How picky of a builder are you?

Lancelot

16 hours ago, Antitheft2 said:

Yup I'm pretty picky...

Just finished my latest "for fun" build which we lovingly call "the mushroom" lol

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ian_highlander/screenshots/

Although I do have the luxury of running my own dedicated servers at home with a few essential mods including S+

The only slightly OCD triggering bit of this build is that the triangular roof pieces don't meet up with the sloped roof pieces at the outer edge, but this seems to be a general Ark problem as it happens with flat ceilings and sloped roofs too.

Holy cow. That's a very nice looking base man. 

Can't get screenshots ATM, but my main base on the island is always a huge 3 foundations wide, 2 walls high hallway suspended over the cove in the south haven. It also has two small 2x3 rooms on each peninsula with ramps going up into the main base, and a large line of tiny bedrooms (I essentially never need to worry about a respawn point ever, since i play single player) The ramps were a pain in the behind to do, and I don't think they're actually attached to the base anymore. I will get screenshots at some point.

*also I used commands so I could replace everything with Tek. I did unlock engrams legit, however*

Too picky and S+ has made this pickiness evolve into borderline OCD. As I'm playing on PvE or SP, I always go for aesthetics and functionality, rather than defence (no boxes or flat roofs, unless it's a landing area).

I love building and would really love to do it more, but the only thing I have to show is my villa, which isn't that interesting, especially compared to @Antitheft2 original building. 

Villa before the great rearrangement of the eco mods:
Uz7sa5O.jpg
The building mechanics in this game can drive anyone insane, even when using S+. The inner walls were driving me bonkers when building this house as they wouldn't line up properly, or one of them would flip, having the wrong side out compared to every other wall in the row. In the end, I had to remove the ceilings and build the walls up from the ground floor to get the proper height on all the walls, and then I had to add/remove the ceiling to get the walls to face the right way. It took hours to do and this is why I usually don't build any larger things in ARK, it just takes too long for me to build a single wall...

24 minutes ago, TotallyUncool said:

The building mechanics in this game can drive anyone insane, even when using S+. The inner walls were driving me bonkers when building this house as they wouldn't line up properly, or one of them would flip, having the wrong side out compared to every other wall in the row. In the end, I had to remove the ceilings and build the walls up from the ground floor to get the proper height on all the walls, and then I had to add/remove the ceiling to get the walls to face the right way. It took hours to do and this is why I usually don't build any larger things in ARK, it just takes too long for me to build a single wall...

Oh it can be absolutely enfuriating at times that's for sure. Just to do the outward glass roofs on the mushroom I had to build walls up from the balcony before it would let me place each one, then place the roof and the next wall above and THEN remove the rest of the walls below again.

That seems to be a pattern with building in ARK, you end up having to add in parts to place something that it won't let you place without them, but once it's in place you can remove most if not all of the parts you added again. Completely non-logical and damned annoying but part of the challenge.

The jumping snap points are a pain in the neck for sure, but usually it's because there's snap points on two adjacent pieces and if you remove one, suddenly you only have the correct snap point available. This is where S+ makes it rather simpler of course as you can pick pieces up when this happens, then replace them afterwards instead of destroying them.

Took me a while to get the hang of cycling between snap points with Q and directions with E before it sort of clicked in my mind though xD

Just finished a huge multi-level greenhouse which I may post some pics of later, like you, we play on PVE and on private servers so no worries about defence other than a few wild dinos which a few strategically placed Plant Species X or turrets deal with fairly quickly anyway.

Next project is a big underwater base using vacuum chambers, have done a massive metal underwater base once before but never with the vacuum pieces so should be fun.

9 minutes ago, Antitheft2 said:

Oh it can be absolutely enfuriating at times that's for sure. Just to do the outward glass roofs on the mushroom I had to build walls up from the balcony before it would let me place each one, then place the roof and the next wall above and THEN remove the rest of the walls below again.

That seems to be a pattern with building in ARK, you end up having to add in parts to place something that it won't let you place without them, but once it's in place you can remove most if not all of the parts you added again. Completely non-logical and damned annoying but part of the challenge.

The jumping snap points are a pain in the neck for sure, but usually it's because there's snap points on two adjacent pieces and if you remove one, suddenly you only have the correct snap point available. This is where S+ makes it rather simpler of course as you can pick pieces up when this happens, then replace them afterwards instead of destroying them.

Took me a while to get the hang of cycling between snap points with Q and directions with E before it sort of clicked in my mind though xD

Just finished a huge multi-level greenhouse which I may post some pics of later, like you, we play on PVE and on private servers so no worries about defence other than a few wild dinos which a few strategically placed Plant Species X or turrets deal with fairly quickly anyway.

Next project is a big underwater base using vacuum chambers, have done a massive metal underwater base once before but never with the vacuum pieces so should be fun.

Sweet, would love to see pictures of the greenhouse. It's always fun to see other people's creations as it's always inspirational.

I've started on a waterpen myself, and I realized I'm halfway out to Carno Island and it's not even close to finished, not even the layout of it. It's going to be the largest thing I've built so far and the other players will hate me for causing lag. xD Building under water can be tricky though, as the bobbing up and down causes you to place pieces where they shouldn't be, so a whole new set of headaches. It's usually worth the hassle in the end though.

3 minutes ago, TotallyUncool said:

Reeeeaaaally nice! If there's something I lack as a builder, it's imagination and I have a tendency to stick to conventional designs, so seeing someone who's able to to the opposite is great. :D

Heh, thanks, it's effectively eight 3x3's snapped and stepped down from each other (four each side) all enclosed in one greenhouse with entrances both ends and then each one enclosed individually. I only had one place in the area we'd chosen to put a greenhouse and it was a slope so insanity took over. Mind you that's a LOT of crystal grinding xD

4 minutes ago, Antitheft2 said:

Heh, thanks, it's effectively eight 3x3's snapped and stepped down from each other (four each side) all enclosed in one greenhouse with entrances both ends and then each one enclosed individually. I only had one place in the area we'd chosen to put a greenhouse and it was a slope so insanity took over. Mind you that's a LOT of crystal grinding xD

Hmm... Sounds like I've been doing the wrong kind of insanity all this time then. xD I've researched the glass building tier in S+ as I really want to use it in my waterpen, so there'll be a lot of crystal grinding for me as well. Not looking forward to it, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

29 minutes ago, TotallyUncool said:

Hmm... Sounds like I've been doing the wrong kind of insanity all this time then. xD I've researched the glass building tier in S+ as I really want to use it in my waterpen, so there'll be a lot of crystal grinding for me as well. Not looking forward to it, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

I used metal and the glassmetal mod for my underwater pen I did a while back. I'll jump across to my center server in a bit and take some snapshots of it incase it's of any interest/help.

@TotallyUncool

Just taken a few screenshots of the over/underwater base. Was a unique one for me, never built out of metal before and loved the end result, but we've never actually used it, as usual with most of my builds, we do them for fun then move on to another one xD

Above water base has large trapdoors and an elevator in the roof (which takes you to the middle floor), there's glass panels strategically placed over the supersized moonpool (for smaller water tames to be accessible from inside the base. Another elevator in the middle floor on the other side goes down to the ground floor with the access to the moonpool. Then near the back of the ground floor there's an access point either side which take you down underwater shafts into underwater viewing rooms, these are interconnected with an underwater tunnel. If you carry on down either of the shafts you enter the main large underwater animal storage area. All the underwater doors and trapdoors are pin coded and can be controlled from a remote panel.

Tried to show it all so it makes sense so there's quite a few pics.

This one is a bit boxy, especially underwater, more out of necessity than anything else though.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ian_highlander/screenshots/

I'm very picky :) I play PvE so I can afford to be, however most of the stuff i build are on officials, so no mods for me :)

Very big satisfaction to play the game in a base that looks good and works the way you want it, if I build on local I never get to "use" it if that makes sense. Then again building is what I find most fun with this game so tend to do that more than grind bosses or breeding, each to his own I suppose :)

No knobs, as little visible cable/pipe as possible, stuff needs to line up properly etc. No gaps towards ground if it can be avoided etc. 

Here's a couple of the latest ones:

https://imgur.com/gallery/KQQ6R

https://imgur.com/gallery/dE3NR

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:00 AM, Coxet79 said:

How does that work? Do you have a screenshot? I'd like to possibly use this idea as my base grows bigger. 

Lol, one of my tribe mates asked me the same thing this weekend... I told him just place a ladder on a current foundation or ceiling in front of where you want to place the thing then climb up a ladder and place it... you will figure it our in 30 seconds. :) It really is pretty easy to figure out. You can destroy the ladder once the item is placed.

I didn't realise just how picky I can be with builds until recently.

A colleague I play with on our own PVE server noticed that I would clean up gaps between ramps and ceilings and has made it his mission to annoy me as much as possible with sketchy builds. 

He will do daft little things like place a wall inside out in the middle of walls going the other way - wood on inside vs outside on a stone wall.  Other things that annoy me he leaves gaps in ramps/ceilings and he recently built a massive greenhouse and decided it had to have an apex roof at the front.... but ever so slightly off center by 1 foundation to the left!!!

He found the ultimate build to annoy me in the last couple of weeks - Elevators!! Wow I really do get frustrated with them things not lining up with the "floors" he has built in our XP tower.  As admin I even tried to sort it out with magic flying/ghosting and the commands to destroy and spawn in replacement track but gave up after a couple hours of frustration.  

He also does this sort of thing with our tames to wind me up.  2 rows of Rex to span most the length of our base and he will pull 2 or 3 and leave them parked the other way so head to tail instead of head to head.

17 minutes ago, teamravegreen said:

@MirageUK How do you get anything accomplished!?!? OCD detection always on high alert!!! xD

He does bring in distractions every now and then to keep me occupied and unaware of his "unique" building style.  Returned home with a Kangaroo for me the other day - elevator is no longer annoying, the Kanga can jump to top floor easily :)

Archived