How picky of a builder are you?

Lancelot

I was wondering how picky everyone can get when building, how far will you go?

Personally I refuse to have pillars sticking out of my ceilings, I like a foundation with only pillars that are all level together.

I'm also very picky when it comes to ramps, I don't like when theres a gap with a between my floor and the ramp, I also don't like when it sticks out too much on the level under. It's never perfect but I usually rebuild my ramps a couple of times for that reason.

I am not picky at all which is why I let my tribe mate do the building and only give advice if he asks and then most of the time i just say whatever you want to do. I trust his building calls. I'll just harvest the materials and make the building pieces to help out. i'd be happy with a floor, a ceiling, and 4 walls with an entry point based upon what we need to get in there.

Best to know your role and just add support to the others. 

it depends on the urgency of the situation.

if i'm in an active PVP session then functionality > form. i do believe with the given the amount of time, land, and resources that an effective base that also looks extremely well is possible, but in PVP i tend to prioritize my safety over the aesthetics.

however, i am still picky in some particulars. for instance, i also can't stand having a gap between the ramp and the ground. it really irks me if the entrance door isn't in the center of the wall, but i will sacrifice this for timeliness sake. i am VERY picky about which direction structures snap, and i am highly against having the inner wall facing outwards. 

i am picky to a degree, but i put my (and my tames') safety first.

I guess I'd say I'm pretty picky... I play on a private PvE server, so I guess I have the luxury.

I've rebuilt my house multiple times, remodeled parts multiple times. I'll take things apart as far as I need to, to get things lined up perfectly (or as perfect as possible). I've even taken apart or rebuilt some of my son's base/house because things don't line up quite right... Luckily I'm using the S+ mod which makes things a lot easier. Until I got hooked on breeding, I was probably 80% build, 20% other stuff... :)

When I'm on PC servers I compulsively honeycomb but don't worry about aesthetics (pretty plain). On PvE/RP servers I'm insanely picky in making sure that my bases are sealed (no rain). I do get really particular on aesthetics in RP servers if I'm doing content creation with others (ie: tea for two). I used to go crazy on making sure my triple/quadruple walls and ceiling all lined up perfectly, but I eventually realized there was no point (not sane).

I build my structures out in autocad and have a spreadsheet that calculates exactly how many of which materials we will need... I then email the plans in PDF form to all my tribe mates. They are mostly boxes, though... nothing too special. I do make some amazing traps, though. The tribe gripes when making them but everyone that visits always talks about how elaborate and thought out they are.

As far as terrain issues I kind of go with the flow. If foundations won't work we do ceilings and pillars. If there is a drop we did not know about we change things up. I always say, "These are the plans, but I don't know if the structure will turn out like this."

I play on a PvE server. I tend to do most of the building (at least for my tribes main base.) I try to be as picky as I can. I figure it not only looks good but typically makes things easier to find and make flow. However, I am okay with things being a little uneven at first. Once base is set up and all crafting stations are developed, then I will go back and even things out.

1 minute ago, Coxet79 said:

I play on a PvE server. I tend to do most of the building (at least for my tribes main base.) I try to be as picky as I can. I figure it not only looks good but typically makes things easier to find and make flow. However, I am okay with things being a little uneven at first. Once base is set up and all crafting stations are developed, then I will go back and even things out.

Now I do use ladders to make everything perfectly straight. I forgot about that pet peeve. My electric lines can go for hundreds of foundations and still be perfectly straight. :)

I only play on pvp servers,  so I like my buildings to look hard and industrial.  I am more picky about hiding wires and generators so they can't be damaged easily but still give full coverage,  and buildings not having blind spots,  or no high points to snipe from,  and I like to make my buildings efficient,  like chem benchs next to the fabs and forges in good places to unload,. I make sure my gates are right to the edges of cliffs so noone can land behind them,  turrets are on the very edge of catwalks, I'm picky about  small breeding rooms I like to make them massive,  

Very picky, they're all boxes but they have to be perfect, water lines, electric cables all perfectly in line, cables under foundations and verticals in pillars, walls have to be on the same snap points, ceilings facing the same way. I don't care if it looks cool, but it has to look orderly. Everything is placed with ladders, cables, pipes, fridges, forges, vaults, etc

I demolished 3 tek replicators because I didn't like the placement but finally got it right the fourth time, the painful part is it wasn't on my server it was on official because a friend wanted me to help them.

I also don't like beds just put anywhere so I sink foundations place beds on it then place another foundation on top to hide it.

I could list more but others have mentioned them in previous posts.

13 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

Now I do use ladders to make everything perfectly straight. I forgot about that pet peeve. My electric lines can go for hundreds of foundations and still be perfectly straight.

How does that work? Do you have a screenshot? I'd like to possibly use this idea as my base grows bigger. 

Yup I'm pretty picky...

Just finished my latest "for fun" build which we lovingly call "the mushroom" lol

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ian_highlander/screenshots/

Although I do have the luxury of running my own dedicated servers at home with a few essential mods including S+

The only slightly OCD triggering bit of this build is that the triangular roof pieces don't meet up with the sloped roof pieces at the outer edge, but this seems to be a general Ark problem as it happens with flat ceilings and sloped roofs too.

Archived