Could player and land dino movement speed be capped?

TangoOsmo

13 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Let's just do away with all builds on everything the kids can't handle it,  

Why have variation?  That's not fun it's better for everyone to just be the same.  

No speed builds no melee builds or weight crafting characters,  just one standard bob that learns set engrams and levels up set stats so we all have the same level 100 character. Same with the Dinos,  why should people be allowed to make a stam rex for meat runs or a weight beaver or an oxygen anky let's just make all dinos the Same as each other. 

Remember how terrible it was when everyone leveld their ptera different?  When some people had stam pteras and others had speed pteras or melee pteras or even a weight ptera.  My God that ruined the game,  it's much better now everyone has the same lame ptera that all have the same speed and you can only level stam on. That really improved the game.

Man...it's a real bummer you're being forced to play this game. It's even a bigger bummer that you're being forced to play this game the way the developers intended it to be played. The biggest bummer is that you don't even have the option to play the game the way you want to play it by customizing the settings to your liking. If only they gave you the option to do whatever you want...like, why can't they set up the game so you can play with your preferred settings instead of the vanilla balance. Such a shame. A missed opportunity. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Man...it's a real bummer you're being forced to play this game. It's even a bigger bummer that you're being forced to play this game the way the developers intended it to be played. The biggest bummer is that you don't even have the option to play the game the way you want to play it by customizing the settings to your liking. If only they gave you the option to do whatever you want...like, why can't they set up the game so you can play with your preferred settings instead of the vanilla balance. Such a shame. A missed opportunity. 

Ye but unofficial is lame and not for long term gamers.

And I was being sarcastic in my first post 

6 hours ago, TangoOsmo said:

That's just stupid. In your opinion also gate quetzals, tanking turrets behind dead body and shooting rockets under mesh are just different playstyles and should be accepted in pvp? It's clearly not intended to have such movementspeed so you can outrun turrets...

All of those things were clever designs or tactics that people had to use thought to use. 

You had the opportunity to make your own gate quetz or build your own row of storage boxes to block Los,  non of the tactics were unavailable to everyone. The game was better then,  if you couldn't kill a Box quetz that was your own fault,  if you was slow enough to let people build a line of large storage boxes up to your Base you deserve to get raided,  c4 pteras ingenious idea and a real life tactic employed by the Japanese,  battering ram paracer etc all good clever ideas that brought fun and variation to the game,  now everything is nerfed to he'll and the only way to raid is tanking bullets for hours on a bronto,  is that really better?  Does it help balance the game?  In the old days these so called exploits gave the little guy a chance,  now only large established tribes can raid successfuly. 

The game should be balanced around fun and clever tactics should be encouraged not nerfed 

Just now, Jerryn said:

Been playing different types of unofficials since July 2015.

I know what you mean but I was on same legacy server all that time,  how many different unofficials were you on?  They all seem to shut down or wipe far to often,  or just be ruled by a spoilt 12 year old,  plus on pc ye I guess unofficial could be fun with the mods but on console it is a wasteland of bad admins and unpopulated servers that close in a month with stupid high rates.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

I know what you mean but I was on same legacy server all that time,  how many different unofficials were you on?  They all seem to shut down or wipe far to often,  or just be ruled by a spoilt 12 year old,  plus on pc ye I guess unofficial could be fun with the mods but on console it is a wasteland of bad admins and unpopulated servers that close in a month with stupid high rates.

My first one I played for few months, until the pop fell, sort of like what happened with the Legacy servers that were repurposed.

Tried a few different ones, which was fun, and then started helping someone else that had their own.  Been running that, plus up to 4 other servers since around Sept 2015.   Servers stay active until they become inactive, and then we try different mods, maps, and settings.

What can I say, been having fun with it for over 2 years now.

As for your generalizations, they are just that, and give them the credit they deserve, just like your original statement about unofficial and long term players.

53 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Let's just do away with all builds on everything the kids can't handle it,  

Why have variation?  That's not fun it's better for everyone to just be the same.  

No speed builds no melee builds or weight crafting characters,  just one standard bob that learns set engrams and levels up set stats so we all have the same level 100 character. Same with the Dinos,  why should people be allowed to make a stam rex for meat runs or a weight beaver or an oxygen anky let's just make all dinos the Same as each other. 

Remember how terrible it was when everyone leveld their ptera different?  When some people had stam pteras and others had speed pteras or melee pteras or even a weight ptera.  My God that ruined the game,  it's much better now everyone has the same lame ptera that all have the same speed and you can only level stam on. That really improved the game.

^This

Lets also make sure that the players can only mindwipe once so they have even less variation.

1 minute ago, Jabroni said:

^This

Lets also make sure that the players can only mindwipe once so they have even less variation.

I've mindwiped 7 times in the past two weeks. You can too...but if you can't handle not getting all of the things that you want all of the time in all of the places that you want to have them, I can see why you're complaining.

11 minutes ago, Jabroni said:

Uhm, I am Level 100 so I can only mindwipe once?

I'm level 100, and I have mindwiped 7 times in the past 2 weeks. That's the benefit of being on unofficial. If you want to be able to mindwipe multiple times per level, you can do that, just not on official. 1 mindwipe per level is what the game developer decided. If you want to play on official servers, you get official settings. Unofficial servers are made specifically for people who don't like the official settings and want more out of the game.

This isn't a fanboy thing...I don't like many of the settings on official either, and that's why I play on unofficial. Unfortunately some people look at the option to have whatever they want on unofficial and think, "Yeah, but I want to do whatever I want over here too!" It's the textbook definition of entitlement. 

1 minute ago, LouSpowells said:

I'm level 100, and I have mindwiped 7 times in the past 2 weeks. That's the benefit of being on unofficial. If you want to be able to mindwipe multiple times per level, you can do that, just not on official. 1 mindwipe per level is what the game developer decided. If you want to play on official servers, you get official settings. If you don't like official settings, then play on official. 

This isn't a fanboy thing...I don't like many of the settings on official either, and that's why I play on unofficial. It's a large part of the reason official exists. Unfortunately some people look at the option to have whatever they want and think, "Yeah, but I want to do whatever I want over here too!"

I would agree with you if the mindwipe wasnt in game for ages already, and if it would be something that completly breakes the game. But thats not how it is.

Just because  I choose to play on official servers doesnt mean I shouldnt have any variation. They nerf stuff because other people cry about it in the first place. "wah Pteranodon OP" wah everybody only uses Pteranodons".

Now we sit here with a basically useless tame (compared to what it was) that you can only level stamina.

- OP complaining about movement Speed on characters.

- The other day a guy was complaining about meele being too strong because he was getting knocked out.

- People complaining about crafting skill because weapons/armor is getting too strong.

See where this is going or why I am annoyed because of this "nerf this" "nerf that" threads?

Official servers will generally provide the most restrictive rule set for balancing purposes.  Everything will be bare bones, options will be limited, the rules restrictive... all in an effort to make the experience as balanced between competitive players as possible.  The inevitable result is that things that can easily unbalance the game, in this case movement speed, will be looked at very closely indeed to see if they provide an imbalance not only in the PVP scenario's mentioned above but also in other area's of the game as well.

Is it unbalancing to be able to run faster than a raptor?  Possibly, but more than just the ability to make it difficult for turrets to hit you will be looked at before that determination is made.  If it's determined that you become impossible to hit, or if it begins to diminish other important area's of the game, a nerf is not out of the question.  Actually, I suppose I should say another nerf.

The same holds true with mindwipes, although I believe the player above is still able to use mindwipes as he attains levels beyond 100.  Min/Maxing is fine, but the ability to Min/Max constantly at the drop of a hat is not fine... and for obvious reasons.

So if you enjoy the multi-server competition (or trade) under a very strict (one might even say restrictive) rule set, official is where you should be playing.  However if you're looking for variety, customization, and creativity unofficial servers are where you would likely be better served.

18 minutes ago, Jabroni said:

I would agree with you if the mindwipe wasnt in game for ages already, and if it would be something that completly breakes the game. But thats not how it is.

Just because  I choose to play on official servers doesnt mean I shouldnt have any variation. They nerf stuff because other people cry about it in the first place. "wah Pteranodon OP" wah everybody only uses Pteranodons".

Now we sit here with a basically useless tame (compared to what it was) that you can only level stamina.

- OP complaining about movement Speed on characters.

- The other day a guy was complaining about meele being too strong because he was getting knocked out.

- People complaining about crafting skill because weapons/armor is getting too strong.

See where this is going or why I am annoyed because of this "nerf this" "nerf that" threads?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but this is where I bring up my frustrations with unrealistic expectations. There were A LOT of things that were "in the game" for a long time...but at the end of the day none of the things that were "in the game" prior to the release date were actually "in the game." At some point many people lost track of the fact that we were all playing a game that was still being developed. 

When mind wipes were first released I recall the cries of, "This negates the point of having levels at all if you never have to worry about building your character stats!" Most players at the time simply assumed that the unlimited mindwipes would be fixed before release, and it was fixed. That's what happened. The same thing goes for flyer movement speed, melee-damage stat scaling per-level, oxygen stat relationship with swim speed, and plenty of other examples that I don't need to keep listing. People made complaints about the imbalances for a long time...and by the time the balance passes started happening, new players started freaking out that the things which allowed them to cheese through the game were being taken from them without recognizing that they never had them to begin with.

Whether you consider a tame useless is entirely up to you...but in reality it's simply less useful than it was when the game was still being developed. This was to be expected. Most folks understood the concept of early access. Many folks understood that the game we played for 2 years prior to release may have vastly different mechanics and stat balances upon release. Some never considered that, and now many of those folks are acting like they have whiplash from something they knew very well was coming.

7 hours ago, TangoOsmo said:

Number of turrets doesn't matter, they just won't shoot you if you move fast enough. Saw this in latest raid, players ran accros full turret range, turrets only aimed them, but didn't shoot untill they stopped at base to plant c4. The even managed to run back. This might only work when server population is near max, but 200% is still way too much.

I'm sorry, but what? I have raided countless bases in my time on ark and can assure you that is 100% false even for 200% movement speed. Turrets set on high with the ability to shoot players will always shoot me if I get within that 27 foundation distance, careless if I am running or walking. If you have witnessed this happening, that was a glitch and not one due to movement speed. Literally last Saturday we were attacking a base and I tried to use my movement speed to get close to just one turret, I didn't get half way there before being shot down. This was wearing nice gear and having a tribe mate trying to distract it by crouching behind an upgraded riot shield. Just one turret, and even then it did not go as planned. If your only reason behind movement speed being to much is because you consider it broken due to it being unrealistic or exploitable like everything if done to an extreme, then tell me why should any other character be able to have 400% melee, 800 carry weight, or 700 health? Any of those stats can be game breaking if used to their full potential. 

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

I'm level 100, and I have mindwiped 7 times in the past 2 weeks. That's the benefit of being on unofficial. If you want to be able to mindwipe multiple times per level, you can do that, just not on official. 1 mindwipe per level is what the game developer decided. If you want to play on official servers, you get official settings. Unofficial servers are made specifically for people who don't like the official settings and want more out of the game.

This isn't a fanboy thing...I don't like many of the settings on official either, and that's why I play on unofficial. Unfortunately some people look at the option to have whatever they want on unofficial and think, "Yeah, but I want to do whatever I want over here too!" It's the textbook definition of entitlement. 

Stop trying to big up unofficial no one is interested,  the only players on unofficial are the ones who got wiped off pvp servers but still want to ark,  or pve players that can't even share a server with other people,  plus on two thirds of the platforms ark is available on there is no mods and unofficials really suck. Maybe on pc unofficial might be fun with enough mods so it's almost a different game but on console it's not an option.

Constant wipes at the whim of a twelve yr old,  or when a new map comes out or a new patch wipes the save or people cry to the admin for it. Stupid level ups that make the game pointless,  insane quick tames like one piece of meat makes half the game pointless like no needing kibble or narcotics. Unofficials make me hate the game. It takes the survival out of ark and breaks the pvp.

Anyone on official doesn't want to go to unofficial.  Most players would rather quit the game and play something else than go unofficial. 

4 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Stop trying to big up unofficial no one is interested,  the only players on unofficial are the ones who got wiped off pvp servers but still want to ark,  or pve players that can't even share a server with other people,  plus on two thirds of the platforms ark is available on there is no mods and unofficials really suck. Maybe on pc unofficial might be fun with enough mods so it's almost a different game but on console it's not an option.

Constant wipes at the whim of a twelve yr old,  or when a new map comes out or a new patch wipes the save or people cry to the admin for it. Stupid level ups that make the game pointless,  insane quick tames like one piece of meat makes half the game pointless like no needing kibble or narcotics. Unofficials make me hate the game. It takes the survival out of ark and breaks the pvp.

Anyone on official doesn't want to go to unofficial.  Most players would rather quit the game and play something else than go unofficial. 

I didn't even realize you were a console player...that makes sense I guess. At very least it explains some of the misconceptions you might have about unofficial server experience most others have had. On PC there are a lot of different types of unofficial servers, many of them mirror official server settings with limited (or zero) mods. There are also plenty of unofficials with increased rates, but it's not like anyone on the server has an advantage PvP-wise...it's just a different playstyle. 

You have to consider that if you're on a PvP server with 15x gathering, everyone is getting x15. It forces the players to consider new ways to survive or successfully raid. Some have rules like "no more than 8 of each turret" or "No flyer PvP," but it's not the buck-wild fest you've indicated you think it is. The cool part PC unofficial players run into is the plethora of playstyles learned from PvPing with so many different server settings. You have more time to work on breeding techniques, building methods, farming and taming tricks, hail-mary PvP tactics, and plenty of other stuff.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the point that it's not all insta-tame and free stuff. I refuse to play on anything higher than 5x anymore unless I'm on a hyper-PvP server with 2-3 week server wipes. 3x gathering with 10x breeding is the sweet spot for those who want to experience the game and still maintain a social, work, and sex life...but none of that will satisfy the urge of someone who is die-hard official.

That all being said, I'd highly recommend giving PC unofficial a try at some point, if only because the experience I've had on it sounds VASTLY different than the experiences you alluded to on console unofficial. Hell, the most fun I've had in Ark is on unofficials with thriving PvP communities...and it's even more fun when you don't dislike the person you just leveled in a raid because at that point it's all in good fun and it doesn't take ages to rebuild. 

9 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

8 hours ago, Jerryn said:

My first one I played for few months, until the pop fell, sort of like what happened with the Legacy servers that were repurposed.

Tried a few different ones, which was fun, and then started helping someone else that had their own.  Been running that, plus up to 4 other servers since around Sept 2015.   Servers stay active until they become inactive, and then we try different mods, maps, and settings.

What can I say, been having fun with it for over 2 years now.

As for your generalizations, they are just that, and give them the credit they deserve, just like your original statement about unofficial and long term players.

Yeah, unofficials are entirely different on PC and console. I didn't even consider unofficials an option when I played on Xbox, but on PC it's definitely a reasonable choice, just not my thing. The Xbox ones seem much more poorly run in general, and like Smokey said, no mods, less options, etc. 

I say let them Wildcard Devs cap everything they want, __BUT__ make it __OPTIONAL__ for unofficial servers.
This means: There should be a switch in the config line like

bCappedFlyerSpeed=True
bCappedWalkerSpeed=True
bCappedPlayerSpeed=True

Or like a float:
FlyerSpeedCap=1.5
Means 150% max flyer speed, this way every admin can decide what max stat to level into speed for flyers.
Studio Wildcard Devs get their flyer nerf, unofficial server admins can decide what they want for their server as max stat and everyone is happy.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I'm still niffed that my racing Paracer that had high speed, no longer runs at a pace that made people crack up... My character also ran a lot faster, but it also got nerfed.

Please... No...

If you're having trouble with PvP and someone running fast, think of ways to catch them rather than having changes made to suit your inability....

18 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

On paper 100hp but in reality when you got 200% move speed any little cliff or hill can become deadly. I've lost count of the number of times I died with my 260% recon char just going over a little bump and end up flying through the air and splat.

do you even parachute?

Archived