Could player and land dino movement speed be capped?

TangoOsmo

Sounds to me like your just forgetting to actually be on those mounts you just said you would rather be on so you can actually be competative. Get yourself a good mount and level it's speed too if need be and you'll desrroy all those pesky and squisky speedsters who likely sacrificed health for speed anyhow. Like it or not this thread is a paper thin 'people play different and I hate that' thread.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Sounds to me like your just forgetting to actually be on those mounts you just said you would rather be on so you can actually be competative. Get yourself a good mount and level it's speed too if need be and you'll desrroy all those pesky and squisky speedsters who likely sacrificed health for speed anyhow. Like it or not this thread is a paper thin 'people play different and I hate that' thread.

You dont need more than 300 health and majority of "speedsters" have this value. ;)

15 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Like it or not this thread is a paper thin 'people play different and I hate that' thread.

Actually I tried to bring some arguments against the way Movement speed currently works. And I asked everyone what you need such high movement speed for but all I heard was 'I WANT to be able to walk that fast' or 'Nobody owes you an explanation'. These are no real reasons for me. It just seems like all of you are afraid of changes again?

3 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Still sounds far closer to being a lack of skill problem than a legitimate problem.

You stated that you're playing singleplayer. Honest question: Have you ever been on pvp fights? I don't mean raids, I'm talking about fights. Because since the start of ark almost everyone pumped movement speed for pvp and do you really think no one thought about a way to counter this? All they came up with were bolas, whips and plant species y because a fight with real weapons against each other didn't make much sense. You always had to lock the enemy down first.

And to say one more thing: Just stop offending and bring at least one real argument. Stop talking about people being bad or whatever. You seem to get angry and agressive everytime i'm saying something you seem to see in a different way. Just convince me that Movement speed is fine the way it is right now and we're good!

you don't understand why would I want to move so fast around the map using my toon alone so now why are you telling me its not a useful thing that I do?

to counter your argument I HAVE to walk around on foot.

also if you realized ark's major game logic flaw, you would do what I do as well. move around as much as possible on foot instead of using dinos.

here's a preview of what I do on foot:

traverse caves

look for wild giga

look for alpha rex

get rid of titans

get rid of whatever dino that should be gone from somewhere

here's some basic reason why you should do consider these on foot instead:

dinos get stuck in caves.

giga will eat your tame.

same for alpha rex

one lag spike is all you need to get your tame killed

1 DC is all it takes to get your tame killed

1 crash to desktop is all you need to get your dino deleted by the server

1 DDoS is all you need to get the server rolling back to probably the time you're doing whatever above and you couldn't get back in in time to continue running away from that titan

ark's major game logic flaw

ark's networking issue

wonderful hackers who wants to see wc close down its business whenever they feel like it

you're on official server

you're on legacy official server 

considering how much time I spend breeding a new dino its really silly to risk them over trivial matters like that. there are still areas where dinos get deleted for no good reason and they just show up in your tribe log as deleted

if you're gonna say "why not use a tamed dino instead" then I'll reply with "why does anyone want to spend even more time in a time sink game doing trivial things"

fun fact: not only I do all these things on foot, I do all these things buttnaked too :3

49 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

you don't understand why would I want to move so fast around the map using my toon alone so now why are you telling me its not a useful thing that I do?

Did I ever say that it's not useful? I just said that I believe there are things you may use a mount for to be as effective as you are on foot right now if I remember right.

52 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

considering how much time I spend breeding a new dino its really silly to risk them over trivial matters like that.

Absolutely agree with that. But there are lots of creatures that are easy to tame and can do the same job pretty efficient too so like this you don't have to risk your best tames. Just think about the raptor. It's so easy to tame, it's fast and you can pump the movement speed to be even faster. Same thing applies to the pteranodon. Like this, your character wont have to be as fast as you can be now. I think there are several ways on how to do the same stuff (except cave runs) with minimal effort. And if you don't want to lose a tame you should leave it in base all the time. It's still a survival game. Especially IF you are playing pvp you have to expect that all your tames could get killed, no matter if it's because of a dc, wild creature or an enemy. As soon as you take it out of your base it's vulnerable. But yeah, I know it's very annoying to lose tames because of dc's etc.

So let's just sum it up. I still think Movement Speed gives way too much benefit and lowers the creativity especially in pvp. But as it seems like it's just me thinking this way, there won't be changes anyway.

I wish you all a wonderful day and have fun surviving!

Greetings Punk.

On 1/13/2018 at 5:43 PM, Punkreas9216 said:

And again i'm gonna ask: What do you need crazy high Movement speed stat for? Because in my opinion you shouldn't be able to outrun every wild creature or any weapons in pvp. And I just can't think of any other reason for such high movement speed stat...

And to give players a chance to kinda outplay wild creatures, smoke grenades could be made to slow down wild creatures and hide you from them. Like this, people won't suffer that much from a movement speed nerf. They would even be given a new mechanic that could be really useful.

So... you challenge me to come up with a creative idea to counter super-speed, I do that, and your response is to ignore my idea and act as though my way of building my character is "wrong"?  I see that reasonable discussion isn't going to happen here.

I wanted to have a reasonable discussion but to be honest i kinda lost most interest to answer everyone (and I'm sorry about that) after the first reactions have only been offensive and not related to anything I wanted to talk about... For example:

"On ‎06‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 8:20 PM, ChargingParacerParacer said:
Other players are well within their right to build their characters how they want to and the rest of the playerbase doesn't honestly care that your bad at pvp and bad at dealing with different strategies yet insist on playing that mode"

But concerning your post: I like the idea of increasing water and food consumption the higher your movementspeed stat is. ? I also thought about higher stamina drain the faster you are running. Don't know if it makes sense but like that people would either be able to only run for a short time or they would have to put lots of points into stam too to compensate that. Because right now, as someone already stated, it's easy to get high movement speed and still have enough points for the other stats like for example 300+ health.

But I'm not sure if a rail gun will help in pvp battles, at least not if you're thinking about it as a stationary weapon. pvp to me is more like the battles in open area.

15 hours ago, Punkreas9216 said:

Actually I tried to bring some arguments against the way Movement speed currently works. And I asked everyone what you need such high movement speed for but all I heard was 'I WANT to be able to walk that fast' or 'Nobody owes you an explanation'. These are no real reasons for me. It just seems like all of you are afraid of changes again?

You stated that you're playing singleplayer. Honest question: Have you ever been on pvp fights? I don't mean raids, I'm talking about fights. Because since the start of ark almost everyone pumped movement speed for pvp and do you really think no one thought about a way to counter this? All they came up with were bolas, whips and plant species y because a fight with real weapons against each other didn't make much sense. You always had to lock the enemy down first.

And to say one more thing: Just stop offending and bring at least one real argument. Stop talking about people being bad or whatever. You seem to get angry and agressive everytime i'm saying something you seem to see in a different way. Just convince me that Movement speed is fine the way it is right now and we're good!

Had a far longer response earlier but my internet decided to go down before I finished. Yay lol. 

The gist of it though no I've never played PVP and have zero desire to because the blatant truth of it is this game along with far too many other games that have PVP are never going to have true balance. There are simply too many people who chase the current 'meta' of the supposed best way to win and just because Wildcard decides to completely ruin speed as a functional stat doesn't mean those people will start playing whatever way you deem proper. A month or 2 after it happens there will just be a brand new bestest meta technique and soon after you'll be in some other thread asking it to be nerfed too and saying you 'don't get it' why others choose to play like that. (Implying anyone else really needs to care whether you 'get it' or not.) 

As has already been explained when people ask for big changes it affects everyone, not just PVP. Sorry but a change shouldn't be made simply to cater to 1/3 of the fanbase and that's being extremely generous with the numbers because not every PVPer even agrees with you. I don't want this game in another Flyer nerf situation where they wholely castrate customization from a group of dinos to please a minority. Nearly a year later and there still isn't a proper way to fix that unless you play on PC and use CF Mod. A lot of us console players got screwed over by oned bad decision already, 2 for the people who also don't like the turret nerf.

Skip ahead to the final chapter and just nerf it all. Every stat on every creature should jjst be a flat 100% Armor can merely be cosmetic. All weapons can do the same amount of damage for ghe sake of balance and fairness. All small dinos do same amount of damage. All medium do the same. All large do the same.

Crafty players would still find mechanics to exploit though.

4 hours ago, Punkreas9216 said:

I wanted to have a reasonable discussion but to be honest i kinda lost most interest to answer everyone (and I'm sorry about that) after the first reactions have only been offensive and not related to anything I wanted to talk about... For example:

"On ‎06‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 8:20 PM, ChargingParacerParacer said:
Other players are well within their right to build their characters how they want to and the rest of the playerbase doesn't honestly care that your bad at pvp and bad at dealing with different strategies yet insist on playing that mode"

But concerning your post: I like the idea of increasing water and food consumption the higher your movementspeed stat is. ? I also thought about higher stamina drain the faster you are running. Don't know if it makes sense but like that people would either be able to only run for a short time or they would have to put lots of points into stam too to compensate that. Because right now, as someone already stated, it's easy to get high movement speed and still have enough points for the other stats like for example 300+ health.

But I'm not sure if a rail gun will help in pvp battles, at least not if you're thinking about it as a stationary weapon. pvp to me is more like the battles in open area.

Logically, it would be the opposite.  Faster movement speed generally comes from working out leg muscles, which is almost always done by cardio exercise which causes stamina growth, not degradation.  If the argument is "People are running past base defenses because of their crazy movement speed." then a direct counter to that problem is to create a defense that will specifically target the fastest available target, and destroy him.  If you're talking about open areas, then you're not talking about base raiding, and then the argument becomes "I can't hit him because he's moving too fast!!!"  but at the same time, HE can't hit YOU because he's moving too fast.  I mentioned before, I use between 160-170 movement speed myself.  Combat at that speed is 100% luck.  You have the same chance of hitting me as I have of hitting you.  It's NOT a plus for movement speed.  The base defenses argument is very valid, and that's where my automatic rail gun turret idea comes into play.  H2H combat argument, though, is coming from a perspective that has never actually tried it, and doesn't properly understand it. 

Regardless of that wall of text, though, my original point still stands.  It goes for more than just this, also.  We should NEVER be calling for nerfs.  Rather than calling for nerfs, let's state a problem, and provide a creative suggestion on how to fix that problem.  Calling for nerfs is destructive.  Providing suggestions to fix the problem is constructive.  This was my whole point from the beginning.

21 hours ago, Punkreas9216 said:

Did I ever say that it's not useful? I just said that I believe there are things you may use a mount for to be as effective as you are on foot right now if I remember right.

Absolutely agree with that. But there are lots of creatures that are easy to tame and can do the same job pretty efficient too so like this you don't have to risk your best tames. Just think about the raptor. It's so easy to tame, it's fast and you can pump the movement speed to be even faster. Same thing applies to the pteranodon. Like this, your character wont have to be as fast as you can be now. I think there are several ways on how to do the same stuff (except cave runs) with minimal effort. And if you don't want to lose a tame you should leave it in base all the time. It's still a survival game. Especially IF you are playing pvp you have to expect that all your tames could get killed, no matter if it's because of a dc, wild creature or an enemy. As soon as you take it out of your base it's vulnerable. But yeah, I know it's very annoying to lose tames because of dc's etc.

So let's just sum it up. I still think Movement Speed gives way too much benefit and lowers the creativity especially in pvp. But as it seems like it's just me thinking this way, there won't be changes anyway.

I wish you all a wonderful day and have fun surviving!

Greetings Punk.

yes you did say it is not useful. you quoted me as WANT to not because I NEED to

again you're skipping all the ideas I'm putting across and packaging it your way. you're not looking for a counter. you're looking for approvals.

I will not be replying to this thread anymore.

2 hours ago, HiImZech said:

yes you did say it is not useful. you quoted me as WANT to not because I NEED to

Okay so when I'm saying you want to be able to do it on foot though there are a few alternatives I'm saying it's not useful? Just to make it clearer, having alternatives doesn't mean something isn't useful! Having alternatives is a good thing! If you still prefer doing everything on foot, go for it, I don't care. I just said that there are other options to do some of the things you said.

2 hours ago, HiImZech said:

again you're skipping all the ideas I'm putting across and packaging it your way. you're not looking for a counter. you're looking for approvals.

When did I skip all the ideas you put across? I even admitted that I agree with many of the reasons you were putting across!!!

On ‎15‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 2:59 PM, Punkreas9216 said:
On ‎15‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 1:44 PM, HiImZech said:

considering how much time I spend breeding a new dino its really silly to risk them over trivial matters like that.

Absolutely agree with that.

And right after that i just showed some possible alternatives! Yes, POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES.

But yeah, let's just leave it as it is now, you all clearly showed me that most people aren't interested in a change.

Thats exactly the problem i'm seeing in current movement speed concerning pvp, just as i stated right from the beginning: There is no real alternative in pvp, it's kinda the only way to be competitive.

If you want me to, I am admitting that pumping movement speed is a way (alternative), the sad thing is there seems to be NOT A SINGLE other one :D

Maybe I should clear it out for my final comment on this:

I wanted to see a nerf on Movement speed because I wanted alternative ways to build my character and to use different weapons without having a huge disadvantage in pvp. I feel like movement speed right now gives just too much benefit. And as some of you kinda admitted that you're pumping movement speed too, a few may actually admit that movement speed gives a lot of benefit and that this is the reason why you have high movement speed. In my personal opinion, it just gives too much of a benefit compared to other stats.

That's all I wanted to say. And that might be all I'm gonna say, I'll just leave it as it is now. I see that most people seem to disagree with me and that's okay, I accept that!

14 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Skip ahead to the final chapter and just nerf it all. Every stat on every creature should jjst be a flat 100% Armor can merely be cosmetic. All weapons can do the same amount of damage for ghe sake of balance and fairness. All small dinos do same amount of damage. All medium do the same. All large do the same.

Crafty players would still find mechanics to exploit though.

Sounds like what Communism would want to achieve in the real world.

5 minutes ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

The people that cry for nerfs certainly want to dictate how everyone should 'properly' play, and Wildcard is happy to oblige with lazy half baked blanket nerfs for all.

Well, they seem to feel speed is in a good place right now.  I'm not entirely sure I agree with that, but I do recognize that movement speed is always a bit tricky in combat games with variable stats.  You have to be able to make it a viable tactic to specialize in it, but at the same time it can't be allowed to be a game breaking "I WIN" button in combat.

Not as easy as you would think, and it's certain that no matter where you finally set things a LOT of folks are going to disagree.

Archived