Could player and land dino movement speed be capped?

TangoOsmo

problem is what people complain about we players who don't pvp get hit with it in pve. Everything flows down hill whatever happens you guys have issues with and don't like we feel the blunt of it, nothing against pvp players I think the rules should be different. Some of us breed to try to get amaziong dinos others build etc and when something changes oon pvp side all our servers get hit and I am sure its the oppiste on your end you feel what we go through too. They should never have nerfed fliers have you ever tried flying on ragnarock from one end to the other on a quetzal?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, LittleMickey said:

problem is what people complain about we players who don't pvp get hit with it in pve. Everything flows down hill whatever happens you guys have issues with and don't like we feel the blunt of it, nothing against pvp players I think the rules should be different. Some of us breed to try to get amaziong dinos others build etc and when something changes oon pvp side all our servers get hit and I am sure its the oppiste on your end you feel what we go through too. They should never have nerfed fliers have you ever tried flying on ragnarock from one end to the other on a quetzal?

I play on official PvP and I hate the flyer nerf just like my whole tribe and thousand of other PvPers.

WC just wanted to force the Players to use land dinos more.

The way they nerfed it was horrible too. They could have removed the picking from the ptera and give the barrel roll a cooldown. Lower the Quetzals HP and make the rider on a platform vurnerable and so on.

Instead they just cut down speed and stamina on all flyers and made the game even more of a chore. I literally hate to use a Quetz now even though it was an awesome tame.

18 hours ago, MandaBear said:

I'm sorry, but what? I have raided countless bases in my time on ark and can assure you that is 100% false even for 200% movement speed. Turrets set on high with the ability to shoot players will always shoot me if I get within that 27 foundation distance, careless if I am running or walking. If you have witnessed this happening, that was a glitch and not one due to movement speed. Literally last Saturday we were attacking a base and I tried to use my movement speed to get close to just one turret, I didn't get half way there before being shot down. This was wearing nice gear and having a tribe mate trying to distract it by crouching behind an upgraded riot shield. Just one turret, and even then it did not go as planned. If your only reason behind movement speed being to much is because you consider it broken due to it being unrealistic or exploitable like everything if done to an extreme, then tell me why should any other character be able to have 400% melee, 800 carry weight, or 700 health? Any of those stats can be game breaking if used to their full potential. 

It might be that it only occurs when server is almost full and lag is real. But i've seen countless cave raids and base raids where people run and jump with high movement speed reaching the base without getting killed. Same was in our previous raid, and they were even able to run back after placing c4, at least 20 turrets on high range. And it's unbalanced on other areas of pvp as well. 150 or even 180% cap (including boosts) wouldn't break the possibility to do different builds but it would balance the fact that the game doesn't work well with fast moving objects.

But once again as people have mentioned here, no PVP balance is ever needed because everyone has the same opportunity to use different tactics, glithces and exploits... Maybe dupeing on Legacy was part of the game as well since everyone knew how to do it at the end. Too bad that they fixed lamp posts...

You are supposed to ride dinos... not run around the map with a speed that pretty much breaks the client prediction code. I've seen players on official running around with disease trying to infect everyone they can. They are running so fast that you can barely see them until they stop and cough and take off again. The movement speed is just stupid. If you like this silly move speed go play on some unofficial server that allows it. Default game settings should have the player move speed capped hard. Want to go faster? Get on a dino...

45 minutes ago, Mctoozle said:

The movement speed is just stupid. If you like this silly move speed go play on some unofficial server that allows it. Default game settings should have the player move speed capped hard. Want to go faster? Get on a dino...

Right here is the Problem lol

If YOU dont like the silly movement Speed on official then YOU can go to unofficial Servers and make your character move like an Achantina.

• 3 months later...
On ‎04‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 7:35 AM, ChargingParacerParacer said:

The real question to ask ourselves is can the playerbase ever learn the art of GitGud and learn to actually deal with different playstyles instead of expecting the devs to compensate for thei lack of actual skill at pvp; therefore making the game worse for literally everyone else??

If different strategies are too much for you to handle then stick to solo or PvE and dont touch your speed stats. Problem solved without breaking everyone elses fun.

It's been a while now but I think Movementspeed is still an issue that needs to receive some changes.

'Problem solved without breaking everyone elses fun' - i mean, is it fun? For me definitely not. I'm losing more and more fun on pvp cause everyone is just running like crazy. I still think the game is called 'Ark SURVIVAL EVOLVED', and not 'Flash - the game'. So it shouldn't be all about running faster than everything else.

For example smaller creatures are completly useless cause everyone is running faster than ur mount. And fireweapons aren't as useful as they should be cause players are just running faster than u can aim. I know that rust has a completely different style, but in my opinion pvp is way better in that game. People are actually using fireweapons except shotguns where u don't have to aim that good.

So in my opinion, capping (maybe even on 100%?) speed on players would make pvp way better. And to adress some problems with surviving in the wild, give smoke grenades a real use! Let it slow wild creatures down to their base movementspeed because they can't see through the smoke. Like this you can easily outrun any carnivore even without pumping movementspeed!

Other players are well within their right to build their characters how they want to and the rest of the playerbase doesn't honestly care that your bad at pvp and bad at dealing with different strategies yet insist on playing that mode. Pvp isn't the only mode anyways and several changes that were made strictly to please pvp whiners have made the game worse for too many other people.

18 hours ago, Punkreas9216 said:

It's been a while now but I think Movementspeed is still an issue that needs to receive some changes.

'Problem solved without breaking everyone elses fun' - i mean, is it fun? For me definitely not. I'm losing more and more fun on pvp cause everyone is just running like crazy. I still think the game is called 'Ark SURVIVAL EVOLVED', and not 'Flash - the game'. So it shouldn't be all about running faster than everything else.

So in my opinion, capping (maybe even on 100%?) speed on players would make pvp way better. And to adress some problems with surviving in the wild, give smoke grenades a real use! Let it slow wild creatures down to their base movementspeed because they can't see through the smoke. Like this you can easily outrun any carnivore even without pumping movementspeed!

so.. what does Evolution do? Can you not EVOLVE to manage that issue? Evolve yourself, and don't force stagnation on everyone else. Your weight, HP, and stamina are capped at 100. Now, play in PvP, or PvE, and that's the ONLY way you can play now. Your melee, 100%, no more. Now, how much fun is the game for you? Everything, and everyone evolves different strategies. if you're losing fun. It's time for YOU to move on, you are not allowed to force your views on us.

Go into single player, hit tab. type "addexperience 10000000000 0 0" but EVERY point into fort, and play like that, you can use any engrams you like, but you can't have anything but fort. Go enjoy the game that way.

Speed has been so badly nerfed already, what we used to be able to do at 150% (with 100 weight) now takes 195% or higher, because of people like you! If I want to play some way, who are YOU to tell me I cannot?

4 hours ago, Zederia said:

Speed has been so badly nerfed already, what we used to be able to do at 150% (with 100 weight) now takes 195% or higher, because of people like you! If I want to play some way, who are YOU to tell me I cannot?

Am I telling you that u can't play as u wish? You and chargingparacerparacer seem to be pretty aggressive... I just said what's on my mind. I never said 'do it that way or leave the game' like you are doing! If you have a different view, alright, but don't blame me for what the devs did to movementspeed! I just wanted to talk about this issue. And don't tell me I'm bad because I think movement speed only is boring!

So let's talk about it respectfully! I never offended you and I expect you to be able to behave the same way.

4 hours ago, Zederia said:

.. what does Evolution do? Can you not EVOLVE to manage that issue? Evolve yourself, and don't force stagnation on everyone else.

Alright, let's talk about evolution. I've been playing ark since early access on xbox and since then, the way to play ark was 'get high movement speed or lose'. Where is the evolution? I can't see any. To me it seems like the strategy has always been the same. So for me, this is just boring because I will have a huge disadvantage in battles if I don't have high movement speed myself. And the fact that everyone has very high movement speed makes so many things in the game completly useless.

Once more, THIS IS MY OPINION. So tell me yours, but let's talk about the stuff and don't blame me for any decisions WC has made! Save your anger for someone else!

ou said movement speed needs nerfed even more, I completely disagree. It's already been shot to the ground. why do we need more? What used to take 10 levels now takes 30, and that's if you don't increase weight 1 point, if you do that, it becomes 35, and then +15 and then +25 and then +40, just for 120, 130 and 140 weight. Do you think I find it fun I have to sacrifice over 30 levels to movement speed to get the same speed I used to enjoy? Tell me, how can I enjoy the game if I have to keep sacrificing more and more to get the same enjoyment? I don't PvP. so why do I have to take the hit because you can't handle the movement speed?

But i have one last honest question: What do you really need such high movement speed for?

- Traveling? You're supposed to use mounts for this. That's what they are meant to help you with.

- Transporting stuff? You're supposed to use mounts for this. That's what they are meant to help you with too.

- Outrunning wild creatures? Are you really supposed to outrun any wild creature?

I wouldn't need high movement speed at all. In my base i only have very short ways and when I'm outside of my base I always have a mount.

The main reason I wanted to see a change on Movement speed is that there is just no alternative in pvp. Since I started playing in early access you had to pump movement speed if you wanted to take part.

Just for some perspective: 

turrets have a hard time tracking you after 220 movement speed. 

Players can theoretically gain a lot more than 220 ms

Base ms = 100

130 levels (max cap) 1.5 x 130

this puts you at 295 ms

after getting infected by swamp fever you gain 20% movement so now you add 59 more ms

Then you use fria curry for another 25% movement speed boost for another gain of 73.75 (rounded to 74) ms

your total movement speed is now 

428%

Which effectively means you can go through a wall before it renders because the game cannot render assets in time.

There is not a way for a turret to track you because when you're running at 428 movement speed you can outrun bred speed gallimimus 

ark used to have a direction where you can rely on your own cleverness or rely on dinos to get things done. or at least thats how I felt.

further speed nerf is kinda going against this mindset. a speed cap will be a better solution, but I guess there's no way to please both sides of the same issue

why would a level 130 guy puts all his points into speed and unable to mindwipe it off more than once is beyond me.

why would even a level 100 mule do that its a waste of money and time investing in flash paper

assuming people just puts their point up to where turrets can't track, with the other buffs, that still makes them paper. health and weight are both important.

if anyone is going to say "oh they can outrun everything they don't need any protection" hasn't really gotten rekt'd by a constantly mashing/macroing LMB giga/titan/quetz

imo your best shot with these paper build are C4 chargers (literally charging in with c4 on their back xD ). but I remember C4 weighs you down now so how are you going to do that?

4 hours ago, HiImZech said:

ark used to have a direction where you can rely on your own cleverness or rely on dinos to get things done. or at least thats how I felt.

I feel this way too. That's why I suggest giving the smoke grenade a real use. And I kinda feel like you may actually have to face some danger in a survival game. Especially when you can use all kinds of weapons to defend yourself. The way it is right now has just nothing to do with own cleverness in my opinion as it just relies to the own movement speed. Around 150 Movement Speed is enough to easily outrun anything and that is pretty easy to achieve. But yeah, you're right, I don't think there is a way to please everyone so I'm just saying what I think about it.

4 hours ago, HiImZech said:

why would a level 130 guy puts all his points into speed and unable to mindwipe it off more than once is beyond me.

Pretty much everyone having a pvp-character has 150+ movement speed. In my old tribe it was even a requirement to have at least around 140 movement speed if you wanted to join.

Let's not all forget that when you all call for nerfs based on PvP gameplay, the nerf blankets PvE.  I don't want to HAVE to boost my movement speed up to 200% just to be able to do what I do now at 160%.  I wish people would stop calling for nerfs and think of CREATIVE ways to fix problems.  Movement speed is a little overpowered in PvP?  Think of something creative that they could implement to COUNTER it.  This way, if someone wants to build their character that way, you can have defenses against it.

If you have a creative way to counter movementspeed - which is so crazy that all weapons except shotguns and bolas are useless - tell me. I already thought about it a lot but I can't imagine how you want to make weapons useful if everyone is running faster than you can aim. Maybe that's even a reason why people are feeling the need for an aimbot, which has flooded official pvp?

I know that pve players won't profit at all from such a change but I'm pretty sure that wildcard can actually disable such a change for pve by implementing an option to the hosting menu.

13 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

Let's not all forget that when you all call for nerfs based on PvP gameplay, the nerf blankets PvE.  I don't want to HAVE to boost my movement speed up to 200% just to be able to do what I do now at 160%.  I wish people would stop calling for nerfs and think of CREATIVE ways to fix problems.  Movement speed is a little overpowered in PvP?  Think of something creative that they could implement to COUNTER it.  This way, if someone wants to build their character that way, you can have defenses against it.

This is Ark: Survival Evolved. This game should be about surviving. Where do you have challenge, when you can outrun any dino or danger? You should beat environment with cleverness, not just with broken mechanic.

Developers definitely didn't know how this game will be played. They didn't though that players are going to push with 20 brontos at once, that 60 dinos are going to fight each other at once or that people are going to use megaspeed to avoid any challenge or use it to skip defenses at bases.

1 hour ago, isu said:

This is Ark: Survival Evolved. This game should be about surviving. Where do you have challenge, when you can outrun any dino or danger? You should beat environment with cleverness, not just with broken mechanic.

Developers definitely didn't know how this game will be played. They didn't though that players are going to push with 20 brontos at once, that 60 dinos are going to fight each other at once or that people are going to use megaspeed to avoid any challenge or use it to skip defenses at bases.

Not one thing you said countered anything I said. My post was to say think of creative things wild card can implement to counter players who focus on speed instead of other things. Here's an idea, the faster a player moves, the faster he becomes hungry and thirsty. This makes sense even in the real world. Very fit people have high metabolisms. This means they eat often and large portions. On top of that, running causes sweating, which needs hydration. This won't cure Pvp issues with movement speed, but it's a way to lessen the drive to push it to ridiculous levels. How about a slow rate of fire rail gun that prioritizes fast moving targets for base defenses?  Being a rail gun, it could easily break armor and deal a significant amount of damage. (1shot if naked, ruined armor and severe injury even if armored.) 

Again... Creativity to counter gameplay styles instead of "Start swinging the nerf bat, Wild Card!" 

And again i'm gonna ask: What do you need crazy high Movement speed stat for? Because in my opinion you shouldn't be able to outrun every wild creature or any weapons in pvp. And I just can't think of any other reason for such high movement speed stat...

And to give players a chance to kinda outplay wild creatures, smoke grenades could be made to slow down wild creatures and hide you from them. Like this, people won't suffer that much from a movement speed nerf. They would even be given a new mechanic that could be really useful.

3 hours ago, Punkreas9216 said:

And again i'm gonna ask: What do you need crazy high Movement speed stat for? Because in my opinion you shouldn't be able to outrun every wild creature or any weapons in pvp. And I just can't think of any other reason for such high movement speed stat...

And to give players a chance to kinda outplay wild creatures, smoke grenades could be made to slow down wild creatures and hide you from them. Like this, people won't suffer that much from a movement speed nerf. They would even be given a new mechanic that could be really useful.

I want to move from my base at red obo to carno island in less than 10 mins.

I'm on pve and my ms is at 180

sometimes I need to pull titan away from my base so I run in punch its tail then run into the ocean

lots of use for high movement speed

4 hours ago, Punkreas9216 said:

And again i'm gonna ask: What do you need crazy high Movement speed stat for? 

Because I play singleplayer and am 100% finished with being told how to 'prroperly' play a game that no one else here bought for me or helped me pay for. ?  ? Nobody owes you an explaination for why they dare like certain parts of the game.

8 hours ago, HiImZech said:

I want to move from my base at red obo to carno island in less than 10 mins.

I'm on pve and my ms is at 180

sometimes I need to pull titan away from my base so I run in punch its tail then run into the ocean

lots of use for high movement speed

But nothing you HAVE to do on foot. You WANT to do it on foot, just like I WANT to allow proper pvp with weapons :).

7 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Nobody owes you an explaination for why they dare like certain parts of the game.

I never blamed anyone for liking the way Movement speed is right now, i just asked why they like it because i personally (i am talking ONLY FOR MYSELF) can't understand it. I dont see why i (again ONLY ME) should be able to have insanly high Movement speed when i feel like i should have to use mounts in this game to be faster. And i dont see a reason why i should get kinda forced to pump movement speed if i want to stand a chance in pvp.

To me it feels like i would be playing battlefield but i am faster than any tank or helicopter chasing me and anyone else is running almost too fast to properly aim at them. Like this there wont be a need for tanks, helicopters and most weapons. This is just an example. To me (i am talking only for me again :D) it feels wrong seeing what possibilites high movement speed give you right now.

And finally i think the amount of points people are investing into Movement Speed shows pretty clearly that its the most useful (maybe even broken?) stat in the current state. 

Archived