Could player and land dino movement speed be capped?

TangoOsmo

Is it really intended that players are able to run faster than anything? Is it necessary that players with 200% movement speed can outrun turrets and suicide to base? Is it cool that gallimus can move faster than rendered? Imo no. To balance PvP player movement speed needs to be capped at 150% and dino movementspeed something that dino can't move trough the rendering distance without rendering.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Dracul said:

Default speeds are too low but its too easy to reach absurd movement even post nerf, if SOTF was to make a comeback you'd likely still see the same gameplay style as pre-nerf speed: everyone tanks levels into speed and a bit into weight, if your moving at subsonic speeds across the map 100hp is plenty.

I'm pretty sure move speed was nerfed in SOTF long before the main game nerf.

Oh god, please no more nerfs to movement speed. Capping movement speed would kill my character build completely. I already have to invest most of my points into speed after that last nerf just taking off .5, so the rest of my stats are garbage. All I can do is run, and before I get accused of suiciding bases like mentioned above, auto turrets are faster than me still (190 movement speed atm). The only way I could outrun the turn of one would be if there was just a singular turret...in which case that base has many other problems anyways. A movement speed character trying to pvp is never a good idea since I literally have 150 - 200 health max. And if I have 200, then be sure that I can't wear any riot armor since my carry weight is just about base which balances that out. I mainly use my speed to run caves, swim to the bottom of the ocean to get pearls, agro wild dinos away, get a giga to chase me into a trap, and generally not get beat down in scorched earth every 2 seconds. 

36 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

Oh god, please no more nerfs to movement speed. Capping movement speed would kill my character build completely. I already have to invest most of my points into speed after that last nerf just taking off .5, so the rest of my stats are garbage. All I can do is run, and before I get accused of suiciding bases like mentioned above, auto turrets are faster than me still (190 movement speed atm). The only way I could outrun the turn of one would be if there was just a singular turret...in which case that base has many other problems anyways. A movement speed character trying to pvp is never a good idea since I literally have 150 - 200 health max. And if I have 200, then be sure that I can't wear any riot armor since my carry weight is just about base which balances that out. I mainly use my speed to run caves, swim to the bottom of the ocean to get pearls, agro wild dinos away, get a giga to chase me into a trap, and generally not get beat down in scorched earth every 2 seconds. 

get a swamp fever and consume focal chili - that will boost your speed quite a bit.

1 hour ago, MandaBear said:

The issue isn't out-running them, that's extremely hard to do. The problem is running up to them/their base. 350 health + good flak + high movement speed + C4 = breached base unless turret density is absurd or the perimeter is set up very intelligently. 25 points into health and 155.5% speed still affords you 37 spare points to play with for more health/stam/weight/speed etc on a level 100 character. You, for example, could get that speed up to 190% with 350 health and still afford 240 weight. You wouldn't be a good melee fighter but you're too fast to catch so it's almost a non issue, and good weapons/armor can even the field in that regard. 

2 hours ago, TangoOsmo said:

Is it really intended that players are able to run faster than anything? Is it necessary that players with 200% movement speed can outrun turrets and suicide to base? Is it cool that gallimus can move faster than rendered? Imo no. To balance PvP player movement speed needs to be capped at 150% and dino movementspeed something that dino can't move trough the rendering distance without rendering.

Oh for the love of god please no.

Your base has to have less then 10 turrets for a speed character to do any damage. Not to mention turrets on a roof with no hatch frame or catwalks for this to even matter. If you have a 360 coverage and a decent base there should be nowhere someone can just run up to your building without atleast getting pelted.

The last speed nerf was aids and this would make the game damn near unplayable. It takes me forever to get around on dinos as it is, atleast on foot I can choose to be faster which is an option for everyone.

You must have been offline raided which id be willing to bet you have a less then adequate building. People who are good at pvp adapt they don't jump on a forum to cry about nerfing something.

4 hours ago, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

The issue isn't out-running them, that's extremely hard to do. The problem is running up to them/their base. 350 health + good flak + high movement speed + C4 = breached base unless turret density is absurd or the perimeter is set up very intelligently. 25 points into health and 155.5% speed still affords you 37 spare points to play with for more health/stam/weight/speed etc on a level 100 character. You, for example, could get that speed up to 190% with 350 health and still afford 240 weight. You wouldn't be a good melee fighter but you're too fast to catch so it's almost a non issue, and good weapons/armor can even the field in that regard. 

That type of build alone would not work on more than one auto turret max. Most bases have multiple levels of defense going for them when they are at the tier of auto turret like metal walls, plants, spikes, or even just multiple turrets from more than a straight line at the front.  If the person you are trying to raid has a turret set on high, you will take a few shots before making it to the front of that with even my movement speed. The slower the character, the increase in bullets you take from the turrets. Recently the auto turrets had a major increase in damage output. A 155 movement speed character can not possibly cross 27 foundations worth of distance before enough bullets had been shot out to kill them. Even with good flak, a character can only tank maybe 4-5 bullets before dropping. Once a turret begins firing there is only a small delay at first, and then the rate of fire maxes out. That second of delay at the beginning is all a player has to work with. If there are 2 turrets firing at once, or even a single plant shot makes contact, its all over. If the counter argument to that is to swerve, each time you maneuver from a straight line it lowers your speed and causes more harm than good. 

The real question to ask ourselves is can the playerbase ever learn the art of GitGud and learn to actually deal with different playstyles instead of expecting the devs to compensate for thei lack of actual skill at pvp; therefore making the game worse for literally everyone else??

If different strategies are too much for you to handle then stick to solo or PvE and dont touch your speed stats. Problem solved without breaking everyone elses fun.

13 hours ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

Oh for the love of god please no.

Your base has to have less then 10 turrets for a speed character to do any damage. Not to mention turrets on a roof with no hatch frame or catwalks for this to even matter. If you have a 360 coverage and a decent base there should be nowhere someone can just run up to your building without atleast getting pelted.

The last speed nerf was aids and this would make the game damn near unplayable. It takes me forever to get around on dinos as it is, atleast on foot I can choose to be faster which is an option for everyone.

You must have been offline raided which id be willing to bet you have a less then adequate building. People who are good at pvp adapt they don't jump on a forum to cry about nerfing something.

Number of turrets doesn't matter, they just won't shoot you if you move fast enough. Saw this in latest raid, players ran accros full turret range, turrets only aimed them, but didn't shoot untill they stopped at base to plant c4. The even managed to run back. This might only work when server population is near max, but 200% is still way too much.

7 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

The real question to ask ourselves is can the playerbase ever learn the art of GitGud and learn to actually deal with different playstyles instead of expecting the devs to compensate for thei lack of actual skill at pvp; therefore making the game worse for literally everyone else??

If different strategies are too much for you to handle then stick to solo or PvE and dont touch your speed stats. Problem solved without breaking everyone elses fun.

That's just stupid. In your opinion also gate quetzals, tanking turrets behind dead body and shooting rockets under mesh are just different playstyles and should be accepted in pvp? It's clearly not intended to have such movementspeed so you can outrun turrets...

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, Dracul said:

Default speeds are too low but its too easy to reach absurd movement even post nerf, if SOTF was to make a comeback you'd likely still see the same gameplay style as pre-nerf speed: everyone tanks levels into speed and a bit into weight, if your moving at subsonic speeds across the map 100hp is plenty.

On paper 100hp is ok but in reality when you got 200% move speed any little cliff or hill can become deadly. I've lost count of the number of times I died with my 260% recon char just going over a little bump and end up flying through the air and splat.

All that speed and 100hp is juuust enough to see that blurry ground disappear from beneath you as you happily dart about the landscape, then hit a nice 12ft drop that'll cripple you and allow whatever predator nearby to just go on ahead and finish you off. If the fall of various heights hadn't already killed you first...or you ramp off of some random rock and launch yourself 30 orso yards into the air, then die on impact. Every build is its own double-edged sword.  You do realize that speedsters spend a fair amount of time killing themselves via uneven terrain, right?

Still fun though. The others are correct: This goes completely down the toilet with the current nerfs.

9 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

I totally agree,

This is how the flyer nerf , land dino stamina nerf , land dino speed nerf and giga nerf started - Lets put this One to bed !  - before snails become the hardest fastest things in the game.:)

12 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

I agree. It's getting a bit out of control. The problem is that a bunch of the people who started playing Ark haven't ever played a game that requires strategy beyond "Face this way and shoot your bullets at those people!"

Regarding movement speed, it's fine the way it is. The balance is actually pretty good considering if you want a crazy high speed build you're sacrificing a lot of other stats.

5 hours ago, TangoOsmo said:

That's just stupid. In your opinion also gate quetzals, tanking turrets behind dead body and shooting rockets under mesh are just different playstyles and should be accepted in pvp? It's clearly not intended to have such movementspeed so you can outrun turrets...

Speed works as it's supposed to. That's quite a nice Strawman you tried and failed to erect though. :)

3 minutes ago, Mctoozle said:

I think player movement speed is insane and needs to be nerfed hard. Player should never run faster than a raptor.

Why do you think that? In order to have 'insane' movement speed your dumping points into it where as could be spent on health, weight etc so you can be quick but have like 100hp so get 1 hit whats unbalanced about that ?

9 minutes ago, Mctoozle said:

I think player movement speed is insane and needs to be nerfed hard. Player should never run faster than a raptor.

While it's not entirely realistic (which is funny to say considering it's a game with dinosaurs), it's necessary to have that kind of speed for simple survival. There will always be threats that have to be dealt with by fighting, but being able to outrun predators is important. Ultimately the player can determine how important speed is and stat accordingly. The way stat balances work right now, a player can increase speed to run, increase health to tank, or go glass cannon with melee to wreck it fast. Again...it's a balance and you have the choice to do what works best for your playstyle and/or the playstyle required to succeed. 

Let's just do away with all builds on everything the kids can't handle it,  

Why have variation?  That's not fun it's better for everyone to just be the same.  

No speed builds no melee builds or weight crafting characters,  just one standard bob that learns set engrams and levels up set stats so we all have the same level 100 character. Same with the Dinos,  why should people be allowed to make a stam rex for meat runs or a weight beaver or an oxygen anky let's just make all dinos the Same as each other. 

Remember how terrible it was when everyone leveld their ptera different?  When some people had stam pteras and others had speed pteras or melee pteras or even a weight ptera.  My God that ruined the game,  it's much better now everyone has the same lame ptera that all have the same speed and you can only level stam on. That really improved the game.

Archived