Jat's Official Word on Legacy

Piddlefingers

After a good bit of silence from the Devs, here I found Jat actually addressing questions about the future of legacy.  As you can see here, it looks as if legacy will continue to die until it is gone.   The legacy Ragnarok servers are the most populated on the PVE side of things, and those average about 20 people.  The first comment by Jat seems to imply that the shut down is eventualike.  The second screen capture seems to be him defending the eventual repurposing the legacy servers to AngelicVixen, a popular and great YouTuber that posts with her husband (I think?) LuckyByNature.

Now let me say that I'm not a jerk sitting here I told you so, I'm a legacy player exclusively and have put many hours into my ark creations.  I just want all other of my fellow legacy players to be well informed and to make a decision as to what to do moving forward.  Me personally?  I'm gonna play Legacy until it's dead and then take a break to play all the other games I've been putting off, and I'll eventually start over on the new servers, I'll just need a mourning period.  

That's all folks, oh, and do check out LuckyByNature on YouTube, one of my favorite channels.  Both lucky and angelic are super informative and keep up with all the updates and all the little information that all of us arkdicts need and want.  :)

Screenshot_20171003-090704.thumb.png.121c4bb90d068d0eac69029080e0b3e8.png

Screenshot_20171003-090731.thumb.png.4e549a6da3421f12d5ba006af1069e14.png

What it appears has happened is that people have moved all their dinos to the legacy ragnarok servers and the servers are soooooo over cap it doesn't make much sense any longer to play on them because none of the griffins can be tamed.  The legacy ragnarok servers were 70/70 for 2 weeks after launch and now they hover around the 20's.  Most other servers are less than 10 people.  But, like me, alot of people just like to log in and do their ark stuff with all their old friends.  Keep in mind, also, that I play PVE and I'm only referring to those particular servers.

45 minutes ago, SuperGenki said:

All this was outlined by Wildcard when they introduced the concept of Legacy servers. If your Legacy community is dwindling, you might want to consider moving to a livelier server...or letting those pixels go.

And then they went about and did everything in the their power to ensure those Legacy communities would dwindle. ...

This all should be no surprise to -anyone-. I think most people realized(despite the smaller numbers suffering cognitive dissonance over it) that this amounts to nothing more than a slow ripping bandaid. But its a bandaid on a brain tumor. 

What should have the remaining folks who erroneously pedestal official servers more concerned is the overall decline in volume of servers in general.  Prior to the 29th of August, Steam PC official servers numbered in the 950ish range.  Last I checked there are only 697 of them, split between legacy and the new servers.  That's a deficit of 250+ servers which according to Susan were repurposed in part for consolers.  Obviously too they are seeming to plan to bank some of that for both the aberration dlc and potentially the 2018 dlc if it involves some map/server requirement too(which I suspect it does/will) but I would say that there is compelling evidence that WC's intent is to slowly(at least from the pc perspective) continue to lessen the priority of official server support and continue to bolster the unofficial/modded content aspects of the game since they are at the moment arguably the lifeblood of the game and hence why the majority play on the 26000+ unofficial servers(and additionally single player) out there(again from the pc standpoint).   It makes business sense too because the less prioritization, the less hardware and support and other labor costs in that direction which can be repurposed to the areas that influence sales and longevity of the IP more.

How is this news? Did people actually not know this?

Legacy servers will exist as long as there are a reasonable amount of players on them...but if folks are expecting Wildcard to continue paying for dead (or mostly dead) servers they're in for a pretty devastating reality check at some point. If someone is on a legacy server and they don't want it to get repurposed, then they need to get a bunch of people to join that server to keep it populated. Short of Miracle Max appearing, that's their only option.

The way wildcard treat the PC community people who supported their product when it first came out and made it what it is today is nothing short of disgusting.

The bait and switch regarding "legacy".

The taking down of official PC servers and using them to host fot CONSOLES instead is one of the single worst transgressions i have ever seen a company on steam commit.

Backhanding your loyal fans like that is appalling.. folks are still clamouring on the forums begging for more space to play on the PC.. some game modes like primitive vanished altogether.

For shame wildcard.

For shame.

Can i just add the to forum fan-trolls who will inevitably bring up unofficial servers: Get a grip.

Playing on a privately hosted server with all the risks associated with it is never going to be a substitute for "the real deal" playing with a fragment of the overall community under the thumb of a random player who is hosting... this is not somehow an answer to wildcards official server debacle

4 minutes ago, LittleRedReaper said:

My tribemate and I abandoned legacy this week. We have a good start on new servers. It's just so sad man. Jat said that legacy would get updates and such but not as "widely available as new servers", what does that even mean??????? Do these people even talk to one another? So much for them saying legacy would have the same as new servers. It was all a HUGE smokescreen. I wish they would have announced a wipe a LONG time ago. I would have taken half my dinos, left my tribe and warred my tribemate lol...It could have at least been fun going down in a blaze of glory. BUT NOOOOOO... we had to be like.. "Ummm so.. yeah, guess we're not gonna feed the dinos anymore..."... "yeah bro... guess so..."

I agree 100%.

Most folks would not have been happy about legacy being totally wiped but the choices WC made really could not have been worse.

Telling your customers there would be no wipe or that only 10% of the lowest pop servers would go then killing 50% of them was a poor (terrible) descision..

Then taking 1/3 of the PC architecture you took away and hosting consoles on those servers instead?? Are you serious??

Really????

Who made that descision?

Seriously... fire that person.

If you go over the numbers of servers taken down on PC and how many were put up after the "launch" for PC and how many are put up for the consoles the numbers are all right there.

Several other people have posts on this forum that crunch the figures and its very clear cut: some (many!) PC servers now host console.

They tried to tell us that they were reserving some servers for expansions but this is a blatent lie.

WC reps responded on twitter to people asking where their legacy servers went and why there was so few new PC "launch" servers and they told them they had to actually buy more servers and they were expensive and the proccess was slow because aquireing new hardware was expensive atm.

Why would you need to buy more? The new expac isnt out and wont be for some time, they cant be used for that yet...

Oh but looking over the console server numbers pre/post launch and there they are.. the "Missing" PC servers... its no sherlock holmes case :(

Honestly can't articulate how unacceptable that is....

I wasn't planning on moving away from legacy, but I have only been on to basically keep my base going since launch. This is partly due to enjoying a restart and the survival part of the game again on new official servers, and also fear of wasting time with effort on a legacy server that could go once its deemed to be too low underutilized.

My main issue is the ratio of legacy to official servers. Last I looked there were something like 20 legacy Island servers for OC, and only 2 official. The official servers are very overpopulated, and I have suffered constant lag and rollbacks. If supported servers are the way of the future, surely there should be more official then legacy servers available?

Some regions like OC were given a single lonely server for some maps/modes to "replace" multiple legacy servers. This natually led to situations where people couldnt even log onto the map they wanted to play on for a large portion of the day as they were slotcapped...

I dont play primitive and dont have an opinion on that gamemode whatsoever but there were a LOT of salty people who DID play that mode griefing everyone on regular OC pvp in the hope they could draw WCs attention to their suddenly-discontinued mode

Some large regions waited for aggggees for basic representation of each map with each gamemode, i dont know how many times poor joanna got silenced here while campaigning to get a single solitary EU PVE Center map...

It really was the worst choice out of every possible way they could have handled the transition to "launch"

Which brings us to WHY was the game launched at all? 5minutes ingame will clearly prove to any impartial observer the game is still riddled with bugs and basic problems with AI, Pathing, Clipping. Hitbox detection, Placing structures etc etc etc etc ETC

Their descision making proccess is just a shambles..

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, onetwothree said:

The way wildcard treat the PC community people who supported their product when it first came out and made it what it is today is nothing short of disgusting.

The bait and switch regarding "legacy".

The taking down of official PC servers and using them to host fot CONSOLES instead is one of the single worst transgressions i have ever seen a company on steam commit.

Backhanding your loyal fans like that is appalling.. folks are still clamouring on the forums begging for more space to play on the PC.. some game modes like primitive vanished altogether.

For shame wildcard.

For shame.

Can i just add the to forum fan-trolls who will inevitably bring up unofficial servers: Get a grip.

Playing on a privately hosted server with all the risks associated with it is never going to be a substitute for "the real deal" playing with a fragment of the overall community under the thumb of a random player who is hosting... this is not somehow an answer to wildcards official server debacle

Servers still cost money to operate, and keeping inactive servers (and by that I mean including servers that people just log in to in order to refresh timers on their dinos instead of actually playing around on the server) up and running just to keep a handful of people happy is just financially irresponsible.

It was obvious to me that the wipe was still going to happen as soon as legacy servers were announced. They were just going to take their time with it. It's also obvious that player counts mean nothing to them since populated servers with 30+ players daily were wiped. Go into those threads and check the complaints against battlemetrics like I did if there's doubt.

I continue to play on legacy because there was no point in moving, especially for a lazy PvE player such as myself, so I just chill with other players who stuck around. Moving to a newer server would have made as much sense as wiping all my characters in Borderlands 2 after a minor patch. Sure our server's days are numbered but nothing lasts forever and it's not like I'd WANT to play this game forever. I'll just keep playing it until it bores me or they put our server on the chopping block. It's not like they'll be coming out with anything monumental. Aberration looks like more of the same but with a new darker coat of paint.

And like I said, nothing lasts forever. They came for our neighboring servers and I made sure to speak up, they'll come for our server and I'll be sure to speak up, and eventually they'll come for your new official servers and I will be silent...because I'll be playing something else. Dun dun DUN! :D

3 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Servers still cost money to operate, and keeping inactive servers (and by that I mean including servers that people just log in to in order to refresh timers on their dinos instead of actually playing around on the server) up and running just to keep a handful of people happy is just financially irresponsible.

The legacy server i played on was well populated. It was wiped.

Ark is a business, nobody is pretending otherwise its just not a very good payment model... pushing out expansions and "launching" before your product works as-intended is going to cause problems with your customers when things going wrong.

This is made even worse when customer service is virtually non existent or so bad its almost insulting (replacing L100 characters that vanish during transfer with L75 characters and not porting the imprints across for instance)

I havent bought the expansions... the basic game doesnt work properly yet and while i would throw money at WC to fix the base game what i wont do is encourge them to stack more code on top of the systems already in place that really just dont work a good portion of the time.

I dont care about cosmetics and wouldnt play if the game was P2W so the microtransaction model is out the window... noone wants to talk about monthly subscription fees anymore, that would be my prefered payment route... 

Where does this leave us?

With more junk being added (and being asked to pay for the priv) when the poop we already have still needs finishing :(

Garbage server quality + numbers

No actual customer support. (I could level a naked brand new toon to 75 in the time it took me to contact WC,get a reponse and get the "help")

I was going to make a thread asking other people what they think the way forward is because im stumped and its just sad to see ark gurgling down the crapper like this :(

3 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Your problem is WC are the ones that have made those legacy servers population lower (because we aren't idiots) - this whole thread has comments from people who realised the plan and left legacy while they could. There are plenty of threads about people who couldn't evac in time from what should never have been classed as low population and yet was and got repurposed.

For those who remain, it doesn't matter how many people login your server will be gone in the near future not calling it a wipe doesnt change what it actually is...

Ok guys just wondering as I'm not really too clued up as to  whenever there will be more legacy server deletions post 29th August? I'm getting a little worried a new kill list might appear soon as  many tribes vacate island maps for Ragnarok ( which is over pillared and reached it's tame level on Rag5, obs all blocked too) also where is everyone going?? and why? if there are to be no more legacy deletions why go to an over populated, over pillared server and leave all the hard work behind?

Archived