Questions to the devs

natman

@StudioWildcard@Jatheish@Jen, @whoever is there :)

I have some fundamental questions to u, and, following the discussions here, it seems like many other people are in the same boat. It would clear many things up to have answers to the following questions:

1. How do u think about the transfer system? I think it is cool that it connects servers and puts trading on a new level, but its obviously broken and source of many of arks biggest problems. u tried to counter duping with that painful upload timers but it seems like that didnt work out too well and many people wonder why u keep that system if u cant fix it.
  2. Do you like how the game encourages the formation and domination of huge megatribes/-alliances and do you realise that this drives many players away from the official base game?
  3. hows it goin?

I know my hopes are high, but maybe its my lucky day and i can get some answers :D

Hey i'm not a dev but i can answer them, here it is :

#1 I guess the data model they used don't allow them to put IDs everywhere to prevent duping and now they're stuck with that cuz they can't redesign the data model without breaking the whole game and also cuz they don't have the time/money... Or just lack of skill from the data architect. Imagine WoW is more than 10 years old but they don't have any dupe problems somehow.

#2 Why would you want the player base to stay on official servers which are free while you can push them to play on private servers from which you get money from renting them ?

#3 New dlc incoming. Feeling so g$$$$$$$$$$$$$d how about you ? Enjoying the lag i bet ;)

10 minutes ago, Morf said:

#1 I guess the data model they used don't allow them to put IDs everywhere to prevent duping and now they're stuck with that cuz they can't redesign the data model without breaking the whole game and also cuz they don't have the time/money... Or just lack of skill from the data architect. Imagine WoW is more than 10 years old but they don't have any dupe problems somehow.

can be done with less hassle for players, but it will still require players to wait until server save for uploads to complete: https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/239496-dupe-fix-suggestion/

13 minutes ago, Morf said:

#2 Why would you want the player base to stay on official servers which are free while you can push them to play on private servers from which you get money from renting them ?

I feel like the question and intent was to limit number of players per tribe and number of tribes per alliance. For example 10 players per tribe and up to 3 tribes per alliance (yours + 2 others) would have made things a bit more hectic/interesting imo.

Right now this (from wiki) "Tribes may join or be admins of up to 5 Alliances at a single time and a single Alliance can consist of up to 12 tribes at a time." is ridiculous. With 70-100 player limit per server these alliance limitations make no sense.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, Morf said:

WC pays for Official servers similar to how any other person pays for their rented server.  they do not make money from server rentals

18 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

WC pays for Official servers similar to how any other person pays for their rented server.  they do not make money from server rentals

In most businesses there is a rebate to someone. It may go to Jat directly in the form of a rebate, may be a rebate to the company, or may be in the form of a discount... but the fact that they are only using 1 provider almost certainly means there is kick back going to someone who makes such decisions.

• Volunteer Moderator
31 minutes ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

they are only using 1 provider

they are not using only one provider and your kickback theory is speculation. makes sense, and there may be rebates/discounts or something, but even if true that in no way means they make money from renting servers. it means they dont pay as much.

3 hours ago, ThzNutz said:

they are not using only one provider and your kickback theory is speculation. makes sense, and there may be rebates/discounts or something, but even if true that in no way means they make money from renting servers. it means they dont pay as much.

I do not have any inside information other than my years of corporate experience. I do know that if you give the CEO a gift based on getting something in return they are more likely to make it happen.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

When questions get asked in this manner, it doesn't matter what answer is given, the OP already has preconceived issues.

"Why do you stick with it"... It's development...

"Megatribes" That's just how online gaming works... Eat or be eaten.

Archived