Ark was given a 7 almost across the board by official review outlets...

CyanicEmber

Yeah, unfortunately it seems like a lot of the reviews only take into account the base game with unaltered settings and don't really lend consideration that a huge portion of the community plays on customized servers (either multiplayer or singleplayer) that alleviate the bulk of problems associated with the game.

i think official servers have earned this rating. people shouldn't have to rent servers to play in the optimal way, official servers should be set up to be appealing to the majority of players; however, the majority of players only play official because of the server longetivity. i would probably switch to a server with slightly increased rates if i thought it would be around for another year, but chances are slim for dedicated to stay online for a long time. 

so for that reason, i would rather stay in a server with horrible rates and a toxic community compared to being in one that there is no guarantee that the host won't wipe or stop hosting.

Honestly, I like the slow, harder pace on the officials. Yes, it requires a much higher time investment, but it also makes those dinos and items feel much more rewarding when you do get them.

There are other issues that do need some help I agree. However, this game is still a great game despite the things that need fixing. I wouldn't say it is a 10/10, but it is easily an 8+ and on top of all of that the game is continually getting better. We all know the Hurricane in Florida hurt their workflow, but once they get things up and running as usual I expect some big strides to be made in the next few months.

17 minutes ago, l3ully said:

The official Xbox Magazine rated it a 6 out of 10, for me I rarely buy a game if it is rated 7 or under.

i think 6 is generous and closer to what the game deserves considering Xbox gets everything last by a long shot including fixes, rented servers and content. so we have to deal with new bugs longer. 

13 minutes ago, l3ully said:

The official Xbox Magazine rated it a 6 out of 10, for me I rarely buy a game if it is rated 7 or under.

So.... don't buy it?

But I also find that reviews aren't necessarily reflective of the actual game. For instance, CoD games routinely get pretty solid marks from most outlets, but I personally don't find them enjoyable. I had a huge amount of fun playing Assassin's Creed Unity, which got a similar score. Destiny 1 on release was not a very good game, but it got 8/10 average. See my point? Bad games get good reviews, good games get good reviews. The converse is also true. It's the same thing with a lot of films; critical evaluation doesn't necessarily reflect the subjective appeal of the game. Personally, ARK has provided more bang for its buck than any other game, ever. That doesn't mean it's perfect, and unfortunately, critical reviews tend to only look at the degree of "perfection" in a game, which is why I find that they aren't really worth the listening.

4 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

And it's a real shame, because it could have been eight or higher if the default settings weren't so grindy. That seems to be the one universal hang-up for pretty much everyone who gives ARK a review...

IF the people doing the review said 'too grindy' was the primary complaint then immediately stop reading anything those idiots post because they have no idea what they are talking about. There is plenty to complain about. Grindfest is really not one.

3 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

Yeah, unfortunately it seems like a lot of the reviews only take into account the base game with unaltered settings and don't really lend consideration that a huge portion of the community plays on customized servers (either multiplayer or singleplayer) that alleviate the bulk of problems associated with the game.

PC Gamer review took that in consideration, that's why the game got 72/100. Without customisation the score would have been around 60+ I assume. PC gamer review is quite fair one.

This is a game with amazingpotential but it's riddled with bugs, too much content that arguably just does the same thing, Devs that sometimes don't even seem to know what direction this game is going in, an abysmal track record for fixing the bugs and for hitting content release deadlines, occasional unprofessional snarkiness on twitter and reddit, and contebt 'balances' really just meaning something is about to be less efficient and less fun to use. Getting a 7 is still a little generous. The potential is great but the actual execution/polish is ameture at best.

6 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

And it's a real shame, because it could have been eight or higher if the default settings weren't so grindy. That seems to be the one universal hang-up for pretty much everyone who gives ARK a review...

Are you really surprised ? 

The game and the concept have the potential to be a solid 9, 9.5.

People complain about the grindfest without thinking about what officials would be like if the rates were increased. I mean, think about how toxic things are on official right now...and then think about how much "better" it would be if people got 4 times the stuff they are currently getting.

People who have spent time on unmoderated unofficial servers know what it is like to have high rates without moderation...there's crap everywhere, everyone has as many tames as possible, and everyone is building monstrosities all over the place. Everyone has a base with 250 turrets on it, and every base is surrounded by 15-20+ metal behemoth gates because it takes no time at all to farm up the mats, even for a 2 man tribe. You know what happens when that many people have that much stuff? The server runs like garbage.

That's a large part of the reason high-pop official servers have so much lag. If people won't self-moderate, Wildcard has to walk a fine line to attempt balance on official servers. If more players/tribes could exercise some restraint, then maybe higher rates on official might be possible. Unfortunately people don't do that. 

But yeah, for anyone curious to see what happens when rates go over 4x, pay a visit to a few unofficial PvP servers with 5x+ rates. If you want to see real lag, go to a PvP server with 10-15x gather and walk up to a base where people have 40x40 foundation bases that are fully honeycombed with thousands and thousands and thousands of metal walls. That's where you learn why official rates are low.

The game could have been a 9, or possibly even a 10, but thanks to the people of Wildcard's phenomenal work it's more like a 5. 6 if one's being extremely generous. A number of their new servers can't even stay online. Others experience quite a bit of lag. And then there are all the bugs, exploits, pillar spamming, and whatnot. I keep hoping some other studio gets put in charge of the game so it can be cleaned up but that's not going to happen. I'd say Snail Games gave them way too much control but the fantasy version called Dark and Light seems to be suffering as well and Snail's behind that one.

Looks like we'll be staying with these great people over at Wildcard. Keep up the fantastic work!

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

People complain about the grindfest without thinking about what officials would be like if the rates were increased. I mean, think about how toxic things are on official right now...and then think about how much "better" it would be if people got 4 times the stuff they are currently getting.

You could allow for shorter tame times by upping the taming materials and maintenance cost of tames; and keep building under control by decreasing resource node respawns and/or yields, and/or adding maintenance costs for structures.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:28 PM, johnm81 said:

IF the people doing the review said 'too grindy' was the primary complaint then immediately stop reading anything those idiots post because they have no idea what they are talking about. There is plenty to complain about. Grindfest is really not one.

How many hours do it take to get hundreds of turrent and fuel up ? How long does it take for one douchebag to come rolling in on a stegosaurus  to drain them all ? When you're offline? 

You spend hours and hours and hours and days and days and weeks to build a base just to have it torn down in one or two hours while you're offline raid. That is why this game is getting the complaints it's getting yes it's too grindy just to have it all taken away in a matter of hours

Archived