The Great TEK Wall, A Big TEK Problem.

Iimmy

If you play PVE then what else is there to work toward aside from the bosses?
Why spend all the time breeding grinding and leveling just to say no to the end game stuff.
In my eyes that's exactly what PVE is for because It'll never accomplish it in PvP.
Another example of a useless item in the game is a magnifying glass. It's quite possibly the most useless thing ark has to offer. Yet nobody complains about it.

What I like the most about this game is that it's an open world for me to do whatever I please. I've never tamed a giga because i just don't want to spend the time. That doesn't mean I think the devs should get rid of it though .

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Teddansen said:

If you play PVE then what else is there to work toward aside from the bosses?
Why spend all the time breeding grinding and leveling just to say no to the end game stuff.
In my eyes that's exactly what PVE is for because It'll never accomplish it in PvP.
Another example of a useless item in the game is a magnifying glass. It's quite possibly the most useless thing ark has to offer. Yet nobody complains about it.

What I like the most about this game is that it's an open world for me to do whatever I please. I've never tamed a giga because i just don't want to spend the time. That doesn't mean I think the devs should get rid of it though .

Heres a very simple answer for that

"Everyone can obtain the magnifying glass, useless or not"

37 minutes ago, Iimmy said:

And the same can be said about Element, just takes more effort to do so.

More than one way to get there too, as discussed by many in this post.

Also, you can do it SOLO, in a single player map. Settings are much easier there. Guess you could say they are set for the SOLO player.

Guess that is why it is called single player mode?

48 minutes ago, Iimmy said:

Magnifying glass is one of the best items in the game.

What you have not thought about in your posts is actually a fairly simple solution. Even tho you are a solo player or are a small tribe it does not stop you from hiring other solo or small tribe players to team up and take down the harder bosses in a group. 

5 minutes ago, SlipperySquid said:

Magnifying glass is one of the best items in the game.

What you have not thought about in your posts is actually a fairly simple solution. Even tho you are a solo player or are a small tribe it does not stop you from hiring other solo or small tribe players to team up and take down the harder bosses in a group. 

Totally agree, and I have looked into getting a team together, I think the whole point is you shouldnt have to really, Have the bosses scale (my second suggestion) keep the difficulty in line with how many people entered the arena. 

On 03/10/2017 at 4:10 PM, Iimmy said:

There's a big difference between "end game" and "unobtainable" 

21 minutes ago, Iimmy said:

And to those who don't play SP? You know.... since its focused on MP.  Sure I can play SP, but dino levels to 600 with instant taming and go kill a boss, that's not the issue here. It's MP. 

It is possible to do the bosses solo with the changes they made (did not achieve dragon hard yet though). But however with very few "friends" on the server it is really easy and fun to do, you can find your way to the end game content. It is not "unobtainable".  When I hear people saying stuff like that or "The cunning cave on island is impossible to do without 2 high level mosa mate boost or a high level squid" It makes me giggle inside. 

My tip would be if your concern is that you want to achieve things solo, find your way to do it. It is possible to do pretty much everything alone. Of course in my opinion i like to play with others because you can compare yourself and, having fun with your friend is motivating.

Just now, Iimmy said:

Totally agree, and I have looked into getting a team together, I think the whole point is you shouldnt have to really, Have the bosses scale (my second suggestion) keep the difficulty in line with how many people entered the arena. 

Interaction with other players is what makes multiplayer fun. In PvE it is even better because they bring their own dinos along so you risk only what your bringing meaning you lose less then you would if you lost a boss in a mega tribe.

I think your going to have to accept the fact that you may not be able to beat all the Alpha bosses solo however gamma and maybe even beta bosses you have a really decent chance at succeeding. With everything you have said i know a large portion of people have stopped doing alpha bosses simply because they are to hard at the moment.

Sigh... People still do not get it. On Official Servers (Non-CrossArk/Isolated), you need massive amounts of people to ultimately be successful. 100 people can do more than 1 person. That is a fact. 

Tek is not useless in PvP. A tek base is a lot stronger than metal or stone. If everyone had tek, then rates would have to be boosted 2-3x to compensate. 

All of the whining in this thread is equivillent to whining that you do not have top tier gear in an MMO when you play an hour a day solo. This game in an MMO. You can play Solo, but you will only be able to do so much (realistically).

MMO- Massive Multiplayer Online game. 

The game may not require you to play with other people, but it is heavily encouraged and obviously intended.

Tek is fine. Stop complaining. It takes a lot of work to get Tek. Tribes spend hours upon hours farming Saddle BP resources, taming rexs, making kibble and breeding! Put in the time and effort to form a tribe and get tek or play on an UnOfficial/CrossArk!  It is only meant to be used by a small amount of players because Tek is the strongest building material in the game! 

What is the point in working hard and progressing in a game if people who play a fraction of the time you do get end game items and gear?

On 8/28/2017 at 11:54 AM, RubeDragon said:

We just did a forced solo (WC didnt bring my tribe mate to the arena) Center boss fight on Alpha. 18 rexes and a yut with all 90+ saddles 40-45k hp and 800-900 melee and lost two rexes..  (the pig didnt come either) so with  one pig and a yut anyone would be good .  our rexes were the 14.9k hp and 525 melee b4 lvls.  yut and pig dont matter much .

On 10/1/2017 at 10:04 PM, Ulta said:

I agree that Tek is for the most part useless when it comes to the core of ARK. PVE it's a fun little thing ot try out, though Tek armor is gimmicky at best, it's not even great armor wise. And everything else is just 'grind-alleviating' or it's just...gimmicky and requires too much effort to upkeep for most on officials.

However, sorry to say but Dragon CAN be defeated, even on Alpha. Many people including myself have done it, with the right team and set up.

I second this. The only thing I would add is I have friends on a legacy center server that breed all week long. That is all they do. I like breeding myself. The thing that they like to use and have to maintain for the massive amounts of breeding they do is the tek trough. I'm sure it took months before they got there, but they are there now and have been able to maintain tek troughs through the expense of element used on generators. They setup they're generators where you are only spending about 1 element per 12.5 hours on the lowest radius. Up to 8 tek troughs. They have been using it for raising water dinos. (another friend used it on weekends to raise 2 gigas and 26 rexes.) all on official pve servers.

So to break it down you are using 13.44 element per week. so just to be safe it takes 14 element per week to maintain a tek generator on the lowest setting. That's at least killing 1 or 2 beta bosses per week. When you are not breeding however you turn off the generator. Or you use element elsewhere. I can imagine the frustration maintaining that. And it can become more of a chore than a luxury. Much like the rest of the game that has auto-decay timers and starvation that you HAVE to log in to maintain gameplay at a certain level you are at in the game.  Which is why i like the no taming pvp servers. And better yet single player or unofficial that does not have anything decay or starvation applied. 

The end game of Ark mirrors much of the other major MMO's where players maintain a steady grind every weekend with friends to defeat some of the more challenging content in the game. The only difference is you can leave those games for years and you're stuff will still exist if you decide to pick up the game again.

TLDR; In short i see the hassle of continuing the gameplay on Ark at the level you are at, tek (end game) or not, but I guess it comes down to what effort you are willing to put into something to play with. I agree, its not for everyone and I think the work put into it for little or lack of fulfillment it brings is not for everyone.

I guess you can always mod you're game so much that getting such things in the game is not as tedious, raising dions is significantly shorter, and/or making the cost of maintaining you're tek content cost next to nothing. Where you could literally play around will all that tek armor for weeks before it uses up 1 element. There are options that don't require official servers or WC to suck it up and change the game completely around. Or you waiting for them to happen. 

On 2/10/2017 at 10:15 AM, Iimmy said:

Why? because I now play SOLO PVE and I've never been able to do a boss, not technically true, I play on Official with a very casual friend.

well. at our server official The island map. my tribe or other tribe Help other people(solo,new,noob,china).  free for join boss like brood and Ape(because free no need ammo)

many of us is solo.. im personally only 2 with my brother..
we make TEam with other player for dragpm (use ally)

On 3/10/2017 at 3:07 AM, Iimmy said:

about being SOLO and not having time to breed armies of rexes people have still brought up the fact they have "done" it with 3-5 people

about this Im Duo person,, we can breed 20 - 40 rexes at X2 Event weekend..
at My server got Some people solo can breed 5 a week... (we use cooked meat for long spoil time)

On 3/10/2017 at 3:07 AM, Iimmy said:

boss was done with 2 people not on official, with mega saddles that would be hard to obtain normally

Brood and Ape can do SOlo.. only dragon cant (need 10 people and ammo)
saddle is cheap, only 1k ingot each. Farm metal at x2 is Worth. 6k ingot only at top montain FT.

sry about my english xD 

Plenty of tribes use tek stuff, idk where you get the "not a soul uses tek" notion. One medium brood run (easy to do solo) will power a tek gen for nearly a month. Manticore on alpha drops 190 element and is easy to run solo with a squad of subpar rexs. 

If you are unable to obtain and use tek on pve, you aren't doing something right >.<

Both the last two replys;

So one of you spends a weekend breeding 40 rexes. I'm glad you can write off a weekend like that. No judgement here but not particularly viable when you have a wife, job, kids, a house to run. 

You do brood medium solo? with what? let me guess 20 bred rexes or similar? same answer as above. If not then show me, I'm genuinely curious.

May "not a soul" uses it is extreme but I would say less than 15% of the playerbase actively uses TEK. 

8 hours ago, Iimmy said:

May "not a soul" uses it is extreme but I would say less than 15% of the playerbase actively uses TEK. 

Thats intended. Tek is not meant for everyone but only for the most dedicated players. If your life does not allow you to give to much time for the game ARK is simply not the right game for you. It is a time consuming game and you can only be successfull at it, if you dedicate tons of time to it.

Or you could go to a unofficial server that runs fast breeding settings, like 20x and raise rexes in 5h. Btw. rexes are not the best option, it's just the meta because everyone uses them. You also got Megatheriums, Megalosaurus and Therizinos. They are viable for boss fights, well Megatherium only for broodmother.

I did bosses solo, other people in this thread did bosses solo. It's absolutly viable. If you don't have the time, you should move to another game. I don't mean that in a disrespectfull manner but you have to realize after the many hours you play there is nothing quick to gain in ARK that is worth having.

even tek trough is of little since since it uses tek generator's power to work

the main problem with tek is element a pretty non renewable resource. we knew it'll come with a generator, and we thought the generator is going to run by solar power but nuuuu the dev had to go there.

after tek rolls out I remember there was a post describing how the dev regretted tek, like how they regretted titan. the backlash is huge

the only good stuff I can find using tek is the cool looking doors. other than that I don't see a point in getting tek at all

oh you mean replicator can craft those high cost saddles? there's MC copies of the same thing with much lesser mats required. also we got a smithy dino that could do that

11 hours ago, Thorium said:

Thats intended. Tek is not meant for everyone but only for the most dedicated players. If your life does not allow you to give to much time for the game ARK is simply not the right game for you. It is a time consuming game and you can only be successfull at it, if you dedicate tons of time to it.

Or you could go to a unofficial server that runs fast breeding settings, like 20x and raise rexes in 5h. Btw. rexes are not the best option, it's just the meta because everyone uses them. You also got Megatheriums, Megalosaurus and Therizinos. They are viable for boss fights, well Megatherium only for broodmother.

I did bosses solo, other people in this thread did bosses solo. It's absolutly viable. If you don't have the time, you should move to another game. I don't mean that in a disrespectfull manner but you have to realize after the many hours you play there is nothing quick to gain in ARK that is worth having.

Nice way to encourage people away from the game, further reducing the player base and increasing the likelihood that they game will die on its donkey.

I don't think that the bosses should be easy, I'm in a 2 man tribe and we grouped with others to do them on legacy because we'd been there a long time and it was a challenge.Hell we even tried doing the dragon with only turtles ( it wasn't pretty)  But that didn't make Tek as useful or desirable as it should be. 

The only thing we ever used was the Tek doors because they actually worked and made your life easier, but all the rest of the Tek stuff was pretty pointless and needs tweaking so that the end game phase isn't a let down and you actually get something worthwhile for the effort you have to put into it.

1 hour ago, Hemplethwaite said:

Nice way to encourage people away from the game, further reducing the player base and increasing the likelihood that they game will die on its donkey.

ARK doesn't have a problem of not enough players.

I believe my advice is the best for him personally. I don't give advice with the intention to keep someone playing that obviously does not enjoy the way the game is. Whats the point in that?

I hate it when people try to convince others just to push their own agenda. Give honest advice, even if it may not be in your personal interests.

• Volunteer Moderator
14 hours ago, HiImZech said:

the main problem with tek is element a pretty non renewable resource. we knew it'll come with a generator, and we thought the generator is going to run by solar power but nuuuu the dev had to go there.

That sounds more like you setting up wrong expectations for yourself then being disappointed when reality came in. I mean, nowhere anywhere did any developer tease about solar power for the tek generator, so it made zero sense to build yourself up expecting it to be such.

Behold and rejoice oh ye masses...

Survivor RaifuForLaifu asks, "What are "Element Chambers"?"

They are zones of intense radiation where it is possible to collect Element Ore, as well as encounter certain hideous, aggressive creatures.

Survivor alcarazr asks, "Will we be able to directly harvest Element in Aberration, either as a resource (with a new tool, such as a special pick) or by killing certain creatures?"

Yes.

On 10/2/2017 at 4:07 PM, Iimmy said:

So what I've taken from this so far from the replies

* The people who have access to TEK barely use any of it.

* Despite the fact I talk about being SOLO and not having time to breed armies of rexes people have still brought up the fact they have "done" it with 3-5 people

* A boss was done with 2 people not on official, with mega saddles that would be hard to obtain normally. o.O

* TEK is too much effort to maintain, to much effort to obtain.

* breeding mentioned over and over, this was not the point and stands against the original point of solo and unable to spend hours and days breeding.

Still seems a majority think its mostly useless and not worth the effort and impossible for a huge % of the playerbase to even obtain. 

#1. On PvP Official Tek is extensively used by those who can obtain it. For example Tek Replicators for crafting mass items or high-stat items, Tek gates/doors for ease of access, Tek tappy/Rex saddles for server defense and occasionally offense, Tek shield domes for offensive/defensive FOBs, Tek transmitters for convenience uploading/downloading, Tek generators for reduced hassle, Tek turrets for defense, tek troughs for easy raising, teleporters for awesome transportation, etc etc.

#2. Tek isn't meant for casual solo players, simple as that. All the bosses can be done on all difficulties solo on official, some being harder/riskier than others, but the bosses on official are meant to be challenging even for tribes of 10+. Ark is a tribe-focused game and should not be directly tailored for solo players simply because of a natural 'power of numbers' difference.

#3. Look up Seerower on YouTube. He soloed all of the bosses on official settings with good but not crazy saddles, though he had an extensive army of Rexes built. But nowadays you can literally just trade for the top of the market Rex stats, and if you can't be bothered to so much as raise some Rexes on 2x weekends do you really think you should achieve the tier meant for Alpha tribes?

#4. Expensive to make sure, but fairly trivial to maintain. 3 artifacts and 10-20 decent TAMED Rexes (125+ wild) with decent saddles and you can repeatedly solo the easy brood or Megapithicus for 10 or 20 element respectively each run.

Tek is pretty useless in PvE, but a game changer in PvP. Build your base out of Tek, and you have a base highly resistant to Explosives, and it basically requires your opponents to have Tek as well to take down. Tek Shield Generator and Tek Saddles make a pretty big difference too. Put a Tek Sword in the hands of someone with 200% MD, and they can cleave anyone in half with 1 hit (no matter how much Armor they have). The Tek Sword can even tear through Metal Structures and Auto Turrets.

Archived