The Great TEK Wall, A Big TEK Problem.

Iimmy

8 minutes ago, Iimmy said:

So what I've taken from this so far from the replies

* The people who have access to TEK barely use any of it.

* Despite the fact I talk about being SOLO and not having time to breed armies of rexes people have still brought up the fact they have "done" it with 3-5 people

* A boss was done with 2 people not on official, with mega saddles that would be hard to obtain normally. o.O

* TEK is too much effort to maintain, to much effort to obtain.

* breeding mentioned over and over, this was not the point and stands against the original point of solo and unable to spend hours and days breeding.

Still seems a majority think its mostly useless and not worth the effort and impossible for a huge % of the playerbase to even obtain. 

My post does not mention any of these things.

We have gotten dozens of other server players most if not all engrams for them, with no need for rexes, weapons, ammo or breeding needed. Just their butt in a dino saddle along for the free ride.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On official legacy PVE I regularly did Manticore solo or to help someone unlock an engram. I liked tek rex saddle, though I admit neither that or my tek tape saddle got much use... and I absolutely loved the tek trough and tek transmitters. I really only ran the generator to power these when I was breeding.

19 minutes ago, Iimmy said:

But again I never mentioned that you had said any of this, nor does one person saying they use it on their server make any kind of valid retort for the whole original post I made.

The brass tacks of the matter is that a huge % can't even obtain it and those who do a big % don't use it/find it useless. 

Are you trying to have a conversation, or are you trying to tell people how they should think? Because you kind of started off like you were interested in the input of others, but thus far you've seemed to dismiss or ignore any input that conflicts with your original premise.

I use Tek in Singleplayer, and occasionally on a Badmin server I play on with some buddies. I've never viewed it as a necessity...not even something important. I've looked at it like a reward for killing the bosses that makes the post-end-game a bit more fun. Whether anyone else likes or dislikes it is entirely up to them.

7 hours ago, Palenor said:

Here is how this whole TEK thing worked on our server.

Granted only a few of us on the server regularly run the boss fights. 

Basically, three tribes have allied up to run the Boss fights, (by the way, we have a grand total of 2 persons in each of these three tribes).

We run the easy bosses to keep the element flowing for us. When we need extra butts in saddles for the mediums/hards. We advertise on the server for others to join for the engrams.

We provide the Dinos/Armor/Weapon/Bullets etc.

Others gain the use of TEK and now have the engrams, but little or no element to make/run things.

Meanwhile, we have lots and lots of TEK gear and items and element more than we can use.

We trade the other folks on server/off server for other items we need. This can be other DInos/Blueprint upgrades or even just raw resources, ingots, poly, crystal, black pearls and even boss tribute items if needed. On the server, we even trade for element straight up for these items.

This gives us time to concentrate on getting more element and not on basic resources needed. Everyone wins.

This way everyone can get and use TEK gear and obtain items.

This about sums up the answer. Not much more to say.

1 hour ago, Iimmy said:

* Despite the fact I talk about being SOLO and not having time to breed armies of rexes people have still brought up the fact they have "done" it with 3-5 people

* A boss was done with 2 people not on official, with mega saddles that would be hard to obtain normally. o.O

* breeding mentioned over and over, this was not the point and stands against the original point of solo and unable to spend hours and days breeding.

Still seems a majority think its mostly useless and not worth the effort and impossible for a huge % of the playerbase to even obtain. 

To simply put it, this game isn't ment for solo other than on singleplayer.

38 minutes ago, Goaty said:

To simply put it, this game isn't ment for solo other than on singleplayer.

People just don't seem to get that concept. I see the same crazy mentality in plenty of other multiplayer online games. 

If the game requires more than one person to play, don't complain if you want to play it alone and can't finish it. Especially don't complain that you can't finish it alone when the developer made a game mode specifically so you can finish it alone.

Teks good for PvP,  on Legacy every pvp server was filled with tek structures and near everyone could use a transmitter. The new servers will be  the same in a few weeks.

Yes it Is pointless on pve but so are most weapons and armour,  like why not make a thread about turrets being useless it's the same thing. In pve you only need hide armour and  a wooden Base everything else is pointless past that point. Tame any rideable 150 Dino and put a circle of wooden spikes around your thatch Hut and you have survived.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:33 PM, PaleoJoe said:

Do you make use of all 100+ dinosaurs, or only a few?

Just because they add something it does not mean everyone will use it. For example, I never used the cage outside of a joke on someone. Useless item there.

Cage is useful to hold dung beetles or snails. Seeing as they used to (might still) glitch through structures. With a cage they stay right there.

Tek is used heavily on regular Official servers. Railing, turrets, walls, foundations, ceilings, doors, gates, saddles, troughs, generators, replicators, transmitters, force-field, vacuum compartment, rifle, sword ,shield and armor. All of those are used by almost every big tribe on Official. Tek is not hard to get. Allowing element to be transferred would be terrible and ruin PvP

Tek is not meant to be extremely easy to get. The majority of people build in stone and will most likely never see it in their playtime. That is the way it was intended to be. It is for the endgame. 

1 hour ago, Bobo1234 said:

Tek is used heavily on regular Official servers. Railing, turrets, walls, foundations, ceilings, doors, gates, saddles, troughs, generators, replicators, transmitters, force-field, vacuum compartment, rifle, sword ,shield and armor. All of those are used by almost every big tribe on Official. Tek is not hard to get. Allowing element to be transferred would be terrible and ruin PvP

Tek is not meant to be extremely easy to get. The majority of people build in stone and will most likely never see it in their playtime. That is the way it was intended to be. It is for the endgame. 

There's a big difference between "end game" and "unobtainable" 

We use nearly all of the Tek items - including teleporters. Yeah it requiers work to get the amount of Element you need to start but is is very doable.      We are not a big tribe and we are no nolifers, just the fact that you can use 2x weekends to breed Rexes and Level them from standing around is super easy   
It all depends on how lazy you are. On our Island Server a lot of tribes use Tek, on different Levels of course but still.

And sorry but this game is made for multiplayer which leads to the point that endgame content aka Tek requiers multiple players. But it is still doable solo. Hard Ape (110 Element) is pretty much a joke. We do him solo, 2mins fight and without any loses.

Solution:

-Use the 2x Weekends to get your Rexes, then park them and wait. They will get enough exp quite fast

-tame your nice bosshelper - The yuty

-artifacts and tributes for the Ape are super easy to get. It requiers no skill, no jump and run. Just get in the caves and grap them

-The rexes saddles are hard to get. Primitiv works but everything higher makes it easier

>>still doable solo, but now it gets Hard

-The other bosses, Ape is pretty easy solo. Broodmother still works but does not make fun solo. And for dragon, good luck dont try it. For those bosses you need multiple players or skill.

On 10/2/2017 at 4:07 PM, Iimmy said:

TEK is useful depending on your needs (the cloning chamber and the teleporter, for example)

But it's not unobtainable, if you put enough effort in it (effort, not time) you will make it alone.

Getting the saddles is not that hard either, just be sure to check deep sea loot crates often and hope for the best.

Even then, Solo play is not meant for Official servers, it's meant for SP, why is this? because the crafting costs of things are insanely high for one person.

If you're playing this game online you're meant to play with friends, i'm not saying you need to play with 10 people but clearing the game solo on PvE Official would be very tedious.

If you really want to, you can do this alone, and you don't have to spend 10 hours a day playing the game either. Just play smart and you'll make it.

After all, it's meant to be hard.

Im With you on this man i think the game would be far more enjoyable With out the hours wasted on taming high lvl dinos, breeding them like is not tomorrow, and wait and wait and grind lvls and resources and that when finally the time comes your friends cant join or you glitch the f out in the dragon arena and your Hard earned dino dies or vanish. And you have to start again. Dont take me wrong i love the game what i dont really like its All the time required doing nothing but wait. Hours and hours sitting by your downed high lvl trex untill another 2 more rexes appear or a pack of allo that you can kill but threaten to bite your New Rex

Sorry about my bad english (that is another reasson why is Hard to get a lot of friends to do end content... That and my job)

On 2.10.2017 at 10:07 PM, Iimmy said:

I am running my own cluster of 4 servers, and my difficulty settings have been, apart from server difficulty is 7, which spawns dinos up to level 210, vanilla ever since. The harvest/xp ratio however is 5x to support small tribes/solo players. As I always found element drop to be rather low, and on the servers mostly small/solo players play, I decided to increase element drop by 9x. Other than that, I was running the same settings as official.

Over quite a long time (i have 900hrs on ark) I was able to solo 1) Breed rexes that hatch at 14k hp and 450 melee 2) Gather all artifacts and items required for the boss fights 3) defeated all bosses solo*. Thus I have access to all TEK items, plus I have enough element to power it.

Regarding uselessness, I agree TEK armor is mostly useless, but not everything:

• TEK rifle is amazing, especially in caves/underwater caves
  • TEK doors are great for their autoclose and non-dino-blocking
  • TEK transmitter is great, until then I had to travel to obelisks each time for a server transfer
  • TEK generator is great, especially since they decreased element usage
  • TEK replicator is really nice to quickly craft items of all kinds
  • TEK tileset is okay, I mainly use it for the look of it, does not seem to be superior to metal (cost-wise)
  • TEK Saddles are mostly useless because of lower armor. Tapejara Tek Saddle is really nice tough
  • TEK Forcefields seems useless to me because it wastes the structure and contained element upon collapsing, havent tried this in raid situations though
  • TEK cloning chamber is the biggest joke of all TEK items
  • Can't tell about TEK trough, haven't used it
  • Who on earth decided you shall not be able to transfer element via server transfer? Why do we have a TEK transmitter? Why can I bring my full TEK armor, yet have no element on the other side to power it? How stupid is this, really?

I agree with the OP that TEK should be made available to more players. And there are lots of valid complaints about the whole TEK stuff, in my opinion (element drop too low, bosses to hard, items suck). 

Regarding boss fights, I already commented here: 

Which is still true in my opinion.

*this was pre boss-breaking patches and pre-release. I have now set damage/resistance of alpha bosses to 66% in order to allow small tribes/solo players to beat it. With this, it will be possible to beat alpha dragon solo. I have never used the stuck technique, meaning it constantly lift of and returned. Thus, this could still be beatable solo after the latest dragon nerf. However, I have stopped playing ark around patch 263, so I can't tell for the current patch level.

Do you make use of all 100+ dinosaurs, or only a few?

Just because they add something it does not mean everyone will use it. For example, I never used the cage outside of a joke on someone. Useless item there.
I use the cage for taming smaller dinos (I'm looking at you, hyenadon), and keeping dung beetles in place. Almost everything has a use, even if it's not the obvious one.

I think Tek is in a good spot. It should be optional. People shouldn't run around with Tek gear. It should only be used for special occasions. If you make it more accessible or buff it just becomes a requirement to get it.

About the generator and tek trough: I don't know why anyone wouldn't use them. They are easy to unlock and take very little element. You can do it solo without much of a problem. Just requires time to get your tames together. Don't even need to breed for mutations to do medium bosses. Just find a tame with high health and one with high damage, breed them and you can do Beta bosses solo. They are not as hard as they used to be.

I agree that Tek is for the most part useless when it comes to the core of ARK. PVE it's a fun little thing ot try out, though Tek armor is gimmicky at best, it's not even great armor wise. And everything else is just 'grind-alleviating' or it's just...gimmicky and requires too much effort to upkeep for most on officials.
However, sorry to say but Dragon CAN be defeated, even on Alpha. Many people including myself have done it, with the right team and set up.

He means solo or with teeny tiny group.

Tek is used by many people, myself included, make an alliance and join allies in bosses if you dont want a tribe big enough for it.

Again, this game is made to be played in groups, stop demanding that they cater to your entitled needs. Go play single player or use your own server where you can adjust settings.
The suggestion was good, untill u started being a prick, u should try being helpful, not rude.

Archived