"Performance upgrade"

Gunmetallink11

8 hours ago, Gunmetallink11 said:

Has anyone noticed anything different about how ark plays? Does it feel like it's getting smoother? It seems to be the same old rubber banding screen tearing mess so far.. we were told that console players would have a massive performance upgrade client side.. yet... nothing has changed

There was some optimizations to the code. However, based on the improvements I have seen across several different PC configurations, consoles just wouldn't get a noticable improvement.

Fact is the main consoles are just potatoes built on 2011-2013 Tek. 

The Pro and One X might see a very mild improvement as those potatoes are at least newer, but that's about it.

To be honest I think think things have improved for consoles in some  ways. There was a time when I wouldnt use a flyer other than a quetz with a platform saddle because the disconnecting was so bad. Now thats not the case.

I havent really noticed much of a difference really recently other than I could swear the render distance is smaller than it used to be. Especially noticeable on Ragnarok. Thats the big thing that jumps out for me. In terms of performance.

11 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

There was some optimizations to the code. However, based on the improvements I have seen across several different PC configurations, consoles just wouldn't get a noticable improvement.

Fact is the main consoles are just potatoes built on 2011-2013 Tek. 

The Pro and One X might see a very mild improvement as those potatoes are at least newer, but that's about it.

Hey ! I like my potato xD  In all seriousness though, the console really does struggle with Ark. Became especially obvious when the Origami dinosaur incident happened. Really ought to start saving up for a decent gaming pc hahaha

Yes. Render distance has been reduced dramatically. I was swimming along on a mosa and ran nose first into an alpha squid that rendered in front of me. Eye to dinner plate sized eye. It did not go well for my mosa.

Thanks, WC.

Between the low grade DDOS that will not stop, and your monkeying with stuff, YOU are the biggest threat to gameplay right now. 

And for the fanboys that show up to ask how DDOS is WC fault, they have the ability to globally ban cheaters. Which means they can identify IPs. Which means they could block them. Which means they allow the DDOS to happen.

Got it, can't stop DDOS. But you can identify the IP within seconds and block it. 

But they don't.

42 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

To be honest I think think things have improved for consoles in some  ways. There was a time when I wouldnt use a flyer other than a quetz with a platform saddle because the disconnecting was so bad. Now thats not the case.

I havent really noticed much of a difference really recently other than I could swear the render distance is smaller than it used to be. Especially noticeable on Ragnarok. Thats the big thing that jumps out for me. In terms of performance.

Hey ! I like my potato xD  In all seriousness though, the console really does struggle with Ark. Became especially obvious when the Origami dinosaur incident happened. Really ought to start saving up for a decent gaming pc hahaha

Unfortunately, consoles have to hit a certain price point, so they just can't compete.

I would suggest the DC's being fixed is likely a server side change and not the rendering optimizations that were done for client side.

8 minutes ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

Yes. Render distance has been reduced dramatically. I was swimming along on a mosa and ran nose first into an alpha squid that rendered in front of me. Eye to dinner plate sized eye. It did not go well for my mosa.

Thanks, WC.

Between the low grade DDOS that will not stop, and your monkeying with stuff, YOU are the biggest threat to gameplay right now. 

And for the fanboys that show up to ask how DDOS is WC fault, they have the ability to globally ban cheaters. Which means they can identify IPs. Which means they could block them. Which means they allow the DDOS to happen.

Got it, can't stop DDOS. But you can identify the IP within seconds and block it. 

But they don't.

Do you understand how DDOS works? It's not one IP, it's literally thousands of them all pinging the server till it crashes. And it's very easy to fake IP's, change them, etc.

There simply is no way to stop them by banning.

49 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

i have a very good gaming pc but i'm just more comfortable gaming in my recliner kicked back with a controller in my hand, with integrated voice chat system while drinking a cold one. which is why i can't wait for crossplay and my already pre ordered onex. the never ending delays on everything ark is taking it toll on me though.

24 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Unfortunately, consoles have to hit a certain price point, so they just can't compete.

I would suggest the DC's being fixed is likely a server side change and not the rendering optimizations that were done for client side.

Yeah your probably right on that one, alot of connection losses back in the day but was alot of dashboarding as well. Was using it as an example of an improvement in general, but my lack of knowledge of programming terminology deffinatly didnt help my original comment lol. The whole concept of server side and client side things etc etc is relatively new to me.

16 minutes ago, IamTANK said:

i have a very good gaming pc but i'm just more comfortable gaming in my recliner kicked back with a controller in my hand, with integrated voice chat system while drinking a cold one. which is why i can't wait for crossplay and my already pre ordered onex. the never ending delays on everything ark is taking it toll on me though.

I know the feeling, probably another reason I have stuck to console, feels better sitting back in a comfy chair with a controller but then again, its what I am used to gaming wise. Hovering over a keyboard and with a mouse doesnt really apeal to me for relaxing, have spent way too much time hovering over a keyboard in the past..... 

43 minutes ago, IamTANK said:

I feel you there. That's why my rig sits in my living room connected to my Entertainment system and a wireless Xbox controller... You know, for those times I just want to fire up a racing game, grab a beer & controller and game on the ridiculous TV & sound system I bought. ?

27 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Yeah your probably right on that one, alot of connection losses back in the day but was alot of dashboarding as well. Was using it as an example of an improvement in general, but my lack of knowledge of programming terminology deffinatly didnt help my original comment lol. The whole concept of server side and client side things etc etc is relatively new to me.

I know the feeling, probably another reason I have stuck to console, feels better sitting back in a comfy chair with a controller but then again, its what I am used to gaming wise. Hovering over a keyboard and with a mouse doesnt really apeal to me for relaxing, have spent way too much time hovering over a keyboard in the past..... 

Lol... We can't all be Tek geeks.

Wireless keyboard & mouse with a lap desk my friend. ?

Anyone saying the game hasn't been optimized is high or suffers from log term memory loss. I have gone from 25-35 fps back in 2015 to 60-80fps on the same computer and settings now. 

Admittedly, consoles are potatoes that should be sold for a real platform. There's only so muhyou can squeeze out of the jaguar APUs.

Edit: all the rubber banding and most of the screen hanging is because of server side issues, namely, the servers not really being strong enough to run ark.

Archived