pve The Skjaldborg Server (PvE and light-RP; high-performance hosted by Nitrado)

MagnusEffect

The Skjaldborg

We are adding custom content, events, and quests that should bring something fresh for all players regardless of previous experiences.
Custom features on our server:

• Quality over quantity: we maintain a high-performance server that enjoys a positive and friendly environment.  Service is provided by Nitrado.
  • Player vs. Environment experience with OPTIONAL PvP arena-based combat.
  • Weekly quests with rewards.
  • Other methods of obtaining dinos besides wild taming.
  • A functioning economy that changes with supply and demand.
  • Content that rewards ALL play styles.
  • Less "bullet-sponge" combat, more dangerous dinos and human weapons.
  • Secret locations to find, explore, and unlock.
  • Better rewards for reaching ascension.
  • GM/player-controlled epic creatures to hunt and claim as trophies.
  • A persistent and ongoing roleplaying experience!
  • A player-driven story that expands upon the vanilla lore!
  • The freedom to do whatever you want! (Code of Conduct rules still apply)

Speaking of lore...

[IMG]

By will or by chance i cannot say; 
How the guardians reached us one day. 
Three they were then of 
fire, wind, and earth; 
Far from this island the place of their birth. 
Strong and wise they were. Helped man, they tried, 
Until we betrayed and now they hide. 
Some hope they return and help again, 
But such fools forget the sins of men. 
From valley deeps to the mountain peaks, 
Only search for them if death you seek.

ABOUT THE SKJALDBORG

The Skjaldborg is a multi-gaming community committed to providing a friendly and non-demanding gaming environment that is open to people of all backgrounds.  Some would describe us as a "casual" group, but that's not really accurate.  More accurately, we are a group that respects the importance of finding a healthy balance between online gaming and real life responsibilities.  We believe in providing an engaging environment, but with enough space for players to find their own level of enjoyment.

CONTACT US AT OUR WEBSITE FOR INVITATION
http://www.theskjaldborg.com/index.php
The Skjaldborg

ABOUT CURRENT SERVER SETTINGS:

Here is a copy of the decission we made to use the vanilla technology tree on The Island.

Welp... the second poll is done and the results are just slightly better than last time. Not exactly the clearest majority i had hoped for, but we will have to run with it. After hearing suggestions from both sides, I have made my decision: classic tech tree it is.

Now before you flip tables, hear me out!

First off, I want to reiterrate that we are starting again with the Island map because it is the only one that is "free" and is the most "content complete". The Scorched Earth map looks good, but is still quite expensive DLC. The Ragnarok map looks to be an excellent upgrade, but it is not finished yet. More on that later.

Now here are the concerns that ultimately swayed my decision for the tech tree:

1. The vanilla experience has changed substantially since our last server. Combined with the content I have planned, it will not be the same experience.

2. The vast majority of us never finished the original content.

3. Server settings have been adjusted to make humans generally squishier; high level creatures will be tougher to kill without good planning, good equipment, and good teamwork.

4. Autoturret engram can be disabled manually for server (no more cheap deaths to unseen turrets).

5. Primitive+ has NO GPS tracking system for derpy dinos that run away (a great concern for some).

6. Primitive+ has no upgradeable (metal) raft (a great concern for some).

7. Primitive+ has no underwater equipment or seabase building; makes some things significantly more difficult for the Island map (a great concern for some).

8. Primitive+ is more limited in "narrative" options for me to work with as GM. More on this later.

9. Primitive+ is a full conversion mod and causes SIGNIFICANT load times for many players (based on posted feedback and personal interviews); some report as long as 15 minute load times from this mod alone. Even if it doesn't affect everyone, that is a great concern for me. More testing is needed before I feel comfortable using it and that's time I don't have right now.

As I hope you can see, it is not for any single reason I came to my decision and I did not make it lightly. My sincere apologies for those that are disappointed by this news, but I hope this will not discourage you from giving the server a chance. I have a lot planned in terms of custom content and quests that should keep things interesting. I want to keep it fresh for everyone. If you are concerned the experience will be too easy or boring, please let me know personally. I am looking for feedback. Just be careful what you ak for. ;)

That being said, there is still some hope for Primitive+. Since the Ragnarok map (to my knowledge) has a lot more land mass (and less deep water caves to navigate), I believe it will be an excellent candidate for Primitive+. Therefore, I make a pledge to you: Let's give this upcoming server a chance for the next three months (until the end of the year) and then see where we are at. If Ragnarok is complete, Primitive+ loading tests work, and the majority are ready to move on, we will fasttrack to ascension on the Island (for those that still want it) and move on to Ragnarok with Primitive+.

I hope this is a compromise everyone can accept.

As you can hopefully see, we spent a lot of time discussing within our community what direction we wanted to go with our server.  While we realize we can never meet everyone's demands, we make every effort possible to give all our members a voice in the decissions we make.

OUR MOD POLICY: Less is more.

We maintain the opinion that the best Ark experience is one that augments the vanilla gameplay rather than replacing it.  With that in mind, we prefer to focus on things that improve quality of life for the server without dumbing things down or making things too easy.  Many of the mods we use are specifically included just to allow our GMs to better manage RP events that we provide.

The current list of mods we use for our server can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099817379

PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME OF THE ITEMS THAT COME WITH THESE MODS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE FOR GM/ADMIN USE!

SERVER ROAD MAP - A look into the future.

As mentioned above, we are excitedly waiting for the completion of the Ragnarok map.  We expect it to be done some time by the end of the year.  If it is not completed by that time, then we will likely focus on Aberration instead which is turning out to be very interesting.  More details will be provided when I have time.

Pre-built assets for the server to add some flavor to the scenario:

[IMG]
The new "safezone" for new players is built (found near Spawn 1).

[IMG]
The new bridge looks fantastic! Smaller creatures can cross this too.

[IMG]
Taking shelter in a small cave until morning comes. Players that find these can search what remains for additional rewards and other hidden secrets.

[IMG]
Another rope bridge. We have a small network of these along the southern end of the Island (not over the entire map).  They open up new avenues for land-based travel. Their purpose is to give a little help to players in the early game. This is offset by the greater danger compared to flying.

Here's what my custom loot crates will look like:
[IMG]
These will be scattered about the world and in hard to reach places. Sometimes riddles will be associated with locating these. They will typically hold quest items, but may also hold rare materials on occasion. I intend to restock these once per week to prevent abuse.

I've also built upon the "alien precursor world" vibe by adding non-functional (or are they?) alien structures. The secrets to which players will unlock over time.
[IMG]

And a working mail system for quest giving:
[IMG]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived