Hyaenodon Awesomeness

AngrySaltire

So I have been playing around on my own single player server after quiting official and read a while back on a previous topic that hyaenodons would be a great tame for going caving with especially since any caving I would do now would be solo.

So I tamed up a 150 male and some lower level females, and started breeding. Nothing special, no stat mutations but did get a single colour mutation (yellow fur) so now have myself Gold squadron, 5 imprinted hyaendodons Gold 1 through 5 (planning on more), with the idea of caving with them with my baryoynx. 

Took them out for a spin last night to see how they would fair just out and about, mauling anything I could find, started on parasaurs and moved up to brontos. Now for the bit that got me excited, ended up taking on a lvl 80 alpha raptor after tip toing around it, was sure it would annihilate my pack. Absolutely shredded it, lost little to no health. Absolutely stunned, cant wait to take it to the limit and actually try some caves now, especially the swamp one.

Finally a question. I know the hyaenodons have a healing mechanic if they eat a corpse. But would this mechanic work if I switched off the harvesting in the behaviour menu because am worried about them becoming over encumbered when caving ?  Wiki doesnt say anything useful.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

But would this mechanic work if I switched off the harvesting in the behaviour menu because am worried about them becoming over encumbered when caving ?

Not sure about the switching off harvesting mechanic but a meatpack saddle should reduce the weight enough to let you take a break to empty them out in the few times you have a break in Caves. 

5 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Not sure about the switching off harvesting mechanic but a meatpack saddle should reduce the weight enough to let you take a break to empty them out in the few times you have a break in Caves. 

Oh didnt realise it reduced carry weight . Knew it reduced spoilage timer though. Have an mc bluprint with 65 amour on it.

3 minutes ago, guntotingatheist said:

Are you saying the meat pack should make a one pound item weigh less than one pound?

Why not just level up the weight carry?

Not going to waste points into weight that can be put into health and melee.

7 minutes ago, guntotingatheist said:

Are you saying the meat pack should make a one pound item weigh less than one pound?

Yes. It reduces meat by a little over 50%. i never had a Hyaenodon myself but people have touted a Hyaenodon squad with meat packs and a Giga as the fastest way to get all the meat you need for mass breeding. 

7 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Told ya they are pretty OP! ?

I would think turning off harvest would kill the healing effect, but I've never tested it.

I'd say just shut it off on one, give it a couple punches and sick it on a dodo to find out.

Haha Pretty sure it was you who gave me the idea in that Swamp Cave thread lol.

Thats my thinking aswell, would make sense but it could have depended on the how the mechanic would work I would guess.

That is my plan for tonight, was just home from work and wanted to share my new found excitement for the hyaenodon.

4 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Haha Pretty sure it was you who gave me the idea in that Swamp Cave thread lol.

Thats my thinking aswell, would make sense but it could have depended on the how the mechanic would work I would guess.

That is my plan for tonight, was just home from work and wanted to share my new found excitement for the hyaenodon.

Yup it was me... I'm still Loving my pack for caving. Totally my favorite Dino's for it right now. 

Wait till you have a well bred pack of 6 with a couple melee mutations... You'll be amazed what they can one shot. ?

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

So I have been playing around on my own single player server after quiting official and read a while back on a previous topic that hyaenodons would be a great tame for going caving with especially since any caving I would do now would be solo.

So I tamed up a 150 male and some lower level females, and started breeding. Nothing special, no stat mutations but did get a single colour mutation (yellow fur) so now have myself Gold squadron, 5 imprinted hyaendodons Gold 1 through 5 (planning on more), with the idea of caving with them with my baryoynx. 

Took them out for a spin last night to see how they would fair just out and about, mauling anything I could find, started on parasaurs and moved up to brontos. Now for the bit that got me excited, ended up taking on a lvl 80 alpha raptor after tip toing around it, was sure it would annihilate my pack. Absolutely shredded it, lost little to no health. Absolutely stunned, cant wait to take it to the limit and actually try some caves now, especially the swamp one.

Finally a question. I know the hyaenodons have a healing mechanic if they eat a corpse. But would this mechanic work if I switched off the harvesting in the behaviour menu because am worried about them becoming over encumbered when caving ?  Wiki doesnt say anything useful.

I think an injured hyaenodon immediately consumes the meat it took from a corpse. Might need testing.

7 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Yup it was me... I'm still Loving my pack for caving. Totally my favorite Dino's for it right now. 

Wait till you have a well bred pack of 6 with a couple melee mutations... You'll be amazed what they can one shot. ?

Wasnt anywhere near my favourite tame but has shot up the rankings now.

Oh I have dreams for this. Although I reckon that the Tek Cave might be pushing it. 

Just now, AngrySaltire said:

Wasnt anywhere near my favourite tame but has shot up the rankings now.

Oh I have dreams for this. Although I reckon that the Tek Cave might be pushing it. 

I plan on taking a team to the Tek cave but I'm not expecting them to make it out. Good chance I'll lose some just to lava.

Even the snow cave, those Yuti's and Polar Bears will probably mess them up pretty good.

21 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

I think an injured hyaenodon immediately consumes the meat it took from a corpse. Might need testing.

So a quick test. Just took out one hyaenadon. Swithced off  victim item collection AND harvest resources. Stuck a few bullets into him. Sorry Gold 5 daddy still loves you, but I needed to try something. Attacked a dodo and dilo, and the healing still works, even eats the corpse and everything

6 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

So a quick test. Just took out one hyaenadon. Swithced off  victim item collection AND harvest resources. Stuck a few bullets into him. Sorry Gold 5 daddy still loves you, but I needed to try something. Attacked a dodo and dilo, and the healing still works, even eats the corpse and everything

I'm surprised that still works... Now they're even more OP! Great info to have.

1 minute ago, Rufiosghost said:

I now want to go find some of these. 

Anyone know where I can find some on Ragnarok? I've mostly stuck to the northeast corner in my brief time there. 

They are all around green ob to the beach definitely. We kill them for their really good amount of prime meat when we are just prime meat taming something. 

2 minutes ago, Rufiosghost said:

I now want to go find some of these. 

Anyone know where I can find some on Ragnarok? I've mostly stuck to the northeast corner in my brief time there. 

Havent seen many, but have seen some south west of the scar/volcano area going from memory.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Spawn_Map_(Ragnarok)

Found this recently, really useful.

When it comes to tusos, plesios, thorny dragons or Hyenas you'll be hard pressed to find someone with more knowledge than me.  I tamed a 150 female when they first came out on PC took me six hour to figure out a method, today on ps4 (moved when laptop blew up and server went legacy) on official PVE I ended up accidentally building my base outside a hyena spawn so today I have like.....20 something hyenas? None were less than 130 wild, many are bred.

My elite hyenas have 4-5K health, 400% Melee at LEAST, and iv recently picked up a 74 armor meatpack blueprint and im in the process of mass producing those starting with my hunting hyenas.

General hyena owner information to know: 

Hyenas corpse harvest heal dosnt effect the healing they get from eating normally, if they dont get a bite in on a corpse they naturally dont get a heal out of it, they do not inherently seek corpses when low on health unfortunately but will eat corpses of targets they were ordered to attack (which makes them exceptional prime meat packmules).

Hyenas have two major weakness and a third pretty severe drawback - they are easily knocked back by most enemies and cant swim worth a crap, crossing swamps or streams can be a grueling process. The severe drawback, is even when tamed they cant be pulled with a grappling hook so if they are knocked down off a ledge or into some place they cant be reached with a pickup dino they are lost.

On the flip side they are very fast for their size, generally able to keep pace with stock speed spino and they are essentially considered a 'tiny' dino for collision meaning any dino you can ride, can just walk through them so even with a wolf you wont get trapped by your hyenas.

Hyenas can reach a bonus of +6 from being in a pack, that means the most efficient pack size you can get is 7 but the more you have the more heads you need to keep track of so generally when I am out hunting in the open world I have 3 (including one of each gender for mate boost). Now you might ask how tough can a +6 pack of hyenas get? Well a pack of seven of my elite hyenas in primitive saddles can go toe to toe with a deathworm with no deaths, can utterly trash alpha raptors, most alpha carnos shouldnt be a issue,  I pitted them against a alpha rex and they got it to the point it began to get bloody but without a anchor the alpha rex began to freak out and run circles on them causing massive trample damage that made short work of the lot so in the case of alpha rex's youll need something to hold the rex in place so the hyenas can dps it down. Iv also tested them against a alpha worm and they wrecked it but I need to do more tests to account for variables and at this time I dont recommend it.

Losing hyenas is always a possibility, but the ease of breeding or taming more (if you know how) makes them fairly easy to replace, I finally got some color mutations today in fact though nothing too fancy just a grey back/paws and a rosey pink back/paw one.

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

Your telling me lol Although to complete the science we need someone to copy the methodology and replicate the result.

I'll try it next time I'm on. Unfortunately not at home today though.

34 minutes ago, Dracul said:

When it comes to tusos, plesios, thorny dragons or Hyenas you'll be hard pressed to find someone with more knowledge than me.  I tamed a 150 female when they first came out on PC took me six hour to figure out a method, today on ps4 (moved when laptop blew up and server went legacy) on official PVE I ended up accidentally building my base outside a hyena spawn so today I have like.....20 something hyenas? None were less than 130 wild, many are bred.

My elite hyenas have 4-5K health, 400% Melee at LEAST, and iv recently picked up a 74 armor meatpack blueprint and im in the process of mass producing those starting with my hunting hyenas.

General hyena owner information to know: 

Hyenas corpse harvest heal dosnt effect the healing they get from eating normally, if they dont get a bite in on a corpse they naturally dont get a heal out of it, they do not inherently seek corpses when low on health unfortunately but will eat corpses of targets they were ordered to attack (which makes them exceptional prime meat packmules).

Hyenas have two major weakness and a third pretty severe drawback - they are easily knocked back by most enemies and cant swim worth a crap, crossing swamps or streams can be a grueling process. The severe drawback, is even when tamed they cant be pulled with a grappling hook so if they are knocked down off a ledge or into some place they cant be reached with a pickup dino they are lost.

On the flip side they are very fast for their size, generally able to keep pace with stock speed spino and they are essentially considered a 'tiny' dino for collision meaning any dino you can ride, can just walk through them so even with a wolf you wont get trapped by your hyenas.

Hyenas can reach a bonus of +6 from being in a pack, that means the most efficient pack size you can get is 7 but the more you have the more heads you need to keep track of so generally when I am out hunting in the open world I have 3 (including one of each gender for mate boost). Now you might ask how tough can a +6 pack of hyenas get? Well a pack of seven of my elite hyenas in primitive saddles can go toe to toe with a deathworm with no deaths, can utterly trash alpha raptors, most alpha carnos shouldnt be a issue,  I pitted them against a alpha rex and they got it to the point it began to get bloody but without a anchor the alpha rex began to freak out and run circles on them causing massive trample damage that made short work of the lot so in the case of alpha rex's youll need something to hold the rex in place so the hyenas can dps it down. Iv also tested them against a alpha worm and they wrecked it but I need to do more tests to account for variables and at this time I dont recommend it.

Losing hyenas is always a possibility, but the ease of breeding or taming more (if you know how) makes them fairly easy to replace, I finally got some color mutations today in fact though nothing too fancy just a grey back/paws and a rosey pink back/paw one.

Good info to have, thanks!

Losing a few isn't that bad once you're into breeding. I prefer a pack of 6 and have another dozen bred for replacements. Lol.

2 hours ago, Dracul said:

How fast are tusos compared to other sea creatures? I'm interested in getting one but I dont want to be crawling across the map lol.

Just now, rororoxor said:

How fast are tusos compared to other sea creatures? I'm interested in getting one but I dont want to be crawling across the map lol.

Oddly enough its another case of the dossier being full of it, they are actually pretty fast and can make very tight turns (especially on PC where they can do a 180 without moving, oddly that dosnt seem to be a thing on PS4 at least) I do generally recommend putting like ten levels into speed, it makes traveling much more pleasant as a whole.

Archived