Best shoulder Dino?

LegenDairy

Keep in mind that shoulder dinos inventories only enucmber you 50% as much when they're on your shoulder. That being said...

Dimos/Vulture are best for dealing damage. Vulture, you cannot put items into it's inventory, which is annoying but it preserves meat that it harvests for a significantly longer duration.

Monkey carries the most weight so if you level up weight on a high level one, you can effectively carry 150-200~ more weight.

Probably the most useful is Otter, though. It sucks in all regards except one - it gives you a very large amount of cold and decent amount of heat resistance. The bonuses scale of it's melee stat, 80%~ of melee converted to cold resistance and 35%~ to heat resistance. With one of these, you can go almost anywhere without concern for temperature regardless of your armour.

For general overall functionality the Otter trumps all with its wearable insulation, but all of them have some useful feature that can be handier in some situations such as the jerboa's weather prediction on SE, the vultures meat storing (but as you cant put anything INTO its inventory, this is only handy if its doing the harvesting but you can stand at a corpse and have it harvest it without even throwing it). Dont know much about pegos though but in terms of backpack potential the Microraptor is interesting - it has the same stat potential as a vulture but can carry anything you put into it, and are exceedingly easy to tame I picked up a 145 for one rare flower and pumped all his current points into weight and he can be loaded up with a whopping 140 or so worth of weight.

22 minutes ago, Dracul said:

For general overall functionality the Otter trumps all with its wearable insulation, but all of them have some useful feature that can be handier in some situations such as the jerboa's weather prediction on SE, the vultures meat storing (but as you cant put anything INTO its inventory, this is only handy if its doing the harvesting but you can stand at a corpse and have it harvest it without even throwing it). Dont know much about pegos though but in terms of backpack potential the Microraptor is interesting - it has the same stat potential as a vulture but can carry anything you put into it, and are exceedingly easy to tame I picked up a 145 for one rare flower and pumped all his current points into weight and he can be loaded up with a whopping 140 or so worth of weight.

How much insulation do you get from an otter? Do you now if any stat increases it at all?

Edit:wiki says it's melee dictates it's insulation so increasing it should increase its value..

49 minutes ago, Obbu said:

Jerboa's pretty great for scorched, and you can probably use it's weight modifier to carry some stuff too? :P

I imagine otter is nice for scorched too, but replacing it might be a pain.

the monkey (meso) also has that weight modifier just so that you know it, and a high lvl bred one with imprint can easy have 400+ weight and it throws dung to help with tames (slowing them)

jerboa is the most overrated tame there is, because wild jerboas also warn you from storms and wild jerboas are everywhere lol

so for me it's the vulture while fighting/gathering and the meso for transporting/crafting (like putting 300 stacks of fiber/thatch/hide/you name it

4 minutes ago, raptorjesus666 said:

the monkey (meso) also has that weight modifier just so that you know it, and a high lvl bred one with imprint can easy have 400+ weight and it throws dung to help with tames (slowing them)

jerboa is the most overrated tame there is, because wild jerboas also warn you from storms and wild jerboas are everywhere lol

so for me it's the vulture while fighting/gathering and the meso for transporting/crafting (like putting 300 stacks of fiber/thatch/hide/you name it

That's under the assumption you're on the ground ;)
When I'm flying around on my Wyvern, or am in the deep desert, there's no Jerboa's around and I'd like to be notified about sandstorms and thunderstorms then.
Especially when hunting alpha deathworms.

Just now, Olivar said:

When I'm flying around on my Wyvern, or am in the deep desert, there's no Jerboa's around and I'd like to be notified about sandstorms and thunderstorms then.

because hunting alpha deathworms on a wyvern is wrong in the first place ^^

never use things without saddle/helmet slot to kill things that hit hard

Just now, Olivar said:

My kill-streak says otherwise :D

it's not impossible

but howmuch damage do you take?

my allos, boosted by a yuty that i ride myself take 500-1000 damage per alpha deathworm

versus regular worms they lose not even 500 health per worm

my allos have 15 to 20k health and 650% melee.

mate boosted, decent saddles + yuty boost

i have 0 downtime and never have to heal, can you say the same?

not to mention the fast speed on both yuty and allo + good stamina (my yuty has 4k stamina)

Oh I take damage for sure, and usually stick to one hunt a day, assuming I find it in the first place.
Never claimed my way is the most efficient way, but for me it's about having fun and the thrill of the fight.

I'm not a min/max player, I simply want to have fun in this game.
And sometimes this is hunting difficult stuff, going toe to toe with an alpha without a dino, exploring or simply building.
Depends on the mood really.

There's just so many ways to play and enjoy this game.

4 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Oh I take damage for sure, and usually stick to one hunt a day, assuming I find it in the first place.
Never claimed my way is the most efficient way, but for me it's about having fun and the thrill of the fight.

I'm not a min/max player, I simply want to have fun in this game.
And sometimes this is hunting difficult stuff, going toe to toe with an alpha without a dino, exploring or simply building.
Depends on the mood really.

There's just so many ways to play and enjoy this game.

sure is, can even take out a titanosaur with allos if you have some time spare. hit, run, hit, run and repeat

long fight but fun

i'm not min/max'ing either but since they changed the force feed speed, i aim for the best/fastest way to down something i want to down

and having armor from a helmet piece or saddle sure helps alot, esp with all these high quality saddles in those desert drops

that bring me to this!

a meso can wear a helmet, so stick an ascendant riot helm on it for alot of armor ^^ or a mining helmet for a flashlight (unless they patched that)

1 hour ago, Olivar said:

Especially when hunting dragon eggs :P My tribe mate found this one out the hard way when hunting eggs in the scar. Wasnt carrying a Jerboa and got caught out by a sandstorm right after taking an egg from a nest. He lost his 100% imprinted fire wyvern because a lightning wyvern caught him. He was gutted. I never go anywhere on scorched with out a Jerboa. Like getting in a car without putting on a seatbelt lol.

For me I never usually bothered with shoulder buddys outside of scorched but have taken to the otter recently mainly for looks aswell as that added insulation.

Just had a thought, there isnt a shoulder buddy that you can take underwater for extended periods right ? They all have oxygen stats right ? Now theres an idea for a new niche for a dino lol

Just now, MrDynamicMan said:

Nah, I was thinking of the swamp thing that's basically a libinf scuba tank. Spinos don't have an oxy stat, last I saw.

Ah the diplocalaus ? Spinos have one but barys dont which is silly. I was thinking of shoulder buddys that had a utility underwater rather than mountable dinos.

Archived