v271.0 Boss Changes-What's the damage?

Vrallox

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178415799

This is an attempt on our server with the following setup:

• 19 Therizinosaur, 120 tames with 50 levels added. Used GMSummon for this to speed things up
  • 1 Yutirannus, level 120 tame with GMSummon
  • All given 5 veggie cakes
  • All given a saddle ranging between 70 - 100 armor  (Journeyman - Mastercraft - Ascended)
  • Using healing brews
  • Using Ghillie ranging up to Master craft
  • Journeyman rifle with bullets

The dinosaurs are probably a bit too strong compared to vanilla. I'm not entirely sure whether you can get these on official, perhaps by breeding them you can get the same levels we have. But the difference is not going to be that huge. The video is simply to demonstrate the difference by using Therizinosaurs compared to Rexes in this fight.

Rexes get shredded by the dragon. Probably because they are clumsy, slow and cannot hide under the dragon like these birds can.
Compared to our previous rex attempts, this fight was a joke right now.
We're running a second attempt now with only half the dinosaurs included: so 9 Therizinisaur and 1 Yuti.

For the Record, we do not use any boosted mods compared to vanilla.
We are as close to vanilla as possible on our server, with the only difference that we have shorter times for taming, breeding and eggs.
E.g we get stuff done faster on our server, but we still need to build and farm everything for gear and actually find the right dino's in the wild.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

This is BS in my opinion. Bosses are already hard enough. Think about it... the game has been out for a month today and do you know anyone on the new official cluster who has defeated the dragon? What other game takes more than a month to defeat one of the lesser bosses? Once you get the dinos needed and the technique down it should be doable with 1 or 2 people since boss fights are the only way to get element and element powers everything. Kind of like killing a titan with a bread and imprinted Giga, bosses should be doable. You should not need a huge tribe to access end game items if you have the right armor, saddles, dinos, and technique. Gigas and Titans can pin us, we should be able to pin bosses.

Maybe this is a way to make sure we buy the expansion pack? I hear element will be plentiful there.

Most big tribes have done the dragon or ragnarok bosses by now

Heck I can't wait to do them this round... They actually scale with server settings and player count now so I should see 1000 level bosses ready to kick my arse! 

I welcome the challenge as they were a cake walk before.

Gonna clone every dino so I can learn on a fail and go back immediately if need be.

20 hours ago, Wallbuilder said:

Apparently thinking outside of the "20 rexes, charge!" box is too hard for most.

Thinking isn't the issue.  Issue is few people want to invest the time in a breeding program for a strategy that has a high chance of failure.  Like, Theriz or Chalicos might be ideal to down the dragon, but I'm not going to spend the next three months taming, breeding and trading just to find out.

12 hours ago, Kayin said:

Are you telling me I need to assault a dragon.. with a moose?

In all fairness to the moose, maybe. My cousin soloed a level 115 alpha carno with a tamed male, 105 armor saddle, and his double barrel. He did not tell us he was doing this, he just happened upon the alpha and went after it. Moose survived, only to get trapped a week later in a crack in a cave and take a month to starve. We even tried to get it out with a megalosaurus. 

It was a good moose.

Maybe a bred female moose with the extra slight base speed advantage will help, and they can eat veggie cakes. 

It bears some looking into if speed and the jump ability with ARs or compound bows can do what is needed.

I highly doubt toe to toe tanking though. 

Hah. Ten moose with ten players armed to the teeth with yuty and daeodon and tanking rexes. 

Presents quite the goofy image.

1 hour ago, Shoosty said:

Thinking isn't the issue.  Issue is few people want to invest the time in a breeding program for a strategy that has a high chance of failure.  Like, Theriz or Chalicos might be ideal to down the dragon, but I'm not going to spend the next three months taming, breeding and trading just to find out.

This.

It's good to know the Theriz swarm is viable.  We have it working for gamma bosses at this point, and based on number + yuts + pig combinations I bet we could take down a beta boss or two.   

I doubt alpha though.    They don't have the tank.      My tribe is too small to stand back and shoot bosses to death. 2 or 3 people can't lay down that kind of damage on an alpha within the time limit. I don't care what quality blueprint you have.

So here's a weird question.   Has anyone sent a 4 or 5 high health Brontos after a Dragon?  Slip underneath with maxed out theriz melee and chunk it down?

Edit:  nevermind,  you can't take brontos in, diplos, paracers, quetz (no battle quetz).   That kills so many fun possibilities.

6 hours ago, Shoosty said:

Well, it's an ultimate boss. By no means should it be a common thing. Personally, I'm glad people don't seem to have a strategy nailed, gives me a chance to try my hand at it. I loathe meta gaming.

3 hours ago, Wallbuilder said:

Well, it's an ultimate boss. By no means should it be a common thing. Personally, I'm glad people don't seem to have a strategy nailed, gives me a chance to try my hand at it. I loathe meta gaming.

I enjoy using my brain and trying unconventional strats in games.  If I were playing unofficial with 10x breeding and taming, I'd be trying all kinds of things.  But on official, I've literally seen dedicated tribes disintegrate instantly after their first failed boss attempt, because they pushed hard for months just to get to that point and when it went side ways, no one wanted to deal with the finger ponting and the demoralizing loss of all that time and the prospect of doing it all over again.

I'm also not opposed to the grind.  I have multiple 90+ imprint gigas, multiple 100 imprint Quetzals, a handful of 90+ Theriz, I've raised a dozen 100 imprint ankylos.  I will get up twice every night and drive home at lunch to get imprints or claim dinos or whatever.

But a big grind on top of an uncertain destination is out of the question.  Not because I lack curiosity or dedication, but because what's most important in this game IMO are my tribe mates, and I'm not going to risk burning every one out on a strategy we don't know can work.

I respect people who push hard just to take a shot, but I won't risk it.  The day will come when my tribe splits up and people move on to the next thing, but it won't be because I talked them into a hare brained scheme that didn't pan out.

7 minutes ago, raptorjesus666 said:

for dragon you need herbivores, and alot of high quality ranged weapons with tons of ammo

theris can easy get 45-50k hp if you have good bloodlines

Levelling HP past 21000 is detrimental since that's the limit a cake will heal you for, 10% of HP, capped at 2100. And 45-50k hp on a Theriz isn't just "good". That's obscene. A Theriz with 60 points in HP, aka, extremely high, will hit 41k hp at 40 levels invested. You're far better off investing in melee past 21k hitpoints so that you can close the fight ASAP.

21 hours ago, Olivar said:

The dinosaurs are probably a bit too strong compared to vanilla. I'm not entirely sure whether you can get these on official, perhaps by breeding them you can get the same levels we have. But the difference is not going to be that huge. The video is simply to demonstrate the difference by using Therizinosaurs compared to Rexes in this fight.

Those Therizinos are actually weaker than what you can get on Official. Official Servers have a Lvl 5 Difficulty, which means the max wild dino level is 150 (224 perfect tame). Those Therizinos weren't even Bred/Imprinted. Does your server have increased Dino Damage settings, or increased Dino Stats? Because 550-600+ damage per hit from a Therizino is excessive, especially for 120 tames that weren't bred/imprinted. Therizinos have 52 Base Damage, a Theriz with 642.5% MD should be doing 334 damage per hit, not 600+. Even a Yuty Roar combined with it, would'nt result in 600+ damage per hit. Increasing the Dino Damage or Dino Resist settings, makes the Dragon easier, due to the fight being a DPS race and his Breath DoT damage does not scale with the Server Settings.

1 hour ago, Daedros said:

Those Therizinos are actually weaker than what you can get on Official. Official Servers have a Lvl 5 Difficulty, which means the max wild dino level is 150 (224 perfect tame). Those Therizinos weren't even Bred/Imprinted. Does your server have increased Dino Damage settings, or increased Dino Stats? Because 550-600+ damage per hit from a Therizino is excessive, especially for 120 tames that weren't bred/imprinted. Therizinos have 52 Base Damage, a Theriz with 642.5% MD should be doing 334 damage per hit, not 600+. Even a Yuty Roar combined with it, would'nt result in 600+ damage per hit. Increasing the Dino Damage or Dino Resist settings, makes the Dragon easier, due to the fight being a DPS race and his Breath DoT damage does not scale with the Server Settings.

Nope, we have no increased dino damage settings. Every setting is the default value outside our difficulty, loot drops, fishing and mating/taming/breeding timers.
Everything else is "standard"

I finally had success on the Alpha dragon myself, though admittedly we might have had overpowered weapons and saddles. The 19 Theriz and 1 Yuty we used were standard for officials, heck probably a bit weaker (they all were lvled up to 318 from a 165 spawn in level, not an impossible feet on official with some breeding). All imprinted, Theri's had an excessive 40k HP with about 600% melee damage. The saddles were between 90-130. It was just me and my tribemate. I rode the Yuty, he stood back to shoot, until my Yuty died and I switched to shooting.

We won, but lost all but 2 of the Theri's. I'd gander that with a full 10 players there with good weapons and making sure the saddles are at least 100 armor, the Alpha dragon is do-able for sure with a 19 Theri, 1 yuty combo. Including a pig might better the odd of the army's survivability as well. Me and my tribemate probably only won with 2 people because we had really good weapons and saddles. No pinning whatsoever.

You're welcome by the way official people. Maybe now you can stop hating on unofficials. We're doing a lot of research for you by doing this on our less demanding rates/cheats.

11 minutes ago, Ulta said:

I finally had success on the Alpha dragon myself, though admittedly we might have had overpowered weapons and saddles. The 19 Theriz and 1 Yuty we used were standard for officials, heck probably a bit weaker (they all were lvled up to 318 from a 165 spawn in level, not an impossible feet on official with some breeding). All imprinted, Theri's had an excessive 40k HP with about 600% melee damage. The saddles were between 90-130. It was just me and my tribemate. I rode the Yuty, he stood back to shoot, until my Yuty died and I switched to shooting.

We won, but lost all but 2 of the Theri's. I'd gander that with a full 10 players there with good weapons and making sure the saddles are at least 100 armor, the Alpha dragon is do-able for sure with a 19 Theri, 1 yuty combo. Including a pig might better the odd of the army's survivability as well. Me and my tribemate probably only won with 2 people because we had really good weapons and saddles. No pinning whatsoever.

You're welcome by the way official people. Maybe now you can stop hating on unofficials. We're doing a lot of research for you by doing this on our less demanding rates/cheats.

Did all the Theri's have veggie cakes?

I was planning on 17, 2 pigs and a Yuty with veggie cakes for all the Theri's.

1 hour ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Did all the Theri's have veggie cakes?

I was planning on 17, 2 pigs and a Yuty with veggie cakes for all the Theri's.

Don't bother with the pigs.
Their healing doesn't even come close to the healing the cake does.
Better off taking 2 more Tzeri's inside and kill the dragon faster.

1 hour ago, Ulta said:

I had 5 veggie cakes on each Theri's. Forgot to mention it xD

Cool! Thanks for posting the results.

44 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Don't bother with the pigs.
Their healing doesn't even come close to the healing the cake does.
Better off taking 2 more Tzeri's inside and kill the dragon faster.

Good to know thanks!

• Jerryn locked this topic

Archived