General Wyvern Questions

Demigod

i'm beginning to get my dinos back after the last raid and i've made the decision that i will definitely be getting a wyvern soon, but i have questions first. to be clear, this is an official pvp xbox ragnarok server, and we will assume the wyvern egg is a level 180.

1. what should i use to obtain the egg? i currently have no flyers, so what should i tame in order to get the egg? should i tame an argie or a ptera or what?

2. if there are no wyverns rendered in the trench when i get the egg, will they aggro me once they are within render range?

3. what will cause the parent to de-aggro? do the wyverns continue aggro after you have left render range? will a wild animal distract it? 

4. how many standing torches would i need to hatch the egg? how about campfires? i know ACs are the most effective but i don't have the resources to make them yet. 

5. what do the babies eat? some have told me i will only need milk, others say you have to feed it meat and milk is only optional. so which is it? is milk a substitute for food? if so, how many units of meat would milk cover?

6. what's the best method for obtaining milk? obviously i would need to make a wyvern trap but should i go after regular wyverns or alphas? does wyvern level affect milk output? 

7. how long do they typically take to raise? on normal rates, will i be raising for a week or less? how does raising one compare to a rex?

8. i know this is more subjective, but what is the best type of wyvern to get? does the ice wyvern compare equally to the others?

i apologize for all the questions, but i want to be informed about this as much as i can before i make the leap to tame one of those beasts. if anyone is willing to contribute then that would be very much appreciated!

a fast as hek petra with lots of stam and a short distance to fly to your trap or out of sight of wyvern... they always agro as soon as they see u... a managed to get it focused on dinos but only before a took the egg and if you get far enuth away they will despawn... and ama stop hear, u have no res or no flyer, get your sht together then watch a wyvern video lol but yeah they take only milk and a would say watch a utube vid bro

48 minutes ago, Demigod said:

i'm beginning to get my dinos back after the last raid and i've made the decision that i will definitely be getting a wyvern soon, but i have questions first. to be clear, this is an official pvp xbox ragnarok server, and we will assume the wyvern egg is a level 180.

1. what should i use to obtain the egg? i currently have no flyers, so what should i tame in order to get the egg? should i tame an argie or a ptera or what?

2. if there are no wyverns rendered in the trench when i get the egg, will they aggro me once they are within render range?

3. what will cause the parent to de-aggro? do the wyverns continue aggro after you have left render range? will a wild animal distract it? 

4. how many standing torches would i need to hatch the egg? how about campfires? i know ACs are the most effective but i don't have the resources to make them yet. 

5. what do the babies eat? some have told me i will only need milk, others say you have to feed it meat and milk is only optional. so which is it? is milk a substitute for food? if so, how many units of meat would milk cover?

6. what's the best method for obtaining milk? obviously i would need to make a wyvern trap but should i go after regular wyverns or alphas? does wyvern level affect milk output? 

7. how long do they typically take to raise? on normal rates, will i be raising for a week or less? how does raising one compare to a rex?

8. i know this is more subjective, but what is the best type of wyvern to get? does the ice wyvern compare equally to the others?

i apologize for all the questions, but i want to be informed about this as much as i can before i make the leap to tame one of those beasts. if anyone is willing to contribute then that would be very much appreciated!

1. Get a ptera or Tape whichever you prefer. Before grabbing egg make sure you a trap for the wyverns chasing you and an escape route.

2. They will always aggro on you.

3. Flying far enough from the trench should make them deaggro. Or find a nearby dino.

4.Just get between 20-30 in a circle of the torches. 

5.only milk nothing else till adult.

6.Females only and only go for alphas if prepared. for normal females it's always five milk. alphas have 50.

7.the total time is 3days 20hours 35 minutes and 32 seconds if on offical settings. 

8.I would go for lightning if you want a dps one. fire for death worm hunting(though lightning works too) poison if you are doing pvp(it can one shot a rider off or at least stun them) Ice is more pvp or for just a general use its breath is good for slowing down stuff but otherwise is beat by fire and lightning. 

EDIT: This is milk info taken from the wiki: 

The babies cannot be fed Raw Meat.png Raw Meat like any other carnivore; however, their food drops a lot slower. They require Wyvern Milk (Scorched Earth).png Wyvern Milk to increase their food and may ask for it when imprinting. Wyvern milk gives 1200 food to the baby Wyvern. The Wyvern Milk is obtained by knocking out a female Wyvern or Killing an Alpha and removing it from their inventory. After one hour a wyvern will regenerate 5 milk.

A growing baby Wyvern will consume approximately 1 unit of food every 10 seconds, or 360 units of food an hour. This means that one feeding of Wyvern Milk (Scorched Earth).png Wyvern Milk will sustain a baby Wyvern for a little more than 3 hours.

An important detail about newly hatched Wyverns (especially at lower levels) is that even though the maximum food stated in the creature's statistics might be several thousand, the maximum food the baby can actually hold might be less than 1200 (the amount of food one Wyvern Milk (Scorched Earth).png Wyvern Milk delivers). This means that lower level baby Wyverns will never eat milk on their own, and will have to be force fed Wyvern Milk (Scorched Earth).png Wyvern Milk until they can actually hold more than 1200 food.

Total Maturat

Disagree with a lot of the above for a couple reasons.

Griffin is what you want to use, first its tanky enough to take many hits, even a level 50 griffin leveled up is better than anything else. Ptera's die to fast, especially from lightning wyverns and argies cannot outrun them long enough to make a difference. What you do is lead the wyvern's away or steal an egg, go straight up in the air, literally straight up, having them follow you all the way, then go straight into a dive (1k stam is ideal for this situation), you'll put the aggro'd wyvern's out of render in about 5 seconds flat and they'll stop chasing you or despawn so you get a clean get away.

They will aggro if in render the moment you steal the egg, regardless of whether they have line of sight, the AI on wyvern's on rag seems to be more aggressive than it ever was in SE.

Wild animals will easily distract it, on ragnarok the wyvern's seem to have a "memory" whereas on SE you could fly and they would eventually give up, especially if you left render, on rag they will re-aggro if you re-enter render. best bet is using the dive method above

lots, 10-15 easily surrounding it, probably more at night

ONLY milk, nothing else, milk is what it eats and milk is what it imprints with

level does not affect milk output at all just costs more narc arrows to knock the wyvern out to milk it. only females have milk, 5 per female, or 50 per alpha (gender doesn't matter on alpha's). lead it into the trap, ideally with an exit big enough for your flier, not big enough for the wyvern

wyvern's are stupid easy, I usually raise 4-5 at a time due to making the milk runs worth it (recommended), once hatched they typically don't need to be fed (the higher level ones) til their first imprint, about comparable to rex time though, without the hassle

Lightning, by far and away. Poison, fire and ice attacks only have the initial breath hit scale with melee, the after effects are a set tick

Lightning scales its entire attack with melee. each have their niche though.

(My experience is a private Ragnarok server with boosted rates, so take it or leave it :) )

1. Ptera - I feel safe out running/losing Fire, Ice and Poison. Lightening is the devil. You might want to start breeding them because you'll likely lose a few. I agree with above poster that Griffin would be good too, but I love mine too much to risk it. Pteras are easy to come by.

2. I've seen both. Sometimes I grab an egg and no aggro, no wyversn. Sometimes it seems to spawn 1-3 to try and eat you.

3. Get them stuck on a trap (youtube it), environment, or on other dinos. They don't seem interested in aggressive dinos. I always look for things like mammoth, rhino, trike, ptera, bronto, etc.

4. Sorry, don't know about this... I've only used S+ AC units and a couple-to-four seem to be plenty

5. Milk until fully grown

6. You have to trap and knock out a female wyvern to get 5 milk, or kill an alpha for 50. The trapped Wyvern and be re-harvested if someone stays in render, maybe takes an hour to replenish. Also, depending on level, watch out, some don't stay knocked out for long.

7. Don't know on official, sorry

8. I think Lightening is best all around because of DPS. Also like Ice for slowing effect. Fire next and Poison last. I think Poison can be very strong, but it can be hard to aim its bolt and you can gas yourself (you'll die if not careful).

Good luck!

i very much appreciate the responses. so i should use either a griffin or a ptera to obtain a wyvern...which one tho? taming a griffin is difficult to do on normal rates. not difficult as in hard to trap or hard to tranq, but extremely long tame times and the inefficient prime meat gathering rates my sabertooth has will force me to be hunting the entire time i'm taming, which would be 3.5 hours and 800 narcotics for max level. and even if i get one, the efficiency would only be 47% and i definitely don't have the base to tame allos and get kibble (alphas are horrid and will kill all visible tames)

so i assume my best bet is to get a ptera? from what i've gathered, the argent is useless for wyvern taming.

There was a YouTube video of some dude showing how it was possible to egg hunt with ANY of the fliers, post nerf. However, he obviously had resources (able to build multiple traps) and he also knew what he was doing. Having said that, I'd still stick by my original suggestion on using Pteras. Fairly easy to tame, lots of them available and you can breed them to be plenty 'good enough'.

My breeding stock of Pteras names were Wyvern-Fodder1, Wyvern-Fodder2, etc. etc. etc. I went through quite a few but now have a couple who have survived a long time and of course I've got a lot better at escaping :)

Good luck!

Archived