Dino Level Cap, destroyed my Love for breeding.

Apc7th

Before i hunted dinosaurs for any stat that will improve my dinosaurs total level. I would get happy seeing more Oxygen or any stat that i can breed into my blood lines.

But now my tribe does not want to waste time breeding any dinosaurs unless that have better Health only for plant eaters,  and Damage for meat eaters.

I got to say,  My love for breeding is crushed now.  it was such a fun part of End game for me.  Please Wild Card.   Reconsider this cap.    i don't like breeding just for HP and Dmg.

35 minutes ago, Apc7th said:

Before i hunted dinosaurs for any stat that will improve my dinosaurs total level. I would get happy seeing more Oxygen or any stat that i can breed into my blood lines.

But now my tribe does not want to waste time breeding any dinosaurs unless that have better Health only for plant eaters,  and Damage for meat eaters.

I got to say,  My love for breeding is crushed now.  it was such a fun part of End game for me.  Please Wild Card.   Reconsider this cap.    i don't like breeding just for HP and Dmg.

+1 now im forced to only breed for hp and dmg on my rex line while also breeding in the rex with the least amount of wasted points in speed.

I understand where you're coming from. Part of me felt the same way at first, but after rethinking it, I like the level cap. With the level cap in place you're forced to be more strategic with the stats you breed in, certain dinos you will want certain stats over other and you can create specific builds with breeds.

Before it was a simple straight line, breed every high stat into one dino, now you want to consider if its worth breeding that super high food stat in (on pvp that may be useful for raids, more time inbetween eating). Now you also have to consider breeding stats out to make room for other high stats you've acquired. 

Like I said, at first I was reluctant, and honestly can see how its ruined the end game for most pve players, once you hit the end of pve theres nothing really left to do but breed, but I came around after I looked at it with a different perspective. 

Okay I apparently missed something while I was gone from playing ark. Only Dino caps I know are

Lvl gains after tame. Which to my knowledge went up twice from original.

Amount of tames you can have, which used to be like 120-150ish something like that on Xbox. Now it's at 500.

Is it the 450 Dino level cap that was introduced as I left ark? If it is 450 that's a awful lot of levels and breeding to even get close to that number. I bred alot of boss Rex's but I never seen any starting over lvl 300. 

Not arguing here remember please, just trying to understand what's going on as I plan to breed again. Thanks guys!

Just now, anubis3691 said:

Okay I apparently missed something while I was gone from playing ark. Only Dino caps I know are

Lvl gains after tame. Which to my knowledge went up twice from original.

Amount of tames you can have, which used to be like 120-150ish something like that on Xbox. Now it's at 500.

Is it the 450 Dino level cap that was introduced as I left ark? If it is 450 that's a awful lot of levels and breeding to even get close to that number. I bred alot of boss Rex's but I never seen any starting over lvl 300. 

Not arguing here remember please, just trying to understand what's going on as I plan to breed again. Thanks guys!

They're referring to the lvl 450 cap on dinos

4 minutes ago, DeZiLL313 said:

They're referring to the lvl 450 cap on dinos

People actually had dinos over 450?  On my max wild 150 server the best I ever saw was 51 points in a single stat.  7 stats at 51 points is only 357, +71 levels is only 428...I'm actually really impressed and sad I didn't see higher numbers with all the time I spent tracking argies.

There was a tribe on our server that did nothing but breed. They disnt even need to mine anything anymore, just trade mutations and high level dinos for stuff, on our server and cross server. They quit not long after the cap was introduced. They had babies popping out with 400+ leveps and I guess they got bored not being able to continue upping that number. 

I can see where they're coming from and people like them, but tbh after a year of doing nothing by meat and berry runs, hand-feeding, and repeating (they literally did nothing else) im suprised they didnt get bored before the level cap was put in place. 

5 minutes ago, BeardO said:

People actually had dinos over 450?  On my max wild 150 server the best I ever saw was 51 points in a single stat.  7 stats at 51 points is only 357, +71 levels is only 428...I'm actually really impressed and sad I didn't see higher numbers with all the time I spent tracking argies.

Also gotta consider mutations my friend :)

Its all rng, its very unlikely for stats to roll such high numbers, but possible. Then the dinos offspring get traded on the fb groups or the forums and sooner or later everyone has the dino with unusually high points in stats.

Some of these dinos were glitches tho, like the god tier Thylos that came from knocking babies out and taming them.

1 hour ago, DeZiLL313 said:

Also gotta consider mutations my friend

Its all rng, its very unlikely for stats to roll such high numbers, but possible. Then the dinos offspring get traded on the fb groups or the forums and sooner or later everyone has the dino with unusually high points in stats.

Some of these dinos were glitches tho, like the god tier Thylos that came from knocking babies out and taming them.

Ahhh yeah mutations, didn’t factor that in at all.

'Normally' it would be quite a feet to breed up lines that are in danger of hitting the level cap. But people have been breeding in Ark for like a year and a half now, maybe two. So it's not unthinkable that some people are getting close to or hitting the cap legit.

But once again, blame the cheaters...or the careless mods from WC who left their cheated in dino's on a server and the players got a hold of them, thus forcing WC to take the knee-jerk route and put a cap on levels.

Regardless, imo, the cap is high enough for me to not get too worried, and the more selective breeding I got to do now is a neat challenge. Actually makes you want to tame a super low level creature so you can pull in it's terrible point count in oxygen to free up space for the other stats you want. It'll be harder and more rewarding when you finally breed up a line that has even MORE wicked good stats in the place that matters with low points in the stats that don't. It might be harder, but at least this way you can actually trump someone else's super high level dino with a dino that can totally kick it's butt in melee if done right. Can't look at levels no more. Stats are what matter.

@Ulta So I'm curious. You say "Can't look at levels no more. Stats are what matter". Are you strictly speaking for weaving in those lower, undesirable stats? I'm kind of new to breeding and figured that even if you found a low level dino with a high roll in a desirable stat, you were still better off finding a high level with a comparable roll - if that makes sense?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Ulta said:

'Normally' it would be quite a feet to breed up lines that are in danger of hitting the level cap. But people have been breeding in Ark for like a year and a half now, maybe two. So it's not unthinkable that some people are getting close to or hitting the cap legit.

But once again, blame the cheaters...or the careless mods from WC who left their cheated in dino's on a server and the players got a hold of them, thus forcing WC to take the knee-jerk route and put a cap on levels.

Regardless, imo, the cap is high enough for me to not get too worried, and the more selective breeding I got to do now is a neat challenge. Actually makes you want to tame a super low level creature so you can pull in it's terrible point count in oxygen to free up space for the other stats you want. It'll be harder and more rewarding when you finally breed up a line that has even MORE wicked good stats in the place that matters with low points in the stats that don't. It might be harder, but at least this way you can actually trump someone else's super high level dino with a dino that can totally kick it's butt in melee if done right. Can't look at levels no more. Stats are what matter.

That's actually a really good idea.  No need for food (unless Daedon), oxy or speed so why bother wasting points in them that count towards the cap.

7 minutes ago, teamravegreen said:

@Ulta So I'm curious. You say "Can't look at levels no more. Stats are what matter". Are you strictly speaking for weaving in those lower, undesirable stats? I'm kind of new to breeding and figured that even if you found a low level dino with a high roll in a desirable stat, you were still better off finding a high level with a comparable roll - if that makes sense?

Thanks

Something like taking a high level in what you want and breeding it with low level what you don't want.  Say you have a rex with 50 points in everything, you have a level 350.  Breed it with like a level 10 rex until you get the offspring male and female that ends up with 50 points in Health, Melee, Weight and stam and say 5 points in Ox, Food and Speed.  You'd end up with a rex that was level 215, but just as powerful as the 350 and would leave you with more room for mutations.  It would take a bit to get it perfect like that, but it would be pretty damn sweet.

Thanks!

Like I mentioned I'm relatively new to breeding, but have tamed quite a few and the highest pre and post tame stats I've seen is somewhere around 30 and 43 respectfully. Are people seeing closer to 50 post tame? Or is that after mutations? Is there an actual max or is it just all RNG? Sorry, so many noob questions!

13 minutes ago, teamravegreen said:

Thanks

@BeardOexplained it pretty well in the post above.

You still need ot tame high level creatures, for those golden ones with a ton of starting points in stats you want. But the low level animals might have the low point count for stats you don't want.

2 minutes ago, BeardO said:

Something like taking a high level in what you want and breeding it with low level what you don't want.  Say you have a rex with 50 points in everything, you have a level 350.  Breed it with like a level 10 rex until you get the offspring male and female that ends up with 50 points in Health, Melee, Weight and stam and say 5 points in Ox, Food and Speed.  You'd end up with a rex that was level 215, but just as powerful as the 250 and would leave you with more room for mutations.  It would take a bit to get it perfect like that, but it would be pretty damn sweet.

Good example of this just happened to me this last weekend. P tamed a F spino. Lvl 224. Tamed a 120 that got downed in swamp so to alot of needless hits from swamp Dino's prime meat tamed 149. Bred them. Baby. Lvl 180. Sounds bad right? Nope. Got it's health weight and melee from Mom, stamina food and oxy from Dad. Boom 180 spino that can kill and tank just as good as a 224. Base stats were 4900 HP, 5** weight, and 343 melee. Not bad I must say. (Altho the lower stamina on the 180 means you won't be winning any races lol)

1 minute ago, teamravegreen said:

Thanks!

Like I mentioned I'm relatively new to breeding, but have tamed quite a few and the highest pre and post tame stats I've seen is somewhere around 30 and 43 respectfully. Are people seeing closer to 50 post tame? Or is that after mutations? Is there an actual max or is it just all RNG? Sorry, so many noob questions!

It's all RNG. Mutations only happen during breeding, not during taming. It's not unheard of to find a dino who got 50 points into a stat, albeit rare.

14 minutes ago, Lexi said:

I'm unclear about the 450 levels.

If a baby is born at 449, does that me it can only be leveled one time.

I haven't see a dev post about them "poof"ing, is that just a guess?

I've not tested it myself, but I can probably do that soon-ish for you to be sure. But many people have been saying that any dino above 450 will disappear after a server restart. It's Wc's way of keeping OP dino's out of the mix that were hacked in or...something.

So yeah, if you hatched a lvl 449 baby, it can only be leveled once. So the goal is at max to hatch babies at level 379. Realistically, it would take a VERY long time to hatch a dino at level 449 though, at least on officials. I don't know if this level cap pertains to unofficial servers since those can have some crazy Difficulty settings.

But my guess is it's for officials only to keep things 'balanced' there.

7 minutes ago, Ezire said:

It can be levelled up as many times as you can until the next server reset and then it goes poof when the server loads. Which means in practical terms, if you want to keep that dino you can never level it at all. Its not a guess, we had dino's die to this.

Do you play official or unofficial? Just curious.

3 hours ago, Apc7th said:

Do you realistically expect to breed dinosaurs to hatch at 379 though? And expect to get there by solely focusing on just two stats? 
Forget your tribe, do what you want with your own lineage.

Archived