shileka

Bear in mind it's single player PS4 so my options are a bit limited

Atm i have structure resistance maxed and dino damaged minimized, player resistance scaled down to match dino damage as fairly as i could get it, a lvl 1 leeds still chunks roughly 10% of my wooden raft (i'm hoping the motorboat i'm farming for fares better) my current leeds strategy is "playersonly" "destroymytarget" "playersonly" but i'd rather just disable their spawning or something, ideally i'd like to be able to build/fabricate/cook something to keep them off my ship, like a bucket of leeds bait in can drop (preferably while driving) to get them off me

Because seriously that f***ing fish is anoying and ruins ocean nomad playstyle on pvp/pve servers

1 minute ago, paulpot said:

Big discussion about it on that topic. My tribe isn't playing at the moment because of it. Jat said he's looking in to it. There is also a lot of people on here that love the Leeds because it doesn't effect their particular play style.

I think leeds is a good thing, no base should be 100% safe

Build on a pillar? You can fall off, but you can craft a parachute

Build in the jungle? Might wake up to a rex near your door, but thats what a turret is for

Build on a raft? Leeds will boatrape you, can try to run, but it even goes for the shallows!

Atm leeds is too opressive, it deservese to be in game to ballance boating, but we have little to no defence, a tribe can have memberd manning turrets to drive it off, solo you'll either invest in allways-on autoturret and drain all your metal and gunpowder, or stop sailing

I hate boats. Boats are weak. This is what I used to think. Then they added leeds and people still use boats as bases. Sorta like watching someone break their fingers one at a time each time going " oh I can't believe that happened".make your base on land and use boats as material storage on the coast. Leeds don't have that much more hp than sharks so I just kill them with a griffin or a pike. But to the discerning animal lover the thought of injuring one of these majestic beasts is unimaginable. Idk what to do in your situation. (Try honey)

I believe the leeds don't actually go to the shallow waters, their range is pretty much like a shark's if your boat is a few 1-3 foundations from the shore, or in shallow water of about 1 wall high, they won't follow you and lose interest, though they remain close by in passive mode, like a normal animal would while chasing its prey.

I've always played with my own personal build of a Boat-base never had to many problems with them, the only exception was when i was on the island and sailed to the herbivore island - short story: I didn't pay attention to my surroundings.

I don't see them has a problem only has a nuisance, since i have to repair or rebuild my base-boat defenses.

Here's what i do to "deal" with them: I think it will be so logic, someone will face-palm himself.

1- DON'T GO TO OPEN WATERS. Always remain in shallow water or near the coast, specially in beaches. The rivers are safe and they won't go in, unless it has depth for them to swim and also to remain aggressive. If you don't have any other options glitch the boat into the ground, for example: into and inside a cliff,  and hope the leed lose its aggressive nature and moves away to give you a little time between you 2.

2- PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS 'K-orbital mode, anyone?'. If you actually pay enough attention, you might be able to sail and avoid them without them even noticing your boat. 

3- EXPECT THE WORSE. Always make sure that you can escape them in time.
For example, I WON'T RECOMMEND in the center map moving from island to island (directly) sometimes you won't see them at the surface, or near the shore, or at all! Though when you are sailing in the middle of the ocean, they will definitely and certainly appear and wreck you if you get into that situation, i'm sorry there is nothing you can do but have faith that the leed misses your boat a few times before reaching shallow waters, if you have buildings in the boat you can make a funeral for the pieces and move on with it.

Essentially move from shallow water to shallow water, and you might caught by surprise a leed trying to get to you, then do what you must do. Either escape it or kill it your choice.

4- ALWAYS BE PREPARED. resuming, honey does work on them they'll get distracted for a few minutes, though it isn't really effective only gives a chance to get away to shallow water. Have enough materials with you to repair the boat when it needs (I have lost boats because of this annoyance), I usually have a balista on my boat to kill them, its a personal choice and its also fun to be honest. 

My own experience is in a PVE-singleplayer environment, in PVP I reckon it will be much more challenging and annoying. 
In the end, if you have trouble moving in the waters of Ark and instead of learning you complain, just stick to a solid-ground base. Let's be honest it's less of an ass and much more safe.

Be it in PVE or PVP if someone, or, something destroys your boat, everything is gone. 
With a ground-base, you can make them make a run for their own time and patience.

This doesn't mean you can't have both! On my end, having the dual base typing (a mobile one and a solid one) is much more advantageous than having a single base, no matter how solid or mobile it is.

Yup.  Honey works. We were running a boat on the Ragnarok map and took honey and repair supplies with us.  We got attacked by Leeds in places where there was no convenient shallow water to escape to but were able to distract it with honey.  It also seemed to drive off after we shot at it a few times before we decided on the honey trick.  Don't know if that was a fluke or not.

I have also seen a video by OneWing where he used plant species X on the back of the boat and it gave the Leeds knock back effect that helped in escaping the Leeds. It might give you enough time to repair and get away.  

I was disappointed when the Devs introduced the Leeds to the game.  Boats are one of my favorite things.  Before honey was introduced, it seemed that we had no way to escape them.  We have a Nitrado server now and with it, even on the PS4, we can eliminate the Leeds from the game if we want to.  I haven't done it yet.  I actually find them an interesting challenge.  Though I respect people who do not feel that way.  They can be quite frustrating if you use the boat as a second home and have spent a lot of time building it.   

If you prefer to play without them, you can do the admin command destroyall and then the creature ID for Leeds to get rid of them.  We did that for rock golems in our Scorched Earth game before we got the Server.  You'll want to keep it up and ready because it only seems to destroy all within the render distance on a single player game. But you can have it handy if you get attacked.  Yes, it's a cheat, but if you really would prefer to eliminate Leeds from the game, on native console without a private PC server, that is your only option right now.

Good Luck!

Regular leeds aren't a big problem as you should be able to survive a few hits and have time to react, alphas on the other hand will wreck your raft before you know what's hit you, in single player you should be OK if you keep to the shallows, if you need to cross deep water to an island then have a look underwater first if you're not sure but I've never really had any problems going to herbivore or dead islands once I've learned where's safe-ish to cross, online is another matter though as I've lost more than one raft just going around water pens or bases that've been built out into deep water. 

Archived