Will clusters merge down the road, or Legacy die off?

Sphere

Because eventually we will see the inevitable completion of both clusters being pretty much the same mess.

Either we close the legacy servers and then open new servers on the cluster, which is yay for new players, or keep the legacy servers and merge them with the main cluster, which is still yay for new players, because they are not as packed as the official new.

So what do you think?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Sphere said:

Because eventually we will see the inevitable completion of both clusters being pretty much the same mess.

Either we close the legacy servers and then open new servers on the cluster, which is yay for new players, or keep the legacy servers and merge them with the main cluster, which is still yay for new players, because they are not as packed as the official new.

So what do you think?

No. Legacy servers will never be in the new cluster. It was either wipe all, or keep them separated due to duping, bug exploits, etc. from the early access stage of the game. They first was going to wipe all servers and changed their mind overnight. More info: http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

The server coding is different, from what I understand... making it likely they will never merge. I let my legacy cluster go when Jat tweeted that.

Well, this is now the same on both cluster. The coding they refer to is the "upload timer" to prevent duping due to server rollbacks. Anyways, on my side, I'm still feeding and resetting timers waiting for my island server to close so I can host it myself. I'm sure done playing on officials, won't even bother starting fresh on new cluster, officials are garbage.

There is about 5 players including myself still logging in and playing on our Xbox EU Primitive Legacy Server 39, im in the same boat as a solo player i worked hard to build the base and collect the dinos i own and do not want to do that all over again on a new server. Around 90% of our server is back to its original empty state with lush forests and jungles loads of dinos and tons of resources all over. So it would be a perfect server to merge in for new players.

4 hours ago, Sphere said:

So what do you think?

The intent of the people of Wildcard is to suffocate their legacy...servers. It's also entirely possible that a month or two after the third, and possibly last, DLC is released next year that they shut down all official servers since there will be no more money to squeeze out of us.

5 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

The intent of the people of Wildcard is to suffocate their legacy...servers. It's also entirely possible that a month or two after the third, and possibly last, DLC is released next year that they shut down all official servers since there will be no more money to squeeze out of us.

That's a very interesting (if totally baseless) theory you've cooked up.  Perhaps you could flesh it out a bit and give us the quotes that you based this on, or at the very least give us a plausible theory as to why the company responsible for one of the most popular (and profitable) games on Steam would suddenly stop creating the comparatively simple (and even more profitable) DLC for said game.

16 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

That's a very interesting (if totally baseless) theory you've cooked up.  Perhaps you could flesh it out a bit and give us the quotes that you based this on, or at the very least give us a plausible theory as to why the company responsible for one of the most popular (and profitable) games on Steam would suddenly stop creating the comparatively simple (and even more profitable) DLC for said game.

Lol... Rekt!

43 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Okay. Let me just go through the forums and link ya the threads of a number of incidents of backstabbings that the people of Wildcard have supplied their players. I'll need a bit of time.

And like I said in my post it's a possibility. I never said it'd happen since I can't predict the future. Can you or HalfSlabBacon?

Anyhoo, I'll be back with some links.

edit: Oops. Almost forgot...

" would suddenly stop creating the comparatively simple (and even more profitable) DLC for said game."

The same reason other companies do the exact same thing. Although I'm sure it's easy enough to think of those reasons without googling. And like I also said, it's merely a possibility that the third one would be the last one.

Now off I go.

6 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

Okay. Let me just go through the forums and link ya the threads of a number of incidents of backstabbings that the people of Wildcard have supplied their players. I'll need a bit of time.

And like I said in my post it's a possibility. I never said it'd happen since I can't predict the future. Can you or HalfSlabBacon?

Anyhoo, I'll be back with some links.

Neither of us can or need to predict the future. Common sense dictates as long as the DLC's make money, WC will keep making them. The Acension story line clearly opened things up for many, many Arks.

I do agree that they are actively trying to kill legacy though... Pulling support made that very clear.

56 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

Let me save you some time.  Quoting instances where "back stabbings" have occurred as you put it doesn't apply as proof of your assertions.  WC has never promised to do future DLC beyond the season pass, so if they decide not to for whatever reason how could that possibly be construed as "back stabbing" or breaking their word in any way.  Great attempt to steer the narrative back into something negative though, it's just a little too obvious that it doesn't really support (or even relate to)the theory you tried to make sound plausible.

The next time you decide to make drama up entirely out of whole cloth be prepared to back it up with something that actually has some bearing on the subject.

Speaking of the subject, unless or until Vrallox has something relevant to add, lets steer this thread back to the topic at hand.

32 minutes ago, ranger1presents said:

Let me save you some time.  Quoting instances where "back stabbings" have occurred as you put it doesn't apply as proof of your assertions.  WC has never promised to do future DLC beyond the season pass, so if they decide not to for whatever reason how could that possibly be construed as "back stabbing" or breaking their word in any way.  Great attempt to steer the narrative back into something negative though, it's just a little too obvious that it doesn't really support (or even relate to)the theory you tried to make sound plausible.

The next time you decide to make drama up entirely out of whole cloth be prepared to back it up with something that actually has some bearing on the subject.

Who said I cared if they kept making DLCs? The back stabbings were going to be evidence of the shutdown of all official servers almost immediately after the last DLC. So there was absolutely no attempt to steer the narrative anywhere else but on this topic we're discussing. Whether or not it supports the possibility I mentioned therefore has no bearing whatsoever. I also agree, that certainly would be drama entirely made up of whole cloth. Fortunately that wasn't the point of my post.

Here's the followup I was working on anyway. I have to also agree with you about dragging all those threads up and then writing about each one though. It would've been a pain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Neither of us can or need to predict the future. Common sense dictates as long as the DLC's make money, WC will keep making them. The Acension story line clearly opened things up for many, many Arks.

I do agree that they are actively trying to kill legacy though... Pulling support made that very clear.

I kind of bit off more than I can chew. I thought up the links I'd have to include and realized I'd basically need to write a dissertation. This thread alone requires quite a bit of analysis:

I'm just going to suggest ranger1presents read the forums more if he actually thinks it's a baseless idea. Paying attention to what the higher ups at the company say and then actually do is also a good idea.

As for common sense, I'd say it doesn't have much to do with what we're talking about. You and I are in agreement that the legacy servers are on the chopping block. I'd say the only question is when. Jeremy Stieglitz admitted it'd cost quite a bit more money to keep the legacy servers around but changed his mind yet again about wiping them. The servers are now still active but it's painfully obvious they're putting the squeeze on any who play on them.

Why would a company keep up legacy servers that they clearly don't want, especially when it's costing them money, while at the same time going out of their way to make using them as unpleasant to play on as possible? They are doing the exact opposite of what ranger1presents' suggested. Instead of maximizing profits they are keeping these servers running and seemingly making them uncomfortable out of spite. That coupled with a particular old article featuring Jeremy Stieglitz, which I'd be happy to provide the link to upon request, seems to paint a picture of a company more than happy to ignore future profits just to do something of a questionable nature.

Here's a question, from this article "http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolveds-design-lead-on-huge-server-wipe-reversal-and-new-structure-post-pc-launch/," addressed to and answered by Jeremy Stieglitz. Again, most people seem to be certain of a wipe of legacy servers in the future and yet:

"While I appreciate nothing is 100 percent certain and nothing can be guaranteed, given a server wipe was considered this time—can you reassure players that this won't happen down the line? What guarantees can you give players at this stage?"

"So long as I'm at the company, I'll do everything I can to prevent that from happening. It's hard to predict, for example, will Wildcard always be around?"

Certainly odd to say that and, as so many of us expect, plan to do the opposite. Especially with such a moneysink. Makes one think they'd be capable of other decisions which ignore the loss of revenue. :D

Leaving aside the obvious conflation between the point that you feel you can defend (WC official server issues) and the actual assertion you made in your previous post that I was calling into question (no more DLC after the 3rd), there also isn't a thing in the posts you linked that remotely indicates that they will "shut down all official servers" as you are so fond of predicting.

Nothing, nada... except your belief that this will come to pass.  You can repeat it as often as you like, that still doesn't provide anything credible to back it up.

And I am going to remind you one final time, the topic is "will WC end up closing Legacy servers entirely while opening up more new ones, or will they eventually just merge old and new."

Just now, ranger1presents said:

Leaving aside the obvious conflation between the point that you feel you can defend (WC official server issues) and the actual assertion you made in your previous post that I was calling into question (no more DLC after the 3rd), there also isn't a thing in the posts you linked that remotely indicates that they will "shut down all official servers" as you are so fond of predicting.

Nothing, nada... except your belief that this will come to pass.  You can repeat it as often as you like, that still doesn't provide anything credible to back it up.

And I am going to remind you one final time, the topic is "will WC end up closing Legacy servers entirely while opening up more new ones, or will they eventually just merge old and new."

My original post was in direct answer to the topic. Let me simplify it so that it's as clear as I can make it:

Will clusters merge down the road, or Legacy die off?

There is the POSSIBILITY that after the third, and POSSIBLY last, DLC that instead of merging the clusters they will let legacy die off as well as the other official servers.

Perfectly on point and on topic as have been all my posts in this thread since it concerns the "dying off" of legacy servers. And while nothing indicates they will shut down all official servers. There are plenty of indicators of the POSSIBILITY of them closing all official servers.

I can kind of feel the heat rising in this thread so let's throw some water on it. That post was merely me entertaining a thought. A thought that has some roots but nothing substantial enough to support a tree as far as I know. So it's a possibility but nothing more.

Here's a kitty for you and a virtual hug from me.

:Jerblove:

You moderators are all right so I don't like the idea of me upsetting you.

2 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

They obviously plan on suffocating the legacy servers. No support and only 5 Xbox PVE Ragnarok servers even though they are all at their dino cap (Jen tweeted there will be no more). No more Griffins for any legacy players ever again. All the lies. Legacy servers are ghost towns because none of us trust WC to keep their promises about anything anymore. Ragnarok servers are full because people believe those are the only servers that may not be wiped when the new DLC comes out.

I am in the top 1% of hours played on this game on xbox and I left legacy servers because I truly believe it was their plan all along to get rid of our servers, but they were just too chicken to let us know directly. Surely as a mod you can see the writing on the wall.

While everything Vrallox says about the future is conjecture, it is steeped in the previous actions of Wildcard and how closely they adhere to their own truth. No one knows what the future will hold, but we can speculate. Wildcard announced they were making 3 more DLCs. If we assume based on the only knowledge we have so far from what Wildcard has said that these will be the only 3 DLCs, what financial incentive is there to keep officials running? I think this was ultimately the point Vrallox was trying to make. If Wildcard decides to do more DLCs after the originally planned 3 then I could see them keeping legacies open, assuming they haven't already squeezed all the life out of them by that point. 

8 minutes ago, Ocicat said:

While everything Vrallox says about the future is conjecture, it is steeped in the previous actions of Wildcard and how closely they adhere to their own truth. No one knows what the future will hold, but we can speculate. Wildcard announced they were making 3 more DLCs. If we assume based on the only knowledge we have so far from what Wildcard has said that these will be the only 3 DLCs, what financial incentive is there to keep officials running? I think this was ultimately the point Vrallox was trying to make. If Wildcard decides to do more DLCs after the originally planned 3 then I could see them keeping legacies open, assuming they haven't already squeezed all the life out of them by that point. 

That was spot on. I was merely looking at one possible shape of what's to come. While there are indicators of what it will look like it's much too fluid to know for certain what the final form will be.

How will legacy die? I have no bets made at this time but I am looking at all possibilities. Even if just for my own amusement.

And as previous posters have made clear I did a poor job of putting that to words so I will apologize for that. I am sorry. :)

New server clusters and legacy servers will never be merged, WC has them separated for a reason. Bugged dinos and items from years of testing and duped items and dinos that shouldn't be there. I don't even know why this should be discussed.

I believe legacy will eventually be abandoned as time goes. Low pop legacy servers will still be wiped every 3 months forcing players to move, some to move again.

Legacy is like a grasshopper that you've pulled the head off of. It keeps jumping around because it doesn't know it's dead yet. 

Legacy died when they killed all customer support for it, opened up only a handful of servers, and will be further clarified when they shut down more and more legacy due to underpopulation. 

I love how everyone in this thread is psychic. Everyone here sees the future.

The reality is no one but Wildcard knows what will happen with Legacy, and even they most likely don't know. 

My two legacy servers are still going. My island server is dwindling, but there are still a few active players hangin' in there.

My Rag server is poppin'. 

The delusion that you have customer support anywhere in this game is just that; a delusion. 

There are tickets that are already weeks, if not a month or more, old on the new cluster that have gone unanswered.

And they'll continue to go unanswered just as they did during early access... because Wildcard customer support is a joke. And, just like all jokes, it gets old after hearing it over and over again. 

Customer support isn't the reason everyone switched to the new cluster. The way Wildcard handled the launch is why everyone fled, just as they knew the players would, after flat out, bold-faced lying to its community, and throwing around the delete button on servers never listed. After flat out, bold-faced lying about not closing or wiping a single server during early access no one that left trusted them afterwards.

I don't trust them.

Neither should you.

But I will continue to play on the two servers that I, my wife, and the friends that I have made on those servers, have invested thousands of hours on, until the day they decide to close us down for good. The new servers will still be there if I decide to move. 

Legacy servers aren't grasshoppers. They're family members of Wildcard stuck in a coma at a hospital with Wildcard breathing down their necks. They're just waiting to pull the plug... even if we don't consent. 

Archived