how does console compare to pc version?

Soapstone

As far as content goes as I understand it the console version is generally up to date or a single patch or two behind the pc version. The consoles of course can barely push the game engine around and as such suffer from lower tame and server structure limits.

Honestly it's nearly 2018. Steambox, NVIDIA shield, Xbox,playstation... They are all just small PCs with options regarding what hardware is inside.

You can configure controllers fully with the correct software. Modern PCs OS have been dumbed down that far that even the lowest common denominator can install software and run programs.

I used to love my consoles as a kid I enjoyed them a lot.

Then I bought my first PC.

Lol I have owned one since Dos mate :)

I get some people like to just be able to press X and that's all they have to do but there are prices you pay for that.

One of the major ones is playing a bastardized version of games instead of the full version. Take ark for instance, hugely reduced limits on what you see onscreen and what you can tame/build etc.

If playing a cut-down version is fine by you then more power to you but the tribe tame limits etc drive me up the wall on PC I don't know how console users put up with even more reduced limits.

This conversation reminds me of a day I had played a good session on oblivion back in the day, I took a break and made a snack and sat on the couch and watched my brother and his friend playing a game on PS3. After watching for a bit I asked what game they were playing. It was oblivion lol.... I had been starring at the same title on PC for the previous couple hours and it was virtually unrecognisable on the console....

The only major difference currently is structure limit and an inability to customize graphical settings. Tame limits are equal currently, structure limit is slightly over half on console what it is on PC, but the structure limit is still plenty high enough to build massive bases. Graphics settings are a double edged sword. You can't play it at potato and you can't play it at ultra high (until the Xbox One X that is), but at the same time performance is consistent (for Ark anyways) and everyone is rocking the same settings so the field is more even. I watch a lot of Ark videos and unless a PC player is at one end of the graphics scale it is hard to determine PCvConsole purely from graphical quality.

Yer I can't speak for the current limits I don't own a console but I do know the PC version got nerfed pretty badly recently, the current PC tribe limit is 500 I believe?. I know there was quite a disparity originally. Keep in mind there are server hardcaps also.

Consoles are also capped at 30fps arnt they? Or is that only one of them? That would make it IMMEDIATELY obvious what you were looking at if you were watching a video

Anybody who owns both versions able to tell us the current caps on server/tribe tames?

I moved from console (PS4) to PC version a few months back and don't regret it at all (I bought a laptop gaming rig - over £1000 just to be able to play it).  I have a PS4 controller setup to my PC and the control's are nearly the same (I use DS4windows).  Ark on PC is better because updates come out sooner than console and also you can use mods (I have 31 running on my private server I pay for myself).  ALOT of caps on console that aren't on PC version and the PC version is cheaper (tho I bought when still in early access).

From what I understand, Ark on PC is so much easier because you can use a mouse which is more precise when aiming, and you can change graphic settings to lower the quality so much that you can see people's bases just from inside render distance through trees, rocks, etc - and those who don't care, can use aim bots and other 3rd party cheat programs, so I'd rather stick with console.

1 hour ago, Crows said:

From what I understand, Ark on PC is so much easier because you can use a mouse which is more precise when aiming, and you can change graphic settings to lower the quality so much that you can see people's bases just from inside render distance through trees, rocks, etc - and those who don't care, can use aim bots and other 3rd party cheat programs, so I'd rather stick with console.

Never heard of a aim bot for Ark PC.

The difference is night and day you got mods, custom settings to fit your needs mouse and key board, controller.if you have a pc that can play ark then I would play it on pc the best part about it now is if you do have pc that can run it then you'll be able to play with your Xbox friends when we get the game in the windows store.. "when ever that is" lol

I'm a PC player but also bought it on Ps4 Pro to try with some friends. Now it was some months ago now, but it ran like garbage. Low quality and very rough. Control scheme was "ok" but i was already used to playing on PC so it felt weird. I wasn't a fan of the selection wheel and how it felt so clunky.

If you have a PC that can run it I would go for the PC version any day. Still got love for the community who play on consoles though! Ark is Ark. 

PC is supperior across the board almost entirely, traditionally PC patches are ahead of console because both PS4 and xbox one have to go through a length certification process for every patch, to the point that more recent pc patches were staggered to keep the console from falling behind too far (as it stands xbox was still waiting on otter/phoenix last I heard). Steam sales are also much more frequent and with the absurd price hike, hitting one of those sales is the best way to start your ark adventure. Only areas consoles trump PC  Is force feeding (on ps4 just hold down R2 and away it goes), joystick allows for greater freedom of movement speed allowing for more than just walk or full blown sprint, and its marginally harder to cheat on consoles. People still dupe and exploit dispite wildcards ham fisted efforts to the contrary but theres no speedhacks or the like, which IMO makes consoles the better choice for PVPers, but for PVEs PC or bust.

3 hours ago, Dracul said:

PC is supperior across the board almost entirely, traditionally PC patches are ahead of console because both PS4 and xbox one have to go through a length certification process for every patch, to the point that more recent pc patches were staggered to keep the console from falling behind too far (as it stands xbox was still waiting on otter/phoenix last I heard). Steam sales are also much more frequent and with the absurd price hike, hitting one of those sales is the best way to start your ark adventure. Only areas consoles trump PC  Is force feeding (on ps4 just hold down R2 and away it goes), joystick allows for greater freedom of movement speed allowing for more than just walk or full blown sprint, and its marginally harder to cheat on consoles. People still dupe and exploit dispite wildcards ham fisted efforts to the contrary but theres no speedhacks or the like, which IMO makes consoles the better choice for PVPers, but for PVEs PC or bust.

PC is always going to be superior, but only after a point and then it's a sliding scale - how much are you willing to spend on a gaming PC? If it's only a couple of hundred, you might as well play on console because the difference will be negligible at best (and could even be worse). PC patches are indeed ahead, but that's because it was the first platform and was always the test bed - it's quick to deploy patches and fixes to the Steam network most of the time.

Xbox got the latest patch this past weekend after a week or so delay, because there's a "long cert" process with Microsoft now the game is classed as retail. Prior to that it was pretty quick and ahead of the PS4 the majority of the time - now things are somewhat reversed as rentable servers are already out on PS4, with Xbox being delayed yet again and now October being mentioned. PS4 also had the otter/phoenix patch ahead of the Xbox due to Sony's cert process being faster. It's only ever a week or so though generally and there's nothing that comes out that makes a huge difference to your gaming life that you can't wait a week to be honest.

Lack of mods on consoles is another thing to consider (although with Fallout 4 getting them, who knows if that'll change with ARK) - so if you struggle with the flyer nerf for example, you can't fix that on console but can install a mod on PC - I believe you can only play single player or unofficial servers that allow the mod though, so you'll still be "stuck" with an un-modded game on officials just like console.

3 hours ago, TranqRex said:

PC is always going to be superior, but only after a point and then it's a sliding scale - how much are you willing to spend on a gaming PC? If it's only a couple of hundred, you might as well play on console because the difference will be negligible at best (and could even be worse). PC patches are indeed ahead, but that's because it was the first platform and was always the test bed - it's quick to deploy patches and fixes to the Steam network most of the time.

Xbox got the latest patch this past weekend after a week or so delay, because there's a "long cert" process with Microsoft now the game is classed as retail. Prior to that it was pretty quick and ahead of the PS4 the majority of the time - now things are somewhat reversed as rentable servers are already out on PS4, with Xbox being delayed yet again and now October being mentioned. PS4 also had the otter/phoenix patch ahead of the Xbox due to Sony's cert process being faster. It's only ever a week or so though generally and there's nothing that comes out that makes a huge difference to your gaming life that you can't wait a week to be honest.

Lack of mods on consoles is another thing to consider (although with Fallout 4 getting them, who knows if that'll change with ARK) - so if you struggle with the flyer nerf for example, you can't fix that on console but can install a mod on PC - I believe you can only play single player or unofficial servers that allow the mod though, so you'll still be "stuck" with an un-modded game on officials just like console.

Lack of mods is a real issue for SP/unofficial arkers thats for sure, but even a lower (considering) end pc would be favorable to a console simply because the consoles are much more limited inworld to help improve performance: much lower overall spawns, things dont unstasis untill your within like 50 feet of them (causing some alarming 'popin' dino appearance if your the first one in the area). Hell on PS4 around death islands sea cave official iv not seen anything more than a trilobite in a WEEK cause im the only person going down there right now. Structure limit is also more severe and if I recall the tribe dino limit is much stricter on Xbox than pc/ps4, not sure about server wide limits on consoles however.

i have heard the pc version is further along than the console version with content patches and stuff, does anyone know how far behind the console version is? is the control scheme good? i tried using the controller for the pc version, but like a lot of pc games, the controller scheme was kinda not great.
The graphics are bum on console. I don't think that's the case with PS4 pro

Sent from my E6853 using SurviveTheArk Community mobile app

Here is my two cents.

I started Ark on a pc that could barely run med settings. I think it was 460 gtx sli with 960 core i7. Looked like garbage, ran like garbage. It was still unoptimized then.

I bought a PS4 Pro and played it on that. Played with a bunch of my friends. It didnt look amazing, but it ran a steady 30 fps. It was playable. Got used to the wheel and controller. Became really intuitive.

Then I upgraded my pc. 1080ti with 7700k. I can run epic everything if i wanted, but nvidia settings keep me at a steady 90fps semi-epic. The game plays great runs great. Using a mouse and keyboard was a bit odd at first, but im getting the hang of it. But there are so many troll tribes. Every server I join is just a constant whine. Players seem to be too good at times. It just didnt feel as... sociable? Ps4 you have your occasional bad egg where pc its damn near every tribe.

Either is really just as playable as the next. Its takes getting used to. I highly suggest investing in either a ps4 pro or a xbox one x if you get console.

Apart from everything that was mentioned and the obvious lack of performance on consoles , for me one of the biggest issues I have with the console version is the insane update sizes. The package management is dreadful and no compression is implemented on downloads. For Ark the average update on Xbox is anything from 12 to 37gig. On pc the average is around 1 gig or less. The biggest size yet I had to download on pc was a very major 3.2gig update , and that same one on Xbox came in at 40gig. PC is far superior in every way. Not only on performance , but on features such as download sizes as well , which for me where I live with our dreadful internet is very important.

2 hours ago, Wikus said:

Apart from everything that was mentioned and the obvious lack of performance on consoles , for me one of the biggest issues I have with the console version is the insane update sizes. The package management is dreadful and no compression is implemented on downloads. For Ark the average update on Xbox is anything from 12 to 37gig. On pc the average is around 1 gig or less. The biggest size yet I had to download on pc was a very major 3.2gig update , and that same one on Xbox came in at 40gig. PC is far superior in every way. Not only on performance , but on features such as download sizes as well , which for me where I live with our dreadful internet is very important.

On PC you need sometimes over 89GB of free space to install a few GB patch. (No, the game folder doesn't become 89GB bigger.)

I for one hate gaming on pc I am a console kid but as far as performance pc runs better but not enough to worry about and the controller is very easy to use I'm not looking for keys to hit and trying to hit keys while running from something it's all right in your hand. On pc there are so many ways to cheat it's unreal and on console if you cheat they can ban you pc you just login with another name and get right back to cheating

3 hours ago, D3ATHNOT3435 said:

Xbox X specs are actually pretty close to a high end pc now. So console is pushing itself up there and things only get better with research and time. Also ark will be a X compatible game, basically just enhanced.

Does the xbone x come with - 

1, 4 - 18 core usually over 4.0 ghz   - NO

2, 16 - 128 gig ram      - NO

3, 1080 ti - titan or even multiple    - NO

4, NVME ssd     - NO

5, Advanced cooling ie watercooled    -NO

6 Unlimited upgrade ability    - NO

Please don't compare any console to a high end gaming PC as this comparison can never happen. The price point a console is made to will always limit their performance - you cannot get a Ferrari for the cost of a Mini.  :)

I'm a diehard console player, but for specific games (i.e. ARK, Dark and Light, etc) you're better off with PC. This is where games begin their life anyways. Once ported to meet console specs, they do lose a lot. The graphics options are much better with PC as you can freely upgrade them whenever you want. Consoles, good luck... they are what they are. Still love my XB1 and PS4 but go PC. Unless all your friends play on console.

9 hours ago, IbbyPlays said:

The graphics are bum on console. I don't think that's the case with PS4 pro

Sent from my E6853 using SurviveTheArk Community mobile app

I have it on the pro and PC i would say the PSpro is upper mid range settings. It seems some are set it higher some lower.  Render range is pretty bad on console and pop in lag is way worse ten it should be. The meshes look great tho.

On 9/25/2017 at 7:38 PM, Sup3riorArs3nal said:

The only major difference currently is structure limit and an inability to customize graphical settings. Tame limits are equal currently, structure limit is slightly over half on console what it is on PC, but the structure limit is still plenty high enough to build massive bases. Graphics settings are a double edged sword. You can't play it at potato and you can't play it at ultra high (until the Xbox One X that is), but at the same time performance is consistent (for Ark anyways) and everyone is rocking the same settings so the field is more even. I watch a lot of Ark videos and unless a PC player is at one end of the graphics scale it is hard to determine PCvConsole purely from graphical quality.

You can't see the difference? I get headaches every time I watch a console vid from all the screen tearing that happens.

On 9/25/2017 at 7:53 PM, onetwothree said:

Yer I can't speak for the current limits I don't own a console but I do know the PC version got nerfed pretty badly recently, the current PC tribe limit is 500 I believe?. I know there was quite a disparity originally. Keep in mind there are server hardcaps also.

Consoles are also capped at 30fps arnt they? Or is that only one of them? That would make it IMMEDIATELY obvious what you were looking at if you were watching a video

Anybody who owns both versions able to tell us the current caps on server/tribe tames?

It is very obvious, console versions look like crap even compared to a low end PC if the settings are done properly.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:01 PM, KingCrow said:

I'm a PC player but also bought it on Ps4 Pro to try with some friends. Now it was some months ago now, but it ran like garbage. Low quality and very rough. Control scheme was "ok" but i was already used to playing on PC so it felt weird. I wasn't a fan of the selection wheel and how it felt so clunky.

If you have a PC that can run it I would go for the PC version any day. Still got love for the community who play on consoles though! Ark is Ark. 

I can't and won't play a PC game with a controller. The controls are way too slow and clunky. Doing something as simple as switching hot bar items or moving inventory around is a nightmare by comparison.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:45 AM, D3ATHNOT3435 said:

Xbox X specs are actually pretty close to a high end pc now. So console is pushing itself up there and things only get better with research and time. Also ark will be a X compatible game, basically just enhanced.

My keyboard and mouse cost more then a One X... It can't even compete with a low end gaming PC... Don't believe the lies and sales crap Sony and MS tell you.

22 hours ago, th3d0wnfa11 said:

I agree with not comparing High End gaming PC's to a console, however we are getting ever closer to seeing this a thing. I mean the XB1X is extremely close, still has a little way to go...

Extremely close? You can spend over $2000 just on a processor for a PC. High end gaming rigs can cost upwards of $10k.

That's like buying a skateboard and saying it's extremely close to a Bugatti.

Modern consoles are glorified tablets with a cut down version of a low to mid end GPU added in. 

Archived