Obleisk upload timer

HeatherJo

I really believe all that wildcard does all day long is sit around and think of new ways to make people not want to play their game.  They spen little time actually fixing horrifically glaring issues and come up with useless implementations.  Before the release transferring to a new server was difficult enough now there is a new upload timer!!??  I see absolutley zero purpose in this other to screw with people.  I'm just trying to move to a new server and I have to sit at the obelisk for 32 minutes with each new load lol what a joke.   Pointless use of manpower. Fix your game, stop implementing crap features. 

This is especially irritating for those of us who are trying to use a drop that's pretty much pointless now as the drop expires before you even get a chance to upload anything.  

PS4 PVE servers 375-382 are subject to dupers right now. That means with the new timers, the server crashes every 27-33 minutes. The fun part is once the dupe/crash is activated, it takes that long to fully crash the server. Everything works great and then it stops responding and a crash ensues about 2min later. 

So timer uploads were useless. They need to kill cross server transfers. Super limiting, but it's the only chance we have to actually play the damn game. 

1 minute ago, flamron said:

PS4 PVE servers 375-382 are subject to dupers right now. That means with the new timers, the server crashes every 27-33 minutes. The fun part is once the dupe/crash is activated, it takes that long to fully crash the server. Everything works great and then it stops responding and a crash ensues about 2min later. 

So timer uploads were useless. They need to kill cross server transfers. Super limiting, but it's the only chance we have to actually play the damn game. 

Or they could do one of the following.

Force the server to perform as save any time people upload items to the obelisk.

Change the way uploads happen. When you add an item to the obelisk to transfer, it is added to a queue on the server you play on... then once the server performs a save the queue is pushed to the master obelisk cloud.

The second option would probably be the best as the first could be abused to produce save lag. The only downside to the second method is your items would not be available right away.. you would be limited to a maximum time being the same as the save interval, but this would take out the upload timer and just add the timer on the back end.

The reason that duping is an issue, is because of how the obelisk transfers are handled. You have the server which has its own save file and then you have the obelisk storage cloud that does its own saves in real-time... I will leave it as vague as that as I do not want to promote this activity, but the problem is easily addressable with a little coding work... I think they could easily make these changes in a week or two if they chose, but maybe they are working on another issue like unique item id's, but the problem with that is all the extra work on the CPU for creating and tracking those items.

I like your ideas for sure. I'd be totally for a timer on the backside where my stuff isn't available for 60min. The waiting kills any desire for me to make cross ark trades and really makes it tough to move resources like pillars/walls/ingots easily. Most times I'm doing something anyways at the moment, so a delay timer upon upload would be great. 

51 minutes ago, flamron said:

The timer is a devastation to the legit players. There has to be a better way, especially since the timers dont even stop the duppers, and they wreck drop transfers completely (cross server transferring is a nightmare). The lag our server deals with constantly is bad enough in its own. Back to subject, the timer stops legit players from using basic funtions of the game more than it stops dupers. Just use one big database and problem solved. Maybe take some of those millions and invest in infrastructure a lil more.

23 hours ago, Goaty said:

It was added to prevent duping... maybe if you actually read patch notes or researched something you wouldn't have to post something like this.

Lol too bad it did little to actually stop duping our server is still plagued with dupers which is why we are attemptimtimg to leave which is taking days because of this Rediculous timer.  So my ability to read the patch notes has little to do with the fact that this is another stupid implementation by wildcard that does little to fix an existing issue and creates more headaches for the rest of us.   Kind of like your comment. 

The simple truth is that the timers aren't Preventing duping and are only hurting legit players so commen sense says to eliminate them, and actually work and come up with a better solution.  And the only reason I'm actually wasting time on the forum is because I have been at the obelisk for hours now trying to move and have nothing else to actually do but sit and wait. Fun game wildcard. 

21 hours ago, flamron said:

Removing it would break the game as well since so many are trading atm

32 minutes ago, iOlsen said:

Removing it would break the game as well since so many are trading atm

Game is broken when we can't play 60% of the day because it rolls back. Going on day 5 in a row now for our server. Starts at same time and ended around same time every day. Nothing like replaying 30minutes over and over and over and over...

See the problem with this happening is once you upload the items into the ark it is saved to the profile of the user who uploaded it so it is not wildcards fault for this problem because it is the games function for a crash to roll back from possible corrupted data but before the crash happens the player uploads the items in the ark's profile data, when the game rolls back the server has the inventories locations and ETC saved, and the Ark profile data has the items in it, because it is not connected to the server, I recommend wild card do something like this; if a player uploads anything in to the Ark then it is a required wait for 45 min for that data to be saved Ark profile data then if the server is crashed during the wait and the data wont be saved to the ark but to the player inventory before the crash. Example: Player has 200 metal in inventory puts it in the Ark, 15 min later the server crashes, then he gets back on and has the 200 metal in inventory but since the Ark data did not have enough time to save the data it is gone from the Ark and was still a part of the server.

Yea this upload timer is ridiculous. It is really killing the end game economy of the game. Like there is no reason to do anything cross server. If you absolutely want to do a timer that's fine but there needs to be a different system than a 30 minute timer starting when you place something into the persons inventory. Maybe if there was a way to mark something for upload and start the timer then.  I mean if this is the solution to duping then lord help them developing the game for the future. Tbh I think I'd rather deal with duping then this timer crap. Can't cross server Raid, can't cross server trade, can't cross server tame, can't cross server move bases. Why even have a cross server function at his rate. 

On 9/25/2017 at 12:09 PM, EternalUniverse said:

Yup, trading has become a nightmare. Pay 10-15k for a wyvern but can only transfer soo much at a time. will take me weeks, maybe over a month to even upload all of the ingots.

People should lower prices :P

On 9/25/2017 at 12:16 PM, Goaty said:

It was added to prevent duping... maybe if you actually read patch notes or researched something you wouldn't have to post something like this.

And does it work ? Nope. So...

Ok so over 8 hours spent or I should say wasted, at the obelisk today.  Oh and If you have a stack and accidentally just move one over the rest of the stack resets It’s tiimer, good times!  Thanks wildcard for all the fun!  Should change the name from “Ark survival”  to “sitting at the obelisk survival”.

Archived