The Island Ice cave

Wallbuilder

So I've been trying to set up for looting the ice cave again. And for the life of me, I cannot think of a viable way of doing this cave that doesn't involve cheesing.

The dino count in here is... absolutely absurd. There's at least 200 hostiles in the cave. And by the time you clear the cave almost EVERYTHING will have respawned. The sheer, massive amount of ammo you'd need to clear this place is raptoring spastic. I'm talking 700+ metal arrows from a 230% comp bow or 1000+ shotgun shells(220%+) per run. But the biggest issue is Purlovias. You cannot get them to come out of their holes without them leaping at you. Shooting their hole does nothing. So you either need to throw a sacrificial dino(Also, there's 30+ Purlovias per run so... you're gonna' need a lot of raptoring compies or monkeys) or eat poop yourself. They CAN be dodged or cheesed with terrain but that cannot be relied upon, especially areas where there's up to 8 Purlovias next to each other. And sometimes Purlovias won't even react to your presence. So you're left with this landmine that could go off at any time without warning that you can't defuse. So you move past the Purlovia... and now you have to fight more stuff in front of you while this deathtrap sits behind you and there's nothing you can do about it(Killed me about 3 times). And sometimes, those Purlovia mounds can activate 5-20 seconds AFTER you've gone past them - which results in a Purlovia flying towards you in a way that would make Thyla's jealous(Killed me 2 times). Additional bonus points: Purlovias often spawn INSIDE the walls and will leap at you out of them(Has killed me 6+ times).

So lately, I've been breeding dinos in there. But even that's gotten hard with Purlovias. You need a Yutyrranus to get badgers out of their holes with it's fear roar. And that's not a fun thing to raise in a cave. My question is this. How the raptor are you supposed to deal with this cave? In a realistic way that doesn't involve cheesing or running past everything. Are you meant to bring 10 people into this cave? Because going solo or even as 3 people... it's ridiculous.

its realistic to run in and out and avoid whatever you can't beat

breeding dinos in there is kinda cheesing already, since at the entrance you're expected to crawl through so no large dinos should be in there

what I got here is patience. it will take about 2 hours to get to the artifact finally. the rest of the time you'll find yourself trying to retrieve your dead body for that artifact you looted

Guy breeding dinos in a cave wants a non-cheese way to clear the cave? K.

Just go in there and kill everything. Bring sabres with good saddles, a few hyenas, and a couple dimos. I did it 3 or 4 nights ago with a buddy. We each had a dimo and we were each on a dire wolf. I burned about 100-150 metal arrows. We also blew through ~1000 rounds, but we were just having fun pray-and-spraying with some overpowered assault rifles. 

Oh, and this was on a server with the difficulty set to 8. (Max wild is lvl240, so you see some REALLY high level dinos in the harder caves) Doing it on official difficulty is cake.

13 hours ago, HiImZech said:

bare naked, spare crossbows, grappling hooks

and a pick

You can also either get artifacts and/or the loot from crates in just your birthday suit. No items needed. The first large crystal formation can be jumped over if you hop on one of the smaller formations near it. The second one can be gotten over by jumping a gap to the area above it and leaping over the crystals. You can then jump back over both formations with ease.

7 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Guy breeding dinos in a cave wants a non-cheese way to clear the cave? K.

Just go in there and kill everything. Bring sabres with good saddles, a few hyenas, and a couple dimos. I did it 3 or 4 nights ago with a buddy. We each had a dimo and we were each on a dire wolf. I burned about 100-150 metal arrows. We also blew through ~1000 rounds, but we were just having fun pray-and-spraying with some overpowered assault rifles. 

Oh, and this was on a server with the difficulty set to 8. (Max wild is lvl240, so you see some REALLY high level dinos in the harder caves) Doing it on official difficulty is cake.

You can't even take sabers/dires into the cave, soooo... I'm talking about the southern ice cave, not the north-western one.

5 hours ago, Vrallox said:

You can also either get artifacts and/or the loot from crates in just your birthday suit. No items needed. The first large crystal formation can be jumped over if you hop on one of the smaller formations near it. The second one can be gotten over by jumping a gap to the area above it and leaping over the crystals. You can then jump back over both formations with ease.

No items? Have you tried the cave recently? There are parts with literally 15 dinos in a tiny polar bear sized pathway.

To clear it initially I went in slowly, clearing areas and placing "checkpoints" with a generator, auto turrets and beds so that we only had a small portion of the cave to deal with at any one time.  That allowed us to get a couple of artefacts but was a pain each time things re-spawned.

We then decided to hatch a pack of Allosaurus in there to help "farm" it a little easier.. then they got rid of bats and introduced Polar Bears and Purlovias making it impossible again.

We then decided to hatch some REXes in there - no problems, clear half the cave quickly and easily.  Then they changed the hitbox size of the rex so it no longer fits through all of the cave.  There is one section approx. half way through REX wont fit.

Currently building up a 2nd breeding area after this block to breed more rexes for the 2nd half with the intention of doing first half, leaving them rexes waiting for us on neutral then walking the small gap to the next set to do the 2nd half.

25 minutes ago, MirageUK said:

To clear it initially I went in slowly, clearing areas and placing "checkpoints" with a generator, auto turrets and beds so that we only had a small portion of the cave to deal with at any one time.  That allowed us to get a couple of artefacts but was a pain each time things re-spawned.

We then decided to hatch a pack of Allosaurus in there to help "farm" it a little easier.. then they got rid of bats and introduced Polar Bears and Purlovias making it impossible again.

We then decided to hatch some REXes in there - no problems, clear half the cave quickly and easily.  Then they changed the hitbox size of the rex so it no longer fits through all of the cave.  There is one section approx. half way through REX wont fit.

Currently building up a 2nd breeding area after this block to breed more rexes for the 2nd half with the intention of doing first half, leaving them rexes waiting for us on neutral then walking the small gap to the next set to do the 2nd half.

Bloody rough. I used to use dire bears in there until Purlovias. You could try a Yuty in there - it can scream Purlovias out. Though I should have mentioned, I'm on a PvE server, I forget PvP can build inside there.

We are too - but it is our own dedicated rented unofficial PvE so we have some tweaked settings to allow building in caves, slightly better rates for breeding and ability to pick players/dinos with our birds and re-gen stamina whilst standing on the Quetz but rest of settings pretty vanilla. Can't imagine doing it on official PvE with no ability to cave build - no solo at least.

8 hours ago, Wallbuilder said:

No items? Have you tried the cave recently? There are parts with literally 15 dinos in a tiny polar bear sized pathway.

Yup. Plunk down a bunch of beds outside and just kite them away from the path. Make sure they're not in the water or they'll die and something else could spawn in the way.

I've got a little two foundation outpost near each cave. I can die as much as I want although the Snow Cave is really the only one I need multiple beds for.

The vault I have next to the Snow Cave outpost was getting pretty full and I just recently had to empty it.

lol Idk about non cheesing it. Maybe a pack of shoulder mounts flying in beside you, or riding a spider if that still gets in and out. I just run it naked and have 3 spawn points in it. When I die the first few times, I agro everything in the corners. Then after that I run behind them quick enough to not agro them out again and grab the drops. 170 movement speed after the nerf is still worth it because of stuff like that considering the blueprints and premade items I get out of those 3 red drops. 

Archived