Has Dino AI been improved?

CeaselessFish

I’ve not been stalking the patch notes like I used to a few months back. But wild dino’s are acting so weird around me recently. Things that normally aggro on me without question now see me and run away. I swear I just had a confrontation with a wild saber ( I was on foot) he only came after me when I ran away. If I turned and ran towards him HE ran away. That one could have been a random event I admit but generally everything’s acting weird. Can’t even run something into a rock and get it stuck anymore. xD

30 minutes ago, CeaselessFish said:

I’ve not been stalking the patch notes like I used to a few months back. But wild dino’s are acting so weird around me recently. Things that normally aggro on me without question now see me and run away. I swear I just had a confrontation with a wild saber ( I was on foot) he only came after me when I ran away. If I turned and ran towards him HE ran away. That one could have been a random event I admit but generally everything’s acting weird. Can’t even run something into a rock and get it stuck anymore. xD

I would say the AI has been changed but, I wouldn't quite say "Improved". It happen two or three updates ago. The dinos are a little derpy when it comes to encounters and won't always agro on you anymore or will do this weird back and forth attack kind of similar to how the raptor does ( even though the raptor seems to be allot more accurate than previous ).

On 23.09.2017 at 11:40 PM, CeaselessFish said:

It has not been improved at all. It is as primitive as it was during Day 1 of Early Access. Pathfanding still does not exsists in this game, so dinosaurs keep trying to walk through rocks and walls, even though other open world games have it and work there with no noticable problems.

Yup. It started sometime around when they changed rex hit boxes so it would be more difficult to trap the dragon. 

Now dinos think they have to attack the rex's butthole to do it damage.

Same with mosas. Alphas and normal mosas go after the tamed mosa's butthole.

I do not know what it is with WC and buttholes. I understand that it can easily be construed as a weak point on any creature, but come on. 

Our tactics should not consist of "Tank with one tame's butthole while another tame attacks the wild creatures butthole." 

2 hours ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

Yup. It started sometime around when they changed rex hit boxes so it would be more difficult to trap the dragon. 

Now dinos think they have to attack the rex's butthole to do it damage.

Same with mosas. Alphas and normal mosas go after the tamed mosa's butthole.

I do not know what it is with WC and buttholes. I understand that it can easily be construed as a weak point on any creature, but come on. 

Our tactics should not consist of "Tank with one tame's butthole while another tame attacks the wild creatures butthole." 

It does sound funny :P I know you seem frustrated by it but that may just be making it sound funnier. And of course the butt cloaca is the most vulnerable spot after all. 

(However trying to hit something that’s constantly running behind is no bueno)

I was crossbowing a low lvl rex from up high on a cliff edge. The rex turned round went to the botton the cliff slope  around 150ft away and started heading towards me up the slope. I had to parachute off the cliff and jump in my raft. It ran down the cliff edge and chased me for about 100ft.   

AI seemed pretty decent to me. The rex still walked through boulders and rocks but it was still good AI imo

2 hours ago, GREYW0LF said:

I was crossbowing a low lvl rex from up high on a cliff edge. The rex turned round went to the botton the cliff slope  around 150ft away and started heading towards me up the slope. I had to parachute off the cliff and jump in my raft. It ran down the cliff edge and chased me for about 100ft.   

AI seemed pretty decent to me. The rex still walked through boulders and rocks but it was still good AI imo

THIS. Happened to me with a raptor. I thought it had to be a fluke until I saw you’d had a similar experience. ... they’re learning. 

The AI has changed. People who deny that aren't really being nitpicky enough.

I dunno if it got BETTER, but it has changed. They are a 'little' better at pathfinding now, and like some have mentioned, I too have noticed dino's that can't reach me actually have sometimes been able to find a way up to me. I think it's when they can't that the AI seems to act like a derp.

But I've also witness the random moments of a dino fleeing from me for no reason. But to me that's not really bad. It just makes it all the more like a wild creature. Not all of them have guts to face the skinny two-leg with the boom stick apparently.

It's not perfect though. Dino's will still get stuck on terrain, which to me is odd because it's not like any of the trees or rocks or anything respawn in random locations...you'd think Wildcard could be able to program into the dino logic that there will ALWAYS be a rock here, here, and here, so they know to avoid it. Still, just yesterday I shuffled my dino army for broodmother farming all the way up to the blue obelisk and back. Going UP it was a pain cause of all the rocks of course, but on the way down, as long as the obstacle wasn't too large, they'd only get stuck for a brief moment before they turn and go around it. It still could be better though. MUCH better. Lot of room to improve here.

One of the problems is that carnivores initially run away from you instead of chasing you. They should be aggressive. I've actually had a giga flee from me the entire time I was biting it.

This is immediately noticeable with alphas, they run back and forth in front of you, leaping over obstacles while you just watch. 

As for biting butts, if it's making your life harder trying to kill it i say the ai is doing a pretty good job fighting you.

Pathing was improved in terms of AI.

Flee mechanic got worse as dinos are always fleeing. 

And when the server lags, sometimes a whistle to follow command will make the dino run circles ,and then actually fly half the screen due to a small rock collision. I had a rex literally dunk himself into my water pen which was 4x4 with stone walls and no ceiling. Was amusing to watch lol. 

4 minutes ago, dslick said:

Pathing was improved in terms of AI.

Flee mechanic got worse as dinos are always fleeing. 

And when the server lags, sometimes a whistle to follow command will make the dino run circles ,and then actually fly half the screen due to a small rock collision. I had a rex literally dunk himself into my water pen which was 4x4 with stone walls and no ceiling. Was amusing to watch lol. 

I had a similar experience with trying to lead my saber up a narrow mountain path. This however was not amusing. Glad it’s not just all in my head anyway and there’s definitely been a change. 

Pathing does seem a little better on your tames and REX no longer gets stuck stubbing a toe on a pebble.  Wild - never realised what it was but yeah now that others have pointed it out - they lose interest too quickly or flee rather than aggro.  Took us a lot longer to kite a Giga to our gate trap recently than it did for our first one months ago that would not lose interest and almost killed us and our birds kiting it to the trap and placing the 4th gate.  Makes them harder to kite and capture I guess.

It's a combination of changes to render distance and AI on stuck dinos.  If you have a dino cliffed and are tranquing them, they will flee in around 30 seconds if they are unable to reach or bite you.  The flee mechanic lasts around 10s of no damage, coupled with the lower render range causes bigger/faster dinos to flee until they de-render, and when you re-render them their flee timer gets reset and continues, causing frustration.  This is especially prevalent among dinos with bad turn radius like mosas and rexes.

They could fix this mostly by reducing the flee timer to match the reduced render distance.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:04 AM, GREYW0LF said:

I just had this happen while taming an Allo this weekend. I was shooting it from a cliff, and it suddenly "runs off", so I start looking to where it is going, and I realize that it is going over to an area where it can come up and get me. I managed to jump on my Argy just inches before he grabbed us.  I was really impressed. Seemed to me like he knew what he was doing.

But many times, I also get the dino that starts running right away. Like  the Sharks all seem to basically ignore me and swim away as I keep tranqing them.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:18 AM, Lewiatan said:

It has not been improved at all. It is as primitive as it was during Day 1 of Early Access. 

For those reading, the above statement is 100% inaccurate.

Is AI pathing perfect? No. Could it be better? Certainly...but you don't need to make things up to say so. The AI has improved DRAMATICALLY since release, but there's still room for improvement. Some folks, however, have some extremely unrealistic expectations for AI in a game with as many unique creatures as Ark. I feel like players forget that developers (from all companies) are still limited by technology.

8 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

For those reading, the above statement is 100% inaccurate.

Is AI pathing perfect? No. Could it be better? Certainly...but you don't need to make things up to say so. The AI has improved DRAMATICALLY since release, but there's still room for improvement. Some folks, however, have some extremely unrealistic expectations for AI in a game with as many unique creatures as Ark. I feel like players forget that developers (from all companies) are still limited by technology.

What was exactly "dramitcally" improved? Don't tell me proper pathfinding is unrealistic exceptation for AI. Pathfinding was my the most anticipated AI overhaul during Early Access. Developers are not limited by technology only their skills. FEAR has outstanding AI and the game is from 2005. Granted is way more smaller game, but ARK could have implemeted similar features from there.

Archived