Archived Patch Notes

Jatheish

• Volunteer Moderator

Lets not make assumptions people. This picture has for a long time had the image of the survivors holding weapons whilst riding, which is not in game. Also the Halloween version of this image had a Saber with a zombie-like skin which was not in game. Try not to take the picture as literal otherwise you set yourself up for disappointment if it turns out not to be 100% representative of what's going to be in the Winter Wonderland event.

:dod-xmas:

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well glad I decided to get some sleep last night!  Woke up and the patch has been delayed AGAIN.  I love these devs but damn this is really starting to get frustrating.  I know it's just an ESTIMATED time of arrival but damn.  If I tell one of my clients that I should be able to get there between 1-2 and show up at 6PM I don't get paid, simple s that.  So I'm wondering what the deal with always underestimating how much work is left on the patch.

Again I LOVE THE GAME, and really appreciate these devs updating at such an awesome rate, just please get better at estimating your work speed =) 

Mainly these ETA are helpful to people like me who host private servers for people.  These ETA give us a rough estimate of when we will need to be ready to update the server for our players.  When the patch is continually delayed and pushed back the ETA may as well just be ignored at this point.  People who make money hosting servers are obligated to get their servers updated as soon as physically possible, and these hit or miss ETA are making it damn near impossible.

Love you Wild Card!  You guys are the hardest working alpha devs I've ever had the pleasure of playing the alpha but goodness this is maddening =P 

1 hour ago, RedRaven said:

the ETA may as well just be ignored at this point.

If you didn't start doing this by the time the 3rd patch was delayed in the early days, I really don't know what to tell you.

They do try and hit their ETAs, they've told us again and again, but if bugs show up at noon, do you send out the patch and tell people to hold on while things are being hotfixed or do you save them from game-breaking glitches, bugs and trees growing in bases deleting animals?
I hope we both know the answer and that's the reason why they're delayed again and again.

And the devs should most definitely not work even harder just because of private server owners. You decided you wanted to host for others. It's your responsibility to inform your playerbase better. Tell them there might be a patch later today or tonight. If there isn't don't be surprised and if there's a patch and your server can't be updated within 5 minutes of it landing and someone has to live half a day without ARK so be it. Is it really the end of the world?

I know it's an unpopular opinion to have amongst all the private server owners, but I'm one myself and I still try not to fanboy too much in my opinions, when it comes to Wildcard and their mistakes, but when they have as few mistakes as "can't hit their ETA" and "The Giga/Turkey Trials wasn't the best idea" then it's tough not to defend them, when unjust opinions appear and I really feel like this one isn't justified to be brought up this often.

This hub needs a sticky thread named "ETAs and why we probably won't hit them!" and then a list of good reasons. Bug appeared, something glitched on the test server, lack of sleep, sudden newborn baby, so we can link it without explaining much :) 

19 minutes ago, HighFlyer15 said:

If you didn't start doing this by the time the 3rd patch was delayed in the early days, I really don't know what to tell you.

They do try and hit their ETAs, they've told us again and again, but if bugs show up at noon, do you send out the patch and tell people to hold on while things are being hotfixed or do you save them from game-breaking glitches, bugs and trees growing in bases deleting animals?
I hope we both know the answer and that's the reason why they're delayed again and again.

And the devs should most definitely not work even harder just because of private server owners. You decided you wanted to host for others. It's your responsibility to inform your playerbase better. Tell them there might be a patch later today or tonight. If there isn't don't be surprised and if there's a patch and your server can't be updated within 5 minutes of it landing and someone has to live half a day without ARK so be it. Is it really the end of the world?

Not once did I say they should work harder, in fact I said they were already the hardest working Alpha devs out there.   I simply said they should be better about giving an accurate ETA as they are judging the speed of their own work... If they give an ETA they should be very certain that they can get it out by then.  When they give us an ETA and continually push it back they may as well not give us one to start.

You clearly didn't read my post.

I understand bugs come up and things get pushed back.  However when this happens 3-4 times on the same patch that's not very professional at all.  If they are unsure when the patch will be ready, simply don't put an ETA it's not hard.  ETA is for when you are 90% certain you can get it out by then without delaying it an additional 2 weeks, not when you're just TRYING to hit that mark but aren't sure you can.

Again these devs are amazing, at everything except giving an ETA that actually means anything.

2 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Not once did I say they should work harder, in fact I said they were already the hardest working Alpha devs out there.   I simply said they should be better about giving an accurate ETA as they are judging the speed of their own work... If they give an ETA they should be very certain that they can get it out by then.  When they give us an ETA and continually push it back they may as well not give us one to start.

You clearly didn't read my post.

I understand bugs come up and things get pushed back.  However when this happens 3-4 times on the same patch that's not very professional at all.  If they are unsure when the patch will be ready, simply don't put an ETA it's not hard.  ETA is for when you are 90% certain you can get it out by then without delaying it an additional 2 weeks, not when you're just TRYING to hit that mark but aren't sure you can.

Again these devs are amazing, at everything except giving an ETA that actually means anything.

I read your post pretty clearly.
I didn't say you told them to work harder. I just said they shouldn't :) 
They give as good ETAs as they can. Pretty sure they don't enjoy seeing these threads/posts popping up again and again.

If they don't give an ETA, private server owners(not you) will complain about not being able to give their players a proper heads up ;) Been there, done that. Every kind of "complaint" has been given when it comes to ETAs being delayed or not given :) 

They are amazing and I'm sorry if I sound like a "just deal with it" person, who wants to do nothing but defend them, but they're not doing this for fun. It's one of the only flaws about them. 

btw added a bit as your reply came in, nothing ninja'd or anything, just some extra text.

10 minutes ago, HighFlyer15 said:

I read your post pretty clearly.
I didn't say you told them to work harder. I just said they shouldn't :) 
They give as good ETAs as they can. Pretty sure they don't enjoy seeing these threads/posts popping up again and again.

If they don't give an ETA, private server owners(not you) will complain about not being able to give their players a proper heads up ;) Been there, done that. Every kind of "complaint" has been given when it comes to ETAs being delayed or not given :) 

They are amazing and I'm sorry if I sound like a "just deal with it" person, who wants to do nothing but defend them, but they're not doing this for fun. It's one of the only flaws about them. 

btw added a bit as your reply came in, nothing ninja'd or anything, just some extra text.

I can't say they give the best ETA they can give, because they are always off on the ETAs. Every one of them is wrong and gets delayed 3-4 times before it actually gets released. As a private server owner the ETA has no effect in that way for me. When the patch is out I can just post an announcement on the server of when it will go down to update. And since the ETA is always wrong, it doesn't give any accurate notice to server owners to begin with.

Its better to be early than late, seriously just add 3 days to the ETA. if you think its coming out on Monday, well say it comes out on Thursday instead. That gives them extra time to fix bugs or other problems with the patch while giving the appearance that they still meet their ETA. Then everyone is happy.

17 minutes ago, Deadman said:

I can't say they give the best ETA they can give, because they are always off on the ETAs. Every one of them is wrong and gets delayed 3-4 times before it actually gets released. As a private server owner the ETA has no effect in that way for me. When the patch is out I can just post an announcement on the server of when it will go down to update. And since the ETA is always wrong, it doesn't give any accurate notice to server owners to begin with.

Its better to be early than late, seriously just add 3 days to the ETA. if you think its coming out on Monday, well say it comes out on Thursday instead. That gives them extra time to fix bugs or other problems with the patch while giving the appearance that they still meet their ETA. Then everyone is happy.

Yes!!! If they just gave themselves a few extra days on the ETA it would probably help a lot with actually sticking to it.

3 minutes ago, Deadman said:

They could definitely change the way they're doing the ETAs and they should.
Honestly don't know why they don't, but as you said the delays have or at least, shouldn't have any effect on private server owners.

TheRaven what's the issue with the delays? Is it because players demand it asap on your server? Is it the people who accidentally update before your server is updated or is just because it's annoying(I find it annoying too, but I've learned to ignore the ETAs until they've been delayed 3-4 times)
As Deadman says it shouldn't have any effect as an announcement is simply given once the patch is out, telling people when the server will go down. Will everything be fine once a "mobile" way of posting announcements and updating the server is available?

Just now, RedRaven said:

Yes!!! If they just gave themselves a few extra days on the ETA it would probably help a lot with actually sticking to it.

But why would they have to stick to their estimation? They try their best to get it out at that point and they have admitted a lot of times they suck with estimations.

The thing is they fix something else that they would like to have in the patch or they find something where they decide it is better not to release with this problem or bug.

So yea that being said they do not have to meet their ETA's in early access. I would think differently when the game is officially released and they miss ETA's like this :P

20 minutes ago, Deadman said:

It's the nature of software development. Estimates are a best guess at the best of times. Adding 3 days to an estimate doesn't do any good when you are out in the weeds tracking down nasty corner cases and it takes 3 weeks to fix. 

There is tons of stuff written about software estimation and why it is often wrong. This isn't even a Web app where it's fairly easy to get a good ball park guess. Games are some of the hardest programs to test because of the number of interactions. 

Let's remember too that they are delaying a release to their testers, because that is what we are in EA. No one gets in trouble because the testers didn't get a new build on time. 

Hopefully we get to enjoy this game for Christmas break while yall enjoy our money we dished out.  Lol sorry that's just the frustration speaking I love yall keep up the good work.  On another note, for real we need another update and some new servers. We are terribly sorry for the pressure.  All the great ones encounter pressure and tribulations. Yall are trying, I know, but we would like to enjoy this work of art yall created. On behalf of us all,  sorry for being needy bitches. Love yall and happy holidays. 

I have been in the sever menu for 2 hours. I have restarted, refreshed, hard reset the console, reset router, flipped breakers. Everything and I cannot connect to the server I was playing on just about 5 hours ago with my friends. Please throw me in the lobby or something I just want to play your awesome game, is there anything you can do to help me? All NA servers are ping N/A and 70/70 and all servers say full and my gamertag is, im Jrack. I've been trying to spam join NA official server 115 for a little over 2 hours now.

• Jen unpinned this topic

Archived