Any Fix In Sight For "Joining failed - could not retrieve address"

Go to solution Solved by Chuwalee,

This is happening to a lot of players since the event finished, I've not been able to connect for 2 days now (dead babies, thanks WC). I've googled everywhere to find a solution and there's no quick fix. I've submitted tickets (no response), no one seems to care so as usual we just have to sit and wait for a patch OR just uninstall it and play something else.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No solution yet, but there is a work around.   Go to your network settings, hit advanced settings go to DNS and make your primary and secondary DNS 8.8.8.8

Hi, Everytime I go to join an Official dedicated server it says "could not retrieve address". After I try a few more times the game freezes and dashboards me. It does t

The changing my DNS setting worked thank u so much!!!!!!!!!  

Posted Images

I have not been able to play Ark for 4 days now due to the message "Could not retrieve address" every time I try to log on to NA servers. I have seen hundreds of complaints from other players about this problem too, I have also submitted tickets with no response at all. Studiowildcard could you please acknowledge the fact that there is a problem and post something about a future patch if it is coming rather than just ignore everyone, it would put every ones mind at rest knowing that they will be able to play again sometime soon.

I have not been able to play Ark for 4 days now due to the message "Could not retrieve address" every time I try to log on to NA servers. I have seen hundreds of complaints from other players about this problem too, I have also submitted tickets with no response at all. Studiowildcard could you please acknowledge the fact that there is a problem and post something about a future patch if it is coming rather than just ignore everyone, it would put every ones mind at rest knowing that they will be able to play again sometime soon.

Hi, don’t know if this will work at all for anybody else, but it randomly did for me. So since a lot of people are having this issue after the event i hope this maybe helps atleast one person. i was having this exact issue for 2 days straight, not able to log onto my server at all but my friends could still play on it just fine. I was the only one getting the “Could Not Retrieve Address” error. After trying every method imaginable (uninstalling/reinstalling the entire game, changing my DNS to 8.8.8.8, hard resetting my Xbox etc.) and having them all fail, i decided to see if my wifi network could be an issue. I connected my Xbox to the wifi hotspot on my iphone and loaded ark and, it worked. Suddenly the error wasn’t occurring and i got back into my server just fine, and even after switching back to my original wifi network i was still able to get in without the error. Don’t know how this makes sense but it fixed mine so, if it fixes yours cool. If it doesn’t then idk go play minecraft or something.

Hey, also... if you do not want to use google, you may just want to try Cloudfare. (I use that). Default isp based DNS can be good, but I had some issues and moved it to use Cloudflare's DNSand resolved some inadequacies in the isp.

How to configure Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS service on Windows 10 or your router | Windows Central

Every other god damned online game on the Xbox works just fine, except ARK.. And ATLAS..

I just rented a server again for my family, and guess what? Error: Unable to retrieve server address!

This is beyond a joke.. This is an issue that has persisted for 5 bloody years, where the last message from Wildcard was "No solution yet".. 5 years pass, tons of players wasting a ton of money on rental servers from Nitrado, not being able to play on their pre-paid servers, and STILL NO SOLUTION.

Workarounds is NOT solutions, it's as the name implies, a workaround but albeit one that affects other games in a negative way. So changing the DNS is not a solution. A solution is something WIldcard, Nitrado and Microsoft has to work together to come up with that doesn't involve the end user having to do anything on their end.

This is outrageous to say the least. It truly is beyond a joke now..

And they're gonna release ARK 2 next year? Yeah.. Good luck with that..

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the same problem. Fix: (at least for me) After you get the "joining Failed" message just turn off your console (stand by) without closing the game. When you restart, the game tries to connect you to the last session, you should get an error and you'll get back to the main menu. After that you should be able to join again.

• 2 weeks later...

So I transferred from extinction to island and got told could not retrieve address so I tried load genesis managed to load in and spawn but then dc'd since then every server I join just says could not retrieve address been like this for about 18hrs now, I've hard reset xb,cleared my cache, swapped broadband even reinstalled my game and add ons but not working, if a friend invites me to server it still says could not retrieve address any help would be much appreciated 

• 1 month later...

This is day 8 that I cannot log onto any cluster or server. I have tried every fix known to man including restarting my router, hard reset, unplugging power from the xbox, clearing cache, loading into single player first letting all render then trying to join the cluster. Resetting my xbox, uninstalling and reinstalling ark. Nothing is working can someone please help?

I have been having this issue since the last ARK update, more than a month ago, where i try to join the official and unofficial servers from the Official dedicated arks and Unofficial PC Sessions, where i cant join any NA or EU server, i was able to join them before the update, by the way i live in Ecuador it is in South America, i can only join the OC servers and i need to join the other servers cause i always play them with my friends from USA, can anyone help me with this situation? i tryed changing my DNS to 8.8.8.8, reinstalled the game, Cleared my persistant storage, joining the local host and trying the maps after that, and also cleared my internal storage to try fix it, but nothing has worked yet, so i need your help, thanks. 

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-03 at 18.51.27.jpeg

Setting both primary and alternate dns to the same address produces an error. >_<

To this day, there is no real world solution to easily joining an official Ark server. Ark is the only game with RNG factored in trying to join the game. Sometimes its easy it lets you join asap, sometimes it's like a game of its own that doesnt even have a definite/bulls eye solution. Just keep trying it like mad and it will eventually let me join or NOT. Rinse and repeat. 

I've played several online game but Ark is the only game that does that. They have game soundtracks produced by a real talent, why can't it be the same for this part of the game. It is very frustrating seeing how the game behaves whenever I try to join a server.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I know this has been a problem since I first downloaded the game in 2017. I stopped playing in 2019 and I just got a new Xbox Series X so I re downloaded the game. I cannot join any official server, I can play single player Ark and any other multiplayer game just fine. I keep getting, “Cannot Retrieve Address” no matter what official server or map I try to join. I can join a non-dedicated ark server though. I have gone through every thread on here and Reddit, done all the work arounds and even changed my primary and secondary DNS to the 8.8.8.8. Nothing. I have done hours worth of messing with my router/modem settings, port forwarding, resetting, IP address adding and anything else you can think of. Even tried the good ole internet cable to the router. Will this ever be fixed? I just updated my Xbox and I figured that would have helped but nothing. I want to buy all the new maps but if I can’t play, what’s the point? SOS

Edited by Kaelee
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Jackieb239 said:

I’m not the only person having this error when I searched the web for it, but I haven’t seen a fix yet. I’ve tried the host/local game suggestion and still doesn’t work. Are there any other fixes folk are aware of? Thanks

I have some bad news, this is a problem for anyone using cell phone internet. Whether its a hotspot device, actual cell phone, or some sort of third party set up that uses cell phone tower signals to connect you to the internet, you will not be able to get to play ark online. You can still play solo, but it comes with its own set of issues, bugs, and glitches that practically require you to become accustom to cheat mode, and spawn commands. Which practically ruins the experience. 

The only work around currently, is to pay for a VPN.

I know, cause I have had this bug effect me for over a year now. v.v