Niteowl

Any Fix In Sight For "Joining failed - could not retrieve address"

i have been going threw the same thing my son its been a week ive uninstalled the game 4 times and all the dlc and skins ive refreshed the cache and the router ive even changed the wifi channal and my xbox port imjust now getting on the forums to try and get help. its sad when every time an update or map drops the game breaks i wonder if they test it when they submit these updates.#primplus has been broke sence extinction droped. all wyvern eggs supply drops and the argy crash but they fixed the argy in 2 patches yippee.#MAGA #PRIMPLUSBROKE #COULDNOTRETREVADDRESS

Been dealing with this issue for 3 days now. Only solution for me so far was connecting my xbox to my phones hotspot. That has allowed me to get on quickly to feed my dinos but I cant play like that. Really need an answer to this.

Here is a reddit post I made with more detailed info https://www.reddit.com/r/ARKone/comments/aphxn6/join_failed_could_not_retrieve_address/

Hello. I have 1k hours on steam (pc ark) and about 300 on Xbox ark or windows store ark. Currently, I'm trying to connect to a PVP server. Out of my 1.3k hours I have never run into this error until today. The map is Ragnarok and its clustered with arbitration. I own every DLC. I get the error connecting to the Ragnarok server. I can connect to the arbitration server just fine. Maby its something to do with the map??

POSSIBLE FIX!!

TLDR: had same error connecting, discovered the issue is with the IP address, started using a VPN through my laptop, problem has been fixed for me.

Hey all, I just wanted to let you know I've been struggling with this Issue for over a week. My friends have started up on a server, and I wanted to join them, however I wasn't able to. Every time I would get the "unable to retrieve address" error message. There were a few times I was able to somehow connect, two or three to be exact, but it was never reliable and it only happened twice out of the hundreds of times I tried to connect. After doing alot of reading and troubleshooting, everything so much as factory resetting my xbox, I was out of options. So after reading a few success stories about changing IP addresses and such, I decided to test that, even though I can't access router settings or contact my ISP because my internet is controlled by my University. So I turned on my phone's hotspot, and viola! I loaded in with no problems. Next, I went back to my wifi and tried, and still couldn't connect to the server. After giving up for a few days, I decided to come back and try using a VPN. Because I'm on Xbox, and can't access my router settings, I have to use my laptop as a sort of adapter, but I'm able to run my xbox through the VPN and I can now connect to the server without any problems. Also, I forgot to mention, I tried many others servers when I was unable to connect, and most of them also unresponsive. After the VPN, I can connect to all the servers I've tried. If you can, I would recommend trying to change your IP address first as that shouldn't cost extra money, but a VPN is definitely worth a try. Best of luck everyone!

I have only joined and played two official online servers, one regularly. I play on Xbox and although always “exit from game” before finishing, I don’t necessarily exit game fully, such that when I restart, Ark is still in Xbox memory, ie in the “Resume game” window. I can almost guarantee that if i try to rejoin last session or the server manually, I will get this “Cannot retrieve address” error. 

The workaround that never fails is bouncing to the xbox home screen, starting another game so as to flush ark from memory and then bounce back to home and restart. No need to actually start another game. Once you see a loading screen should be enough.

I’m no expert but I suspect the issue is VPN or more specifically NAT related. The game to all intents and purposes is not aware of an IP address change but the router, due to the long time between packet sends, likely tries to initiate on a new IP session, so failing wohout a return path, or similar. What I don’t fully understand isI would assume that the game is opening a new socket and session when on the server screen and therefore a new session would be started on router too. I suspect there is a programmatical solution,  but perhaps it’s too much of a pain in the ass for wildcard to split code streams to resolve. 

Anyway, my failsafe works as often as I recall, if not a full xbox shutdown (not soft restart) is probably going to.

Easiest way to avoid, flush Ark from memory once your play session is complete by running something else. Then you will always initiate full restart. Obviously this isn’t necessary for single player.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:42 PM, CLAYTON1846 said:

I've tried everything 2 join any of my servers with no luck at all! I have tried everything on this topic board with no luck 3 to 4yrs down the tubes! Can anyone give any advice besides just quit playing! Submitted a ticket also! Cant retrieve address 

I'm one of the original posters about this and I figured your comment suited my issue the best. Having the same thing for years now, randomly works and then stops working. I've stopped playing ark entirely because I can only connect to OC servers despite living in North America. They wont do anything if you submit a ticket. Suprising to see this thread still active. Wildcard still has no comment about this? Shame

On 2/20/2019 at 6:36 AM, Zoglet said:

I have only joined and played two official online servers, one regularly. I play on Xbox and although always “exit from game” before finishing, I don’t necessarily exit game fully, such that when I restart, Ark is still in Xbox memory, ie in the “Resume game” window. I can almost guarantee that if i try to rejoin last session or the server manually, I will get this “Cannot retrieve address” error. 

The workaround that never fails is bouncing to the xbox home screen, starting another game so as to flush ark from memory and then bounce back to home and restart. No need to actually start another game. Once you see a loading screen should be enough.

I’m no expert but I suspect the issue is VPN or more specifically NAT related. The game to all intents and purposes is not aware of an IP address change but the router, due to the long time between packet sends, likely tries to initiate on a new IP session, so failing wohout a return path, or similar. What I don’t fully understand isI would assume that the game is opening a new socket and session when on the server screen and therefore a new session would be started on router too. I suspect there is a programmatical solution,  but perhaps it’s too much of a pain in the ass for wildcard to split code streams to resolve. 

Anyway, my failsafe works as often as I recall, if not a full xbox shutdown (not soft restart) is probably going to.

Easiest way to avoid, flush Ark from memory once your play session is complete by running something else. Then you will always initiate full restart. Obviously this isn’t necessary for single player.

The "workaround that never fails" has failed a lot of people lol I appreciate you trying to help but it's not a fix for everyone

The workaround that never fails “for me” then, sorry. I can only speak from my own personal experience and thought that would be implied. I’m sorry it doesn’t work for you but hope and suspect that it may help some others resding this post. Hope your specific problems get resolved.

Edited by Zoglet

I started up a server on my pc through the xbox app on one account on my xbox. Everything was running smooth, ark loaded, I was able to bring up the server, and everything was fine. But then I went on my xbox to play on my server but first of all, it doesn't even show up on the server list, and second, if I invite myself to the server from the xbox app it just gives me the message "join failed" without any explanation or anything. I would appreciate it if someone could explain what is happening. Thanks.

Edited by ultimat3Ian

If you tried all the above workarounds ( relaunching game, Xbox hard reset, etc.) and it did not work, it's probably your internet service provider (ISP) blocking ports for all game servers except the OC servers!! The only reliable solution is either change your ISP, or If you can't you could use VPN services which will cost 3-6 $/month depending on the provider. Hope this helps someone enjoy their experience

YPlaying ark on xbox one, unnoficial pc session, have been for 2 months, its called ark ftw ragnarok 6x.  Was playin a few hours ago, then went to freinds for 20 mins, came back, and started getting could not retrieve address error, tried reseting game, xbox several times, tried restarting xbox, tried reseting router, tried dns settings to 8.8.8.8, still error could not retrieve addres.  Your workaround works for some but not all.  Please help.

now my  tribemate gets same

Edited by MechaSonic

1 hour ago, MechaSonic said:

YPlaying ark on xbox one, unnoficial pc session, have been for 2 months, its called ark ftw ragnarok 6x.  Was playin a few hours ago, then went to freinds for 20 mins, came back, and started getting could not retrieve address error, tried reseting game, xbox several times, tried restarting xbox, tried reseting router, tried dns settings to 8.8.8.8, still error could not retrieve addres.  Your workaround works for some but not all.  Please help.

Edited by Gregasaurus
Double post

1 hour ago, MechaSonic said:

I've been having the same issue today, I tried everything, but what worked for me was to try and join last played session, then while it was loading I went to Xbox settings and went OFFLINE. Then seconds later went back online. That still failed to join, but after that it worked for me. Hope it works for you too!