Niteowl

Any Fix In Sight For "Joining failed - could not retrieve address"

Hi,

Everytime I go to join an Official dedicated server it says "could not retrieve address". After I try a few more times the game freezes and dashboards me. It does this for every server I try to get in. I have already tried Uninstalling and reinstalling the game twice and it does the same thing. Does anyone know how to fix this or knows if the upcoming patch will fix this problem?

Thank you

Edited by SallyAnn

Just an update on this situation guys - we're still looking into reproducing the issue ourselves so we can figure out what's going on and why it's happening, we've also been in touch with Microsoft to see if they've got any ideas as we haven't changed anything which would suddenly cause this. I am sorry about the bug, I know it's a terrible one and we'll get to the bottom of it as soon as we're able to. 

If you guys could keep me apprised of whether you have success or not with the workaround mentioned above, I would be very grateful! :)

@SallyAnn @Jat

I cannot see why changing DNS ,would be a work around. Unless the root issue, has to do with a ISP DNS config or router not passing DNS info properly . You may want to start asking about what router/modem combos and ISP the people having issue are on.... I would bet, you will see a pattern in the error. I, personally have NEVER run into issue , that the lord!

4 minutes ago, GrimReafer116 said:

Has anyone else had this problem when logging into dedicated ark servers. And if so how do I fix it

The easiest way to try and fix it is to go offline then back online like this:

1. Scroll left on the Home screen to open the guide.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select All Settings.
  4. Select Network.
  5. Select Network settings, and then select Go offline.

Your network status will change to offline. To go back online, follow the previous steps, but in Network settings select Go online.

If that doesn't work you can try and power cycle your xbox by holding the power button till the xbox turns off wait 10 seconds then turn it back on.  Report back if neither of these solve your issue. Good luck!

53 minutes ago, GrimReafer116 said:

Has anyone else had this problem when logging into dedicated ark servers. And if so how do I fix it

I also just found this on Reddit from Jat:

"We're currently iterating on this right now so hopefully should be able to resolve it soon. Sorry about the issues guys, this hadn't popped up in internal testing ever - though it's our #1 Xbox tech-issue currently (has a lot of attention)."

So there doesn't seem to be a workaround yet. Not that I can find anyway.  Hopefully it will be fixed for you soon.

i haven't been able to play ark for over 2 weeks now cause every server says could not retrieve address and i just got done downloading the new update and still can't play i really wish this would get fixed i have waited very patiently and don't point me back to a post made back in december talking about it will be fixed in a patch that was like three patches back. i just want to play ark with my friends on an official server i have already tried uninstalling the game too

Edited by TMGAkumaPanda

On 05/02/2016 at 9:15 PM, Chuwalee said:

No solution yet, but there is a work around.   Go to your network settings, hit advanced settings go to DNS and make your primary and secondary DNS 8.8.8.8

@TMGAkumaPanda

If you are getting the Cannot Retrieve Address Error please trying this workaround above and let us know if it works for you.

3 hours ago, SallyAnn said:

@TMGAkumaPanda

If you are getting the Cannot Retrieve Address Error please trying this workaround above and let us know if it works for you.

thank you this worked but there is some bugs with the servers after this saying room is full and host timed out/connection lost to host at the same time

Purchased this game at 6 pm central Saturday. It is now 1:20 AM central Tuesday morning. I've YET TO PLAY THE GAME. I keep getting "sorry could not retrieve address" Open NAT, I have 1 gig up 1 gig down fiber optic internet. I have friends on xbox that are playing the game just fine.. I have another friend who bought the game Monday afternoon who feels teh same way I do as if we was ripped off. We just pissed 38 bucks to you guys for a junky space on our hard drives.. PLEASE FIX THIS!!