Why the complaints about official pvp

Jlmaples

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/22/2017 at 5:21 PM, Jlmaples said:

So after my time on ARK I've decided a few things. The BIGGEST problem that players make.. is the server settings they chose. They join PvP server thinking they want to be on a PvP server, yet they complain when they are killed by others.. they complain that they get raided.. 

There is only 2 reasons to play a PvP server..

1 you plan to kill/raid someone without their permission

2 you wish to play with a friend that wants to kill/raid someone without their permission.

Either way.. how can you complain when someone better comes and does it to you? How is that justifiable? Why not play pve where you need to agree to PvP

I love when alpha sets a rule of no killing passives. THIS is official pvp. I will do what I want.

We need to clean these servers up of the wanna be pvpers. They are bad. They don't want to PvP. So why not show them the errors in their ways? 

If your with me.. kill their passives. Kill their campfires and unlocked storage boxes. I'm tired of hearing "why you kill me" on an official PvP server. Teach these baddies they don't want pvp. Tell them to go to pve server where they belong.

UPDATE- have gotten rid of a tribe of 3 pve players who thought they were pvpers. 

The story - I knocked out a pteranadon on a mid population server. I am laying in the bushes awaiting my new tame to finish up. As I lay there in the cold night I spot a raft with fires and forges running. At first the raft past the location of my pteranadon. Then it stops. All of a sudden they jump out and run to my pteranadon killing it. (My character has 160 move speed) I decided retaliate. After killing one of them with my fab pistol I use for alpha hunting they ran towards there raft. I made a quick judgement call.. they were going to escape if I didnt act quickly. I had farmed some grenades to raid someone.. I decided to grenade their raft before they could get to their raft. To my knowledge, I thought it would be a waste. But after killing them and getting killed by there saber and wolf.. I ran back to discover.. this raft was a raft that was prepared to raid. I got my grenades upgraded to c4. I killed a saber and wolf (by the looks of it either kibble or prime tamed and leveled up)

These kids thought they wanted to PvP when they didn't. RIP pvers

Because PvP'ers overall are whiners. Just look at MOBA's for example. Biggest issue in gaming today is games ruining pve in order to try to "balance" pvp. Yet that balance will never be because pvp'ers will always complain. It's the nature of the beast.

2 hours ago, eggsnbak0n said:

Because PvP'ers overall are whiners. Just look at MOBA's for example. Biggest issue in gaming today is games ruining pve in order to try to "balance" pvp. Yet that balance will never be because pvp'ers will always complain. It's the nature of the beast.

Agreed, players will always be smarter than the half baked 'balances' that devs try to come up with. This very fanbase has proven that multiple times.

1 hour ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

ARK PvP is brutal. Not a playing ground for new players. The very best play PvP. There is no strategy or simple way to be good at PvP. Most good PvP players make things up as they play and that IS the strategy. /Ariana

The very best of what exactly? This comment is laughable.

The problem is, the morons who don't understand what PVP is. When you're a 10 man tribe attacking a solo players stone base with his 2 tames while he's offline, sorry to say but that's not PvP, that's being a sausage.

Some people clearly have never played legit PvP style games that require skill and out smarting your opponent while understanding the mechanics of the game better than they do. Ark PvP the MAJORITY of PvP is the equivalent of playing world of Warcraft, having a level 110 character and 1 shotting a level 5 and feeling like you're a good pvper. It's so rare in ark that the person being attacked, even remotely stands a chance. The fact that most of the time it happens while the person offline too makes ark PvP a big joke.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of PvP and think it's the only way the game survives long term. Unofficial servers will eventually get shutdown by the owners and people will only restart so many times, and pve has no replay value once you finish endgame. But, the way PvP is now, it's completely broken and not implemented very well which is going to lead to a large number of players quitting the game permanently out of frustration. Sure people will rebuild a few times, but they will inevitably lose the desire to play after constantly getting wiped.

The main problem, is that with ark PvP there is VERY LITTLE skill, and just completely relies on numbers. The game requires an insane time sink to maintain your base and progress, but the issue is that if you're looking for a competitive game in terms of PvP, this isn't it. If you're a competitive gamer, why sink all the time this game requires when there's no real skill level to it. If you're a competitive gamer that time would be better served learning an actual legit skilled game with esports potential. 

The thing that makes me kind of laugh and think some of these "pvpers" are just tools, is when they talk complete crap in chat and act like God, when the ONLY reason they can do it is just because they know they have the numbers. Until a lower tribe limit and ORP is implemented, PvP will never be in a good place.

16 minutes ago, Assisted said:

The problem is, the morons who don't understand what PVP is. When you're a 10 man tribe attacking a solo players stone base with his 2 tames while he's offline, sorry to say but that's not PvP, that's being a sausage.

Some people clearly have never played legit PvP style games that require skill and out smarting your opponent while understanding the mechanics of the game better than they do. Ark PvP the MAJORITY of PvP is the equivalent of playing world of Warcraft, having a level 110 character and 1 shotting a level 5 and feeling like you're a good pvper. It's so rare in ark that the person being attacked, even remotely stands a chance. The fact that most of the time it happens while the person offline too makes ark PvP a big joke.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of PvP and think it's the only way the game survives long term. Unofficial servers will eventually get shutdown by the owners and people will only restart so many times, and pve has no replay value once you finish endgame. But, the way PvP is now, it's completely broken and not implemented very well which is going to lead to a large number of players quitting the game permanently out of frustration. Sure people will rebuild a few times, but they will inevitably lose the desire to play after constantly getting wiped.

The main problem, is that with ark PvP there is VERY LITTLE skill, and just completely relies on numbers. The game requires an insane time sink to maintain your base and progress, but the issue is that if you're looking for a competitive game in terms of PvP, this isn't it. If you're a competitive gamer, why sink all the time this game requires when there's no real skill level to it. If you're a competitive gamer that time would be better served learning an actual legit skilled game with esports potential. 

The thing that makes me kind of laugh and think some of these "pvpers" are just tools, is when they talk complete crap in chat and act like God, when the ONLY reason they can do it is just because they know they have the numbers. Until a lower tribe limit and ORP is implemented, PvP will never be in a good place.

Totally agree!  ----   I want decent PvP, but not how it's played out currently.

The only way that I can see a truly good experience of PvP for the majority of players (leaving a more positive outlook especially to new players) is to create a new game mode which focuses more on the PvP aspect in a more fair way. Survival of the Fittest is in the right direction, but I don't think it takes it far enough. The harvest speed was way over the top and the game timers were way too short....   What I am after is a longer term game with Large tribe teams going head to head, but with clear cut objectives, and anyone can join up at any given moment of time until the objective is met.

• Isolated cluster server or Isolated single map.
  • Server forces everyone joining to pick 1 of 3 tribes (or server makes the choice for you).
  • Objective of game is to capture all the artifacts or first team to ascend or SOTF style deathmatch or whatever etc.... (once objective is met, a tribe Is declared the winner and the server is reset).
  • No tribe is allowed to have more than one third of the total number of people allowed at one time on the server. So no ability to fill a server with just one team!
  • The game is fair (No mega tribes vs solo/small tribes) - Each tribe has it's fair share of casual / no lifer / hard core / griefer / troll type players.

I've noticed theres a lot of people who want to PVE on PVP servers. Like spend hundreds of hours grinding an elegant base while I farm for 20 minutes making 4 nades and take all there stuff and they rage.

This game definitly benefits the attacker. My friend and I put in a significant amount of effort to put up 30 turrets with 250 bullets each and someone decided to drop a rock golem while we're offline and we're only level 79. 

Funny thing was after busting about 14 doors they found out we didnt have anything to protect.

1 hour ago, Mendoza said:

Totally agree!  ----   I want decent PvP, but not how it's played out currently.

The only way that I can see a truly good experience of PvP for the majority of players (leaving a more positive outlook especially to new players) is to create a new game mode which focuses more on the PvP aspect in a more fair way. Survival of the Fittest is in the right direction, but I don't think it takes it far enough. The harvest speed was way over the top and the game timers were way too short....   What I am after is a longer term game with Large tribe teams going head to head, but with clear cut objectives, and anyone can join up at any given moment of time until the objective is met.

• Isolated cluster server or Isolated single map.
  • Server forces everyone joining to pick 1 of 3 tribes (or server makes the choice for you).
  • Objective of game is to capture all the artifacts or first team to ascend or SOTF style deathmatch or whatever etc.... (once objective is met, a tribe Is declared the winner and the server is reset).
  • No tribe is allowed to have more than one third of the total number of people allowed at one time on the server. So no ability to fill a server with just one team!
  • The game is fair (No mega tribes vs solo/small tribes) - Each tribe has it's fair share of casual / no lifer / hard core / griefer / troll type players.

Ya there needs to definitely be a more fair way of doing things as opposed to how it is now. I mean, pretty much every PvP type of game out there has a matchmaking system to keep games competitive.

The thing with Ark, is VERY RARELY does anyone PvP with people on their same level since the risk of losing things they have grinded for is far greater, so instead they stick with pvping against players that are leagues below them and don't stand a chance. People who say "it's pvp" as an excuse to be bullies need a reality check, because it's not PvP when the player on the other end could turn the pc/console off and have the exact same result since they had no chance to begin with.

In the end, it doesnt really matter. I honestly feel like, at least for official pvp servers, the game has a lifespan of less than a year. Solo players and smaller tribes over the next few months will start dying off and realize they don't stand a chance... mega tribes will get boring for some players to be in and they will fade out and stop playing... ones playing on pve will finish endgame stuff and fade out as well. I'm not saying the game will be completely dead, but within a year i could see wildcard cutting a few servers to save costs, and you might see the average server having a pop of 15-20 online 

Been playing PvP mmos since UO and one truth still holds. The title of 'true pvpr' always belongs to whomever is on top. Everyone else is just a 'scrub'. These players that come onto forums proclaiming they are the only true pvprs. That only lasts until an even larger, more organized group starts farming them and not allowing them to do anything, then they are on the forums or in global chat just like everyone else they ever did it to. Karma is a funny thing. 

I agree that ARK PvP was a time sink but now I hear that ORP is also in some PvP servers (official). If it works people can take a break and live. I stopped playing PvP with the launch of the game and started my first PvE. Most relaxing. Some of the flaws in PvE was patched quickly. Love that and Love PvE. I guess we return to PvP when things settle. /Ariana

On 23/09/2017 at 1:21 AM, Jlmaples said:

So after my time on ARK I've decided a few things. The BIGGEST problem that players make.. is the server settings they chose. They join PvP server thinking they want to be on a PvP server, yet they complain when they are killed by others.. they complain that they get raided.. 

There is only 2 reasons to play a PvP server..

1 you plan to kill/raid someone without their permission

2 you wish to play with a friend that wants to kill/raid someone without their permission.

Either way.. how can you complain when someone better comes and does it to you? How is that justifiable? Why not play pve where you need to agree to PvP

I love when alpha sets a rule of no killing passives. THIS is official pvp. I will do what I want.

We need to clean these servers up of the wanna be pvpers. They are bad. They don't want to PvP. So why not show them the errors in their ways? 

If your with me.. kill their passives. Kill their campfires and unlocked storage boxes. I'm tired of hearing "why you kill me" on an official PvP server. Teach these baddies they don't want pvp. Tell them to go to pve server where they belong.

UPDATE- have gotten rid of a tribe of 3 pve players who thought they were pvpers. 

The story - I knocked out a pteranadon on a mid population server. I am laying in the bushes awaiting my new tame to finish up. As I lay there in the cold night I spot a raft with fires and forges running. At first the raft past the location of my pteranadon. Then it stops. All of a sudden they jump out and run to my pteranadon killing it. (My character has 160 move speed) I decided retaliate. After killing one of them with my fab pistol I use for alpha hunting they ran towards there raft. I made a quick judgement call.. they were going to escape if I didnt act quickly. I had farmed some grenades to raid someone.. I decided to grenade their raft before they could get to their raft. To my knowledge, I thought it would be a waste. But after killing them and getting killed by there saber and wolf.. I ran back to discover.. this raft was a raft that was prepared to raid. I got my grenades upgraded to c4. I killed a saber and wolf (by the looks of it either kibble or prime tamed and leveled up)

These kids thought they wanted to PvP when they didn't. RIP pvers

Yeah I know what you mean bro.  Just yesterday,  I raided a tribe with three people online,  with just  a ptera a ramshackle sword and 3 rockets. I blew their behemoth gate,  then blew a few plants up,  then I cleared a few more with flame arrows to make a clear path,  they had four turrets but bad blind spots. Then last rocket into their stone Base and Dino pen,  It probably took twenty minutes,  the three of them were online hiding in their Base,  they didn't run out to pvp me, they didn't try too shoot me ,  they didn't ride out on their Rex to try and defend,  all they did was complain in chat,  asking why raid us?  Asking everyone on the server for help,  telling me I'm all these bad things and general saltiness. I ran in their Base and started chopping up the passive dinos,  rex dead,  bronto dead already from flame arrows,  the flyers and farm tames got it next,  they didn't try to stop me,  they just gave the server a running commentry of what was happening,  like "he's killing my argy"  oh the argys dead,  no leave the Anky,  stop,  not the dodos it was truly pathetic,  I ran in smashed the generator,  looted and dropped what I wanted while I chased them round the base with a Club,  they got really salty when the bed was destroyed and they had to spawn on the beach. I found 10 grenades in their Base and used them inside the stone Base just to destroy it. Then I left on my ptera laughing. They carried on complaining for about half hour after until they realised no one on the server cared.

Now these guys are a prime example of pve players on a pvp server that shouldn't be there,  they would have had a way better experience on a PVE server.  They never wanted pvp.

14 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Pretty sure most of the so called "hardcore PVPers" on official would get absolutely Rekt by the CSGO community. ?

Nah I'm guessing most of the hardcore pvpers on ark don't play fps games because they are way too easy playing amongst little kids,  I bet most pvpers had mad kill death ratios on cod and dominated halo that much it stopped being fun. I personally gave up on cod because I used to run around and get over half the kills for my team every match,  like at least 35/70 kills and with minimal deaths,  it just became boring,  I would get nukes in hardcore team death match without even trying. 

Ark pvp is way more skill based and requires more thinking and patience than a point and shoot game. That's what attracts the hardcore crowd.  Plus when you win ark pvp it is way more rewarding than when you come top of your team in a deathmatch. 

6 hours ago, Assisted said:

Ya there needs to definitely be a more fair way of doing things as opposed to how it is now. I mean, pretty much every PvP type of game out there has a matchmaking system to keep games competitive.

The thing with Ark, is VERY RARELY does anyone PvP with people on their same level since the risk of losing things they have grinded for is far greater, so instead they stick with pvping against players that are leagues below them and don't stand a chance. People who say "it's pvp" as an excuse to be bullies need a reality check, because it's not PvP when the player on the other end could turn the pc/console off and have the exact same result since they had no chance to begin with.

In the end, it doesnt really matter. I honestly feel like, at least for official pvp servers, the game has a lifespan of less than a year. Solo players and smaller tribes over the next few months will start dying off and realize they don't stand a chance... mega tribes will get boring for some players to be in and they will fade out and stop playing... ones playing on pve will finish endgame stuff and fade out as well. I'm not saying the game will be completely dead, but within a year i could see wildcard cutting a few servers to save costs, and you might see the average server having a pop of 15-20 online 

No.  It's been going two years already,  the servers have only just reset so there is loads of stuff to do,  tribes are still getting established, Soon the servers will be stable ( by stable I mean a ruling alpha will be in place and the rest of the server will be their allies or just small non threatening tribes)  then people will be on mass breeding for mega high level mutated dinos,  then when the bases are built and the raid dinos overflowing,  the real fun starts,  cross server raiding,  cross server alliances will he made and massive wars to wipe whole servers will happen. The game has loads of life in it to last for years,  and every new dlc will increase its life even further. 

There is a reason all the good players have 4000 hours in this game,  they are not going anywhere soon. As with all games some people will leave,  this games not for everyone,  it's a persistent world full loot pvp game,  players that ask for matchmaking and fair pvp with teams are playing the wrong game,  and the sooner they leave the better,.

Plus there is always something you can do while being raided,  bold and club the guy,  pike his passive dragon while he's on cooldown, go to Their Base and start sniping,  flame arrow their tames watch how fast they stop raiding you and return to Base. Even if they come in force and wipe your little shack it's not over,  it's persistent world pvp,  you can go back and get them after,  wait in the bushes and rocket them off the beaver while they are farming,  there is always something you can do,  your attitude of may as well turn off the xbox is why you lose every time. This game is not for you.

The sooner people let go of something being forever, the sooner they can better enjoy this game. It, and the community, will constantly challenge and eviscerate you until you either learn or quit. One's ability to look at their mistakes and learn from them greatly defines how much a player can get out of this game in the long term. I like this game because of how punishing it is. I've yet to get a character above lvl 70 in pvp, but I've already seen these truths. It makes for a splendid challenge to both one's patience and ability to withstand defeat.

1 hour ago, SmokeyB said:

Nah I'm guessing most of the hardcore pvpers on ark don't play fps games because they are way too easy playing amongst little kids,  I bet most pvpers had mad kill death ratios on cod and dominated halo that much it stopped being fun. I personally gave up on cod because I used to run around and get over half the kills for my team every match,  like at least 35/70 kills and with minimal deaths,  it just became boring,  I would get nukes in hardcore team death match without even trying. 

Ark pvp is way more skill based and requires more thinking and patience than a point and shoot game. That's what attracts the hardcore crowd.  Plus when you win ark pvp it is way more rewarding than when you come top of your team in a deathmatch. 

LMFAO cause you think Ark's PVP requires any real skill.

The fact that you clearly don't know what CS is and mentioned COD and Halo shows you have no idea what games real PVPers play.

Ark is not a PVP game bro. Just because you can PVP doesn't mean that's it's focus. It's a friggin MMO Survival Sandbox.

2 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

LMFAO cause you think Ark's PVP requires any real skill.

The fact that you clearly don't know what CS is and mentioned COD and Halo shows you have no idea what games real PVPers play.

Ark is not a PVP game bro. Just because you can PVP doesn't mean that's it's focus. It's a friggin MMO Survival Sandbox.

Lol. Good ol' CSGO. Love that game. 

When ark players say PvP requires skill while in a mego tribe that locks out servers after they ddos them just so people can't fight back. Takes skill to learn to ddos,  n learn how to brown nose some mega tribes. 

He is right though. PvP, in ark takes skill. Like as in, I see a ptera rider n we have an epic air battle. But when marching on someone's base, if they are online, sure it takes some basic game knowledge, but at the end of the day. Whoever has the most 99% of the time wins. Its a game of attrition. Set up pill boxes so they can't leave, if you need to, then just go to work.

A buddy of mine. He isnt allowed in our trige due to trolling. He swears he isn't a troll. I asked what he did on ark.

"Oh ya know I pvped some people."

"Oh? What happened?"

"I saw these guys farming metal, so I dropped n killed them. Dumped their metal n most of their crap. Then waited by their birds. Ya see if I killed it they wouldn't come back. One came back. I knocked him out and caged him. Then I fed him his birds. They talked crap to me in chat after, so I went and sniped all their passives and threw narc grenades at them for an hour."

See. That's not pvp, that's being a sausage head. Too many tweens see pvp n kos everything. Its the only reason I get to pvp at all, as I only raid those who need a good spanking. 

Rule of thumb, if the first thing you try to learn and make, Is a club, and cage, you are not a pvp player, you are a troll and have probably never reached endgame(without duping).

30 minutes ago, CriD said:

Lol. Good ol' CSGO. Love that game. 

When ark players say PvP requires skill while in a mego tribe that locks out servers after they ddos them just so people can't fight back. Takes skill to learn to ddos,  n learn how to brown nose some mega tribes. 

He is right though. PvP, in ark takes skill. Like as in, I see a ptera rider n we have an epic air battle. But when marching on someone's base, if they are online, sure it takes some basic game knowledge, but at the end of the day. Whoever has the most 99% of the time wins. Its a game of attrition. Set up pill boxes so they can't leave, if you need to, then just go to work.

A buddy of mine. He isnt allowed in our trige due to trolling. He swears he isn't a troll. I asked what he did on ark.

"Oh ya know I pvped some people."

"Oh? What happened?"

"I saw these guys farming metal, so I dropped n killed them. Dumped their metal n most of their crap. Then waited by their birds. Ya see if I killed it they wouldn't come back. One came back. I knocked him out and caged him. Then I fed him his birds. They talked crap to me in chat after, so I went and sniped all their passives and threw narc grenades at them for an hour."

See. That's not pvp, that's being a sausage head. Too many tweens see pvp n kos everything. Its the only reason I get to pvp at all, as I only raid those who need a good spanking. 

Rule of thumb, if the first thing you try to learn and make, Is a club, and cage, you are not a pvp player, you are a troll and have probably never reached endgame(without duping).

Lol... Yeah, kids these days don't get it. ?

Thankfully you tend to get the older crowd with the good PVP games like CSGO.

I agree, there is some skill to PVPing properly in Ark. Too bad that's not what the majority of people do. Which is why I love SOTF so much. They got public server Ark PVP right in that mode.

Sadly, what we tend to see in ArK's PVP servers is trolls & griefers like your friend and the OP, and offline raiding. This is why I laugh when people talk about ARK PVP skill. There is no skill in taking the honorless and easy way out.

Real PVPers look at camping as cheaty for God's sake. These people that think they're PVPing in Ark have no clue how pathetic their actions really are.

The people that tend to tryhard the hell out of pvp in this game are probably some of the same unskilled scrubs that stay in the beginning of darksouls games just to invade genuinely new players with their uber leet gear to fulfill the power fantasy real life refuses to hand them.

The great thing about Ark PvP is it's really about being whatever you want it to be, but like anything it takes work. Want to be part of a mega tribe and probably maybe never lose anything, slave yourself, play internal politics and do it. Want to play the psycho/terrorist approach, cache your explosives, hide your petras, then rampage. Want to play Ark as a truly difficult survival game with the chief threats to your survival being the previous 2 (my preferred play style), use small hidden bases, make friends on the down low, and don't raid on your primary server. Etc. etc.

While I raid random folks from time to time, I personally don't get doing a bunch more damage than I need to unless it's someone I'm PO'd at or an immediate threat. So many times  this strategy leads to people patching the holes and maybe adding another turret or plant, but doing nothing to fix underlying design flaws. So I wait a week or 2 and do it again. I get more easy resources and they aren't starting from scratch/quitting.

However, if you want to wipe someone from existence, or as an alpha impose taxes, or as a newb build a stone stone monument 40 stories high to the Ark gods for salvation right on top of a great metal spawn, more power to you. That's the beauty of official PvP so few of the "laws" of the game are actually determined by the game itself, so do what you want, just be ready for your sandcastle to be knocked down.

Archived