Stone Behemoth Gate Farming

AmaZeeJxq

11 minutes ago, AmaZeeJxq said:

I want to make lots of behemoth gates to surround my base with, then after add auto turrets and plant species X but how can i make the behemoth gates efficient and fast?

Golem and Thorny combo or Doedic, Beaver, and Theri combo. 

Thorny and Beaver act as mobile Smithy's plus reduce weight of materials placed in their inventory. They are also both proficient wood gatherer's. 

Golem and doedic are great for rock withe Doedic having the added bonus of reducing weight of stone by 75 percent. The Golem can get good weight and lots of stone fast plus adds a great protector of your other dino's and self as well as the ability to harvest wood well and thatch too.

The Theri is an excellent wood gatherer as well, even better than the Beaver though it doesn't have the weight reduction. it also provides a great measure of protection. 

The Beaver, Thorny, Golem, and Theri all gather a decent amount of thatch as well at the same time they are harvesting wood. 

Assuming you are talking about Stone Behemoths at this phase.

Get a Mammoth(wood), Doedicurus(stone), Beaver(smithy) and your favorite thatch collecter,(there are many - Bronto, Moose, etc)

Beaver should be decent high level to hold enough weight to make one set of Gateway and Gate.

Harvest resources till your dinos cannot hold more but can still move, gather them all together in a circle around you.

Load materials into the beaver and produce.

Rinse and repeat till you have the number of behemoth sets you want.

To speed things up, even more, have 2 of each Doedicurus, Mammoths and thatch collectors. and have tribe mates fill these second ones up as you are making the gateways and gates.

BOOM, lots and lots of behemoth sets in short order, 30-40 sets in an hour.

If you really want to crank them out or you are solo, pre-stage rows of storage boxes on three sides of a smithy, so that smithy is open on one side, with resources on each of the three sides, 12 or more storage boxes per side. FIll these boxes with materials, stone on one side, thatch on another and wood on the third. Storage boxes are close enough to the smithy so you can unload a box and turn around to reach the smithy. FIll the smithy and create them.

24 minutes ago, XcookedX said:

Beaver has a 75% weight reduction not 1/2

Is this new? I haven't used a Beaver in awhile but have used the Thorny Dragon as recently as yesterday and they are at 50% reduction but I believe that is because it applies to stone, flint, thatch, and wood. I am pretty sure the Beaver follows the same model. 

1 hour ago, ImPr3gN4toR said:

try a mammoth for wood instead of a beaver - wood only weighs 1/4  om a mammoth as opposed to 1/2 on a beaver and the mammoth can carry more anyway(good for protection as well)

I actually find the mammoths attack weak and I've used two kibble tamed 150's where I got their weight two 2k then put everything else in melee giving them 400%+. Yes the 3/4 reduction is great but with the Beaver being a smithy as well and you crafting the items right away you are going to get a reduction in weight anyway and too me you still need something with better defense/offense capabilities as I believe a high level Carno or Theri will still give the mammoth a hard time and with it's slow movement you aren't out running either of those.

However if I am not crafting on the go (meaning items that require a smithy), yes I prefer a Theri/Mammoth combo as you will get an insane amount of wood with a high melee Theri and High weight Mammoth in minutes. We'd fill 4 grinders with this combo on only two runs and have enough wood left over to fill a grinder and a half after they finished running. 

14 minutes ago, Demerus said:

or you could avoid using this method to wall off your base as it impacts server performance since gates constantly scan for collision.

Didn't hear this from me though... :ph34r:

Im curious, If you use another method that presumably doesnt constantly scan for collision like say a circle of stone pillars 4-5 high, would that impact anything like dino's getting into your base more? Otherwise, why do Behemoths constantly scan for collision and other things don't?

I started putting the stone pillars 4 high but next day they had all auto decay destroyed way before their timers were due. Bugged at the moment i think. Went for the behemoths because im not sure what else is better?

7 minutes ago, ChickPea81 said:

Im curious, If you use another method that presumably doesnt constantly scan for collision like say a circle of stone pillars 4-5 high, would that impact anything like dino's getting into your base more? Otherwise, why do Behemoths constantly scan for collision and other things don't?

I started putting the stone pillars 4 high but next day they had all auto decay destroyed way before their timers were due. Bugged at the moment i think. Went for the behemoths because im not sure what else is better?

SInce you cannot interact with said structures to open/close them I would think that is the answer.

As for cost effective perimeter walls, a mix of pillars and fences have proven to be effective for my tribe. Space the pillar posts 1 tile apart to fit the fences between.

Most dinos cannot step over 4 pillars high. Adjust pillar height depending on surface hills along the wall, some dinos will clip over the wall if parts of it are elevated as they step over it. those portions of fence should be 5+ pillars high.  

30 minutes ago, Demerus said:

SInce you cannot interact with said structures to open/close them I would think that is the answer.

As for cost effective perimeter walls, a mix of pillars and fences have proven to be effective for my tribe. Space the pillar posts 1 tile apart to fit the fences between.

Most dinos cannot step over 4 pillars high. Adjust pillar height depending on surface hills along the wall, some dinos will clip over the wall if parts of it are elevated as they step over it. those portions of fence should be 5+ pillars high.  

Without previously knowing about the constant collision checking of the gates I had dismissed the idea of many walls because I thought not only would they impact build limit way more but that the server would lag more due to rendering in many many tiny walls instead of a large 2 piece behemoth.

They should give us behemoth (and dino gate) sized chunky walls.

Gonna have to rethink my behemoth perimeter now. I'm half way round.

1 hour ago, ChickPea81 said:

Without previously knowing about the constant collision checking of the gates I had dismissed the idea of many walls because I thought not only would they impact build limit way more but that the server would lag more due to rendering in many many tiny walls instead of a large 2 piece behemoth.

They should give us behemoth (and dino gate) sized chunky walls.

Gonna have to rethink my behemoth perimeter now. I'm half way round.

structure limit is impacted by having a lot of things placed in a small area. This is why it is better to build outward rather than upwards in order to spread everything out so it can be evenly rendered. It is impacted more by having multiple floors in a large box rather than spreading those floors out accross a compound so render distance determines the load in order instead of all at once.

There are a lot of important basic things WC should add to build with but they insist on adding TEK Lights instead.

11 minutes ago, AmaZeeJxq said:

Not many people on the server, its non-dedicated, dont worry about that.

Oh you still need to worry. I usually run around 45-60fps, but my giant dino storage & breeding castle takes me down to 16fps in some parts of it. Large builds can kill your fps regardless of it being single player or a busy server.

10 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Anky's are for metal and Flint. You want a Doedic for stone. 

Ankys are good at harvesting thatch as well.  Granted they might not be the best for stone but they get the job done while you were out there getting thatch. And as for Flint he's planning on having turrents so he be stockpiling that while he's getting Stone  to make gunpowder for bullets. In other words killing multiple birds with one stone

14 minutes ago, Cronics said:

Ankys are good at harvesting thatch as well.  Granted they might not be the best for stone but they get the job done while you were out there getting thatch. And as for Flint he's planning on having turrents so he be stockpiling that while he's getting Stone  to make gunpowder for bullets. In other words killing multiple birds with one stone

I see where you're coming from, but it doesn't change the fact that using an Anky for stone is incredibly inefficient. You're converting most of the harvesting ratio into flint so you've literally got to farm 4x the rocks to get equivalent Stone. Suggesting a good metal hatchet is actually better advise for stone harvesting.

Add to that, Doedics get a 75% weight reduction for stone, anky's get none.

53 minutes ago, Kassu said:

Thatch has to be farmed? I just take it out of the grinder ^^

So.... You have managed to level up enough to unlock the grinder and farm all the mats to make it... Before building a perimeter wall? LOL

The OP likely is just starting their base and not expanding or building a second base so are not likely to have access to a grinder at this stage. With the exception of course to all the noobs who come on, join an established tribe and just use their high level equipment without putting any of the work in. 

On 9/22/2017 at 10:35 AM, Demerus said:

or you could avoid using this method to wall off your base as it impacts server performance since gates constantly scan for collision.

Didn't hear this from me though... :ph34r:

Or you could just play on a server beefy enough that this has no noticeable impact on the server regardless of how many people are doing it.

I am looking forward to the day that wildcard starts to pay more attention to actual server performance more so than just shoving 15+ Vm's on a single server and watching it crawl to a hault. Maybe they will start to use servers running the higher clock speed Xeon's that are starting to hit the market. Maybe the new $2k i9's with 18cores would be a good investment for a hosting company. Those things can overclock to 4+ghz with a decent cooling setup. That is much better than the slow 2.2-3.1 core xeons they are currently using (Most of which are mid to high 2ghz ones)

I'd strongly advise against the behemoth gate wall method a lot of people try to use. It only takes 1 c4 for a stone gateway, and down goes 2 of those gates if placed right. If my tribe is ever raiding someone with those, the first thing we do is break all of the gates to get endless amounts of snipe and kill spots. Even a big base with 24 gates will only take 12 correctly placed c4 that cost a ton less to make than the gates they demolish. Use the resources to make a stone pillar wall, or just regular stone wall on fence foundations. May get blown down just as easy by c4 since it is still stone, but it will take a lot more explosives to do it. 

Archived