Meat runs on Ragnarok

SmokeyB

36 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

So I have noticed that the animals are very spred out on Ragnarok,  and with the map beings so large I'm finding a good meat run hard to come by 

I haven't really experienced this. yeah you don't have the ease of the island swamp run with a Giga where you just chomp away although I haven't gone to the swamp yet to do a meat run since we built on the other side of the map from it but so far we haven't had any issues collecting meat. Then again we haven't popped 10 Quetzal's at once yet either nor do we have the 180-196 dino's that we use to yet so maybe I'll see that when we get back to that point. 

The Simple Solution to this is make frigerator feeding troughs normal tier and not tak tier. This would be a massive quality of life Improvement. You will not need to go on so much meat runs these damn meat runs are burning me out on this game. We can build air conditioners refrigerators but somehow refrigerator feeding trough requires Tek tier?

I played primitive on legacy and now I'm on vanilla servers on the new officials.. having the industrial grill seems easy peasy for babies and keeping smaller amounts of meat preserved so that not so much spoils and gets ate.. do players want to be able to do one meat run a week or what? I'm seriously wondering why this is an issue for some? 

1 hour ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

I played primitive on legacy and now I'm on vanilla servers on the new officials.. having the industrial grill seems easy peasy for babies and keeping smaller amounts of meat preserved so that not so much spoils and gets ate.. do players want to be able to do one meat run a week or what? I'm seriously wondering why this is an issue for some? 

The biggest issue with this method is raising carnivorous babies... especially Gigas, Rexes, Quetzes.  Each will chew through an entire trough or more within hours.

The secondary issue with your method for raising babies is that cooked meat gives far less food than raw, and it only lasts about 50% longer... Jerkyed lasts much longer, but provides even less food... and in large quantities it's highly impractical to make since there's no industrial grill equivalent to the preserving bin.

The one method I've read about but haven't yet tried since I only read about it after restarting on new official is using mass volumes of dodo kibble, cooked in an indy cooker obviously.  Each one provides more food than raw meat, can be used by both herbivores *and* carnivores, *and* has a very long shelf life.

The downside is that if every tribe has 10 or 20 dodos it's going to really put a hurt on server dino population capacity.

2 hours ago, belboz99 said:

The biggest issue with this method is raising carnivorous babies... especially Gigas, Rexes, Quetzes.  Each will chew through an entire trough or more within hours.

The secondary issue with your method for raising babies is that cooked meat gives far less food than raw, and it only lasts about 50% longer... Jerkyed lasts much longer, but provides even less food... and in large quantities it's highly impractical to make since there's no industrial grill equivalent to the preserving bin.

The one method I've read about but haven't yet tried since I only read about it after restarting on new official is using mass volumes of dodo kibble, cooked in an indy cooker obviously.  Each one provides more food than raw meat, can be used by both herbivores *and* carnivores, *and* has a very long shelf life.

The downside is that if every tribe has 10 or 20 dodos it's going to really put a hurt on server dino population capacity.

That's what I'm saying tho.. I have a job and life and playing on vanilla seems incredibly easy even with limited time (as far as breeding goes).. I'm used to doing it all on primitive.. cooked meat can be made in much larger quantities and it not only lasts longer per piece but stacks an extra 10 stacks... It's not just about food given per piece, it's about the whole quantity lasting till you can login again to do a meat run.. cooked meat is simply better than raw if you aren't there playing... this whole idea behind the tek trough and wanting it before tek level seems more like people with limited time need the crutch or they can't keep up.. simple solution is join/make a tribe that is large enough to have coverage so that their is always someone on to cover babies/tames food needs..

We build north, close to the volcano on a valley that is right next to where the volcano black area starts. Has little water pool in the middle and all the space you ever need for your dinos. I mean rendering distance on epic would not show your dinos in the other end. It has flat area and very big area with inclinition. Easy access to stone/water/wood. We get our metal mostly from grinding platform saddles from (cave) drops.

If you keep heading East from there you'll end up in the snow mountains which has ridiculous amount of mammuth/rhino/wolfs. 
We usually head there with 2-3 rexes (one player only) and farm for 10-15 min and all rexes all FULL if you use the "Attack this target" -whistle properly. We use cooked meat for breeding, but we are on 5x.

I highly suggest that location for your base.

16 hours ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

That's what I'm saying tho.. I have a job and life and playing on vanilla seems incredibly easy even with limited time (as far as breeding goes).. I'm used to doing it all on primitive.. cooked meat can be made in much larger quantities and it not only lasts longer per piece but stacks an extra 10 stacks... It's not just about food given per piece, it's about the whole quantity lasting till you can login again to do a meat run.. cooked meat is simply better than raw if you aren't there playing... this whole idea behind the tek trough and wanting it before tek level seems more like people with limited time need the crutch or they can't keep up.. simple solution is join/make a tribe that is large enough to have coverage so that their is always someone on to cover babies/tames food needs..

Right, but there's a trade-off with food value.  If you use Crumplecorn's Trough Calculator you can see this more clearly:
http://ark.crumplecorn.com/breeding/

60 stacks (full trough) of raw meat will last 6 hours 11 minutes for raising a Giga.  Of that, 23.5% is spoiled.... The total food points for 60 stacks is 60,000... 45,900 is eaten, and 14,100 is spoiled.

If you then switch it over to cooked meat, it'll only last 5 hours 42 minutes... nearly 30 minutes less than a full trough of raw.... You start with 90,000 worth of food, but because cooked is only worth 25 food vs the full 50 of Raw, 45,000 of that food value is lost off the bat.... That's 3x more than spoiled in the Raw trough, and the same amount of food value as was even eaten in the Raw trough.  The total amount eaten is only 42,400.

So in a situation where you need to spend time to gather meat, you'd be spending 50% more time to gather meat, and you'd get around 16% less food value out of it.

Now, like I said, there is a trade-off... Play with the values and you'll see that the longer shelf life of cooked pays off *a bit* at a certain percentage of the trough.  For example with 20 cooked and 40 raw, you can get a whopping 7 more minutes of food... but the cost is having to farm an extra 10,000 points worth of meat.

1 hour ago, belboz99 said:

Right, but there's a trade-off with food value.  If you use Crumplecorn's Trough Calculator you can see this more clearly:
http://ark.crumplecorn.com/breeding/

60 stacks (full trough) of raw meat will last 6 hours 11 minutes for raising a Giga.  Of that, 23.5% is spoiled.... The total food points for 60 stacks is 60,000... 45,900 is eaten, and 14,100 is spoiled.

If you then switch it over to cooked meat, it'll only last 5 hours 42 minutes... nearly 30 minutes less than a full trough of raw.... You start with 90,000 worth of food, but because cooked is only worth 25 food vs the full 50 of Raw, 45,000 of that food value is lost off the bat.... That's 3x more than spoiled in the Raw trough, and the same amount of food value as was even eaten in the Raw trough.  The total amount eaten is only 42,400.

So in a situation where you need to spend time to gather meat, you'd be spending 50% more time to gather meat, and you'd get around 16% less food value out of it.

Now, like I said, there is a trade-off... Play with the values and you'll see that the longer shelf life of cooked pays off *a bit* at a certain percentage of the trough.  For example with 20 cooked and 40 raw, you can get a whopping 7 more minutes of food... but the cost is having to farm an extra 10,000 points worth of meat.

You can also throw the cooked on your baby.. longer spoilage timer means more there when trough runs out..

On 9/21/2017 at 2:56 PM, SmokeyB said:

So I have noticed that the animals are very spred out on Ragnarok,  and with the map beings so large I'm finding a good meat run hard to come by 

You can do a decent meat run on a rex in front of the volcano between the highlands and the beaver dam valley, just run the coast from viking bay all the way to the highlands (just past the wyvern scar). Another good source of meat is on the cliffs above viking bay between viking bay 3 and the dams up by the castle and the swamp below the castle.

Another good place to get meat in bulk is farming the creatures on the mountains and in the redwoods with a wyvern (using a rex on the mountains is tedious), or along the river banks in the sandy canyon between the swamp and the green ob.

Meat runs are easy with wyverns. Pass on rex and giga. Collect one or two troughs at a time. If your doing more than five or so babies then get some help. More babies = more work. If you have to many babies you can't feed them all. If you can't handle the workload then why did you get yourself into that situation? 

On 9/22/2017 at 7:50 AM, Cronics said:

The Simple Solution to this is make frigerator feeding troughs normal tier and not tak tier. This would be a massive quality of life Improvement. You will not need to go on so much meat runs these damn meat runs are burning me out on this game. We can build air conditioners refrigerators but somehow refrigerator feeding trough requires Tek tier?

well it is always open good luck getting as good luck not having all your poop go bad if you always have you fridge open

5 hours ago, not21dropper said:

well it is always open good luck getting as good luck not having all your poop go bad if you always have you fridge open

Like at a grocery store with meat right.... open ... refrigerated troughs work about the same way...use Same technology as the frigerator

http://www.washingtonfoodmarket.com/meat_department.html

• 5 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 3:50 PM, Cronics said:

This forum may be a little old but imagine leaving a refrigerator open, It doesn't keep things cold. You cant leave a refrigerator open like a trough and have it refrigerate. Somehow tek troughs magically keep things in the bowl of the structure cooled. 

Archived