Most Useless Dino?

TINYMAN

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should stress tameable as it's Jellyfish if it's all dino's. 

However I think there is a lot of variables. Particularly game mode (PvE vs PvP) but let me see if I can look at this from a general basis.

Contenders:

Female Megaloceros: No attack, no harvest ability. They do have speed and don't require a saddle to ride so from a utility standpoint they are up there for uselessness but they can be early easy mounts to acquire so not most useless.

Electrophorus: I went back and forth between this and the winner and I am still conflicted. Before the nerf the Electrophorus had the capability to be a potent tame assisted dino. Now that the shock is essentially useless outside of slowing down a water dino it has hampered the use of these annoyances. It still does have speed and it's ability to render anything outside of a Basil or Tuso useless for 8 to 10 seconds means it has some value especially if used in a school of them.

Winner:

For me it has to be the Araneo. Not very fast. For a spider it's a terrible climber. Isn't a particularly strong mount nor does it harvest anything well. It's one ability that should make it useful is hampered because it does damage and that is the webbing. If the webbing did not do damage this mount might be seen as a viable option to help tame an animal by slowing it down making it easier to pelt it with darts. As it stands you may end up killing the tame before knocking it out. From a PvP specific aspect a shield easily deflects the webbing and there are much better mounts for surprise attacks and to slow down your enemies progression that are stronger. 

If we are talking about tamed dinos, from a PvE players point of view deffinatly the Titanosaur. No point going through the grind needed for gathering the resources to actualy tame a seige dino that lasts a day. I mean what can you do with it, show off to the server ? Supose you could use it to clear land quickly for building. Not the most useless wild dino because of the xp gained from killing.

Would like to add liopleurodon to the useless tamed list contendor. Maybe not the most useless dino, but at the very least is a dissapointment and I just wanted to throw it into the mix. I mean I guess its useful for the rerolls on the loot tables for drops, but its not worth the hassle for a 30 min tame. 

I don't know if I would go with useless. That seems a little strong to me.

If I did however, maybe the female Megaloceros as someone mentioned.

However I will gladly chime in on the biggest disappointment. The Megalania. I hunted those things forever, so excited to get one. Real let down when I finally did. I guess they need to be balanced around PVP, because of the rabies thing? For whatever reason though, they are really lackluster. First ride out from my base, first thing I see, happens to be a max level Trike. Short story, good thing that Trikes are slower than the Megalania (which is saying something, as most players could outrun a Megalania on foot...) I fled up a cliffside at about 5% health. As I don't PVP, and won't be terrorizing my server inflicting rabies on everyone. I ended up putting my Megalania in the fodder pen my tribe keeps, for culling or maybe Troodon taming. First major disappointment in this game for me.

The megatherium big ant eater things,  it's just basically a bigger slower bear,  yeah it has more health but it deals less damage and is huge,  why would you take it out over a bear?  Even the bug killing thing is kind of useless as the only thing it could be usefull for was caves but it's so big if I could get it in the cave I might as well bring a rex 

12 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

The megatherium big ant eater things,  it's just basically a bigger slower bear,  yeah it has more health but it deals less damage and is huge,  why would you take it out over a bear?  Even the bug killing thing is kind of useless as the only thing it could be usefull for was caves but it's so big if I could get it in the cave I might as well bring a rex 

Chitin gathering is awesome for getting cementing paste.. and it gathers wood/thatch at a fairly decent rate.  Theri lite that is much easier to tame.  Has very good carry weight, and only gets aggro from other large creatures (rex/yut/gigatgolem/etc).. wrecks death worms too so they are pretty awesome on scorched..

52 minutes ago, Lott0523 said:

I don't know if I would go with useless. That seems a little strong to me.

If I did however, maybe the female Megaloceros as someone mentioned.

However I will gladly chime in on the biggest disappointment. The Megalania. I hunted those things forever, so excited to get one. Real let down when I finally did. I guess they need to be balanced around PVP, because of the rabies thing? For whatever reason though, they are really lackluster. First ride out from my base, first thing I see, happens to be a max level Trike. Short story, good thing that Trikes are slower than the Megalania (which is saying something, as most players could outrun a Megalania on foot...) I fled up a cliffside at about 5% health. As I don't PVP, and won't be terrorizing my server inflicting rabies on everyone. I ended up putting my Megalania in the fodder pen my tribe keeps, for culling or maybe Troodon taming. First major disappointment in this game for me.

Yea, they are pretty pvp oriented with the versatile wall/ceiling climbing and rabies.. 

Megaloceras has agility and jumping power. So the female still has utility as a scouting mount.

I would go with Titanosaur as it is a lot of work to tame it, to saddle it, and then it goes away. The only reason you would want one is for PvP to attack a base. Therefore it has a single use. Other dinos have abilities and provide eggs for kibble.

Dimetrodon, especially now that the Otter is released. Very annoying, resource-intensive tame with only a little applicability on P+. Its eggs are useful for a whopping one creature that can honestly just be berry tamed.

Other big contenders are the Archa, Sarco, Pachy, Araneo, Onyc, and Manta. For one reason or another, each of these is just plain bad or mildly useful but have such other factors so aggravating that their "usefulness" is completely overshadowed.

I don't actually find the Megaloceros or Diplo to be useless at all, personally. Titan is also "useful," but honestly it's not really worth the effort and can't really do anything people were hoping that it would be able to do.

27 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Dimetrodon, especially now that the Otter is released. Very annoying, resource-intensive tame with only a little applicability on P+. Its eggs are useful for a whopping one creature that can honestly just be berry tamed.

Other big contenders are the Archa, Sarco, Pachy, Araneo, Onyc, and Manta. For one reason or another, each of these is just plain bad or mildly useful but have such other factors so aggravating that their "usefulness" is completely overshadowed.

I don't actually find the Megaloceros or Diplo to be useless at all, personally. Titan is also "useful," but honestly it's not really worth the effort and can't really do anything people were hoping that it would be able to do.

Onyc and archa need to be made into proper shoulder mounts imo.. hopefully tlc fixes sarco, pachy, and araneo..

45 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

What about imprint kibble? I didn't include any of the imprint kibble dino's or the dino's that are used to get the kibble to tame the imprint kibble dino's (Sarco almost made my list but I know Stego is an imprint kibble plus PvP players use Stego's a lot as tanks. 

2 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

What about imprint kibble? I didn't include any of the imprint kibble dino's or the dino's that are used to get the kibble to tame the imprint kibble dino's (Sarco almost made my list but I know Stego is an imprint kibble plus PvP players use Stego's a lot as tanks. 

If a tame is only really useful as an egg layer for kibble, then I don't really consider that useful :P Especially given the difficulty of the Dimetrodon tame

1 minute ago, PuffyPony said:

If a tame is only really useful as an egg layer for kibble, then I don't really consider that useful :P Especially given the difficulty of the Dimetrodon tame

Ahh, see for me to get max stats I consider that extremely useful despite the difficulty of the tame. That being said, I definitely don't tame any dime over a level 20-25 and I don't waste Quetzal kibble since the stats don't matter. All my kibble tames get food level ups only anyway.

I would say pachy, the first and only dino I actually got rid of.

Fem deer is useful as a pack mule and runner, similar to Parasaur I guess - I think most would consider it equally not useful. I like using mules, so they work great for me, plus easy taming.

I did like the diplo, also as a mule, and they are surprisingly fast for their size.

I see a lot of people saying Diplo, but they're a lot of fun to use in PvP, especially if you live on a hill or near a cliff. The Diplo knockback is pretty OP used well. I used to encumber 4-5 of them around the encumbered knockback-brontos near our gates. They're still just meat shields, but they're pretty trolly. It's like the wall-stegos I used to hatch in the honecombs of my PvP bases...ultimately they aren't winning the fight, but they're making it MUCH more annoying for whoever's raiding me.

Archived