Hello, Ive been around the ark block here and there. I would like to rant about baD admins, but I wont. Im feeling great today.

My question to all admins and people who have hosted ark servers is this.

What kind of connection do I need to properly host a server. bandwith? upload speed? download speed? wired or wireless?

What kind of advise do you have to someone who is trying to start one. As well as what is all involved. Do I need 2 copies of ark. Do I need 2 gold memberships? do I need 2 tvs for each xbox?

Does it matter if my connection really matters based on the number of people on the server? for example some people limit their servers to 30 because once a server gets to 20+ on the server at one time the ping is at 255.

Would like some info regarding these questions. Please and Thank you

I do not know much about bandwidth or a player limit, but I do know that you only need 1 copy of the game, 1 profile with gold and the other without, and if your tv has multiple HDMI ports, then you will not need a second tv. To save money on the game and your other xbox profile, set your profile with gold's home onto the xbox that will run the ark server and the game will be able to download and your gold membership will be shared with all profiles on the xbox hosting the server.

6 minutes ago, LeBlueDolphin said:

I do not know much about bandwidth or a player limit, but I do know that you only need 1 copy of the game, 1 profile with gold and the other without, and if your tv has multiple HDMI ports, then you will not need a second tv. To save money on the game and your other xbox profile, set your profile with gold's home onto the xbox that will run the ark server and the game will be able to download and your gold membership will be shared with all profiles on the xbox hosting the server.

sweet thanks for that. That saves a lot of money there. Now I just need to know how much data and how fast of a connection

You will need to create a second XBL account and purchase a gold membership for it. You will also need to purchase a second copy of the game. You don't need a second TV. Just connect it to a different HDMI port and change the channel to it if you need to do anything. Remote access can be done using the Xbox App in Windows 10 (and others probably)

The biggest issue you will be facing is that Ark server runs highly unstable. Sometimes it runs great for 2-3 days, sometimes you have to reboot the xbox 5 times a day. The server works fine if you stay below 30 users playing at the same time. But even close to 30 you notice some additional lag. I run my server in a data center with 1Gbit up and down, so can't tell you much about bandwidth requirements. My home network has only 5Mbit up, which is not enough for multiple users for sure.

21 minutes ago, Madlax72 said:

You will need to create a second XBL account and purchase a gold membership for it. You will also need to purchase a second copy of the game. You don't need a second TV. Just connect it to a different HDMI port and change the channel to it if you need to do anything. Remote access can be done using the Xbox App in Windows 10 (and others probably)

The biggest issue you will be facing is that Ark server runs highly unstable. Sometimes it runs great for 2-3 days, sometimes you have to reboot the xbox 5 times a day. The server works fine if you stay below 30 users playing at the same time. But even close to 30 you notice some additional lag. I run my server in a data center with 1Gbit up and down, so can't tell you much about bandwidth requirements. My home network has only 5Mbit up, which is not enough for multiple users for sure.

The guy above said you can share the game and membership with having a one xbox as a home

2 hours ago, TheBullWillWin said:

Hello, Ive been around the ark block here and there. I would like to rant about baD admins, but I wont. Im feeling great today.

My question to all admins and people who have hosted ark servers is this.

What kind of connection do I need to properly host a server. bandwith? upload speed? download speed? wired or wireless?

What kind of advise do you have to someone who is trying to start one. As well as what is all involved. Do I need 2 copies of ark. Do I need 2 gold memberships? do I need 2 tvs for each xbox?

Does it matter if my connection really matters based on the number of people on the server? for example some people limit their servers to 30 because once a server gets to 20+ on the server at one time the ping is at 255.

Would like some info regarding these questions. Please and Thank you

It's the hardware that limits users to 30-32.  You can have the best possible connection but the Xbox itself will still cause the issue.  But at the very least I would say 15-20mb upload and 100mb download...   

6 minutes ago, BigOrangeBalls7 said:

It's the hardware that limits users to 30-32.  You can have the best possible connection but the Xbox itself will still cause the issue.  But at the very least I would say 15-20mb upload and 100mb download...   

so I believe that my apartment can only give me 16-18 mbps. Is that enough to host? also have you split your gold membership and game with one as a home console

2 minutes ago, TheBullWillWin said:

so I believe that my apartment can only give me 16-18 mbps. Is that enough to host? also have you split your gold membership and game with one as a home console

The most important factor is your upload speed. Do a speed test and see where you land. There are a FEW things you can do to mitigate, but the netcode is still really shaky right now.

Whne you inevitably have some issues woth peolle connecting, make sure they have an open NAT type. Port-forwarding on the Server Xbone will also help with some of that.

8 minutes ago, Lobstah said:

The most important factor is your upload speed. Do a speed test and see where you land. There are a FEW things you can do to mitigate, but the netcode is still really shaky right now.

Whne you inevitably have some issues woth peolle connecting, make sure they have an open NAT type. Port-forwarding on the Server Xbone will also help with some of that.

Thanks appreciate the feedback

49 minutes ago, TheBullWillWin said:

Question how much data does a server use in a month?

If you're asking these types of questions I would honestly recommend not trying it.  It probably won't work.  I would try out some other options.  I know that last server really screwed you guys but not all are like that.  

32 minutes ago, BigOrangeBalls7 said:

If you're asking these types of questions I would honestly recommend not trying it.  It probably won't work.  I would try out some other options.  I know that last server really screwed you guys but not all are like that.  

I understand. But I just would like to put it out there because there was a lot of different answers out there. I feel like this is informative for anyone looking to start a server and to see what is involved.

Just now, TheBullWillWin said:

I understand. But I just would like to put it out there because there was a lot of different answers out there. I feel like this is informative for anyone looking to start a server and to see what is involved.

then I would stand by with what I orginally said.  My estimates are to allow for some usage of the net while the server is running.  15mb is barely enough to stream netflix :(

I found an xbox one on craigslist for 100$ (YEah its cheap cause apparently the CD DRIVE dont work) 

I'm going to buy this right now to host my own server.

MY question here is, I understand im going to need a second copy of ark, however do i need xbox live gold to host the ark?

If so that's, still under 200$ but i'm just looking too see what i'm going to be spending.

Thanks

-W00D

50 minutes ago, Elowood said:

I found an xbox one on craigslist for 100$ (YEah its cheap cause apparently the CD DRIVE dont work) 

I'm going to buy this right now to host my own server.

MY question here is, I understand im going to need a second copy of ark, however do i need xbox live gold to host the ark?

If so that's, still under 200$ but i'm just looking too see what i'm going to be spending.

Thanks

-W00D

So apparently you may not need 2 ark games and 2 gold memberships. They say u place the hosting Xbox as home and the one u play on as non home. U sign into both with the same GT. U can than download the ark game between the two and play it. Technically sharing it with the other Xbox. The only problem I see is Internet speed. What's enough?? Seems like 40mbps is common? 

3 hours ago, TheBullWillWin said:

So apparently you may not need 2 ark games and 2 gold memberships. They say u place the hosting Xbox as home and the one u play on as non home. U sign into both with the same GT. U can than download the ark game between the two and play it. Technically sharing it with the other Xbox. The only problem I see is Internet speed. What's enough?? Seems like 40mbps is common? 

How is that even possible? Last time my xbox 360 broke i had to call 18004myxbox and have them do a file transfer to the new system so i had the licences and rights for ownership of my games.....did they remove that on the xbox one? Cause i dont think i can run 2 of the same license.

Can you tell me were you got this information from? I actually didn;t go buy the xbox yet because....100$ is a deal however 35$ for ark and 60$ for a year of gold thats roughly 200$ just to host the server.

And no I have Charter and pay 50$ a month for 60mbs usually hitting 45 mbs download speed and about 5mbs upload speed is that good enough to even host?

25 minutes ago, Elowood said:

How is that even possible? Last time my xbox 360 broke i had to call 18004myxbox and have them do a file transfer to the new system so i had the licences and rights for ownership of my games.....did they remove that on the xbox one? Cause i dont think i can run 2 of the same license.

Can you tell me were you got this information from? I actually didn;t go buy the xbox yet because....100$ is a deal however 35$ for ark and 60$ for a year of gold thats roughly 200$ just to host the server.

And no I have Charter and pay 50$ a month for 60mbs im usually sitting at 50mbs cause my son plays with the wii u online lol.

that might have been pre xbox home settings.... you no longer have to download your profile to the devices

3 minutes ago, BigOrangeBalls7 said:

that might have been pre xbox home settings.... you no longer have to download your profile to the devices

Yeah a friend just told me i can home share 2 differnt xbox one systems and not have to buy a gold account or ark again witch saves roughly 100$, its just im sure my speeds are fine to host i just dont know though last time i hosted a server was for a 2d mmorpg like tibia or ultima lol. and i could roughly handle 100 players but obviously this games different.

8 minutes ago, Elowood said:

Yeah a friend just told me i can home share 2 differnt xbox one systems and not have to buy a gold account or ark again witch saves roughly 100$, its just im sure my speeds are fine to host i just dont know though last time i hosted a server was for a 2d mmorpg like tibia or ultima lol. and i could roughly handle 100 players but obviously this games different.

what is your upload speed?  do you have any throttling restrictions from your ISP?  Unlike a PC server the xbox is extremely limited in QoS so its usually the hardware that fails before the internet.

On 2/6/2016 at 5:24 PM, TheBullWillWin said:

Wrote this guide for another forum just gonna copy-paste it: 

YOU WILL NEED:

• Two Xbox Ones if you intend to play on your server; One Xbox One if you are just setting it up for someone else;

• One Xbox Live Account with Gold ("Gold Account");

• One copy of ARK: Survival Evolved (Game Preview) on the Xbox Live Account with Gold.

• A halfway decent internet connection; ideally with at least 2mb upload dedicated to the server Xbox.

INITIAL SET-UP

1. Set up the Xbox One you'll be using for the server ("ServerBone"). This Xbox will always be on if you are running the server 24/7, and will need to be hardwired to your router, so pick the location in your home/office/sex dungeon based on those two factors.

2. Complete the beginning configuration on the ServerBone. Set up a new Xbox Live account on the ServerBone with the email and gamertag you want for the ServerBone's profile. E.g., "ARKServer15". When it prompts you to get Xbox Live Gold, just hit B to go back and skip that for now.

3. Sign in to the ServerBone with your Gold Account. Under Settings -> Preferences, select "My Home Xbox" and make the ServerBone your home Xbox for the Gold Account. This will notaffect your primary Xbox games/apps. This will probably screw something up if you already GameShare from your Gold Account.

4. Change the profile back to the ServerBone gamertag. You should now be able to access all the games, apps, etc. which are tied to your Gold Account.

5. Go in to My Games & Apps, and the games you own should be on the right-hand side. Select and download ARK: Survival Evolved (Game Preview).

6. Configure the ServerBone settings while you wait, detailed in next section.

SETTINGS FOR SERVER XBONE

• http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-settings: under Settings -> Network Settings, in the middle of the screen you will see your NAT type. It should show as "Open", not "Strict" or "Moderate". If you need to change it, check the link supplied.

• Instant-On: Under Power & Startup, change the Xbox's mode to "Instant-On" if it wasn't already. The other option is "Energy-Saving".

• Turn Off After: Under Settings -> Power -> Turn Off or Restart you want to change this to "Don't turn off automatically" so that the ServerBone stays on indefinitely.

STARTING THE SERVER

So hopefully now you've got everything configured and I didn't leave out a really crucial step which is very possible but likely will be pointed out and edited relatively quickly. Anyway, now you'll want to start up the game and set up the server.

1. Start the game up. Choose "Host/Local Server".

2. Customize the settings how you would like. Read through all the options, as some of them are important depending on how you would like to play and what your plans for the server are.

3. When finished, in the top right select "Host Dedicated Server". The initial load time will take quite a while, that's normal.

4. Once the loading is complete, you'll see a Server Admin menu. Ignore that, run back to your primary Xbone and join the ServerBone through friends.

To add people to the server, have them add the ServerBone's gamertag as a friend, then add them back from the ServerBone. I use the Smartglass App to do several at a time.

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Lobstah said:

Wrote this guide for another forum just gonna copy-paste it: 

YOU WILL NEED:

• Two Xbox Ones if you intend to play on your server; One Xbox One if you are just setting it up for someone else;

• One Xbox Live Account with Gold ("Gold Account");

• One copy of ARK: Survival Evolved (Game Preview) on the Xbox Live Account with Gold.

• A halfway decent internet connection; ideally with at least 2mb upload dedicated to the server Xbox.

INITIAL SET-UP

1. Set up the Xbox One you'll be using for the server ("ServerBone"). This Xbox will always be on if you are running the server 24/7, and will need to be hardwired to your router, so pick the location in your home/office/sex dungeon based on those two factors.

2. Complete the beginning configuration on the ServerBone. Set up a new Xbox Live account on the ServerBone with the email and gamertag you want for the ServerBone's profile. E.g., "ARKServer15". When it prompts you to get Xbox Live Gold, just hit B to go back and skip that for now.

3. Sign in to the ServerBone with your Gold Account. Under Settings -> Preferences, select "My Home Xbox" and make the ServerBone your home Xbox for the Gold Account. This will notaffect your primary Xbox games/apps. This will probably screw something up if you already GameShare from your Gold Account.

4. Change the profile back to the ServerBone gamertag. You should now be able to access all the games, apps, etc. which are tied to your Gold Account.

5. Go in to My Games & Apps, and the games you own should be on the right-hand side. Select and download ARK: Survival Evolved (Game Preview).

6. Configure the ServerBone settings while you wait, detailed in next section.

SETTINGS FOR SERVER XBONE

• http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-settings: under Settings -> Network Settings, in the middle of the screen you will see your NAT type. It should show as "Open", not "Strict" or "Moderate". If you need to change it, check the link supplied.

• Instant-On: Under Power & Startup, change the Xbox's mode to "Instant-On" if it wasn't already. The other option is "Energy-Saving".

• Turn Off After: Under Settings -> Power -> Turn Off or Restart you want to change this to "Don't turn off automatically" so that the ServerBone stays on indefinitely.

STARTING THE SERVER

So hopefully now you've got everything configured and I didn't leave out a really crucial step which is very possible but likely will be pointed out and edited relatively quickly. Anyway, now you'll want to start up the game and set up the server.

1. Start the game up. Choose "Host/Local Server".

2. Customize the settings how you would like. Read through all the options, as some of them are important depending on how you would like to play and what your plans for the server are.

3. When finished, in the top right select "Host Dedicated Server". The initial load time will take quite a while, that's normal.

4. Once the loading is complete, you'll see a Server Admin menu. Ignore that, run back to your primary Xbone and join the ServerBone through friends.

To add people to the server, have them add the ServerBone's gamertag as a friend, then add them back from the ServerBone. I use the Smartglass App to do several at a time.

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot man helps a lot

Archived