PvE server, stealing from inside ones base...

Anarki

So, I wasn't actually around when the incident occurred, so I am just looking for opinion but not looking to 'hunt/abuse' said player.

We have a fairly large base on a PvE (new) server and whilst moving some resources from one building to another, a player decides to run into the building (via an open door, yes I know what you will say, so don't bother being a pedant) and he takes the Giga egg which is housed in our air con room. The room at that time wasn't closed off (it is now). off he goes, a very happy chappy.

So, what do you make of this behaviour, right or wrong? 

I believe my tribe mates attempted to ask for it back and that the culprit had been seen and caught in the act but he denied all knowledge, but still... my question to you is, is this right or wrong and would you do it yourselves? I mean, lets be honest, I could never be arsed to tame on myself.

Also, would you admit to it if you were caught doing it? I'd love to hear your feelings on this.

Sadly it will happen. Pve is more chilled yeah but people will be even more toxic because they know nothing can be done to them in retaliation. I have people coming into my base all the time collecting eggs from my eggers because they can't be bothered to take the time to tame their own. It doesn't bother me so much because I already have fridges full of multiple eggs for kibble and if they asked I'd give them spare, but they don't care. 

I caught one tribe doing it a few days ago, called them out on it and they just gave me abuse. 30 minutes later I seen one of them at an obelisk, I assumed they was waiting for the cool down to end so they could transfer stuff, knowing they wasn't so smart I hung around and watched, sure enough eventually he goes to the console and spends some time there, i went upto it and noticed he had placed them in the tribute area and it was about 3k cp some MCgear and a few hundred polymer, I took it all and walked away. Karma. 

30 minutes ago, YUSHOETMI said:

Sadly it will happen. Pve is more chilled yeah but people will be even more toxic because they know nothing can be done to them in retaliation. I have people coming into my base all the time collecting eggs from my eggers because they can't be bothered to take the time to tame their own. It doesn't bother me so much because I already have fridges full of multiple eggs for kibble and if they asked I'd give them spare, but they don't care. 

I caught one tribe doing it a few days ago, called them out on it and they just gave me abuse. 30 minutes later I seen one of them at an obelisk, I assumed they was waiting for the cool down to end so they could transfer stuff, knowing they wasn't so smart I hung around and watched, sure enough eventually he goes to the console and spends some time there, i went upto it and noticed he had placed them in the tribute area and it was about 3k cp some MCgear and a few hundred polymer, I took it all and walked away. Karma. 

That's not karma, that's revenge. 

It's stealing in PVE so it's obviously wrong. He/she also obviously doesn't care. So make sure the whole server knows who it was and what kind of person he/she is and blow up every and any deal they try to do in the future. i'd go as far as putting in global chat a few times a day who it was and what they did even if they aren't on to make sure all player's new and old know/remember. 

3 hours ago, Anarki said:

So, I wasn't actually around when the incident occurred, so I am just looking for opinion but not looking to 'hunt/abuse' said player.

We have a fairly large base on a PvE (new) server and whilst moving some resources from one building to another, a player decides to run into the building (via an open door, yes I know what you will say, so don't bother being a pedant) and he takes the Giga egg which is housed in our air con room. The room at that time wasn't closed off (it is now). off he goes, a very happy chappy.

So, what do you make of this behaviour, right or wrong? 

I believe my tribe mates attempted to ask for it back and that the culprit had been seen and caught in the act but he denied all knowledge, but still... my question to you is, is this right or wrong and would you do it yourselves? I mean, lets be honest, I could never be arsed to tame on myself.

Also, would you admit to it if you were caught doing it? I'd love to hear your feelings on this.

Well I don t think I would do it cause it s pve. But if that tribe annoys me, I might do it and I would say I did it.

Be more careful with doors and (locked) containers. My tribe mates hated me for yelling at them always to clsoe the doors...but nobody robbed us lol

Im in the same tribe as the OP and I most certainly called them out in global. Needless to say im not going to be surprised at all if an alpha rex gets dropped on their doorstep.(i dont condone kiting but many people on the server are not too fond of them now)

As much as it was partially our fault for not having a second door going to the hatchery(had just demo it to get a baby rex out) i still can call a thief a thief. Is it my fault if i open my door to my house and a mugger decides to make his move because i had the door open to go in inside. 

I don't understand the nature of the question.

Taking things that belong to some one else is morally wrong.

But it is a video game, and since the game allows it, you have no recourse except to be more careful in the future.  

Be sure to let other people on the server know what happened though.  There's no reason a thief shouldn't be called out, and people can choose how they interact with him or her accordingly.

Relationships and reputations matter a lot more in Ark than they do in most other games.

1 hour ago, Shoosty said:

Relationships and reputations matter a lot more in Ark than they do in most other games.

Couldn't agree with you more. I always try to let my tribe know that their actions and words reflect upon the group as a whole. It only takes one person to make the group as a whole detested.

5 hours ago, Joanna said:

We've had this happen a few times, people run in, grab eggs and stuff.  Just shut your doors and lock them in until they give the stuff back or die.

I would suggest keeping valuables on a floor of your base above the ground floor, any ladders or ramps leading up there have a trapdoor or a doorframe/door. That way if someone runs into the base they cannot access valuables and you can still enjoy a nice open ground floor without tons of doors everywhere making it all claustrophobic.

Waiting for someone to die could take a very long time if they have got food and drink on them.

Stealing eggs is petty. People are just too lazy to tame stuff themselves. I've only been on the new servers for about a week, and with two of my friends. Within three days we had the resources to tame a Quetzal. If you focus on following kibble charts, you'll have the resources to tame creatures pretty quick. 

Lets think for one moment if this was real life. There is man made bars on windows that prevent people that have developed bad habits such as theft, from doing bad things. This is called a jail or prison. Now in the real world there are those who believe in right and wrong, and some believe in a gray area which doesn't apply to them. Unfortunately the law of the land does not allow capital punishment in most countries.

In Ark this is quite different and people are a rule unto themselves. In so much that they will do anything within the virtual game and get away with it, with little law or policing. And most think they can get away with it. And a lot do.

Let me tell you a story of A gigasaurus named Tim. Tim loved the ladies, but unfortunately being stuck on the island and being hunted by humans, he did not have much opportunity to ask a female giga to date. One day he was knocked out by a small tribe of humans. His rage was an ember of unquenchable fire, but it slowly died as he succumbed to a half sleep. His aspirations to ask another gigasaurus of the opposite sex out on a date. His dream slowly fading and soon lost he thought. While half awake he was forced to eat his favorite treat. Given full knowledge of the hostile humans that battled with him were treating him nice. Although he warmed up to them he hoped to one day seek his revenge when the time was right.

After weaks of captivity, the gigasaurus was forced to wear a saddle and kill for the tribe so that they could feed the other dinosaurs they had enslaved. 

Although he was treated fairly and with respect from the humans, he never forgot that one day he would rage beyond the chains he was put in and longed to be free.

One day while coming back from a hunt for the tribe he served, he noticed a new dinosaur in the field, a saddle, and distinct color to mark its gender. He blushed. A female gigasaurus within the tribe. Their eyes locked and he found what he onced desired. To date a female gigasaurus.

Suddenly the world seemed a whole like brighter within the tribe of humans on the Island. He spent much time with the other giga. Getting to know her. She grew quite fond of him over time, and after one afternoon they fell in love. As dinos often do. In the care of the humans he started to understand that perhaps life wasn't so bad. He was treated well and he found a girl of his dreams.

One day the two gigas had a baby egg. Proud and happy to have an addition to the family the giga's were excited to what would become of their new born egg. A boy, a girl? Days had gone by as the humans incubated the egg and kept it warm for them. The bond between human seem to solidify as the humans showed the baby the same care and love that he was shown. His rage seemed to finally fade away as he looked to the future and content with what may come.

Then one night someone came into the incubation room. The door was left open. Someone had neglected or allowed the door to be left open. This was the only night the humans forgot to close gates for the night. That very same night a shadow could be seen, and the egg that was still waiting to hatch was stolen. 

The next day when the giga family overheard the humans crying and raging in terrible agony that a baby egg was taken from their protection. Once the gigasauruses learned of this they raged with them. In terrible anger they charged the gates that kept them within the walls of the tribe. They tracked the scent of their almost new born egg to a half built settlement near an obelisk with fridges can be seen from an partially opened door and humans moving about carrying eggs and whipping dinosaurs toward the obelisk.

The scent traced right back to the building with the fridges. With all his rage the gigasaurus and his wife charged the settlement. A new hunt had begun, a new settlement to be demolished and a family that might be reunited once more was about to take place.

In short, no matter how right or wrong you may think stealing is in a video game, karma seems to always find its way back to you. Don't be a douche, don't steal eggs that don't belong to you. 

I for one believe in right and wrong and I see that I continue to do what is right regardless of what virtual or real form I take.

On 9/24/2017 at 2:26 AM, ArkCreation said:

Lets think for one moment if this was real life. There is man made bars on windows that prevent people that have developed bad habits such as theft, from doing bad things. This is called a jail or prison. Now in the real world there are those who believe in right and wrong, and some believe in a gray area which doesn't apply to them. Unfortunately the law of the land does not allow capital punishment in most countries.

In Ark this is quite different and people are a rule unto themselves. In so much that they will do anything within the virtual game and get away with it, with little law or policing. And most think they can get away with it. And a lot do.

Let me tell you a story of A gigasaurus named Tim. Tim loved the ladies, but unfortunately being stuck on the island and being hunted by humans, he did not have much opportunity to ask a female giga to date. One day he was knocked out by a small tribe of humans. His rage was an ember of unquenchable fire, but it slowly died as he succumbed to a half sleep. His aspirations to ask another gigasaurus of the opposite sex out on a date. His dream slowly fading and soon lost he thought. While half awake he was forced to eat his favorite treat. Given full knowledge of the hostile humans that battled with him were treating him nice. Although he warmed up to them he hoped to one day seek his revenge when the time was right.

After weaks of captivity, the gigasaurus was forced to wear a saddle and kill for the tribe so that they could feed the other dinosaurs they had enslaved. 

Although he was treated fairly and with respect from the humans, he never forgot that one day he would rage beyond the chains he was put in and longed to be free.

One day while coming back from a hunt for the tribe he served, he noticed a new dinosaur in the field, a saddle, and distinct color to mark its gender. He blushed. A female gigasaurus within the tribe. Their eyes locked and he found what he onced desired. To date a female gigasaurus.

Suddenly the world seemed a whole like brighter within the tribe of humans on the Island. He spent much time with the other giga. Getting to know her. She grew quite fond of him over time, and after one afternoon they fell in love. As dinos often do. In the care of the humans he started to understand that perhaps life wasn't so bad. He was treated well and he found a girl of his dreams.

One day the two gigas had a baby egg. Proud and happy to have an addition to the family the giga's were excited to what would become of their new born egg. A boy, a girl? Days had gone by as the humans incubated the egg and kept it warm for them. The bond between human seem to solidify as the humans showed the baby the same care and love that he was shown. His rage seemed to finally fade away as he looked to the future and content with what may come.

Then one night someone came into the incubation room. The door was left open. Someone had neglected or allowed the door to be left open. This was the only night the humans forgot to close gates for the night. That very same night a shadow could be seen, and the egg that was still waiting to hatch was stolen. 

The next day when the giga family overheard the humans crying and raging in terrible agony that a baby egg was taken from their protection. Once the gigasauruses learned of this they raged with them. In terrible anger they charged the gates that kept them within the walls of the tribe. They tracked the scent of their almost new born egg to a half built settlement near an obelisk with fridges can be seen from an partially opened door and humans moving about carrying eggs and whipping dinosaurs toward the obelisk.

The scent traced right back to the building with the fridges. With all his rage the gigasaurus and his wife charged the settlement. A new hunt had begun, a new settlement to be demolished and a family that might be reunited once more was about to take place.

In short, no matter how right or wrong you may think stealing is in a video game, karma seems to always find its way back to you. Don't be a douche, don't steal eggs that don't belong to you. 

I for one believe in right and wrong and I see that I continue to do what is right regardless of what virtual or real form I take.

You're the best.

On 9/23/2017 at 8:26 PM, ArkCreation said:

That story was insanely cringeworthy.

Had a few try this on our unofficial PvE - unfortunately for them its a server I rent myself, have full admin of and play daily. We now try and keep doors closed and pin lock anything that can be pin locked.

Failure to respond to my questions when I witness you stealing and you lose all your tames (admincheat destroymytarget) before I ban, drown and loot your body for my stuff back too.

Advantage of having a server admin online/available/active :)

On 9/23/2017 at 8:26 PM, ArkCreation said:

Love the short story....you an author?

Archived