So where's everyone gone?

paulpot

I have left. Probably forever, even if I miss Ark on and off. Some of my reasons are as follows.

# Still so many bugs even after "release". It feels like that there is actually even more now than before. And some bugs get fixed just to return in next update.

# Total lack of customer care/support from WC. Hardly ever correct info or dates.

# The ridiculous low amount of fresh servers on release

# Another paid DLC while core game is still broken. More manpower on DLC's than fixing the game.

# All this makes me belive that the core game will never get finished. Ever.

# I'm not even gonna start on the problems with megatribes.

So all in all, its been fun. But the end for me is here. Not even bothering with fooling around on SP.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. Broken. Kited a mosa and tranked him. Torpor dropped, fed 700 narcos to fill. It never filled or broke 10K. Dropped at the normal time. Fed 300 more. Still did not go up like normal. And, when mutton was put in inventory, refused to eat until derendered. Then it would eat 3 or 4 pieces and stop. Had to render and derender more than 20 times to get it to eat all and tame. Not broken at all.

36 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

ARK gained 24% players the past 30 days (http://steamcharts.com/app/346110#1m) so the game is doing well. Fairly sure most of players moved to unofficial servers tho, since officials are garbage.

Thats true and not strange at all. It's all the players that jus bought the game. The casuals that wont touch a game in EA. But they do much less hours on average and will quit soon.... Check Steamspy. And then the game will pick up more players with the new DLC, wich soon will drop as hard as SE did. Then new DLC and so on until WC cant make more money (nothing wrong with that, It's a business.)

During all this time core game will still be broken and more and more players will leave.

I'm still on 626 and 638, both doing reasonably well so far despite what has happened.

With the duping and other issues still ongoing the Devs might as well not have bothered splitting the servers. New players quickly catch up anyway and many get quite a bit of help from resident players. Hopefully they will undo the split as it is counter productive and effectively redundant.

Reality is I'm just signing in every couple of days to maintain structures and feed the animals at the moment. There isn't that much to do and with my tribe's other members no longer playing very little point in doing what is available.

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

ARK gained 24% players the past 30 days (http://steamcharts.com/app/346110#1m) so the game is doing well. Fairly sure most of players moved to unofficial servers tho, since officials are garbage.

Gained 24% of players compared to what period ? 

Ark can barely reach 50% of players they hit in January 2017...their highest active players since the beginning.

Any healthy gave would usually surpass its alpha/beta/testing numbers upon release.

I've gained 2% of my body weight yesterday. You will tell me I ate a whole pizza on my own.

But if you take into consideration that I played hockey Friday night and lost about 2% of my body weight in water that should change the perspective no ?

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

Gained 24% of players compared to what period ? 

Ark can barely reach 50% of players they hit in January 2017...their highest active players since the beginning.

Any healthy gave would usually surpass its alpha/beta/testing numbers upon release.

I've gained 2% of my body weight yesterday. You will tell me I ate a whole pizza on my own.

But if you take into consideration that I played hockey Friday night and lost about 2% of my body weight in water that should change the perspective no ?

Not too sure, but I'd say it is either that the period from August 25 to September 24 gained 23.97% more average players than the 30 days before that (July 20ish to August 24) or it is strictly monthly based and the % is still being daily updated for the current month and is only based from September 1 to current day... I don't know, check the site I linked above.

• Volunteer Moderator
14 hours ago, ShinDude said:

Thats true and not strange at all. It's all the players that jus bought the game. The casuals that wont touch a game in EA. But they do much less hours on average and will quit soon.... Check Steamspy. And then the game will pick up more players with the new DLC, wich soon will drop as hard as SE did. Then new DLC and so on until WC cant make more money (nothing wrong with that, It's a business.)

During all this time core game will still be broken and more and more players will leave.

12 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Not too sure, but I'd say it is either that the period from August 25 to September 24 gained 23.97% more average players than the 30 days before that (July 20ish to August 24) or it is strictly monthly based and the % is still being daily updated for the current month and is only based from September 1 to current day... I don't know, check the site I linked above.

That chart says Last 30 Days, but on the 1st of every month it starts back at +/-0 So I believe it's showing a 25.11% gain since 1st September.

The stats makes sense right now and ShinDude is wrong in that it's all the players that just bought the game, it's not. There will be a fair portion of them that are new players that won't play an EA game until it's released, however, think about the launch situation of new servers vs legacy.

The game was due for release 8th August. People knew there were new servers coming and people knew that some legacy servers were going to be wiped. Many of those players had already decided back then that they were going to leave legacy and start a fresh on new servers. Some of those people would have decided during July to quit playing until official release on 8th Aug as they would see no point in continuing on a legacy server that they would be abandoning in a few weeks anyway. Therefore numbers plummet in July and that's why you see a big drop of 5,000+ players.

Then August arrives and the release is delayed until 29th August, right at the end of the month. More people decide to stop playing until the new servers release. Closer to the time the legacy server deletions are revealed, this would have caused some people to either quit completely if they had no intention of starting on new servers, or would have caused some people to stop until new servers are released as they now no longer had a choice but to move to new servers. Therefore numbers drop even further by another almost 7,000.

Then August 29th arrives, the full game is launched and many of those that stopped playing in July/August return to play on the new servers, along with all the new people that have bought ARK because they don't like to buy into EA games and therefore September sees a large increase of players as expected and we currently have 8,700+ rise. But it is not just new players, the majority are likely to be those that stopped in July/Aug to await new servers.

On 9/25/2017 at 4:03 AM, Lewiatan said:

Regarding current increase of playerbase I think those players are ones that stopped playing due to annoucement of wiping legacy servers and they're coming back.  I believe people who were interested in ARK have already bought it, therefore there is no big increase of new, post launch,  players.

I played legacy ps4 and have stopped playing due to the fact that they screwed us on the rag servers (under 10 always packed) and they will get wiped eventually. Would love to play the new DLC but thee only  give us a handful of servers that are always packed, when Aberration comes out my guess is it will be the same. As for coming back i doubt i'll ever play again like i used to. I miss the game i do but soo much extra free time now.

I wish I am wrong ... I still see a tendency to have fewer and fewer servers online as time passes, also, on average, the number of people playing online is dropping, not as sharply as the available servers. Sadly these chars go back just a month, so no way to show the +50k that used to be online by January 2017.
https://arkservers.net/stats/
Answering the original question, some people who used to play on the now legacy servers is migrating to either the new cluster or to private servers, but most are just switching to other games. Also, many people that joined the new cluster does not play as often as they did before because they do not really like re-doing all the grind required to have what they had on legacy. Some stuff is out of reach, for example, the BPs we used to get from fishing before so many re-balancing.
Using the chart from steam to estimate the player base is misleading because it only counts people who just run the game, including people who play on local or just does not connect to any server, or people who is playing for a few minutes per day (refreshing bases, for example). Still you can see we are far from the max number of player on January 2017, before the highly unpopular flyer re-balancing.
http://steamcharts.com/app/346110
I am still playing on a single, legacy server, not fast traveling anymore because I can't afford to loss my only toon in the tribe. I hope my server get wiped on the next pass so I can get the saved file and keep playing on private until I get really bored. Most people on our server is waiting for this, had WC released the saved file from our server, we had moved to our private server sooner.

Giving up. A lot of them were returning people from forever ago that wanted another shot at either alpha or just seeing if the game had changed any since they last tried. The ones leaving now (from who I have talked to) either 1. cant find anywhere to build 2. are being wiped 3. are glitching and bugging to the point where they would rather follow the Destiny 2 hype train over ark. or 4. are getting the reality that they wont get alpha just because there are new servers. Also factor in the possibility that they might be using player dedicated now since the nitrado servers (on console anyways)

1 hour ago, DairyFarmer said:

The game is a huge time commitment and people lost interest, that and the cheaters 

For PvE the cheating didn't affect other players. Wildcard's reaction to the cheaters on the other hand was abysmal.

"We're segregating you from the new officials."

"But cheating only negatively impacts honest PvP players. We don't care about the cheaters!"

"Too bad! And we're also going to give you guys the 30-minute wait time for uploads as well! Take that innocent bystanders! Mwahahaha!"

Reminds me of the whole DRM situation. Only really gets in the way of legitimate owners of games. Pirates strip it away and just play the games. Dupers moved to the new cluster and just built themselves back up with duping.

Archived