So where's everyone gone?

paulpot

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Toni said:

I can't talk for the consoles. But on PC, the reason is simply...there are way too much servers for the amount of players.    14000 Servers for an average of about 50 000 player in peak time.

So average player per Server is something about 3.5 players.  

If you have 4 players...you have already more than average.

I already suggested a solution to that to wildcard (One time licence for dedicated servers), which would solve this problem completely.

There is about 2000 (if that) official servers. Key word being official. 

WC has zero cost and only gains money when people HOST THEIR SERVERS.

Paying a monthly fee to host = Paying a one time licence for dedicated servers. 

6 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hi, again

Could be what Jeremy said in his interview. I do not want to watch it again because it upset me. But he said something like. Ark attracts people that like to kick down sand castles. At some point all ark players get disappointed. Guess the hammer came down on me.

That mentality is why I will only ever play Single Player or private PvE server.

5 minutes ago, Shadex said:

The official server I play on is full every night I get on. We did lose some people since launch but I have also noticed that the communities have been a lot more pleasant since launch so take from that what you will. I am enjoying my time a lot more now than in beta. 

Are you on console or PC?  PC official (even legacy) have always fared better than console because the player base is wider and because exiting from legacy on PC is infinitely easier than exiting from console.

For my part, the official PVE Xbox server I played on was not purged during release.  We usually counted 30-40 players on during peak play hours and could spike as high as 70 on Evoevent weekends.  There was a thriving community that traded etc.  After it became apparent that WC had zero intent of supporting the legacy system, everyone bailed.  Numbers dropped to 10-15 during peak play, including Evoevents.  Last week, I gave up, merged my single person tribe with a friendly tribe (so they could get my stuff easily), and then swam out into the middle of the ocean to die.  I will NEVER go back.

Players who were interested in the survival/end game content aspect of this game have zero reason to continue on official servers in the legacy program because all those servers will eventually go away.  The whole point of playing official PVE on console was to be part of the trading and breeding community (which you don't get through unofficial or single player).

It seems to me legacy is dead on xbox, we've claimed handfuls of Dino's in the last few days from people that are either leaving or just moving to the new servers. 

WC themselves admitted they weren't supporting the legacy stuff so it's no surprise people have left.. I just hope the new servers dont follow the same path. 

A group of us from our legacy server are playing 7 Days To Die during most of our game time now. Still mess around in ARK a few days a week. One of the many nice things about that game is that no matter how far you get into the game you can still end up getting your butt kicked. Especially with the mods that are out there.

(PS4)Our entire Tribe of about 10 people stopped playing after release, there is one or two in our tribe keeping some dinos alive but that is it. Everyone on my friends list (20+) have all pretty much stopped playing completely. Good news is alot more free time. I'm not ranting about it, i put 1000+ hours into this game it has more then paid for itself. I may come back in the winter but will most likely be taking a much longer break from the game. You don't realize how much of your life its being spent on it until you stop playing. They did in my opinion handle the release badly, but i appreciate the free time they have given me by doing so.

6 hours ago, Voidstar said:

aberration is their only chance to pull this off...and after the aberration launch of course getting better at communication and correcting what you mentioned...if they screw stuff up at aberration too and still don t solve most of the really bad problems...they will be in big trouble..

To be honest, I have no hope they would handle Abberation release properly and improve communication. I bet Abberation will be delayed on PC by 3-4 days and on consoles over a week.

3 hours ago, Teddansen said:

It seems to me legacy is dead on xbox, we've claimed handfuls of Dino's in the last few days from people that are either leaving or just moving to the new servers. 

WC themselves admitted they weren't supporting the legacy stuff so it's no surprise people have left.. I just hope the new servers dont follow the same path. 

Mid-to-Long term...they inevitably will. I mean WC said it costs them 100000$ per month to run the servers. Once the DLC money stream wears off, they get no further revenue but costs are still there. 

I keep my legacy timers refreshed and Dino's fed but that's about it. I joined one of my Allies tribes from my legacy server and moved to Ragnarok with them.

We had plenty of fun but it's just not the same to me, so after a few weeks of playing with them, I decided to take a long break from the game and see how things unfold.

I miss certain aspects of the game but overall I've moved on to other things and started playing more WoT.  I might come back to new servers after awhile but at the moment, I have no motivation to keep playing. 

Short answer: People is just playing other games, long answer, well, I made a post about this a week ago: 

At that time, I was noticing the alarming rate at which PC Ark servers are shrinking.
The worse late change they made, one that turn out most people on our PvE server, was timer to ARK transfer.
People is finally adapting to all the changes just by switching to other games.
All other times, as Moderator would tell you, people will adapt to the forced changes, but there is a breaking point when people no longer wants to adapt.
ARK reached that point shortly before release by adding that nasty timer AND removing legacy servers. Thanks to this timer, most people were unable to save their stuff.
The game is just dying, I am one of the very few hardcore players on my legacy server. I even stopped fast traveling as Wild Card is yet to fix the lost Character issue and I am the last man standing on my tribe. I guess when Wild Card finally shut down this server, they will just loss another player.

11 minutes ago, paulpot said:

don't get caught starting that  infronf of LouSpowells 

Say whatever you want...but if your statement is in direct conflict with hard data, I'm going to point it out.

http://steamcharts.com/app/346110

What devtax said was providing empirical data based on the server they play on. That's good info to have, but it's slightly different than asking where everyone is going when people aren't going anywhere. Numbers have been steadily increasing since release, and the data indicates this trend will continue. On a daily basis though, some servers will have higher populations than others dependent on the days the players can be active. 

Well, even the chart from Steam show how people started to move to other games just after the flyer nerf ... just select 1year and you will find out the long term trend.
There was a peak after release, but interest waned rather quickly this time, just 2 weeks before dropping to levels before release. To be honest, most of the former player base is mostly gone, or just logging in a few times per week to refresh bases. I bet once WC kills all legacy serve you will see a huge drop on player base even on the steam chart.

24 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Well, even the chart from Steam show how people started to move to other games just after the flyer nerf ... just select 1year and you will find out the long term trend.
There was a peak after release, but interest waned rather quickly this time, just 2 weeks before dropping to levels before release. To be honest, most of the former player base is mostly gone, or just logging in a few times per week to refresh bases. I bet once WC kills all legacy serve you will see a huge drop on player base even on the steam chart.

I'll take that bet. What's the wager?

Got over 1,000 hours on official and can say I've moved on to unofficial servers and will never ever look back. Unofficial servers with 20+ people run smoother than official with 5 people. The difference is almost laughable. With the ridiculous rules that official pve has with no flying or ground carry which makes certain dinos literally worthless and the grind thats on par with an asian MMO...ya, no thanks. I imagine theres a lot that are doing the same.

Archived