Legacy Server Looting Epidemic?

Nim

Our official PvE legacy servers are suddenly near constantly being combed by no-good scoundrels who demo, steal, kill, grief, pillar, and claim whatever they can.

This is puzzling to me because:

• it happened abruptly
  • it happened at the same time between 3 servers
  • it's on legacy servers (which soon enough will all be gone, so why bother amassing "wealth?")
  • the last I knew, it was impossible to claim dinos (an update where tamed dinos despawn until the timer going up, that seems to have been disabled and re-enabled multiple times....)

A looter on Scorched said he resells all his ill-gotten gains for metal ingots, but why bother with legacy? He said he keeps the stuff he doesn't have, so I'm confident he's somewhat new to the game. I wasn't able to catch the Steam names of any of the looters I encountered so can't say whether they all know each other/are in the same tribe.

They demoed some of our stuff with low timers (spikes, greenhouse, crop plots, etc), broke into our bases through windows and wasted our gas. They hit half the remaining people on our Island server and pillared a huge area. Scorched also has gaps in it, but not much pillaring there. I know, you're thinking "well why did those players allow their timers to go up?" but that's not the point. The players have been playing this way for a long time now (not using this as an excuse).

The point is, multiple PvE legacy servers are suddenly being raided at the same time, and quite possibly by the same people or by people who are acquainted with each other.

Is this happening to anyone else's legacy server? If not, beware. Playing once or twice a week might not cut it if your server is targeted by these people.

Why does it matter if people are being looted? They let their timers run down the game will deleted everything itself anyway so other people may as well get it.
And no dinos are perfectly claimable, if you are within render distance when the timer hits zero nothing changes, you walk around and claim everything you want, demo what you need to to get access to stuff so you have time to pack it all up, then when your done leave render and everything else will auto demo.

I myself have picked up some great loot from people who have left over the last 2 weeks, i sure as hell dont need anything at all anymore, i have more stuff than i can store, but it makes no sense to let it all go to waste. and to you point that theres no point collecting "wealth" you may as well get it now, then continue to play if your server goes down with the unofficial save of it.

And playing once or twice a week does infact " cut it "  they only need to log in once every 7 days to stop dino / wood timers running out, if you cant manage that you dont deserve your stuff to begin with.

You sure it's actually people that demo stuff? As far as I know buildingpieces are now automatically destroyed when no-one is around when the countdown hits 0.

We have bases on 3 different legacy servers and we just assigned one day of the week to visit them all. That day we also feed everything. Creatures with low food on our main server gets fed twice a week.

Hey Nim, how you doing? Couple weeks ago, I logged on a sunday morning to feed/reset timers. Everything was fine. Came back tuesday morning to find all the glass in the base gone. Checked food levels, they were fine. internet went down and could not get back on until sometime saturday. Shrugged my shoulders and said I am done with legacy servers. Not sure if my base is still there, or demoed. Does not matter.

As to what you mentioned about someone doing that, that is just... really... what is the point for that guy to do that?

You guys still don't get this? 

They sell these virtual dino's and stuff for real money. On facebook, on private websites, everywhere. 

The people who buy it are either ill informed of legacies eventual imminent destruction, confident that there will always be legacy servers, or willing to amass the stuff now for when they get their save file. 

Me personally, I am going out with a bang with my dino's on legacy and dropping and letting my valuable items despawn. If you weren't willing to trade for it before you don't deserve it now is my line of thinking. 

I have fought a level 40 Wild Giga with my Giga and now last night fought a level 85 Giga. I lost 21k HP but was able to put it down before it put me down. Lol. I will keep fighting Giga's with my Giga's until I lose. I sent 5 of my wolves and my 3 Allo's on follow, attack target, and aggressive last night and let them go wild through redwoods. I let my three thyla's go crazy through the swamp as well as one of the Giga's. 

This morning I set 3 of my lower Boss Rex's (ones i used for medium brood) loose on the eco system. 

I don't unclaim so they will probably despawn before they are able to be claimed. 

This is the time to try everything you wanted to try. Tonight I am walking our 145 kibble tamed Golem (currently a level 260 with 14k HP and 450% melee) into the Ocean to reek havoc. I am going to go to the hard water cave and what happens, happens. 

Go nuts people if you don't want the save file and either want to leave the game or go 100% official/new servers. Go out like a lion!

We had a nice base on our legacy PvE server, some lovely dino's with lovely mutations but our tribe took the decision to move on. I still have the server on my favourites list but it constantly sat 1/70 so I am guessing a lot of people have moved on too.

If that 1 person is collecting the lot on that server, fair play, let them have fun. 

I don't know if this is the case - people say the legacy will be deleted soon - but will it really, or is it that it wont receive support as there is clearly a difference here.

Anyway, back to your main point, if you leave your base then people will take advantage... and that reminds me, I need to make a topic on here that is similar to a certain extent.

1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

They sell these virtual dino's and stuff for real money. On facebook, on private websites, everywhere. 

The people who buy it are either ill informed of legacies eventual imminent destruction, confident that there will always be legacy servers, or willing to amass the stuff now for when they get their save file. 

Well of course that was happening in Early Access (despite claims that WC put an end to it). It will happen if its not already happening on new servers as well. Just give some time to the breeders to get a few interesting stats / mutations. 

No one sane needs 1000 gigas or wyrverns...expect if you give me 20$ for each...heck yeah i'll spend every second of my life making more of them. 

5 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

It will happen if its not already happening on new servers as well.

It's already happening. I see it all the time on facebook. I left one site that allowed it openly, the other site says they ban members when they see it but I still see it on a daily basis. This is why people dupe. There's thousands of dollars to be made from playing a game you are going to play anyway. If I'm WC, I'd hit them hard for copyright infringement but since they don't seem to have the money to even fix the most basic issues or hire a proper support staff they definitely don't have the money for legal fees associated with suing these bums.

So it will keep happening and the people who try to play this game for enjoyment and the right way will eventually leave because they can't play the game at all because they won't be able to compete with the people who have money to splash in PvP or won't be able to get on and stay on the server's from constant DDOS crashes and duping rollbacks. official will die leaving only private servers which are crap shoots at best. 

2 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

THIS

Facebook trade groups are full of these kinds of posts, most of which are people getting scammed over and over.

I'm sure there are other trade forums and websites that are used as well.

Player dedicated or rented is the only fun way to play this game anymore. 4000 hours on officials and I can happily say I will never go back. On officials, people tend to forget it's a game and have fun. I mean if you were going to get together and play a game of football would you want to just be randomly assigned a bunch of people to play with or would you want to find a group of player that wanted to play by the same rules as you and shared the same values? Trust me player dedicated is the only way to play this game, especially if you have any real life at all.

The only way some one can demo or claim dinos is if their timer has run down, and if their timer has run down, they auto demo the moment they go out of tender range.  So some one either loots them or they go to waste.  I'd rather they got looted than went to waste, personally.

And vulturing has always been a valid playstyle/technique in PvE.

Why is everyone assuming all Legacy Servers left are getting deleted also? Can someone post a link of WC stating as much to verify this claim? My understanding is that they pulled down all the servers they needed to. I have not personally seen any information to justify this mass paranoia.

If you let the timers run down of your stuff then you do not care enough about it. Why should your dino's starve to death or get deleted when others can benefit from them. People are so incredibly selfish. They do not want to take care of their stuff but they also do not want other to have it either. Good thing this is beyond their control. 

Just now, Cinnamongod said:

Why is everyone assuming all Legacy Servers left are getting deleted also? Can someone post a link of WC stating as much to verify this claim? My understanding is that they pulled down all the servers they needed to. I have not personally seen any information to justify this mass paranoia.

They won't come right out and say it but they did say they would review all server's every 2 to 3 months and re-purpose as needed. Most of these legacy server's are maxing at 10-12 people during peak hours. It takes tens of thousands maybe even hundreds to operate these server's so they will cut costs where they can and where they can is by wiping low pop servers. 

46 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

They won't come right out and say it but they did say they would review all server's every 2 to 3 months and re-purpose as needed. Most of these legacy server's are maxing at 10-12 people during peak hours. It takes tens of thousands maybe even hundreds to operate these server's so they will cut costs where they can and where they can is by wiping low pop servers. 

Really WC could wipe whatever server they want.

OP, it's because people sell them for cash. IRL cash. I just stumbled upon a group of sellers the other day. 

Archived