In search of myths... are there any decent alpha tribes left out there?

MattBradock

Yes, in my server the alpha tribe is pretty cool. They let my tribe and other tribes grow and now we formed an alliance in the server. Unfortunately, with the alliance's tribe's members we reached the server cap, and so we tell every new player to leave the server so we have open slots for us. If they don't leave, we kill them, but the reasons are justified.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Aristarchus said:

Yes, in my server the alpha tribe is pretty cool. They let my tribe and other tribes grow and now we formed an alliance in the server. Unfortunately, with the alliance's tribe's members we reached the server cap, and so we tell every new player to leave the server so we have open slots for us. If they don't leave, we kill them, but the reasons are justified.

Smells like one of those many  pretend passive PVP servers where everyone is too busy being polite to each other to fight. What's your server number I'll make your life interesting.

I don't know guys, what you expect. Even WC is doing moves to remove these decent alphas.

They opened low amount of servers = less space for the people = only tribes, which are very strong (aggressive) are prevailing. 

+ having small tribes on your server is no benefit for alphas. They are taking resources, drops, space (SPACE was biggest issue on new ragnaroks, we had to kill/destroy all that/stone bases, because our people couldn't connect, because of full server) + they are easy targets for griefers = griefers will gladly come back. 

And btw: 70 tribe limit is false, we have around 120 people in each tribe without any problems. (Someone said on discord that it is 140 now, I can't confirm.)

They no longer exist. I've looked through multiple Ragnarok servers on PS4, EU, and after playing on each server for a few days, building up and exploring, I've been ruthlessly wiped, caged, spawn-blocked, etc etc.

There's no balance on officials, big tribes always prevail. Small/solo tribes can't even hide and play the game because there's literally nowhere to hide, not even on a huge map like Ragnarok.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, SirVantaNite said:

Id love to find a decent official alpha. Its rough trying to solo with all these aggressive alphas.

With the current turret situation/transition period i doubt there will be any Alpha tribes that will allow for any chance for other tribes to set up FoBs on their server(s). So expect aggression even from what others would normally consider "decent alpha".

23 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

With the current turret situation/transition period i doubt there will be any Alpha tribes that will allow for any chance for other tribes to set up FoBs on their server(s). So expect aggression even from what others would normally consider "decent alpha".

Indeed.. our server actually allowed a group of 4 guys to stay,  they seemed genuine,  but we told them ANYTHING SLIGHTLY ODD and they'd get wiped.. nature of ark,  for every "good" tribe of a few, there are ten troll groups of 2 to 3 each.. it's a shame too, I feel for the "good" guys,  been there..

Joined a pvp server before going back on pve  in october, island map, went to carno island swimming got into carno island cave some dude was walling it off and setting up turrets at entrance, depleted his turrets (dude had like 200 bullets on each so it took me a while) used his c4 to wipe him till the last foundation.  Does that makes me a griefer? I mean the dude was about to metal seal one cave and artifact.

4 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:

Joined a pvp server before going back on pve  in october, island map, went to carno island swimming got into carno island cave some dude was walling it off and setting up turrets at entrance, depleted his turrets (dude had like 200 bullets on each so it took me a while) used his c4 to wipe him till the last foundation.  Does that makes me a griefer? I mean the dude was about to metal seal one cave and artifact.

It's pvp, there aren't any rules. You weren't right or wrong and neither was he. You both were just doing what you wanted.

Part of the problem is that alpha/megatribes don't have time to sort out who is an asset to the server and who is a drain, needy or annoying. A lot of small tribes that we have let build on our server either bring unwanted attention from other servers and then try to use our server as a shield to protect them. Or they act cool and then get bored and start trolling us or other tribes on the server. After a while it just becomes easier to say "move along" to new tribes. 

1 hour ago, davidcostarica said:

Good thing about this turret change is that some alpha tribes that relied on mass turrets as their only defense now will have to prove how alpha they are. Think is time to go back to pvp with guerilla warfare style.

Keep telling yourself that, but dont come back later to complain that whole map has been turret-towered and that new turrets are too strong.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, SirVantaNite said:

Id love to find a decent official alpha. Its rough trying to solo with all these aggressive alphas.

There aren't any. They are all puppets, whose strings are pulled by more powerful tribes. If they seem nice, they are just waiting for the right time to raptor you.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:07 AM, DarthaNyan said:

Keep telling yourself that, but dont come back later to complain that whole map has been turret-towered and that new turrets are too strong.

I know this was a while ago, and likely, you've changed your opinion in the face of reality, but this post provided me with a very good amount of laughter. Like I actually spit my tea all over my monitor. 

15 minutes ago, iAmE said:

I know this was a while ago, and likely, you've changed your opinion in the face of reality, but this post provided me with a very good amount of laughter. Like I actually spit my tea all over my monitor. 

It is still a possibility especially on TheIsland since it is not as big other maps. Protecting all the drop locations with turret towers sounds like a good start for better cross-server protection.

is it a lot of work to do? definitely

7 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

It is still a possibility especially on TheIsland since it is not as big other maps. Protecting all the drop locations with turret towers sounds like a good start for better cross-server protection.

is it a lot of work to do? definitely

Well, first off, it's been done, and wiped by the developers (On Official). Second, I was mainly laughing at the comment about the new turrets being too strong. I dunno. Something about the PvPer in me couldn't resist edging in a sideways comment about it because the new turrets are still so woefully inadequate to the job they're expected to do that I still pretty frequently blow bunkers with heavies on them with just flak and a shield.

20 minutes ago, iAmE said:

that I still pretty frequently blow bunkers with heavies on them with just flak and a shield.

So i guess we can expect another clamping script on items and BPs Soon™ that'll restrict durability and/or armor values on equipment as well - a logical continuation of their previous clamping on weapons. I wish developers actually re-worked whole BP system at some point with diminishing returns the higher the quality instead of bandaid clamping, but thats a discussion for another topic.

1 hour ago, iAmE said:

Well, first off, it's been done, and wiped by the developers (On Official).

Sad, but it is yet another instance of lazy bandaid "solution" that not even a solution, but an artificial restriction in a sandbox game. Could have made drops' locations random to avoid having to deal with these situations.

4 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

So i guess we can expect another clamping script on items and BPs Soon™ that'll restrict durability and/or armor values on equipment as well - a logical continuation of their previous clamping on weapons. I wish developers actually re-worked whole BP system at some point with diminishing returns the higher the quality instead of bandaid clamping, but thats a discussion for another topic.

Not really. The turret mechanic simply doesn't work as the developers intended. For a variety of reasons. They've tried a whole variety of band-aids, between gutting the movement speed on mounts to reduce the viability of Suicide Mounts, to Characters receiving fairly substantial movement speed nerfs. The reality is, I could do the bunkers with a prim riot shield just as easily. I would just need more shields. 

Until the developers address the overall problem with turrets (They don't scale with dino or item quality), Turrets will inevitably be outclassed by those particular mechanics. The last time auto turret damage was addressed was in an era where good brontos had, literally, a fifth the HP that they do now, and turtles (The Stego of their era) had under half the HP that Stegos had now. Also Veggie cakes literally didn't exist then.

The problem lies in the turret mechanic, largely, just being outscale because they don't scale, unlike every other mechanic in the game. 

4 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Sad, but it is yet another instance of lazy bandaid "solution" that not even a solution, but an artificial restriction in a sandbox game. Could have made drops' locations random to avoid having to deal with these situations.

I wouldn't disagree at all, but given that it took years to fix the drops landing in unobtainable locations (IE falling into mesh), on drops without random spawns, it would take a major effort I don't see them taking to make that all work. For minimum return.

They could circumvent the entire issue, and solve many others, by simply making defense a valid and competitive option as compared to offense. 

Took me about an hour of searching on pvp official network to find a server with an alpha that allowed new tribes to join. Now whether that will remain as the turret nerf goes into effect... I dont know. 

But, for now, yes there are and its not really hard to find them. Just follow one bit of advice. When you first join, be cool, dont build a base, and find out where you can build. If you get no reply after many attempts don't spam chat, just move on to another server.

27 minutes ago, jpcab said:

There are official pvp orp servers? ?

yep, just one EU official cluster though. 

I'm hoping that they release more though, because in my opinion its the only way PVP, is even slightly balenced, and actually happens.

The problem introduced by making "viable defences" is that anything that can defend your base while your offline, is extremely overpowered when considering online defence, or also when used on offence. 

a turret that is powerful enough to defend offline bases would actually ensure that no pvp happens at all. 

I feel like orp is one of the most viable solutions to all this, without getting complicated. 

Archived