In search of myths... are there any decent alpha tribes left out there?

MattBradock

I'm losing faith in the game.
After visiting about 10 servers in the last 2 weeks, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the old days, where official PvP servers with decent Alpha tribes that actually made sensible rules and let smaller tribes coexist with them existed, are forever gone. Server after server, regardless of map or age, home to a megatribe that neither lets you build nor lets you even leave for another server, blocking even the obelisks. And on some, fresh spawns find themselves surrounded by spike walls because they blocked all player spawn points. Are there still ANY half-decent alpha tribes left, or the only way to play Ark without going full retard and/or joining a 20man+ tribe is on unofficials or PvE? Is there any damn chance for me and my 2 buddies to build something that'll still be there 2 days later?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there are...but there aren't many on officials anymore. The "friendly" alpha tribe mentality started to die on official servers about a year and a half ago. Many of the Ark players who enjoy the idea of having gentleman's rules in PvP moved on to moderated unofficial servers...or in many cases whitelisted servers. 

What you are looking for exists, you'll just have to look in a different place.

7 minutes ago, TuxedoSpartan said:

Official PvP Server XXX on Xbox One has some cool Alphas. We're currently transferring over to it now.

The hard part is that the moment an official server has a reputation for having cool alphas, uncool alphas view this as a weakness and come in to destroy the community and take it over. A lot of folks who find a server like that actively avoid talking about it to prevent this.

You can mostly than the sprawling maps and easier ability to raid.  It's difficult to control servers with maps as big a center/rag when you have at least 5 greif/troll tribes joining a week that need quelling.  It only makes it worse when the tribes you've been kind to end up harboring your enemies and you have to initiate a purge.  It makes for a very jaded experience for the alpha.

Just now, LouSpowells said:

The hard part is that the moment an official server has a reputation for having cool alphas, uncool alphas view this as a weakness and come in to destroy the community and take it over. A lot of folks who find a server like that actively avoid talking about it to prevent this.

We asked for rules, and they're pretty hard on anyone who wipes someone without a legitimate reason. Also, if you threaten them in chat or continue to verbally attack, they will wipe you. Plus, they immediately invite anyone who joins who they haven't seen before to a party. I don't know what happens if you don't state your intentions on the server. I think they're cool cause they let us use their Wyvern trap.

38 minutes ago, TuxedoSpartan said:

We asked for rules, and they're pretty hard on anyone who wipes someone without a legitimate reason. Also, if you threaten them in chat or continue to verbally attack, they will wipe you. Plus, they immediately invite anyone who joins who they haven't seen before to a party. I don't know what happens if you don't state your intentions on the server. I think they're cool cause they let us use their Wyvern trap.

That's the type of PvP community I miss on Officials. If there was a way to enforce that playstyle, I would probably go back and spend more time on official. That's kind of how it works on most unofficial PvP servers I've played on, but it's something that's actually enforceable.

3 hours ago, Cronics said:

Legacy 51 has a cool alpha and a community that you speak of the whole community and Alpha gets together to run off Griefers in Raiders

Griefers is a pretty vague term. I like to Solo PvP, which means taming lots of Pteras, building lots of 2x1 Stone base with forges and smithys, and then raiding with grenades. Kinda like Kishko, I don't kill passive tames, only take what I need, and prefer to online raid. People call me a griefer and a troll, even though I'm just PvP'ing.

The problem lies with the current tribe cap. It is hard to compete with 70 players in one tribe but Wild Card seems to think this is an acceptable and balanced figure. 

A while ago Wildcard tested a mode where tribes were restricted to 10 players each and each server had 140 players on them. It was great fun, felt like a new game. The PVP was very competitive and fun.

15 hours ago, TuxedoSpartan said:

Griefers is a pretty vague term. I like to Solo PvP, which means taming lots of Pteras, building lots of 2x1 Stone base with forges and smithys, and then raiding with grenades. Kinda like Kishko, I don't kill passive tames, only take what I need, and prefer to online raid. People call me a griefer and a troll, even though I'm just PvP'ing.

Well a lot of people will see you as a griefer because you are attacking and raiding them without reason. Farm hours and hours and hours so you have anything just to have someone come by and take it all from you. And then call it PVP.....

10 minutes ago, Cronics said:

Well a lot of people will see you as a griefer because you are attacking and raiding them without reason. Farm hours and hours and hours so you have anything just to have someone come by and take it all from you. And then call it PVP.....

I only take what I need (i.e. grenades, ammo, armor), and only blow up what I need to get in, so maybe a wall or two.

43 minutes ago, TuxedoSpartan said:

I only take what I need (i.e. grenades, ammo, armor), and only blow up what I need to get in, so maybe a wall or two.

That's the PvP I don't understand...stealing grenades and armor to blow up doors and steal grenades and armor. I'd rather spend 30 minutes farming for the mats than spend 30 minutes farming for the mats to spend 10 minutes blowing into a small base to steal the mats.

That's just me though. My favorite raids have felt more like a "Capture the Flag" raids. You hear a big tribe has a blueprint you really want, and you spend a few hours in an all out war to break in and steal it...no white flags, no "Ok, you guys win, here it is!", no offline stuff...just two or more big tribes beating the crap out of each other until the job is done or lost.

15 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

That's just me though. My favorite raids have felt more like a "Capture the Flag" raids. You hear a big tribe has a blueprint you really want, and you spend a few hours in an all out war to break in and steal it...no white flags, no "Ok, you guys win, here it is!", no offline stuff...just two or more big tribes beating the crap out of each other until the job is done or lost.

This is what I expected ark PVP to be like.

On 20/09/2017 at 9:12 PM, LouSpowells said:

On 21/09/2017 at 1:28 AM, Fishinghawk said:

try legacy server 45. alphas there are cool af, and they wont wipe you for no reason.  I know legacy server seem like a bad choice, bu honestly im having more fun there than on the new officials.

Till you get wiped in three months 

On 21/09/2017 at 9:16 PM, Cronics said:

No reason?  The reason is pvp,  am I supposed to speak to every tribe,  cause an argument just to raid them?  what do you walk round on call of duty saying oh I can't shoot him he hasn't done anything to me?  

The reason is fun. People raid for fun.  

The main reason I usually have for attacking someone is that their Base is badly designed,  it hurts my eyes and I want to show them where their weak points are and how to build a proper Base. Or that they are taming too much stuff without building enough defences and I want to help them get their priorities right 

On 9/21/2017 at 5:25 PM, LouSpowells said:

That's the PvP I don't understand...stealing grenades and armor to blow up doors and steal grenades and armor. I'd rather spend 30 minutes farming for the mats than spend 30 minutes farming for the mats to spend 10 minutes blowing into a small base to steal the mats.

This is the intended PVP for the game, but as you said, public servers.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:41 PM, xdevtax said:

This is what I expected ark PVP to be like.

Lou is right, check out unofficial. You'll find exactly what you're looking for.

Archived