Cold base and greenhouse questions

murk117

29 minutes ago, ducttapefixeseverything said:

A wild Mez appears! We are getting well set up and anxiously awaiting the breeding queen. Greenhouse soon to come. I saw something where some guys put a beehive in their greenhouse. Does it help the honey production at all? Cause they definitely thought It did.

No, it doesn't. 

Cool. So much disinformation spread by trolls. I figured it would have been reflected on the wiki page if it did anything. I did have small hope it was an unknown side effect, something passed from the similar way berry growth was stimulated by greenhouse and just not well known that it affected beehives too. Since they both passively produce consumables. Ah well. Myth debunked.

2 hours ago, murk117 said:

I am about to build my first base in the extreme cold and have some questions about it.

Does a built greenhouse provide any protection from the cold?

And what are the best protections against the cold?

Until you get better Fur blueprints, even a full set of primitive fur will not be enough a majority of the time. You will find yourself huddling around fireplaces to live.

Fortitude is the single best thing you can do. On the Island living near Blue OB, fortitude of 38 (19 Points) will work, you can run around most of the time naked, when it gets bad, throw on a single piece of fur.

Each level point spent increases fortitude by 2. This, in turn, increases the hypothermal and hyperthermal insulation by 4, and at certain levels it is increased by 5

On the Center, a few more points into fortitude would not hurt.

From the Official Wiki:

Fortitude is a measure of your resistance to the Weather, Torpor, and Disease. A higher Fortitude increases your natural Hypothermic and Hyperthermic insulation and lessens the effects that you receive from  Hypothermia(COLD) and Hyperthermia(HEAT). It also gives you resistance to Torpor-increasing effects such as consumption of Narcotic, hits from Tranquilizer Arrow or Slingshot, Scorpion stings and other Torpor-inducing attacks from creatures.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Fortitude

This also has a chart to the amount of protection each point of fortitude provides.

In my book on PVE Fortitude is the second most important stat after Weight.

3 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Don't waste stats In fortitude,  get decent fur blueprints and you will be good,  use air cons in your Base,  and standing torches 

Did he/she say what map they were on, because if it is Ragnarok fortitude is not a wasted stat. Murder snow will murder... When I read "extreme cold" the first thing I thought of was Murder Snow. On our private server I've bumped up the amount of fortitude you get per point so that we don't have to spend a bazillion points on fortitude to just fly across extreme areas.

7 hours ago, teamravegreen said:

Did he/she say what map they were on, because if it is Ragnarok fortitude is not a wasted stat. Murder snow will murder... When I read "extreme cold" the first thing I thought of was Murder Snow. On our private server I've bumped up the amount of fortitude you get per point so that we don't have to spend a bazillion points on fortitude to just fly across extreme areas.

But doesn't murder snow kill you even with 50 fortitude?  Fortitude is useless because all the places that have extreme weather will still be too hot or cold for your fortitude to matter,  whereas a set of decent fur will protect you even with no fortitude 

@SmokeyB yeah, I guess so. I haven't been to a level of fortitude where Murder Snow didn't hurt me, but with good Fur AND high fortitude I can at least survive quite a long time in it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that in my experience you need BOTH good fur and fortitude to spend any meaningful time in Murder Snow. Regular snow, even on Ragnarok can be countered with just Fur and I'd even add Otter to the list of 'needs'.

On 9/20/2017 at 1:32 PM, teamravegreen said:

Did he/she say what map they were on, because if it is Ragnarok fortitude is not a wasted stat. Murder snow will murder... 

On official I was dumb enough to waste 25 points in fortitude. If I accidentally fly into the murder snow section of the map it doesnt matter, health still goes down at a rate of atleast 1/sec. I even tested it on single player with boosted fortitude to over 300, not much of a difference. Fortitude in theory is nice, but in my opinion is a wasted stat unless you all or nothing it, which in turn screws your other stats. I only put a few points into it so I can take 1 hit from a troodon and not pass out.

In my experience, the people who preach fortitude on my official servers were also the same idiots who tried to incorporate crafting skill into their build by adding 15 points to it on top of all the points spread across their different stats. Just get a seperate character, one explorer note run and you can easily put 50 points into an alts crafting stat, but thats a whole other subject....

Honestly forget fortitude and until you have good fur bps, jusy carry med brews and food and you'll have no worries. Med brews have saved me from a lot of potential stress in this game.

@DeZiLL313 I'm not sure how that can be true (boosted fortitude to over 300, not much difference). I'm not trying to say that on official high fortitude is necessary, but I've seen the difference fortitude (combined with Fur armor and Otter) can make in Murder Snow - I live right near it on Ragnarok (Green Obelisk). On my non-official all I've done is boosted the amount of fortitude per specced point and not to any crazy amounts. I think I'm sitting at around 36 fortitude and have been able to notice a difference.

I mean, worst case scenario OP tries fortitude, determines whether it is worth it or not and I'm assuming they could always re-spec out of it.

4 hours ago, teamravegreen said:

@DeZiLL313 I'm not sure how that can be true (boosted fortitude to over 300, not much difference). I'm not trying to say that on official high fortitude is necessary, but I've seen the difference fortitude (combined with Fur armor and Otter) can make in Murder Snow - I live right near it on Ragnarok (Green Obelisk). On my non-official all I've done is boosted the amount of fortitude per specced point and not to any crazy amounts. I think I'm sitting at around 36 fortitude and have been able to notice a difference.

I mean, worst case scenario OP tries fortitude, determines whether it is worth it or not and I'm assuming they could always re-spec out of it.

If you notice I said single player. I messed around with the stat settings. Albeit I wasn't wearing fur either, but still 300 plus fortitude should of been more than enough lol. You may notice a difference at 36, but you will still die, just a little bit slower.

Archived