Warning about updates!

Dodowhisperer

Seriously 

nothing more frustrating than getting kicked from the game because a mandatory patch suddenly becomes available and forces you offline while you're right in the middle of something.

this game is supposed to be release now and therefore officially production. please act like it when pushing patches on consoles. you couldn't get away with that crap in IT with any other production app/servers so why is it ok to pull that with paying customers?  Surely it's not impossible to send server broadcasts before client patches are officially released.  I apologize if I sound overly harsh but this happens way too often.

/rant

• 3 weeks later...

The last two nights of play I've had a random update 

1. Kill a newborn dinosaur

2.  Respawn a Thylacoleo in the middle of me taming it, putting it back in a tree. Yes It insta-killed me when I turned it back on.

Look, im no one special. Others have lost way more for far more frivolous reasons but for the love of god wildcard, you have a text box for news on the start screen! Let us know about updates beforehand, PLEASE. Esplecially if you are requiring hours of dedication to taming some of these dinos on official servers. 

Ahhh gotta love those WC "updates"

We built a base on the snow mountain east of the blue ob on an island server shortly after the launch (maybe 3-4 days in?)

Logging back in after a patch the base had vanished entirely with nothing whatsoever in tribe logs. Being as it was PvP we figured it must have been blown up and the tribe logs had suffered the usual WC treatment and didn't work..... We rebuilt the base bigger and more fortified.

The next day there was another minor patch, after logging back in the base was completely gone. Again.

We contacted WC "support" they said "too bad ,so sad. We admit it was our patch but won't replace any of your lost structures/resources"  hardly a surprising result but we then asked if they would let us know when the problem was resolved so we could rebuild there again, they sent back their copy/pasted autoresponse which basically read: "No"

We rushed a build elsewhere in one of the few spots left unclaimed and were promptly wiped along the rest of the server by a hostile Chinese alpha that didn't have their base vanish overnight....

Keep in mind this is not an early access title anymore this is a fully launched game with a 60$ price tag..... 

VERY unprofessional.

I play in ps4 and I've always gotten the 20 minute warning. What I would like though is more of a warning, maybe something a day in advance on the title screen. They could totally do that, because ps4 updates get submitted to sony for screening first. Way too many dead babies because of how they do things currently.

I've been lucky enough to only lose a few tames due to this, all low level dinos that weren't a big deal. But at the time it was very frustrating. I can't imagine how pissed I'd have been had I been 10+ hours into a good tame. I'm sure many of you guys have experienced that. It definitely needs a warning other than a pop up a few minutes before it goes down.

Client side updates (the ones you have to download) seem to be getting a lot more advanced warning. Server side updates you just wait until it kicks you and log back in after 5 min. More warning would be nice, even a brief description of the patch, but I have never lost anything due to a server side update. In fact, we were taming a megatherium last night when the update came on xbox and didn't skip a beat.

I'd like to see a few changes that other companies provide that this one should be since they price themselves as a AAA product.

Patch Notes - Make sure you document all patches. Even if it's Code improvements it's better then a update that comes out without any knowledge of what happened.

Upcoming - I love the fact that you communicate the upcoming changes that you want to implement. What I hate is that you give us a time line. I've only been playing this game since july (ish) I have yet to see a timeline reached. I know Software development is not a easy thing to implement which follows many steps. I'd rather see the Upcoming with out an actual date. Yes this could implement more When is patch X coming out. It's better to have those then frustrated users expecting something to drop on a date and watch that target to be missed. 

Just my 2 cents. 

This conversation has been gone over so so many times over the last 2 years.  Scheduled fix period updates have been requested so we know when updates are to be expected or deployed, etc.   Never been done, never will be done.  Also with so many mistakes being made you end up with so many hotfixes that the game spends the same amount of time in updates as it did in early access.  This is just the way Wildcard works. 

Archived