Ark: Aberration

Aaron8956

5 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

It's not really just a modern thing. Games coming out not being bug free have been around for forever. From Super Mario's negative world warp pipe to every single bug that speed runners exploit in marathons and everything in between. I'm not saying that to excuse the modern practice, but rather to have a reminder that as game development technology (and gaming in general) becomes more complex, bugs become more glaring.

Trust me, I know. I was one of the jackasses who thought buying Superman for the n64 was a good idea. lol

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
27 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

as game development technology (and gaming in general) becomes more complex, bugs become more glaring.

This is the real crux of the issue. Sometimes I tend to lay blame on the developers (of any game) but I've worked long enough in IT and with enough code, in enough languages, on enough platforms to know that as capabilities and scope grow larger so does complexity and opportunities for issues to surface. In the last few years the visibility into a game/program/app's development has become more transparent to users and the general public.  

Part of the problem these days is that many, many (most) gamers are armchair software developers that, quite frankly, have no idea what they are talking about.

At all.

5 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

This is the real crux of the issue. Sometimes I tend to lay blame on the developers (of any game) but I've worked long enough in IT and with enough code, in enough languages, on enough platforms to know that as capabilities and scope grow larger so does complexity and opportunities for issues to surface. In the last few years the visibility into  a game/program/apps development has become more transparent to users and the general public.  

Part of the problem these days is that many, many (most) gamers are armchair software developers that, quite frankly, have no idea what they are talking about.

At all.

...don't forget about the sausageheads who know just enough about the development side of things to make an ass of themselves. Like me.

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

That's how I feel about any game. It's just a game, if it's not fun for you, don't play it. It's pretty simple.

I can't imagine why someone would gnash their teeth over something they have zero control over.

Something to do with paying my own money for the privilege of playing the game, would you just park a car up that has no end of issues and its not fun for you any more, no of course you wouldn't, you would either, complain, send it back for a refund, or sell it on

And to say we have zero control over it, you do realize if we dont complain nothing would ever get fixed, thats why they have a bug section, or at least thats what its meant for, but when you have reported the same bug over and over and nothing gets done then you complain about it, plain and simples :)

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

It's not really just a modern thing. Games coming out not being bug free have been around for forever. From Super Mario's negative world warp pipe to every single bug that speed runners exploit in marathons and everything in between. I'm not saying that to excuse the modern practice, but rather to have a reminder that as game development technology (and gaming in general) becomes more complex, bugs become more glaring.

There is nothing wrong with releasing games with bugs, comes with the territory, but to have a game in EA for 2 years then release it with bugs from 2 years ago is a big problem, and to ignore the people who supported you through that painful process too, i feel ive personally being ignored on what ive posted, this game is pretty much unplayable on SP on the xbox, yet my concerns, anger call it what you like, falls on deaf ears, then as a consumer i get pissed off, because we get treated like gutter trash. 

I dont complain for the fun of it, i really really love the concept of this game, more so than any other i own, and i really want to love playing it, truth is when i turn it on i get so frustrated at how poorly it plays, the constant graphics loading in, the stuttering and pausing, all being reported for a long time, yet nothing gets done about it, and dont give me that, oh you dont know how to code so have to right to complain poop, im a consumer and have every right too if something isnt working as intended, 

But again all my concerns will fall on deaf ears because all i get is people excusing them for releasing this pile of poop

16 minutes ago, WolfeUK said:

There is nothing wrong with releasing games with bugs, comes with the territory, but to have a game in EA for 2 years then release it with bugs from 2 years ago is a big problem, and to ignore the people who supported you through that painful process too, i feel ive personally being ignored on what ive posted, this game is pretty much unplayable on SP on the xbox, yet my concerns, anger call it what you like, falls on deaf ears, then as a consumer i get pissed off, because we get treated like gutter trash. 

I dont complain for the fun of it, i really really love the concept of this game, more so than any other i own, and i really want to love playing it, truth is when i turn it on i get so frustrated at how poorly it plays, the constant graphics loading in, the stuttering and pausing, all being reported for a long time, yet nothing gets done about it, and dont give me that, oh you dont know how to code so have to right to complain poop, im a consumer and have every right too if something isnt working as intended, 

But again all my concerns will fall on deaf ears because all i get is people excusing them for releasing this pile of poop

Please....it took Valve 10 years to fix their hitbox issue in TF2...

2 years? that's nothing

I'm pretty stoked by the confined look. Creating a system of buildings on the cliffs should be pretty cool too, like some kind of squeezed together hive. Moreover, I'm really looking forward to these nameless, as the description suggests nameless raids, which I'm hoping means they'll attack the bases we build, and test our defenses. I'm interested to know what the pvp folks think of that. You guys will be juggling tribal raids with nameless raids if that's how it turns out.

11 minutes ago, Sinj said:

I'm pretty stoked by the confined look. Creating a system of buildings on the cliffs should be pretty cool too, like some kind of squeezed together hive. Moreover, I'm really looking forward to these nameless, as the description suggests nameless raids, which I'm hoping means they'll attack the bases we build, and test our defenses. I'm interested to know what the pvp folks think of that. You guys will be juggling tribal raids with nameless raids if that's how it turns out.

If they do attack the bases we build, I wondering if one of the creatures can have like a tower defense kind of thing.

On 26/10/2017 at 4:19 PM, WolfeUK said:

Something to do with paying my own money for the privilege of playing the game, would you just park a car up that has no end of issues and its not fun for you any more, no of course you wouldn't, you would either, complain, send it back for a refund, or sell it on

And to say we have zero control over it, you do realize if we dont complain nothing would ever get fixed, thats why they have a bug section, or at least thats what its meant for, but when you have reported the same bug over and over and nothing gets done then you complain about it, plain and simples :)

That's a really flawed analogy, because a car is a much more expensive purchase. A car purchase isn't even in the same game, let alone ball park. It's more akin to buying a $60 blender and using it for a thousand hours (which a lot of the Ark players that heap hate on Ark have done with the game), only to realise it wasn't what you thought it was. You wouldn't take it back to where you bought it and complain, or expect a refund, unless you're an idiot. You'd toss it in the trash.

8 minutes ago, Armitige said:

That's a really flawed analogy, because a car is a much more expensive purchase. A car purchase isn't even in the same game, let alone ball park. It's more akin to buying a $60 blender and using it for a thousand hours (which a lot of the Ark players that heap hate on Ark have done with the game), only to realise it wasn't what you thought it was. You wouldn't take it back to where you bought it and complain, or expect a refund, unless you're an idiot. You'd toss it in the trash.

Your analogy isnt any better.....lol

When you first brought that blender it would only chop tomatoes, but as you kept using it people would improve the function so eventually it would blend not just tomatoes everything, but the problem was it wouldn't, even after them saying it would, it would still only chop some items, no blending like promised.

On 29/10/2017 at 7:02 PM, WolfeUK said:

Your analogy isnt any better.....lol

When you first brought that blender it would only chop tomatoes, but as you kept using it people would improve the function so eventually it would blend not just tomatoes everything, but the problem was it wouldn't, even after them saying it would, it would still only chop some items, no blending like promised.

It's about a million times better than yours.

1 hour ago, Sinj said:

So, have they said anything about new full suit of obsidian armor? Or any new weapons made from that raw element, like the sword. Have you guys used the sword skin btw? It's awesome.

Obsidian armor, maybe, I don't know. The sword skin is nice too, I wasn't very thrilled about the helmet though.

6 minutes ago, Sinj said:

It looks ok with chitin so far. I'm assuming that a full suit will be cool looking. That sword design though, I'd love to see that same type of "primitive element" weapon mirrored in a bow or pike.

Maybe they're will be Aberrant skins for the bow, pike, armor, for getting artifacts at the end of the cave things. (can't remember what they're called)

Archived