Ark: Aberration

Aaron8956

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still pretty pumped about this. And I do think the reaction we're seeing to the news tends to differ between the solo/non-ded groups and the online players. For the small groups its no big deal. For me it's just more time for me and the wife to work on our canyon base in SE. But for the online crowd it seems like this nervous anticipation, as everyone wants to be first out of the gate for resources and locations.

No software is without issues/bugs.  Sometimes solving one bug creates yet another series of bugs.

The dino-capping was done as an attempt to improve performance and allow wild dinos to exist in high-tame environments.  This was done in direct response to player complaints.

I can't comment on the  rubber-banding.  I play PC with a private server, so I've never seen rubber-banding.  Is this just a console thing?

Can't comment on legacy servers dying off.  Is it because there aren't players on those servers, or is it because Wildcard is shutting them down? 

Also, developers need to eat and pay for rent.

3 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

No software is without issues/bugs.  Sometimes solving one bug creates yet another series of bugs.

But to ignore issues/bugs from years ago, even you cant excuse them for that....and the whole point in releasing games in EA, well theres a few, but one of them is to iron out bugs problems 'before' its release, they have had plenty of time to fix them, but it seems as though they 'choose' to ignore that and release anyways

The more people defend them the more they think everything is ok, its not ok, far from it, the amount of times ive got frustrated at this game is more than any other ive played, and all because of how it plays (on console), no body would ever think i have a xboxone the way this game plays on it, i payed £450 for my console when it launched, and the way this game plays on it is a big joke, and ive played hundreds of games, this is by far the worst for how it plays with lag, bugs etc,

All they seem to want to do is work on releasing new content, but like ive said and many others have fix the core game first

Just now, WolfeUK said:

But to ignore issues/bugs from years ago, even you cant excuse them for that....and the whole point in releasing games in EA, well theres a few, but one of them is to iron out bugs problems 'before' its release, they have had plenty of time to fix them, but it seems as though they 'choose' to ignore that and release anyways

The more people defend them the more they think everything is ok, its not ok, far from it, the amount of times ive got frustrated at this game is more than any other ive played, and all because of how it plays (on console), no body would ever think i have a xboxone the way this game plays on it, i payed £450 for my console when it launched, and the way this game plays on it is a big joke, and ive played hundreds of games, this is by far the worst for how it plays with lag, bugs etc,

All they seem to want to do is work on releasing new content, but like ive said and many others have fix the core game first

PC master race  /thread

:Jerbmad:

On a more serious note, they're not "ignoring" bugs.  There are a couple of things going on here that you either aren't aware of, or are not taking into account.

1.) Different teams are different.  The ART team is not the CODING team.  People get this confused ALL the time.  (And to be honest, it drives me a little nuts).  A lot of the new content you see is done by the art team.  New dinos, plants, etc. . . . a lot of the work behind that is done by the art team.  Different areas have different teams.  The artists don't do the coding.  And even with the coding, they probably have one person or person's working on the coding for the new content, while the others are working on bugs.

2.)  You need to be able to reproduce the bug to fix it.  This.  So much of this.  Some bugs are notoriously difficult to find and fix simply because they cannot be consistently reproduced.   A lot of bugs cannot be reproduced on demand, which makes them very hard to fix.  They also have to prioritize some bugs over others.

3.)  Money doesn't last forever.  The developers still need to eat and pay rent.  People paying for the season pass and the new maps are paying for future optimizations and bug fixes, even for people who don't leave The Island.

4.)  Microsoft has different standards.  Every single patch, asset, etc, has to go through Microsoft or Sony certification before you see it on your consoles.  That adds up to a lot of extra development time and restrictions.  Not only that, but it adds to delays.  PC players get patches first.  And if you EVER look at the PC patch notes, you'll be horrified.  They frequently patch stuff, and then have 50 different things break.  Which they then have to fix.  I dare you. . . do it.  They are, in no way, ignoring bugs.  They're just fixing a LOT of them.  And some bugs are easier to find or fix than others.  

5.)  Take a deep breath.  You got it?  Okay, you paid 450 for your xbox one almost four years ago.  The Xbox one, even when it first released, was no where near what top end gaming PCs could achieve.  It has been four years since . . . with no real upgrades.  You're essentially playing on a glorified potato.  If I had one of my friends complain, I'd tell them to upgrade their video card and their ram.  (To be fair, I did have my friends upgrade select parts, and then they had instant performance improvements.)  Take heart though. . . the Xbox One X should be releasing soon. . . .  If you want to compare Ark to some of those other console games, keep in mind that they don't have extremely large, open areas which take a lot of extra memory.  Instead they make use of smaller areas that funnel players where they want them to go.  It saves on loading and displaying assets.

4 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

PC master race  /thread

:Jerbmad:

On a more serious note, they're not "ignoring" bugs.  There are a couple of things going on here that you either aren't aware of, or are not taking into account.

1.) Different teams are different.  The ART team is not the CODING team.  People get this confused ALL the time.  (And to be honest, it drives me a little nuts).  A lot of the new content you see is done by the art team.  New dinos, plants, etc. . . . a lot of the work behind that is done by the art team.  Different areas have different teams.  The artists don't do the coding.  And even with the coding, they probably have one person or person's working on the coding for the new content, while the others are working on bugs.

2.)  You need to be able to reproduce the bug to fix it.  This.  So much of this.  Some bugs are notoriously difficult to find and fix simply because they cannot be consistently reproduced.   A lot of bugs cannot be reproduced on demand, which makes them very hard to fix.  They also have to prioritize some bugs over others.

3.)  Money doesn't last forever.  The developers still need to eat and pay rent.  People paying for the season pass and the new maps are paying for future optimizations and bug fixes, even for people who don't leave The Island.

4.)  Microsoft has different standards.  Every single patch, asset, etc, has to go through Microsoft or Sony certification before you see it on your consoles.  That adds up to a lot of extra development time and restrictions.  Not only that, but it adds to delays.  PC players get patches first.  And if you EVER look at the PC patch notes, you'll be horrified.  They frequently patch stuff, and then have 50 different things break.  Which they then have to fix.  I dare you. . . do it.  They are, in no way, ignoring bugs.  They're just fixing a LOT of them.  And some bugs are easier to find or fix than others.  

5.)  Take a deep breath.  You got it?  Okay, you paid 450 for your xbox one almost four years ago.  The Xbox one, even when it first released, was no where near what top end gaming PCs could achieve.  It has been four years since . . . with no real upgrades.  You're essentially playing on a glorified potato.  If I had one of my friends complain, I'd tell them to upgrade their video card and their ram.  (To be fair, I did have my friends upgrade select parts, and then they had instant performance improvements.)  Take heart though. . . the Xbox One X should be releasing soon. . . .  If you want to compare Ark to some of those other console games, keep in mind that they don't have extremely large, open areas which take a lot of extra memory.  Instead they make use of smaller areas that funnel players where they want them to go.  It saves on loading and displaying assets.

1, Yes i know not everyone works on the same thing, not sure why this is even brought up, makes no difference to fixing bugs, not like 'im' asking for someone in the art dep to fix a bug to do with the core of the game, i report the bugs, its up to them to ask the right person to fix it, not me.....

2, I have reproduced bugs, and we still have them.....from years ago, the main one being resource nodes not spawning back, to a point where ive had to restart a map cause the trees wernt re spawning back, but the lag issue, just go and play Ark on the console, you will see it 

3, Money issue isnt my problem, i paid for my game, infact i supported them all though the EA on both PC and xbox, even brought DLC for both, think i have supported them enough, if they have ran out of money thats not really my fault.

4, Yes, again stating the obvious, that doesnt stop them from optimizing the game properly or fixing bugs, no other gaming company that i play games with has this problem, yes they have bugs, but you report them and they get fixed, and as the EA or Alpha stage continues the game gets optimized properly, for a game like this to now be in full release runs like a piece of poop, and no one should be happy with that, maybe alot of players on here are kids who dont know any better, maybe playing on servers it does run better, but i play SP and should be able to do so

5, Take a deep breath ?? ive being taking a deep breath all through EA thanks, only now since release have i stepped in and told them what i think, because until then i believed they would fix their game....
They know the limits of the xboxone, not like it was sprung on them, if they couldnt make a satisfying game on the console they should never have tried in the first place, to me it seems or comes across they are well out of there depth and not knowing what they are doing, have you ever played a game when the graphics are constantly loading in and out (blurry to focused) and i mean constant, walking along the beech and the sand it cant make its mind up if its focused or not, same with wooden structures, constantly loading in and out, then the constant 1 sec freezes when you are walking, turn to quick and it freezes for a second, moving stuff to and from the inventory and it freezes, even when you go to chop a tree down it lags for half a second, like its trying to find the sound file for it, i could go on about how poorly this game runs, and to blame the size of the map ?? go and play Exiles, looks better, same sized map if not bigger, and that game plays really smooth compared to this, on the console theres plenty of games out there that are bigger and better looking than ark, just go look at Farcry Primal, beautiful game and never do you get FPS problems, not once, the problem with this game is its not optimized properly, my xbox doesn't run this hot with any other game, and ive played alot of big open world maps, ive had to buy a cooling shroud for my xbox to try and keep it cool, 

1 hour ago, WolfeUK said:

1, Yes i know not everyone works on the same thing, not sure why this is even brought up, makes no difference to fixing bugs, not like 'im' asking for someone in the art dep to fix a bug to do with the core of the game, i report the bugs, its up to them to ask the right person to fix it, not me.....

2, I have reproduced bugs, and we still have them.....from years ago, the main one being resource nodes not spawning back, to a point where ive had to restart a map cause the trees wernt re spawning back, but the lag issue, just go and play Ark on the console, you will see it 

3, Money issue isnt my problem, i paid for my game, infact i supported them all though the EA on both PC and xbox, even brought DLC for both, think i have supported them enough, if they have ran out of money thats not really my fault.

4, Yes, again stating the obvious, that doesnt stop them from optimizing the game properly or fixing bugs, no other gaming company that i play games with has this problem, yes they have bugs, but you report them and they get fixed, and as the EA or Alpha stage continues the game gets optimized properly, for a game like this to now be in full release runs like a piece of poop, and no one should be happy with that, maybe alot of players on here are kids who dont know any better, maybe playing on servers it does run better, but i play SP and should be able to do so

5, Take a deep breath ?? ive being taking a deep breath all through EA thanks, only now since release have i stepped in and told them what i think, because until then i believed they would fix their game....
They know the limits of the xboxone, not like it was sprung on them, if they couldnt make a satisfying game on the console they should never have tried in the first place, to me it seems or comes across they are well out of there depth and not knowing what they are doing, have you ever played a game when the graphics are constantly loading in and out (blurry to focused) and i mean constant, walking along the beech and the sand it cant make its mind up if its focused or not, same with wooden structures, constantly loading in and out, then the constant 1 sec freezes when you are walking, turn to quick and it freezes for a second, moving stuff to and from the inventory and it freezes, even when you go to chop a tree down it lags for half a second, like its trying to find the sound file for it, i could go on about how poorly this game runs, and to blame the size of the map ?? go and play Exiles, looks better, same sized map if not bigger, and that game plays really smooth compared to this, on the console theres plenty of games out there that are bigger and better looking than ark, just go look at Farcry Primal, beautiful game and never do you get FPS problems, not once, the problem with this game is its not optimized properly, my xbox doesn't run this hot with any other game, and ive played alot of big open world maps, ive had to buy a cooling shroud for my xbox to try and keep it cool, 

1.  You referenced the new map, so I kind of had to bring this up.

2.  The question isn't about whether YOU can reproduce the bug.  It's about whether or not THEY can reproduce the bug.  The bug report forums are a hot mess, and most everyone doesn't even remotely know how to submit anything resembling a bug report.  The vast majority of posts in there are things like "My dinos disappeared.  Devs fix this."  Great.  The devs would love to fix it, but they don't know how to make the dinos disappear so that they can figure out what is going on.  When did the dinos disappear?  How did they disappear?  Did you see them disappear?  Even if you don't know specifics, telling them any information that you do know helps.   As an example, you said that you had to restart a map because the trees stopped spawning.  That's a really interesting problem!  Did you report it?  Did you mention how long you had been playing that map?  How often did you play/how many reloads did you have on that map?  Did you save the ark file to drop box or google drive and give the devs a link to it in a bug report?  No?  How many other players have trees that don't respawn?  Is it possible that your world file was corrupted?

Lag on consoles, but no lag on PC. . . What kind of "lag" is this?  Is it straight up rubber-banding, or is it a framerate drop?  Do you have the ability to run a tracert from your IP address to the microsoft network?  Do you know what your latency is from your IP to the game server is?  

All of these things are questions that no one bothers to ask before they complain about "bugs".  They don't answer these kinds of questions in their complaints on the forums, and so the developers have their hands tied when trying to fix bugs.  Some things, like network latency or network routing, is completely out of their control.  

3.  You paid your money!  Great!  You got your game!  It works reasonably well, or people wouldn't be playing it at all.  They've added a TON of content, upgrades, fixes, and refinements to the game, especially if you managed to buy the game during Early Access (which you mentioned that you did).  For what you paid, I'd say that you got MORE than your money's worth.

4.  First, go back and re-read what I just said.  They ARE fixing bugs.  They just aren't fixing the stuff that you're mad about.  Go and read the PC patch notes.  Just read back maybe 8 months worth.  They've optimized this game multiple times.  Also, re-read point #5.  You play on a potato.

5.  Clearly you don't know the limitations of your xbox.  You're playing on a potato.  Farcry Primal uses the Dunia graphics engine.  Ark uses the Unreal Engine.  (I can't look up Exiles because I don't know what game you're referencing -- there are a couple of Exile games.)  Two different things.  Dunia engine is proprietary property of Ubisoft, and not available for other developers to use.  Unreal Engine is made available to other developers to use.  And before you ask, Wildcard is a small independent studio; they don't have the resources to build their own engine.  And yes, I totally can cite the size of the map.  A lot of games make use of illusions to make you think you're playing something that's bigger than it is.  The size of the map, number of objects, number of polys, textures, special effects, etc all take a toll on resources.  If this was the beginning of the life expectancy of the xbox one, you might have an argument.  But as it is, this is the end of the life expectancy of the xbox one.  As it stands, it sounds like you're having memory issues.  Looking up stuff online, it looks like Ark only has a measly 5 GB of RAM to run on since Microsoft reserves the other 3 GB for system usage.  I pity console owners now.

So, in order to fix some  of your issues, you're going to have to limit the draw distance.  Reducing the ground clutter might also help.  Also, there is another weird setting somewhere that involves how many cells are preloaded, and how big they are.  I think it was mentioned a while back.  Not sure if you have access to it or not.  Also, if you have the option to load the game in the low memory setting, it should help you out a lot.  That setting was designed more for the amount of memory you have available to use.

In short, the game you're playing is designed for more powerful machines.  They opened development to consoles because players begged them to.  (I remember this.)

11 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

In short, the game you're playing is designed for more powerful machines.  They opened development to consoles because players begged them to.  (I remember this.)

I'm sure glad they did! I wanted Ark so bad but didn't have the cash to blow on a PC that could run it. When I heard it was coming to Xbox, I was thrilled! I'm now getting the newest Xbox to see how Ark runs on that.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:48 PM, Aaron8956 said:

Honestly I'm glad too because I don't get paid until the first of November so I wouldn't have been able to get it. I think it was justified, I wouldn't want a buggy product and I understand why WC did it.

If you think a couple week delay is going to fix a buggy product you mustn't have played Ark before.  ??

1 hour ago, Scrysis said:

1.  You referenced the new map, so I kind of had to bring this up.

2.  The question isn't about whether YOU can reproduce the bug.  It's about whether or not THEY can reproduce the bug.  The bug report forums are a hot mess, and most everyone doesn't even remotely know how to submit anything resembling a bug report.  The vast majority of posts in there are things like "My dinos disappeared.  Devs fix this."  Great.  The devs would love to fix it, but they don't know how to make the dinos disappear so that they can figure out what is going on.  When did the dinos disappear?  How did they disappear?  Did you see them disappear?  Even if you don't know specifics, telling them any information that you do know helps.   As an example, you said that you had to restart a map because the trees stopped spawning.  That's a really interesting problem!  Did you report it?  Did you mention how long you had been playing that map?  How often did you play/how many reloads did you have on that map?  Did you save the ark file to drop box or google drive and give the devs a link to it in a bug report?  No?  How many other players have trees that don't respawn?  Is it possible that your world file was corrupted?

Lag on consoles, but no lag on PC. . . What kind of "lag" is this?  Is it straight up rubber-banding, or is it a framerate drop?  Do you have the ability to run a tracert from your IP address to the microsoft network?  Do you know what your latency is from your IP to the game server is?  

All of these things are questions that no one bothers to ask before they complain about "bugs".  They don't answer these kinds of questions in their complaints on the forums, and so the developers have their hands tied when trying to fix bugs.  Some things, like network latency or network routing, is completely out of their control.  

3.  You paid your money!  Great!  You got your game!  It works reasonably well, or people wouldn't be playing it at all.  They've added a TON of content, upgrades, fixes, and refinements to the game, especially if you managed to buy the game during Early Access (which you mentioned that you did).  For what you paid, I'd say that you got MORE than your money's worth.

4.  First, go back and re-read what I just said.  They ARE fixing bugs.  They just aren't fixing the stuff that you're mad about.  Go and read the PC patch notes.  Just read back maybe 8 months worth.  They've optimized this game multiple times.  Also, re-read point #5.  You play on a potato.

5.  Clearly you don't know the limitations of your xbox.  You're playing on a potato.  Farcry Primal uses the Dunia graphics engine.  Ark uses the Unreal Engine.  (I can't look up Exiles because I don't know what game you're referencing -- there are a couple of Exile games.)  Two different things.  Dunia engine is proprietary property of Ubisoft, and not available for other developers to use.  Unreal Engine is made available to other developers to use.  And before you ask, Wildcard is a small independent studio; they don't have the resources to build their own engine.  And yes, I totally can cite the size of the map.  A lot of games make use of illusions to make you think you're playing something that's bigger than it is.  The size of the map, number of objects, number of polys, textures, special effects, etc all take a toll on resources.  If this was the beginning of the life expectancy of the xbox one, you might have an argument.  But as it is, this is the end of the life expectancy of the xbox one.  As it stands, it sounds like you're having memory issues.  Looking up stuff online, it looks like Ark only has a measly 5 GB of RAM to run on since Microsoft reserves the other 3 GB for system usage.  I pity console owners now.

So, in order to fix some  of your issues, you're going to have to limit the draw distance.  Reducing the ground clutter might also help.  Also, there is another weird setting somewhere that involves how many cells are preloaded, and how big they are.  I think it was mentioned a while back.  Not sure if you have access to it or not.  Also, if you have the option to load the game in the low memory setting, it should help you out a lot.  That setting was designed more for the amount of memory you have available to use.

1 ???

2 Well if they cant reproduce the bug ive given them then they really do have serious problems....

3 It doesn't work reasonably well at all, certainly not on the console

4 They arnt fixing bugs, ive still got bugs from 2 years ago

5 When i brought Ark on console the console hadnt even being out 2 years

imo from what ive seen the game has gone backwards, the sticky frame rate maybe an issue with xbox's due to them being consoles, so are we supposed to just shut up and put up with it, ive being gaming for over 30 years on console and never had a game run this bad, is this the future of games, pushed so far they done play nice ?

This is the kind of thing i have to look at, sometimes it will show clear, sometimes its like this, bearing in mind, im on a SP and this small raft is all i have built, so its not like its trying to render 10,000 walls

59f0400971d53_ARKSurvivalEvolved(4).thumb.jpg.1da7fe704de02842b8e2dc38224ca216.jpg

Archived