Wyvern Advice

TheMetalMan

Hey I just got my first Wyverns in single player, and I ponder about a few things:

1. I know fire wyverns are immune to fire, does this count for all wyverns? Can Lightning not hurt Lightning wyverns and so on?

2. Which Wyvern is best for hunting other Wyverns?

3. What is the best tactic for Alpha Wyvern and Alpha deathworm? I've not dealt with one yet but I'd like to be prepared. Assume I don't want to spend a lot of resources for turrents and cannons.

4. Are Wyverns supposed to have their speed stuck at 100%? I thought when you tamed a flyer it always had 136% speed, but both my Wyverns have 100% speed. Is that normal?

Any advice in general with wyverns and their uses would be appreciated.

I've got a Lightning Wyvern I plan to use for fighting and a Fire Wyvern I plan to use for transport.

Both my Dragons.jpg

1. Fire wyverns are immune to fire, Lightning Wyverns are immune to ligthtning & Poison Wyverns immune to poison (though without aa gas mask, you as a player will die from the poison if you dont move in time)

2. Lightning Wyvern is probably the best for hunting other wyverns because it does % based damage. You will have to melee other Lightning Wyverns though with the bite attack.

3. For Alpha Deathworm I suggest bringing a Giganotosaurus from TheIsland to fight that, if not, use a decent Rex. For Alpha Wyverns, build a wyvern trap (Ones you would use to get milk for baby wyverns) and fire lightning at it with a decent Lightning Wyvern)

4. Wyverns are supposed to have their speed stuck at 100%. They are the fastest fliers on the ARK. (Excluding Griffin dive bomb)

5. Rock Golems can be dealt with explosives or a good Giganotosaurus.

On 9/27/2017 at 11:39 AM, HoganRyan01 said:

3. For Alpha Deathworm I suggest bringing a Giganotosaurus from TheIsland to fight that, if not, use a decent Rex. For Alpha Wyverns, build a wyvern trap (Ones you would use to get milk for baby wyverns) and fire lightning at it with a decent Lightning Wyvern)

5. Rock Golems can be dealt with explosives or a good Giganotosaurus.

With all the people recommending Giganotosaurus, I am starting to think I should have gotten one while I was on the Island.

But do tell my why the Rex and Giga are preferable to the wyvern when fighing an alpha Deathworm? I've had an easier time killing normal ones shooting lightning and fire and backing away. Is it because they have a bigger area of attack more damage or similar?

Also they are no rex spawns on my map, so I fear it may not be an option.

there are deffo rex spawns in scorched earth, not asmuch as in the island but i've seen wild rexes nontheless

also, a alpha deathworm has high health and high damage

reason why people don't use wyverns is simple: no saddle

a decent rex with decent saddle has a much easier time killing anythi:ng

i use a yuty with 25k health, 4k stamina and 450% damage and have 3 rexes on follow with 20k health and 1000% melee

needless to say, the melt anything the game throws at me. deathworms don't live longer then 10 seconds, alphas die in less then 20 seconds

good saddle really makes a world of difference, between taking the full damage or taking only a part of the damage

10 hours ago, raptorjesus666 said:

there are deffo rex spawns in scorched earth, not asmuch as in the island but i've seen wild rexes nontheless

I know the spawn spots for some the rexes, but I've never seen any actually spawn.

10 hours ago, raptorjesus666 said:

i use a yuty with 25k health, 4k stamina and 450% damage and have 3 rexes on follow with 20k health and 1000% melee

I do have a bred Yuty from the island, imprinted to 100%, pretty high level level but due to the fact I mostly used it for transport, I've pumped almost all points into stamina.

13 hours ago, TheMetalMan said:

I know the spawn spots for some the rexes, but I've never seen any actually spawn.

I do have a bred Yuty from the island, imprinted to 100%, pretty high level level but due to the fact I mostly used it for transport, I've pumped almost all points into stamina.

You can always use the obelisks to transfer back to TheIsland temporarily search for a Giganotosaurus for a while (or spawn one in if you cant be bothered to do that).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 2:12 PM, HoganRyan01 said:

You can always use the obelisks to transfer back to TheIsland temporarily search for a Giganotosaurus for a while (or spawn one in if you cant be bothered to do that).

I am sorta new to transferring but does it mean everything will be as I left it when I come back?

Does days pass while on the other map or does time as a whole freeze?

On 10/15/2017 at 9:30 AM, TheMetalMan said:

I am sorta new to transferring but does it mean everything will be as I left it when I come back?

Does days pass while on the other map or does time as a whole freeze?

If you transfer your character and items to TheIsland then your Scorched Earth freezes.

On 10/15/2017 at 9:44 AM, TheMetalMan said:

As a side note, is a rock Elemental a good way to deal with Alpha Wyverns?

I've never really done it that way. I use a Giganotosaurus or Lightning Wyvern to deal with them.

1. Yes all wyverns are immune to wyverns that are the same element as is the driver the only exception to this is the rider on a poison wyvern can be killed by a wild one due to its bolt being a kind of aoe splash

2. For hunting for new eggs etc in the scar i find a lightning wyvern to be the best just because lightning wyverns are so strong you can tank a fire wyvern without any real trouble and poison wyvern if you dodge the bolt/dont get hit as the rider its gg they do hardly any damage but as an added note for farming more wyvern eggs i find griffins to be better 

3. The best strat for alpha wyverns i would advise building a trap that you can trap the alpha in seen as youre on a single player server the trap will always be available so youll never have any trouble trapping it also a side note alpha wyverns are always FIRE so if you bring a fire wyvern youre immune to its breath :) but i use lightnings just because their damage is stronger and has a longer range so if its trapped you can hit it and it cant hit you as for alpha deathworms i just hit and run but my tribe mates say that flying onto a cliff or raised edge and just spraying down at it can work.

4. Yes wyverns speed is locked at 100% 

5. Lightning wyverns scale the best with leveling melee damage due to there special (right click) being a constant beam with no real added effect, for fire their intial damage of the breath is scaled with melee but the dot it leaves after is not same with poison if the bolt you fire hits the target it scales with melee but the gas cloud it leaves after does not. All 3s bite scales with melee though 

Lightning is a lot easier to aim. While not quite related, the Ice wyvern on Ragnarok is a good Wyvern killer, as you can just slow down wild ones and hop on their back and bite them to death 1v1.

While mentioned, Wyverns don't have saddles. Good saddles provide HUGE damage reduction. A rex with a 70 armor saddle has huge damage reduction. If you luck out and get a great saddle, you can get 75%, 80% damage reduction easy. Rexes also have better health scaling, and since they don't lose out on the initial melee, they have better starting melee damage (Wyverns have somewhat better melee scaling though).

Giga's just have a poop-ton of stats on em, and you can get a good Giga saddle relatively quickly. Note that Giga's have piss-poor lvl scaling for everything but Melee.

Archived