Building Question

Jacira

Has anyone figured out a way to work around the height difference caused when snapping a ceiling to a foundation?

Building on slopes obviously means at some point you have to stop using foundations and start using ceilings. But it causes a horrible line to show between the two.

So any Arkitects know a way around this?

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Has anyone figured out a way to work around the height difference caused when snapping a ceiling to a foundation?

Building on slopes obviously means at some point you have to stop using foundations and start using ceilings. But it causes a horrible line to show between the two.

If you are on PVE, the best way is just with Pillars and Ceilings.   Eventually, if you build out far enough from your foundation, you will need to use Pillars anyway.

If you don't like the look of pillars sticking through the ceiling, then build your floor layout with Thatch Ceilings and the Pillars out of the Material you want to use.  Once you have the layout done, destroy the ceiling, and then put in new Ceiling using the material you want to build with; these should not stick to the top of the pillars with no nub sticking through.

And, if you plan to expand in the future, then leave a few of the Thatch Ceilings in place, and when you expand, build your new layout from those first, and they like before, remove the Thatch Ceilings and replace with Ceiling made with your chosen material.

3 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

If you are on PVE, the best way is just with Pillars and Ceilings.   Eventually, if you build out far enough from your foundation, you will need to use Pillars anyway.

If you don't like the look of pillars sticking through the ceiling, then build your floor layout with Thatch Ceilings and the Pillars out of the Material you want to use.  Once you have the layout done, destroy the ceiling, and then put in new Ceiling using the material you want to build with; these should not stick to the top of the pillars with no nub sticking through.

And, if you plan to expand in the future, then leave a few of the Thatch Ceilings in place, and when you expand, build your new layout from those first, and they like before, remove the Thatch Ceilings and replace with Ceiling made with your chosen material.

Thanks for your help. I know how to hide the pillar nubs I just prefer the look of foundations at a side glance over pillars and ceilings.

However you don't have to use pillars if you build out far enough from your foundation. You can use a single pillar and then snap foundations to the pillar to give the proper roof above a nice even look.

The trickiest parts are when you're close to ground those, trying to get the pillar in the right grove to then able the foundations to snap to it.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Thanks for your help. I know how to hide the pillar nubs I just prefer the look of foundations at a side glance over pillars and ceilings.

However you don't have to use pillars if you build out far enough from your foundation. You can use a single pillar and then snap foundations to the pillar to give the proper roof above a nice even look.

The trickiest parts are when you're close to ground those, trying to get the pillar in the right grove to then able the foundations to snap to it.

I have used that or variations of that many times, especially for bridges and such.  However, for my main buildings, I like to have the extra support, just in case I do something dumb(which I have been known to do, from time to time).  Though, I like to build in difficult spots for the challenge, and less for the aesthetics.

Now, if you were on a server with collision turned off, then you can just use wall, which give a very nice look, especially if you mix up the materials, reverse the direction, and/or point them.  Though, on servers with collision enabled, I have used fence foundations(and sometimes regular foundations) and walls to fill in the gaps for when you cannot run your walls all they way down.  It is not perfect, but usually like it better than the gaps, and, in some cases, I put my log out spot there(at least in really big bases that lag when you first log in).

A1A0E280B600218C5DC5115158A778BD33108109

E012D68359A3A0BF0567BB2FFC535E2685A11101

31 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Honestly I just put ceilings on top of my foundations. I'm not a building genius, but as long as I'm not building on a platform it seems to work just fine

So I have figured it out myself, let this be a tutorial for anyone trying to hide the ugly height difference between a foundation and a ceiling.

In the same way you can sink foundations on a raft using pillars, you can also sink them on land.

Steps

1. Place a foundation
2. Place a pillar in the middle of the foundation
3. Place another foundation next to it once you see the game glitch the foundation at a lower level
4. Place a ceiling on the lower foundation
5. Profit

You will see that the ceiling on the lower foundation now meets the same height as your regular foundations. There is a price to using this method however, you will need to keep that lowered foundation as part of your structure as the lowered ceilings will not meet the same foundation support grid as your heightened ones. I recommend only using this method on small things where aesthetics is more important than structural integrity.

I have attached a photo as an example. Take note of the two wooden ceilings one block back from the example to notice the difference.

LFJhhA7.jpg

I just use pillars and foundations, the snap ceilings to the outer perimeter of those foundations, which allows me to build walls downward flush against the foundations. The gives the building a much taller look, and protects the pillars. After building the walls, you can destroy the ceilings without the walls disappearing. I use the same trick on land based platform saddles to create a wall around the creature, protecting it.

41 minutes ago, Jacira said:

So I have figured it out myself, let this be a tutorial for anyone trying to hide the ugly height difference between a foundation and a ceiling.

In the same way you can sink foundations on a raft using pillars, you can also sink them on land.

Steps

1. Place a foundation
2. Place a pillar in the middle of the foundation
3. Place another foundation next to it once you see the game glitch the foundation at a lower level
4. Place a ceiling on the lower foundation
5. Profit

You will see that the ceiling on the lower foundation now meets the same height as your regular foundations. There is a price to using this method however, you will need to keep that lowered foundation as part of your structure as the lowered ceilings will not meet the same foundation support grid as your heightened ones. I recommend only using this method on small things where aesthetics is more important than structural integrity.

I have attached a photo as an example. Take note of the two wooden ceilings one block back from the example to notice the difference.

LFJhhA7.jpg

Which is what I said ;) it'll work the same if you just raise a foundation for the second layer

You can also use this method to build foundations flush with the surface of a raft: place foundation, place pillar in center of foundation, place ceiling atop pillar, place ceiling attached to first ceiling, place pillar under second ceiling, place foundation under second pillar making sure it is slightly lower than first foundation, destroy (or pick up if using a mod that allows it) all but second foundation. Repeat until flush with raft surface. Note: be sure to leave an area clear by the tiller to be able to access the raft directly in order to use it.

So, I play pvp and as the tribe builder, I pride myself in my ability to effectively workaround this issue while maintaining structural integrity. My goal is to have everything completely on the same snap point because if someone blows a foundation, you don't want everything beyond it to crumble. I am not however, great at explaining so I'll do my best. Mostly it's already been covered but I like to do it a tad differently. I always use thatch to build and replace with metal as I go.

First off, to drop a foundation you can do your pillar trick but I prefer to drop one complete foundation height to maintain the snapping level. To do this, when you can no longer get a foundation to snap, you go 2 ceilings out and pillar down to the ground from the ceiling then you can snap your foundation next to it. If it's an incline, 2 walls up, then the 2 ceilings out with pillar drop.

This gets you a foundation, but you have to be careful that you don't have it on a lower snapping point. To verify, before you move on with foundations, you have to lock it together. Every time I freesnap a foundation to a pillar, I use this method to ensure it's locked together.

You now have your main grid, as well as a freshly snapped free foundation. From grid foundation, you go up 2 walls, ceiling+ceiling, then down 1-3walls(1for incline, 3 for decline) to snap to the new foundation. Then you go back to the grid foundation and demolish that first wall you placed for they verification check. If the other walls and ceilings stay standing, then you have latched them together and may continue with foundations on the new elevation.

To be successful with this and avoid any problems, I always follow with a single elevated ceiling behind me that is only tied to the starting point. When it shows red (unplaceable), it means you aren't snapped and have to backup. As long as that placement can follow above you free air, your snap is working.

For estetics, I always always always do ALL of the  metal ceilings from the same point, and then I drop the metal walls down from the ceilings to the foundations. This allows you to have walls that look square and not offset, and only the very bottom wall will look very slightly out but will still be snapped properly and virtually unnoticeably different.

I have done this on many builds on official and otherwise, and have failed many times and had to restart. Practise makes perfect, thatch wall/foundation/ceiling and wooden pillars are your friend.

-----------

An added tip for pvp, if you get your floor grid, you can sink 1 foundation the same as you would on a boat, place you generator perfectly square, then place an intersecting cable which will snap to the gen a hair underneath the foundation and be therefore protected from damage. Your backup gens will snap right onto the electrical grid at the original foundation height. Just make sure to place wires as you do foundations because you will not be able to see them under foundations if you lay foundations first. It is possible to place them afterwards tho, you just have to make sure you don't miss any . :)

@Jacira I hope this helps, if it's too confusing send me a PM and maybe I can help you on discord.

@Jerryn  Thank you for the PM regarding how to block unwanted PMs. Your kindness is inspiring.

Edit: Typos, I probably missed a ton.

Hello all,

I guess the way we build is quick and dirty but most easy. On uneven ground build pillars from the lowest point up to the highest point. Each up step is exactly one wall high. Even if you can not place foundations everywhere under your house it does not matter. Use ceilings as floor in your house and leave the ugly foundation placements hidden with walls and ceilings, sort of a basement if you like. Maybe this is obvious for everyone. Just like to state the obvious. /Ariana

2 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello all,

I guess the way we build is quick and dirty but most easy. On uneven ground build pillars from the lowest point up to the highest point. Each up step is exactly one wall high. Even if you can not place foundations everywhere under your house it does not matter. Use ceilings as floor in your house and leave the ugly foundation placements hidden with walls and ceilings, sort of a basement if you like. Maybe this is obvious for everyone. Just like to state the obvious. /Ariana

That is plenty acceptable for pve, but if you do that in pvp your whole base will collapse when someone with c4 gets below it.

We just started playing PvE. it is the way we build in PvP. The idea is that we tame in that ugly basement. And since we stopped playing  PvP we always had one or two foundations covering the small storage box.  Just in case someone raided during the time we played. At the time we logout all goodies went in to a purlova hidden in a slope with ignore group whistle command and in passive mode. In pve we noticed on ragnarok that one can hide a storage box inside a respawnable rock. This might be patched since it is very op.

Archived