Feeling utterly defeated

ValaRhan

15 hours ago, johnm81 said:

After 6 months post launch they should allow legacy servers to become 'official' with all transfering abilities. The logic to not allowing it was to give new players a chance. Well they will be established enough 6 months imo.

That would be extremely reasonable which is why it won't happen. Whenever it comes to the people of Wildcard it's always a safe bet to put your money on them doing the wrong thing.

The new servers are apparently now in the same boat as the veteran servers. DDoS attacks, duping, pillars everywhere (within minutes of them going live even), etc. There's no point in keeping them separate, especially after six months, but separate they will remain until all legacy servers are taken down as it is their plan to do so.

15 hours ago, Lizybeth said:

1st: The save files are nice, but do nothing if you're breading, unless you want to trade with yourself... Not a good option..!  I have over 6k hours, (yeah I know, addicted) but If I want to bread and trade with others Cross ARK (or just have a friendly chat with my neighbor on my Legacy server (WC hasn't figured out how to save the personalities of the players you play with), then the new servers are the way to go and I don't want to be a newbie when there are well established tribes way ahead on everything.  At this point I am on 7 servers, Legacy and New which is too many even for me...  I've started over many times (new servers, being Giga nibbles, whatever) and it can be fun, but I don't appreciate the choice being made for me, and I want to continue breeding my Unicorns, Rex's, etc...  

2nd: Playing PVP is not a fair or accurate comparison, since we play PVE for a reason. We want stability and the ability to build and breed, etc.  If you play PVE you also want to support your neighbors in their endeavors, which is obviously not a reason to play PVP.  The two have an environment in common and that's all.   

3rd: Wildcard did say they would look at the number of players on each Legacy server every few weeks/months (not sure which) and if the numbers are low they would be slated to be re-purposed and save files would be made available with the save date/time the same at when the announcement was made public.

4th: The only reason I've continued to keep my Legacy Server bases active was in the hopes that at some point when the players on the new servers are established that WC will let us transfer between Legacy and New servers, but with each day that passes that hope grows dimmer and feels more hopeless.

If you are a Legacy player it feels terrible to just walk away from over 2 years of work and 6k hours of Life Time and makes me question if I truly want to put more Real Life hours into a game where the developers obviously Do Not value their players.  What would the developers do if their management said 'Stop work on ARK, we are going to start work on the new Muppet Game, get your green frogs ready...', I'm betting they would not be pleased. 

Lastly, We signed up for the promised "Early Release" not a true Beta.  In Early Release you continue with your current game as is, and the new players either join a thriving community, -OR- new servers with a fresh open environment.  There should be both options..!  

#SavetheLegacyServers

I couldn't agree more. I could post a long message here about where I am at with the game. 3500 hours, breeding on legacy official etc. The feeling of my server slowly getting less visits from new and old players is a bit draining. The inevitable and sad part is if they decide to close down my server I play on.

I've started over on one of the new servers and I do enjoy that, but after awhile I stop playing and just want to play on my established server and not have to grind to where I am at again. It just hits you right in the gut to think all your hard work goes down the toilet.

I could join a tribe where half the work is done and I suppose I can live with not personally achieving some things in the game again as I have already put in the hours. The fact that it might disappear, even for a hardcore player, just makes you want to stop playing and never play again.

6 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

This is incorrect. They said they will continue to evaluate (by population) the legacy servers every few months and repurpose as needed.

They also repeatedly said that they would tone back further on fino nerfs 'based on feedbac'. That too was a lie.

18 minutes ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

They also repeatedly said that they would tone back further on fino nerfs 'based on feedbac'. That too was a lie.

Actually they said they would make further adjustments if necessary.  Their stance would appear to be that further adjustments are not needed at this time.

However, let's not derail the thread.  Back on topic please.

18 hours ago, Drinkinthepink said:

Imagine you love your car... you customize it, give it a cool paint job, you've accumulated many memories with friends while driving that car, you have sentimental attachment.

now, someone offers you a brand new free car for you and each of your friends... do you decline and continue driving your old car with 300k on it? Or accept the new car and start customizing it all over again?

ill say, the new car is fuuuun :)

Imagine you drive a Ferrari...lets say a 1968 250 GTO. 

And someone offers you a brand new Fiat Multipla. 

Do you still say the new car is fun ?

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

This is incorrect. They said they will continue to evaluate (by population) the legacy servers every few months and repurpose as needed.

I doubt there will be any ''repurposing''. They killed 900+ servers to put 200 new online. You can call that repurposing, but I prefer calling it downsizing. 

48 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

No. If I had the choice I'd simply stop driving it, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't log in to Fiat Multipla forums every single day and incessantly complain that it's not a Ferrari 1968 250 GTO either. But that's just me. Nice comparison!

I had stuff I cared about,  but I left it for the new serves. Literally everything is starved or starving at this point and oddly enough our base is still standing. Probably because the lack of people actually raiding or playing on legacy.

Leave your old stuff behind, If you are pve its proably a pain in the ass but to me the fun in ark is getting those new stats. Taming those new dinos, getting those new bps. It was so stale to me before, asc everything, same stats in every tribe, there was barely any difference. Gone were the days of someone having an asc crossbow bp and a whole server paying to make them. Gone were the times of telling them double mats to make something and then making yourself one and giving them the other lolol.

I have moved to the new servers, so much better.

11 hours ago, powerstuck said:

Sure do. Know why? Because I don't complain.

Thanks for taking the fun out of a friendly comment, doesn't bother me one bit.

edit: I bet you drive a Prius

Like the others say: It does indeed suck, but didn't you think that when the game was released, you'd lose your progress? I swore up and down it'd come to that even if I had built up over half of the entire island, or a quarter of the center. 

"When the actual game drops, this'll all be reduced to ash anyways. Be aight." was our original mantra.

Then it suddenly twisted into "...Wait, what?!"

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Masurao said:

Like the others say: It does indeed suck, but didn't you think that when the game was released, you'd lose your progress? I swore up and down it'd come to that even if I had built up over half of the entire island, or a quarter of the center. 

"When the actual game drops, this'll all be reduced to ash anyways. Be aight." was our original mantra.

Then it suddenly twisted into "...Wait, what?!"

I would have expected to lose my progress if their final word stated last year was not no wipe:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/7/343787283759101650/

On 9/18/2017 at 7:48 PM, Orion said:

I don't remember where, but I'm 90% certain the Devs at WC already announced that they will not be repurposing anymore Legacy Servers. If they are, however, they will always upload the latest save state to the Cloud, available for you to download and host on Single Player or as a Player Dedicated with Official rates.

Yeah they also promised they would only wipe 10% of the servers too. Don't remember? Or maybe you still drink the koolaid.

Legacy will all be wiped within the next 3 months and you'll be more behind then everyone else because you love your little precious dinos colors. I looked at the legacy server list, and they have hardly any active players. Most are 5/70 at best. You think they will keep that running when they need server space right now on the new ones? Not a chance.

On 2017-09-18 at 11:49 PM, scenestr said:

i was in this same very situation and it sucks hard! we were alphas on 778 untill about a week ago, until all our problems were solved by God Squad, who decided to wipe us out of legacy servers, given it was a 2 day wipe, we didnt even defend the last day because it was actually a relief. but coming back and seeing no dinos was heartbreaking. But change is apon us sir and the new servers arrived just in time! get a foothold now! and u must remember, we played beta, we were testers. this is the release and thus the reign of new mega/alphas and the fresh start alot of us wanted. i think make your choice now, moving sooner then later will be your advantage!

i am already at the stage of breeding new lines already. you be surprised with all your experience you will breeze threw this game for the second time, and play even better!

good luck solider!

Agreed, fresh start is good, change is good. Get on a rag server for Dino levels and enjoy the breeding process.

dont cry about the past, just remember it and learn from it.

i kinda understand it sucks for pve, but it was required for pvp. As this is primarily a pvp game the reset had to happen.

IMO, playing on legacy is delaying the inevitable and just setting yourself further behind.

23 hours ago, Vrallox said:

That would be extremely reasonable which is why it won't happen. Whenever it comes to the people of Wildcard it's always a safe bet to put your money on them doing the wrong thing.

The new servers are apparently now in the same boat as the veteran servers. DDoS attacks, duping, pillars everywhere (within minutes of them going live even), etc. There's no point in keeping them separate, especially after six months, but separate they will remain until all legacy servers are taken down as it is their plan to do so.

Lol you're not the smartest kid on your block are you?

They cannot have legacy servers rejoin, there is too many hacked dinos, rexes with 1500 Melee for example.

It is NOT reasonable. And even if it was, the statement that "WC always does the wrong thing" is moronic. If you've played this game for more than 100 hours, obviously they did something right because they made a game that is fun and enjoyable to play despite some bugs& problems.

1 hour ago, Drinkinthepink said:

Lol you're not the smartest kid on your block are you?

They cannot have legacy servers rejoin, there is too many hacked dinos, rexes with 1500 Melee for example.

It is NOT reasonable. And even if it was, the statement that "WC always does the wrong thing" is moronic. If you've played this game for more than 100 hours, obviously they did something right because they made a game that is fun and enjoyable to play despite some bugs& problems.

You may want to lay off the childish name calling. The mods tend to jump on that sort of thing. If you read several other threads, like the Server Wipe one, several solutions to the glitched dino stats were brought up so no it's actually rather intelligent to see that it's entirely possible to integrate legacy into the newer cluster. You just have to have the brains to figure out how like those individuals who provided viable fixes to the animals with obscene stats.

And if you paid attention to the many questionable decisions they've made you'd know that while they can make a good game they have a hard time making good decisions in regards to almost anything else. I feel silly having to point out that that was what I was talking about but you are clearly upset and so failed to realize that.

13 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

You may want to lay off the childish name calling. The mods tend to jump on that sort of thing. If you read several other threads, like the Server Wipe one, several solutions to the glitched dino stats were brought up so no it's actually rather intelligent to see that it's entirely possible to integrate legacy into the newer cluster. You just have to have the brains to figure out how like those individuals who provided viable fixes to the animals with obscene stats.

And if you paid attention to the many questionable decisions they've made you'd know that while they can make a good game they have a hard time making good decisions in regards to almost anything else. I feel silly having to point out that that was what I was talking about but you are clearly upset and so failed to realize that.

First of all, for clarity sake, I did not use any name calling, which would be childish. There is only one smartest kid on the block and like everyone else on the block, neither you nor I are likely the smartest. If you are referring to my use of the word moronic, that was accurately describing your blanket comment of "wildcard always makes bad desisions", and not you yourself as a person. I would never call you a moron because I don't know you and you may infact be highly intelligent regardless of what you said.

That said, back to topic, I have read almost every thread that's come up in general discussions, although maybe not thoroughly. I do know without a doubt, that the servers had to wipe for many reasons, and that many people including you are upset about it. You guys grasp for solutions and workarounds to try not to lose you precious time invested in the legacy servers, and instead of accepting the necessity for the wipe, you play in denial.

Your response is full of subtle implications, "you just have to have the brains"  and "if you paid attention,, you'd know" and you followed up with "you are clearly upset and so failed to realize"...however, I am clearly not upset, I maybe be a little annoyed, but hey, as my dad would say "the world needs more noids"

However, I do believe you ARE upset, and perhaps justifiably so. But your previous comment was bashing WC for always making the wrong decisions when in fact, I do love this game and believe they've done an incredible job. Every decision they make, literally every single one, will be wrong in someone's eyes. You just strike me as an unforgiving type that will not forgive wildcard for bumping you down to legacy, and will complain on the forums until they give you what you want.

12 hours ago, Drinkinthepink said:

Sure do. Know why? Because I don't complain.

Thanks for taking the fun out of a friendly comment, doesn't bother me one bit.

edit: I bet you drive a Prius

Only if his parents bought it for him, lol.

Like, legit though...this isn't a complex issue though. If you like it, play it. If you don't like it, request changes. If those changes aren't made, don't play it. 

I don't understand the mindset of some of the folks here. You can watch people here complain about how horrible a product is, how horrible the people who created it are, and how horrible the changes to the product have been...yet here they are. I mean, I'd have to assume that these folks are either exaggerating to feel more important, or are simply masochists who are putting themselves through this because they like being miserable.

EDIT: And what's equally silly is how every time I make a point they disagree with, people like Powerstruck, ChargingParacerParacer, and IvirusI will run around for the rest of the day reacting to my posts with facepalms. lol

25 minutes ago, Drinkinthepink said:

They haven't stopped duping unfortunately, however these hacked in dinos are not in the new servers is my understanding. If you know otherwise, then please pass that info to the proper authorities, otherwise that's hearsay.

Of course its hearsay. It is only until a friendly GM spawns in a rex to place the one your lost by some weird accident.

How do you think first 1500 melee rexes were obtained ? Someone had a GM spawn them a 400 or 500% rex, then they bred the poop out of it, until it reached 1500 melee. 

1 hour ago, powerstuck said:

Of course its hearsay. It is only until a friendly GM spawns in a rex to place the one your lost by some weird accident.

How do you think first 1500 melee rexes were obtained ? Someone had a GM spawn them a 400 or 500% rex, then they bred the poop out of it, until it reached 1500 melee. 

While I can't say whether this hasn't happened because I wasn't there, I do know from experience it's possible to get rexes like that over time...but on official it takes a LOT of no-lifing to get there. I've had a few rex breeding lines with similar melee stats, but it took a LONG time to find one with such a starting point. The dinos I bred the most on PvP servers were battle Pteras.

The last time I was breeding a lot of PvP Pteras was on the Valhalla map. (Max wild was 120 at the time) I started off one wipe-season (PvP servers I played on would have 2-3 month wipe cycles) finding a 428 MD bird. Because it was a boosted taming server (10x taming, IIRC), I would spend a fair amount of time flying around with a spyglass knocking down EVERY Ptera I saw above lvl88or so. If it didn't tame out with more stamina, health, or melee than my best, it was killed. Due to the quantity (map size and taming rates) of Pteras I could knock down and tame in a few hours, I would BLAST through tames. Every 20 or so Pteras between lvl88-120 one would wake up with a crazy stat that immediately went into a somewhat-fresh line of birds without too many mutations. 

With the quantity alone, I was able to get a few 523+ pteras, and a tribe mate was popping out 502 MD rexes. (Another was getting some crazy argents at the same time, and I had 450md dimos) We repeated this process after each wipe and could build a decent arsenal fairly quickly by taming a metric crapton of dinos until we found one with a crazy high stat. Now, keep in mind that this was before imprinting was a thing...and if you can get a pre-imprint tame that high, imprinting it means you have an absolute wrecking ball.

While the process was vastly less time consuming on the unofficial PvP server I was on, official PvP players were doing the exact same thing, but in most cases they would have tribe members on multiple servers looking for these freaks of nature. Once they found one it would go from server to server, wherever that tribe had some turf, increasing the breed lines. 

Is it possible that a GM spawned something in that made a tribe OP? Sure. But as with all things conspiracy related, I'm more inclined to defer to Occam's razor. The result that requires the least assumption is that a group of people went full-on no-life to find freak of nature dinos...but it only requires the least assumption for me because I've gone full-on no-life to find freak of nature dinos. lol

edit: started to correct spelling, but gave up

2 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Is it possible that a GM spawned something in that made a tribe OP? Sure. But as with all things conspiracy related, I'm more inclined to defer to Occam's razor. The result that requires the least assumption is that a group of people went full-on no-life to find freak of nature dinos...but it only requires the least assumption for me because I've gone full-on no-life to find freak of nature dinos. lol

I am not saying there are not people out there who spend every second of their life doing just that, breeding non stop.

But it has been documented with proof (obviously not on survivetheark.com) and screenshots of what people got. An example : https://imgur.com/a/CwARn

7 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

I am not saying there are not people out there who spend every second of their life doing just that, breeding non stop.

But it has been documented with proof (obviously not on survivetheark.com) and screenshots of what people got. An example : https://imgur.com/a/CwARn

Like I said, I don't think it's impossible that happened, but I've never actually seen the proof of it. Ultimately my point was that having stats that you described is entirely possible without any outside assistance. Outside of the time sink, it's something that is fairly easy to attain to a committed tribe with lots of idle hands. 

Your post read like you were suggesting the only reason Rexes like that exist is due to spawning and/or abuse. If that wasn't your intent, my bad. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint for those who might stumble across the thread in the future. 

EDIT: Also...just looked closer at the screenshots...those are some rough graphics settings, lol. I don't miss the game looking like that.

20 hours ago, Drinkinthepink said:

First of all, for clarity sake, I did not use any name calling, which would be childish. There is only one smartest kid on the block and like everyone else on the block, neither you nor I are likely the smartest. If you are referring to my use of the word moronic, that was accurately describing your blanket comment of "wildcard always makes bad desisions", and not you yourself as a person. I would never call you a moron because I don't know you and you may infact be highly intelligent regardless of what you said.

That said, back to topic, I have read almost every thread that's come up in general discussions, although maybe not thoroughly. I do know without a doubt, that the servers had to wipe for many reasons, and that many people including you are upset about it. You guys grasp for solutions and workarounds to try not to lose you precious time invested in the legacy servers, and instead of accepting the necessity for the wipe, you play in denial.

Your response is full of subtle implications, "you just have to have the brains"  and "if you paid attention,, you'd know" and you followed up with "you are clearly upset and so failed to realize"...however, I am clearly not upset, I maybe be a little annoyed, but hey, as my dad would say "the world needs more noids"

However, I do believe you ARE upset, and perhaps justifiably so. But your previous comment was bashing WC for always making the wrong decisions when in fact, I do love this game and believe they've done an incredible job. Every decision they make, literally every single one, will be wrong in someone's eyes. You just strike me as an unforgiving type that will not forgive wildcard for bumping you down to legacy, and will complain on the forums until they give you what you want.

Ah. Well then it appears neither of us is actually upset. And if you merely were commenting on my ideas and not making personal attacks then let's just move on. Those "subtle implications" were simply in response to the perceived personal attack so think nothing of them.

As I alluded to earlier I am not upset. Yes, I've put in thousands of hours into the server I play on but I'm not exactly attached to any of it. Having everything go up in smoke wouldn't put much of a dent in my day. The loss of the community on the other hand is going to be rather irritating. Some are quite fond of their collection of pixels and they are very nice people. Playing alongside most of them for over a year has been enjoyable. Seeing how upset and despondent they are in regards to Wildcard's planned slow death of the server makes it hard not to raise some questions about the company's decision making process.

I'm not under the illusion that Wildcard would do anything positive for the legacy community. Nothing will get them to do so. My posts have no goal of influencing the people of Wildcard. While I once again point out that they have made a good game their decisions surrounding that game seem to be suspect at the very least. And there are always those who will applaud those decisions just as there will always be those who question them.

Archived