Feeling utterly defeated

ValaRhan

I feel so defeated. I've put in over 2k hours on my server (now marked Legacy) have several 'special' dinos (with mutations and such) that I was working on hot and heavy. And then SWC declares that they're not wiping the servers, but making them legacy and 'isolating' them from the rest of the servers. So all the breeding work I've done to make awesome dinos (whether by colors or stats, or both) is now sidelined and I have to start over on 'official' servers.

I feel so very defeated. I don't want to lose my work! I don't want to lose all the dinos I've worked so hard to breed and improve - but it's inevitable if cross-ark isn't permitted. People will slowly leave the Legacy servers, and the population will diminish to the point that SWC will want to repurpose them. And each parting person is one more nail in the server's coffin.

SAVE PVE-OfficialServer-38 and the rest of the legacy servers still alive - give them a fighting chance!

So Sorry to hear it. I know the feeling. I would recommend taking some time off and then starting over on a new server. It can be a lot of fun starting over anew sometimes. I know this prolly isn't what you want to hear right now but just know it's not just you this is happening to. Loss can make you stronger.

I've had to completely start over 5 times now.

If you've ever played PvP you'll know what it's like to start over again... I know it sucks. I spent three or four days finding a new server and moving all our tames over just for the new server to die out and probably get wiped to. 

I don't know for sure but I've heard through the grape vine that they might let people transfer their stuff from legacy to the new clusters after they've been around for a while.. all speculation at this point but I did just receive a bunch of free tames over it... I'm going to start a new character and just enjoy the legacy stuff while I can 

59 minutes ago, ValaRhan said:

I feel so defeated. I've put in over 2k hours on my server (now marked Legacy) have several 'special' dinos (with mutations and such) that I was working on hot and heavy. And then SWC declares that they're not wiping the servers, but making them legacy and 'isolating' them from the rest of the servers. So all the breeding work I've done to make awesome dinos (whether by colors or stats, or both) is now sidelined and I have to start over on 'official' servers.

I feel so very defeated. I don't want to lose my work! I don't want to lose all the dinos I've worked so hard to breed and improve - but it's inevitable if cross-ark isn't permitted. People will slowly leave the Legacy servers, and the population will diminish to the point that SWC will want to repurpose them. And each parting person is one more nail in the server's coffin.

SAVE PVE-OfficialServer-38 and the rest of the legacy servers still alive - give them a fighting chance!

I don't remember where, but I'm 90% certain the Devs at WC already announced that they will not be repurposing anymore Legacy Servers. If they are, however, they will always upload the latest save state to the Cloud, available for you to download and host on Single Player or as a Player Dedicated with Official rates.

Imagine you love your car... you customize it, give it a cool paint job, you've accumulated many memories with friends while driving that car, you have sentimental attachment.

now, someone offers you a brand new free car for you and each of your friends... do you decline and continue driving your old car with 300k on it? Or accept the new car and start customizing it all over again?

ill say, the new car is fuuuun :)

46 minutes ago, Teddansen said:

If you've ever played PvP you'll know what it's like to start over again... I know it sucks. I spent three or four days finding a new server and moving all our tames over just for the new server to die out and probably get wiped to. 

I don't know for sure but I've heard through the grape vine that they might let people transfer their stuff from legacy to the new clusters after they've been around for a while.. all speculation at this point but I did just receive a bunch of free tames over it... I'm going to start a new character and just enjoy the legacy stuff while I can 

I actually started on PvP - got wiped and moved to PvE (and have had to restart a couple times). At this point I'm at (or was) at a really happy point on my server (in one of the stronger PvE tribes, and with a good reputation and honor base following). We [my tribe] have started on some non-legacy servers in the hopes that this same rumor actually happens, as they've seen it happen with the SE maps and indeed the Rag maps more recently.

And Orion, if that were true then you've succored my emotions! Any chance you could dig it up somewhere for verification (if not I'll be looking myself in the near-ish future) cause that would really make me feel better. Of course, so would Cross-Ark to non-legacy.

1st: The save files are nice, but do nothing if you're breading, unless you want to trade with yourself... Not a good option..!  I have over 6k hours, (yeah I know, addicted) but If I want to bread and trade with others Cross ARK (or just have a friendly chat with my neighbor on my Legacy server (WC hasn't figured out how to save the personalities of the players you play with), then the new servers are the way to go and I don't want to be a newbie when there are well established tribes way ahead on everything.  At this point I am on 7 servers, Legacy and New which is too many even for me...  I've started over many times (new servers, being Giga nibbles, whatever) and it can be fun, but I don't appreciate the choice being made for me, and I want to continue breeding my Unicorns, Rex's, etc...  

2nd: Playing PVP is not a fair or accurate comparison, since we play PVE for a reason. We want stability and the ability to build and breed, etc.  If you play PVE you also want to support your neighbors in their endeavors, which is obviously not a reason to play PVP.  The two have an environment in common and that's all.   

3rd: Wildcard did say they would look at the number of players on each Legacy server every few weeks/months (not sure which) and if the numbers are low they would be slated to be re-purposed and save files would be made available with the save date/time the same at when the announcement was made public.

4th: The only reason I've continued to keep my Legacy Server bases active was in the hopes that at some point when the players on the new servers are established that WC will let us transfer between Legacy and New servers, but with each day that passes that hope grows dimmer and feels more hopeless.

If you are a Legacy player it feels terrible to just walk away from over 2 years of work and 6k hours of Life Time and makes me question if I truly want to put more Real Life hours into a game where the developers obviously Do Not value their players.  What would the developers do if their management said 'Stop work on ARK, we are going to start work on the new Muppet Game, get your green frogs ready...', I'm betting they would not be pleased. 

Lastly, We signed up for the promised "Early Release" not a true Beta.  In Early Release you continue with your current game as is, and the new players either join a thriving community, -OR- new servers with a fresh open environment.  There should be both options..!  

#SavetheLegacyServers

4 minutes ago, Drinkinthepink said:

Imagine you love your car... you customize it, give it a cool paint job, you've accumulated many memories with friends while driving that car, you have sentimental attachment.

now, someone offers you a brand new free car for you and each of your friends... do you decline and continue driving your old car with 300k on it? Or accept the new car and start customizing it all over again?

ill say, the new car is fuuuun :)

Been in a situation like this - only the van was much more sentimental and I wept when we had to junk it (it had belonged to my father before he passed, and I had saved it from being sold the year before).

I'm a rather sentimental person. (Libra, might explain some, though not all)

You will never be able to transfer stuff from legacy to new clusters. Never. The riots on the forums for those that abandoned legacy to go to new servers, when a few months later they opened all transfers. Yeah that will never happen. Well, who knows, I mean it IS WC we talking about.

OP, it sucks, your in a bad spot. But honestly, just some random guys opinion. Start fresh tomorrow...or tonight, don't invest more time into legal y. Start fresh, won't be as hard as you imagine. Playing for so long you will have picked up tricks and shortcuts. But don't wait, I have never played pve but from what I hear, you want to be in asap for a good spot. So just make the plunge, or find another game. Its harsh, but legacy servers are like death row. No matter what you do, a ways down the road their like life will end and you will lose EVERYTHING. Take the plunge now before you invest more time and emotions to your game.

3 minutes ago, LittleRedReaper said:

A lot of people are in the same boat. I was so angry when I learned they were dropping support for legacy. I was even more angry when everyone started leaving legacy. Here I was getting these awesome Gigas (finally) with mutations and started just doing boss battles (and actually winning) and now it was all for nothing. BUT begrudgingly I started on a new Island server because our legacy was dead, even now it's only 5 people max. I have had an amazingly wonderful time getting my a** handed to me every 5 seconds. I love the pride of starting from the ground up. I love getting high level dinos again. If they wipe every ark server and the game no longer exists, well, I have over 3k+ hours, met amazing friends (including my now best friend), have had really stupidly great experiences in a game that despite its faults has provided me with more hours and fun in game than any in my living memory. We can be upset (and I am), but hasn't it been worth it?

“You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went, you can curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go.”

Yes, ultimately I'm aware, when all is said and done eventually it will happen. It happened with SWG years ago and I was devasted then - took me weeks before I started to bounce back, being emotional just sucks. I have started with my tribe on two new non-legacy servers - but I'm unwilling to let go of the legacy server I'm on, in hopes - thin though they may be - that SWC will someday enable them to cross-ark.

1 minute ago, LittleRedReaper said:

It really does suck. My tribemate and I are feeding and resetting timers just in case a miracle happens. I sure do miss all my useless horses though lol :(

So you get it. That's about where I'm at.. I've got horses, a few giga's, even some eggs pending hatching, and a decently high lvl unicorn I JUST traded for (before the kill-list was issued) to improve my corn line. I haven't even had a chance to breed it yet, and have little reason to, now. QQ

I am still playing on legacy servers . We have had a lot of new 1st time players join as well as a lot of refugees, players come and go its business as usual. The thing is I still have a few steam achievements that i want to get so i am not going to just throw away all my stuff to start again while I can still get those achievements. I did join the new cluster to get a little bit of a start and I really cant see the difference there is still pillars everywhere ,servers are laggy and sometimes you can't even get on because they are already full. Separation and clean servers might be a good thing for pvp but on pve it just raptored players over and made unhappy customers.

i was in this same very situation and it sucks hard! we were alphas on 778 untill about a week ago, until all our problems were solved by God Squad, who decided to wipe us out of legacy servers, given it was a 2 day wipe, we didnt even defend the last day because it was actually a relief. but coming back and seeing no dinos was heartbreaking. But change is apon us sir and the new servers arrived just in time! get a foothold now! and u must remember, we played beta, we were testers. this is the release and thus the reign of new mega/alphas and the fresh start alot of us wanted. i think make your choice now, moving sooner then later will be your advantage!

i am already at the stage of breeding new lines already. you be surprised with all your experience you will breeze threw this game for the second time, and play even better!

good luck solider!

• Volunteer Moderator

My SE server has been closed but not my island one. I'm still playing on it. Passed from being ranked #160 and now is #1540. Pretty sure it will be on the next kill list. Which I hope so, cause I want to host it on my own. Game is great, but officials are garbage. Only pros of officials was social/trading and they much killed that aspect with the upload timers. Can't wait to play on my own server, with my legacy base & dinos along with bringing back my speedy flyers.

Screw officials.

The more I play the new servers the less I want my legacy servers anymore. Ive been refreshing my main legacy server in hopes I can keep it going untill I can get the save for myself, but the fact that they pulled support was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Ive started fresh on this game more times than I can count, infact I enjoy the early game so much more than mid to late game, so It wasnt a big deal to me. I already have 5 different characters on the new servers, 2 on pve, one of which is lvl 84, and 3 on pvp, one in the 60s, the other two around 50. Every 2x event I try to make a new pvp character and do an explorer note run lol.

Like stated above, if you're a vet you've likely picked up alot of skills and tips along the way, so you'll breeze the the early game portion in no time.  

I can understand you feel that way but it's just a game after all. It wasnt really work, it was fun. If it wasnt fun to do all of that than what are you sad about? The truth is, you should have fun on the way and not only when you reach your goal. This all virtual and it's not here to stay. Official servers will be shut down at some point in the future, you will not be able to show your grandchildren the cool stuff you accomplished on your ARK server. Because servers will be gone at that point.

With that in mind just go play on the new servers, or unofficial or even singleplayer. The one thing you take with you is knowlege and experience, it's the only thing that will stick with you anyway.

10 hours ago, johnm81 said:

After 6 months post launch they should allow legacy servers to become 'official' with all transfering abilities. The logic to not allowing it was to give new players a chance. Well they will be established enough 6 months imo.

Problem is the duped items being transferred to the new cluster. This wouldn't work unless WC went and deleted all duped items.

4 hours ago, HoganRyan01 said:

Problem is the duped items being transferred to the new cluster. This wouldn't work unless WC went and deleted all duped items.

By then the new servers will be full of duped items as well. The new timers didnt stop duping, only slowed it down. Anyone with half a brain and the patience to wait can still dupe no problem. Someone on our server already built a lag tower complete with all the bells and whistles to crash the server. They've been reported by multiple ppl on our server but to so far nothing has been done...

• Volunteer Moderator
16 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't remember where, but I'm 90% certain the Devs at WC already announced that they will not be repurposing anymore Legacy Servers. 

This is incorrect. They said they will continue to evaluate (by population) the legacy servers every few months and repurpose as needed.

Archived