Rex taming raft.

Danisimo

Hey guys,

Fairly new player here. I was trying to build a rex taming raft and while watching these super old videos I realized 2 things.
1. Rexes can no longer fit through dino gates, only behemoth.
2. You can't place behemoth gates on rafts.

Is it still possible to build a practical rex taming raft? I'm dead set on doing it so I'll tear down the walls to get my tames out if I have to but I'd rather build a practical one if it's possible. I just can't think of anything more practical than carrying a bunch of crafted wooden ramps and placing them on the inside after taming, luring it out and destroying them. Ideas? And while we're at it. Are 2 walls still high enough to block a rex or has that been changed too?

18 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Yes. Put 3 dino gates on your raft. Lead the rex up the ramps, onto the raft. There should be one dino gate in front, and one on either side of the wild rex. 

When the rex gets on the ramp, have your buddy open the dino gates to the left and the right of the rex. GG.

Thanks for the tips but I still don't understand. Rex doesn't fit through a dinosaur gate. How does having 3 gates change that? What's different from having walls and 1 gate? Does it somehow fit if you have 3 gates?

2 minutes ago, Danisimo said:

Thanks for the tips but I still don't understand. Rex doesn't fit through a dinosaur gate. How does having 3 gates change that? What's different from having walls and 1 gate? Does it somehow fit if you have 3 gates?

Ok...make a square with 4 dino gateways. Put 4 gateway-doors on them and you have a square.

Remove one gateway and one gateway-door from that square.

Now you have 3 gateways with one open side where there used to be a gateway

Run the rex into the 4th side where the gateway used to be.

Once the rex has run into the trap, open the gateway doors on the left and right of the rex.

The open doors will block the opening, and the rex can't get out through the open gates.

...alternatively, keep an extra gateway in your pockets, and when the rex goes into your trap, put the gateway down. Demolish it when the rex is tamed.

Just now, dslick said:

just YOLO the rex on foot with an xbow and some tranq arrows. trust me, the AI makes it run from you making it cake.

but no they changed the hitboxes of rexes and will no longer fit in dino gates. only way is maybe build a ramp and walls so that the rex can't run away. 

The issue is never the rex. The issue is the stuff around the rex.

You could build a simple taming pen. Four foundations with four walls in a line. Make ramps off the walls to the ground. Then create the rest of the box with fence foundations and doorways, 2 high.

I usually have the pieces pre-made so when I see a good Rex out in the wild I can go grab the pieces and through them together somewhere near the area of the Rex.

Then comes the fun part. Either on foot, or kite with a bird and have the Rex chase you up the ramp till it falls in the trap. Then tranq away.

You may be able to build something similar on a raft. Oh, and make it all out of stone.

Don't need to use dino gates.  Use 9 foundations on the raft.  Make sure you sink them 5 times with wood/thatch pieces.  Once at the sunken point, place your 9 stone or metal foundations.  Then where the driver stands build a door leading out one side and 3 walls and a ceiling.  Above that ceiling, build 12 ceilings in a 3x4, this should extend out the back of the raft, not the front.  You should now how a doofy looking 3x4 flat area above your fully enclosed foundation raft with driver spot.  Build up on the 3x4 with 2 metal/stone walls all around the edges.  On the front of the raft, put 3 ramps leading down to the water line, which should allow easy access up the ramp.

Now, I made a mistake earlier.  You put the 2 walls high edging around the 3x4, but you leave one of those walls as an open doorframe leading out the back of the raft.

Now, the trap.  Drive the raft into the coast near the rex you wanna capture, making sure the ramps are flush against the ground.  Get out and agro the rex.  Lead the rex up the ramp and jump into the 3x4 pit.  It will follow.  Now run out the doorframe.  You can now pilot the boat and drive the trapped rex wherever you want.  Once you knock it out, you can't move the boat.  If you move the boat the rex won't move with it.  This also works with Alphas, but Alpha Rex's and maybe carnos can walk over a 2 high wall.... and you'll want that boat to be metal.

after you build the taming raft and a Leeds comes and sinks it while your taming the Rex you can go on the Leeds too OP Nerf it it destroyed my raft thread <,< lol..but in all seriousness i used a taming raft when i 1st start a new toon, not used one for a long time now i just make taming pens since on a private server with S+ if i even bother at all. its easy enough to use 2 or 3 dino gates to form most of the box with a ramp at one end and then a wall to finish it off, pick up/destroy which ever you want to get it out after taming. 

Only thing against you now is the huge fish things which destroy rafts in a couple hits, be on guard or wave bye bye to your raft and maybe Rex too if it drowns 

man...so many people didn't bother reading the real questions being asked

yes, the easiest way besides having to demo a wall/gate, is to keep some wooden ramps to help the rex out

as for 2 walls, they usually work, but sometimes the rex can manage to climb out, so 3 walls high is safest...or using the dino gates

18 hours ago, Danisimo said:

Hey guys,

Fairly new player here. I was trying to build a rex taming raft and while watching these super old videos I realized 2 things.
1. Rexes can no longer fit through dino gates, only behemoth.
2. You can't place behemoth gates on rafts.

Is it still possible to build a practical rex taming raft? I'm dead set on doing it so I'll tear down the walls to get my tames out if I have to but I'd rather build a practical one if it's possible. I just can't think of anything more practical than carrying a bunch of crafted wooden ramps and placing them on the inside after taming, luring it out and destroying them. Ideas? And while we're at it. Are 2 walls still high enough to block a rex or has that been changed too?

I just chase the thing down shooting it with a crossbow on foot. I have 1400 hours, and that's what I've always been doing

Archived