Fastest Sea Creature?

Jacira

So I just kibb tamed a 150 Angler and I'm curious to know what I need to prioritise for it's stats. I'm guessing melee dmg to harvest more pearls. But the main thing I'm concerned about is preservation. I have already out ran electric eels and pletz with it but not sure if it can outrun megs.

Are there any other predators I need to worry about catching it? Ergo, do I need to up it's movement speed at all?

I'd prioritize Stamina over Movement Speed, since the sprint speed of a tamed Angler is good enough to out-swim most wild creatures and Stamina also comes in handy for long-duration fights. But over those, I'd just go with Melee and Health. As long as you don't get grabbed by a Tuso, with a decent chunk of Health you can usually just swim straight up and survive anything that comes to attack you, especially since the biggest threats (Mosa, Alpha Mosa) other than Tuso can't really ascend vertically and attack at the same time very effectively.

long as nothing sneaks up on you the major threat you'll face is alpha megalodons, they are every bit as aggressive as normal ones (unlike most alphas who have a reduced aggro radius, alpha sharks will almost aggro on you as soon as they can see you) but the lack of armor (as anglers dont wear saddles) is a real concern when puttering around on those, if anything really nasty does get the jump on you your pretty much boned but 'normal' stuff wont pose much of a threat, IE standard issue sharks, plesios and mosas.

Personally, first 10 points into speed, at least. That makes you able to outrun anything and those levels come easy enough.  After that 10-15 into stamina to make sure you don't get caught by anything by getting pooped out. After that, your choice really, melee will garner you more pearls, weight will let you carry more on your person, more speed and stamina obviously. Health, honestly I don't bother with as apart from the odd blow, I'm running away from everything that takes an unhealthy interest in me, I'll only pump it if I get a really low statted one, 4-5k is fine as I don't plan on getting hit. So yeah really, speed, stamina, melee are your priorities imo if you're looking at a purely pearl gatherer, which considering the lack of saddle, lowish damage, and poor attack range is all they're good for apart from night time exploration and making the water pen all purty.

• 5 months later...
56 minutes ago, DonaldDuck said:

Yea Ichtyosaurus or Dolphin is the fastest that I know, and it's small,

I can out-swim everything and scout the sea looking for high level water creature to tame, never tried it to fight but nothing can chase it especially when leveled up the speed. It's really really fast !

I usually pump stamina, whats the point of speed when its already the quickest water dino ;p

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Klakky said:

I usually pump stamina, whats the point of speed when its already the quickest water dino ;p

Speed is still preferable in my opinion. Why? You need only 130% speed to be as fast as a sprinting 100% one so by pumping speed you can swim around without using shift and be faster without ever needing any stamina. ;)

You can level up movement speed on all the water creatures.  so...  not sure what the point of this is.

You can naked solo run the Caverns of Lost Hope -  on a dolphin or an angler pretty easily with minimal points in movement speed.   Honestly, that's fast enough.  There's no real need to outrun anything in the water because you just have to swim up.   The only thing you can't really outrun is a squid when it grabs you or a jellyfish when it stuns you.

2 hours ago, Kayin said:

You can level up movement speed on all the water creatures.  so...  not sure what the point of this is.

You can naked solo run the Caverns of Lost Hope -  on a dolphin or an angler pretty easily with minimal points in movement speed.   Honestly, that's fast enough.  There's no real need to outrun anything in the water because you just have to swim up.   The only thing you can't really outrun is a squid when it grabs you or a jellyfish when it stuns you.

The point of this thread was described in the original post. OP wanted to know if they'd need to pump speed on their angler to outrun other sea creatures while hunting pearls. As far as I can tell it had nothing to do with the Caverns of Lost Hope or tips on getting through it.

21 hours ago, Jamage007 said:

Mosa's and Plesi's are the equal fastest water tames in Ark not Itchy's believe it or not.

Wild mosas/plessies are kind of quick sprinting in a straight line, but they're not fast enough for the OP to need to dump a bunch of points into speed on their Angler to get away from them. As far as sea creatures go, they're the two easiest to get away from...especially on a dino that can swim vertically.

@OP - You don't need to increase speed...but it's worth doing if you plan on doing a lot of farming.

Archived