Getting picked by birds

Taconite

What is the most effective method in your experience to kill the person who picked you and or his bird?

does a sword have enough reach to attack a pteranodon when they are sprinting straight upwards? Would a pump shotgun be a good way to quickly kill the rider? Bolas don't really work because the bird generally outruns them. I feel like a flamethrower might be a good option to kill them quickly. Thoughts?

i play on the new servers on Xbox pvp and have been going drop hunting on scorched. Main problem I have is everyone is extremely hostile and aim to kill at first sight. Just trying to find a way to kill the people who decide to pick me so they don't get the loot I've gathered.

2 hours ago, Taconite said:

What is the most effective method in your experience to kill the person who picked you and or his bird?

does a sword have enough reach to attack a pteranodon when they are sprinting straight upwards? Would a pump shotgun be a good way to quickly kill the rider? Bolas don't really work because the bird generally outruns them. I feel like a flamethrower might be a good option to kill them quickly. Thoughts?

i play on the new servers on Xbox pvp and have been going drop hunting on scorched. Main problem I have is everyone is extremely hostile and aim to kill at first sight. Just trying to find a way to kill the people who decide to pick me so they don't get the loot I've gathered.

Flame thrower is the best way to kill you attacker. However they are hard to come by early on. So as far as early game goes. Always carry bolas and parachutes with you ( I usually run 5-10 bolas 3-5 parachutes ) Another needed weapon is a whip as knocking them off there bird to then quickly clubing them out will work wonders. I normally use this method but, make sure you go strait for the rider as he will be focusing on getting back on his bird instead of you giving you a extra moment to get the first swing in. However late game using a flame thrower is by far the best way ( chainsaws can be fun to as they shred pteras really quick.) With the flamethrower you will be causing damage to both the bird and the rider at a decently fast pace.

Extra tips: 

If you do get picked and droped make sure you wait to pull your parachute if you are high up. if you pull it too soon you will be a floating bullseye for your opponent to wail on.

If you are out riding a rex or gigga or a gather of sorts and you want some extra security. make sure you keep stacks of wood, stone, raw metal ( anything easy to get thats heavy ) on your tame so when you go out you can fill your inventory with the weighted items. This works wonders with rexs. and even more so if you are picked by a ptera because the ptera will not be able to move and your rex will have a chicken dinner sitting right in front of his face to nibble on.

These are all things I found great during fight to help last longer in a fight and give me a extra edge over my opponents. You can also keep regeneration brews on you aswell. These will help you in multiple ways. one it will allow you to have a quick way to regenerate with little effort and also in snow fights it can get cold and your health can drop like stamina if not wearing fur. So they give you a extra fuel tank to stay up there longer. 

This is my last resort but has saved me many a time: If you get picked and you have no parachutes/bolas/whip nothing then press start and exit to main menu, then get back into the server asap. You will automatically be dropped by the picker and you will start to fall to the ground. You can also do this if you have already been dropped before you hit the ground exit to main menu, also works if you accidentally dismount whilst flying or get knocked of a quetz platform. 

4 hours ago, PrimalBroom744 said:

Flame thrower is the best way to kill you attacker. However they are hard to come by early on. So as far as early game goes. Always carry bolas and parachutes with you ( I usually run 5-10 bolas 3-5 parachutes ) Another needed weapon is a whip as knocking them off there bird to then quickly clubing them out will work wonders. I normally use this method but, make sure you go strait for the rider as he will be focusing on getting back on his bird instead of you giving you a extra moment to get the first swing in. However late game using a flame thrower is by far the best way ( chainsaws can be fun to as they shred pteras really quick.) With the flamethrower you will be causing damage to both the bird and the rider at a decently fast pace.

Extra tips: 

If you do get picked and droped make sure you wait to pull your parachute if you are high up. if you pull it too soon you will be a floating bullseye for your opponent to wail on.

If you are out riding a rex or gigga or a gather of sorts and you want some extra security. make sure you keep stacks of wood, stone, raw metal ( anything easy to get thats heavy ) on your tame so when you go out you can fill your inventory with the weighted items. This works wonders with rexs. and even more so if you are picked by a ptera because the ptera will not be able to move and your rex will have a chicken dinner sitting right in front of his face to nibble on.

These are all things I found great during fight to help last longer in a fight and give me a extra edge over my opponents. You can also keep regeneration brews on you aswell. These will help you in multiple ways. one it will allow you to have a quick way to regenerate with little effort and also in snow fights it can get cold and your health can drop like stamina if not wearing fur. So they give you a extra fuel tank to stay up there longer. 

I like the flamethrower idea, I assume it would kill a ptera quite quickly but I don't have a good bp for one yet and I'm not sure if a primitive one would be worth it. For the moment I might just go with a pump action shotgun and some bolas/parachutes

7 hours ago, Griffin1984 said:

Get your weight up to about 400 and keep it at 300 filled, every pteranodon picking you up will just be unable to move :) nothing needed except for that :) 

While being a good general solution, I am actually using a pteradon to run the deep sea loot crates so I wouldn't be able to fly myself

On 9/17/2017 at 6:40 PM, Taconite said:

I like the flamethrower idea, I assume it would kill a ptera quite quickly but I don't have a good bp for one yet and I'm not sure if a primitive one would be worth it. For the moment I might just go with a pump action shotgun and some bolas/parachutes

A prim flammer would be okay but, yes a nice Bp with something over 175% dam is more ideal as it will make short work of a ptera and they can have a nasty bite on argies as well. a primitive pump won't do you to much favors unless you get lucky with some head shots.

1 hour ago, PrimalBroom744 said:

A prim flammer would be okay but, yes a nice Bp with something over 175% dam is more ideal as it will make short work of a ptera and they can have a nasty bite on argies as well. a primitive pump won't do you to much favors unless you get lucky with some head shots.

Even by shooting the rider? Shot my tribemate with it and it broke his armor first shot and killed him the second. I would imagine since I'll be on scorched it will do even more to ghille 

6 minutes ago, Taconite said:

Even by shooting the rider? Shot my tribemate with it and it broke his armor first shot and killed him the second. I would imagine since I'll be on scorched it will do even more to ghille 

true but, will do jack diddly poop to anyone in riot ( riot is very common in deep desert drops ) while the flamer is elemental and negates the vast majority of armor value and the armor value is the only thing that matters as riot has a high resistance to torpor and ballistic damage. A guy in ghille or primitive flak however will indeed go down quickly. However I would still go for a flamer as the damage they do + the fact they have a large cone for its spread making it next to impossible to miss. makes a flamer very valuable in my opinion. But, yes a Pump is definitely not a weapon to be trifled with  either. You can find upgraded ones in regular yellow and red drops as well and they can put the smack down on someone quick.

• Volunteer Moderator

To kill the person? I'd say the whole whip and bolo that's been suggested by people above.

To deter a person, you would probably do well with getting your self infected with swamp fever.

To annoy a person, I guess shooting them or their bird with an aggro dart would probably be a hilarious sight to see, specially if you're in the swamp where meganeura and dimorphodons abound.

My go to is grapples and either a good pike, sword and decent melee.

If you are riding a dino, always have your grapple out and ready, get picked, grapple bird and pike the Sh/It out of it till it dies. I do this to wyverns as well.

bolas in my experience either miss or you are dropped before you can bola it. the other downside is they do not work on argies or wyverns. Grapple method kills all.

You can also use a whip but from my experience it does not work some of the time and can get you killed.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

To kill the person? I'd say the whole whip and bolo that's been suggested by people above.

To deter a person, you would probably do well with getting your self infected with swamp fever.

To annoy a person, I guess shooting them or their bird with an aggro dart would probably be a hilarious sight to see, specially if you're in the swamp where meganeura and dimorphodons abound.

There is swamp fever on scorched? I'm basically just looking for a way to kill off anyone trying to pick me while running deep sea loot crates on scorched

12 minutes ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

My go to is grapples and either a good pike, sword and decent melee.

If you are riding a dino, always have your grapple out and ready, get picked, grapple bird and pike the Sh/It out of it till it dies. I do this to wyverns as well.

bolas in my experience either miss or you are dropped before you can bola it. the other downside is they do not work on argies or wyverns. Grapple method kills all.

You can also use a whip but from my experience it does not work some of the time and can get you killed.

Yeah I might just start carrying grapples. The problem is though if they are smart they will immediately smash you into the ground and kill you with fall damage

Archived